ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey goes from an all time Boiler favorite to all time scapegoat in one game.

Wrong:

“The 37th annual NBA Draft Lottery will determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2021 NBA Draft. Drawings will be conducted to determine the first four picks in the NBA Draft. The remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions five through 14 in inverse order of their 2020-21 regular-season records.”

Yeah the top 4 are the actual "lottery" picks. The rest goes by their previous years record.

I think he will be picked in the top 5.
It's possible. I don't see it. Maybe top 10. Who knows though. Player in basketball and football get drafted really high and are complete flops. Lower drafted players are become some of the best ever. So who knows.

Wrong:

“The 37th annual NBA Draft Lottery will determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2021 NBA Draft. Drawings will be conducted to determine the first four picks in the NBA Draft. The remainder of the “lottery teams” will select in positions five through 14 in inverse order of their 2020-21 regular-season records.”

You are both technically right. 1-4 are the only ones that are actually allocated by chance but first 14 teams participate. First 14 is viewed as lottery for rookie salary scale purposes though.

It's possible. I don't see it. Maybe top 10. Who knows though. Player in basketball and football get drafted really high and are complete flops. Lower drafted players are become some of the best ever. So who knows.
Dude will be a better pro than a college player. Jaden needs space. Now that the season is over, I thought he made a mistake coming to Purdue. We don’t utilize a player like him properly. We constantly clog his driving lanes with front court and their defenders.

You are both technically right. 1-4 are the only ones that are actually allocated by chance but first 14 teams participate. First 14 is viewed as lottery for rookie salary scale purposes though.
This is true. We are both "technically" correct. I consider it the top 4. If we are saying it's the top 14 then yeah I'm not taking that bet.

Dude will be a better pro than a college player. Jaden needs space. Now that the season is over, I thought he made a mistake coming to Purdue. We don’t utilize a player like him properly. We constantly clog his driving lanes with front court and their defenders.
Yup. He needs to play with rim running bigs, or bigs who can shoot.

Reactions: purduepat1969
No. All 14 teams are in the lottery and have a chance at the top pick.
Yes, that was my point if not clear. The 14 worst teams have a chance at the top 4 picks. Thereafter, it goes by record, but top 14 are considered lottery picks for salary purposes. I would agree in ordinary use top 14 is generally considered lottery but other poster’s technical point about what picks are the lottery picks in that they are allocated by chance (ergo, a lottery) is also right. It is why the announcers know someone has jumped up when going through the picks in descending order on draft lottery show.

Yes, that was my point if not clear. The 14 worst teams have a chance at the top 4 picks. Thereafter, it goes by record, but top 14 are considered lottery picks for salary purposes. I would agree in ordinary use top 14 is generally considered lottery but other poster’s technical point about what picks are the lottery picks in that they are allocated by chance (ergo, a lottery) is also right. It is why the announcers know someone has jumped up when going through the picks in descending order on draft lottery show.
All 14 picks are allocated by chance.

Wow, be careful
Some people can’t handle that he isn’t ready for prime time, yet
He is not ready, but, that is irrelevant...it is that they believe he will be at some point, and, they want to have him when he is.

He never takes the pull-up jumper that is there for the taking... 3 poiter or to the glass. 6 turnovers.., ?
He doesn't have a pull-up jumper, so, why would he take it?

He does not have a great offensive game...yet...a ton of ability though, and, can do things athletically that other's cannot.

He will develop a pull-up jumper, and, he will continue to work on his shooting as well at the next level.

The guy is not even close to a finished product...unfortunately, he has shortcomings at this level that were evident.

He does not have a great offensive game...yet...a ton of ability though, and, can do things athletically that other's cannot.

He will develop a pull-up jumper, and, he will continue to work on his shooting as well at the next level.

The guy is not even close to a finished product...unfortunately, he has shortcomings at this level that were evident.
Yeah a lot of people really don’t seem to understand the nba isn’t drafting him as a finished product. The whole point is they see a massive potential for growth.

I’m not blaming Ivey for everything (turnovers, defense, free throw shooting, etc) but I have noticed before and saw it again tonight when CMP is talking to him he turns away. Blessed with a lot of talent but it seemed to me as season went along he was more concerned with his draft status than doing what worked for team. jmho

Correct. Or else they would be drafting seniors every year.
I personally was really glad to have him the last 2 years. Extremely exciting player that brings lots of good publicity. We need those high level type players if we ever want to break through. Yeah, he sucked tonight, but at the end of the day painter gets paid the big bucks to find a way to win. The nba is when you can start to place the blame on players instead of coaches.

Yeah a lot of people really don’t seem to understand the nba isn’t drafting him as a finished product. The whole point is they see a massive potential for growth.

and an insane level of athleticism....he can flourish in the right situation. Unfortunately, unfinished business as a Boiler in just a partial collegiate career. I wish Mr. Ivey the best and a successful career at the next level. Tough way to go out, but life is not always fair......

Well played, because the one pull-up jumper he did take was a complete airball and probably cost us the game.. at that point we had to have two and we got an air ball so you are exactly right

I’m not blaming Ivey for everything (turnovers, defense, free throw shooting, etc) but I have noticed before and saw it again tonight when CMP is talking to him he turns away. Blessed with a lot of talent but it seemed to me as season went along he was more concerned with his draft status than doing what worked for team. jmho
I don't see that...I see a guy, that because of his Mom, is very open to coaching.

I don't think he was concerned at all about his draft status, as, it was/is locked in...dude is going to be a top-5 pick and that has been known since November.

He has a long way to go with developing and refining his game...he has made incredible strides from the time that he committed to Purdue to where he is today, and, he will make far greater ones moving forward...unfortunately, Purdue does not get to reap the benefits of that...but, they did reap benefits in having him...and, would have reaped more had they maybe surrounded him with some different guys, or, had ways to take advantage better of what he actually was good at.

and an insane level of athleticism....he can flourish in the right situation. Unfortunately, unfinished business as a Boiler in just a partial collegiate career. I wish Mr. Ivey the best and a successful career at the next level. Tough way to go out, but life is not always fair......
Yeah, nobody likes losing but, out of everybody on the team, I think Ivey will be over it the quickest knowing how much money he’s about to make.

Reactions: DAG10
Well played, because the one pull-up jumper he did take was a complete airball and probably cost us the game.. at that point we had to have two and we got an air ball so you are exactly right
He did not have one all year...it is not a part of his game yet...did not need to be in HS where he just blew by guys...he tried to do the same in college (and, at times was able to), and, he settled for 3's...he does not have a pull-up/mid-range game yet...at some point he will. That shot tonight was exactly why he does not take them...it is just not part of his game...and, he should not have taken that one either, or, when he did, he at least has to go towards glass.

Reactions: pmsullivan85
He did not have one all year...it is not a part of his game yet...did not need to be in HS where he just blew by guys...he tried to do the same in college (and, at times was able to), and, he settled for 3's...he does not have a pull-up/mid-range game yet...at some point he will. That shot tonight was exactly why he does not take them...it is just not part of his game...and, he should not have taken that one either, or, when he did, he at least has to go towards glass.
So what you’re saying is he doesn’t have the time to work on that part of his game outside of the actual game time? I hear lots of excuses on here for the glaring weaknesses in his game. I sure hope it translates to the next level that he’s really athletic. But I know that there are lots of really athletic guys that are complete busts…. I just don’t wanna see him fall for a bunch of old guys who tell him how great he’s gonna be and then it doesn’t happen and he ends up not a lottery pick and doesn’t get the fat paycheck he was promised by all of these “guys “. But there’s been enough “of those guys on here“ who have assured me they will cover anything he doesn’t make in the lottery with their own money

Ivey is not a scapegoat. He had some untimely turnovers but he didn't lose the game for us. Would have liked to see Morton back in there trying to defend mustache guy instead of Stefanovic. Sad night for sure.

Reactions: Schnelk
So what you’re saying is he doesn’t have the time to work on that part of his game outside of the actual game time? I hear lots of excuses on here for the glaring weaknesses in his game. I sure hope it translates to the next level that he’s really athletic. But I know that there are lots of really athletic guys that are complete busts…. I just don’t wanna see him fall for a bunch of old guys who tell him how great he’s gonna be and then it doesn’t happen and he ends up not a lottery pick and doesn’t get the fat paycheck he was promised by all of these “guys “. But there’s been enough “of those guys on here“ who have assured me they will cover anything he doesn’t make in the lottery with their own money
What the hell are you even talking about? Jaden is a guaranteed lottery pick and it’s not even debatable.

Unless he has a catastrophic injury between now and the draft he will be a lottery pick. If he is in the G League by year three is less certain.

I don't see that...I see a guy, that because of his Mom, is very open to coaching.

I don't think he was concerned at all about his draft status, as, it was/is locked in...dude is going to be a top-5 pick and that has been known since November.

He has a long way to go with developing and refining his game...he has made incredible strides from the time that he committed to Purdue to where he is today, and, he will make far greater ones moving forward...unfortunately, Purdue does not get to reap the benefits of that...but, they did reap benefits in having him...and, would have reaped more had they maybe surrounded him with some different guys, or, had ways to take advantage better of what he actually was good at.
Getting all the bigs out of the lane, and being surrounded by legit shooters will do wonders for his game.

Most disappointed in the lack of even really getting good shots and/or just good opportunities and that seemed to be his strength through the year. Not many games where he had more mistakes than plays made. Tonight was definitely his worst game of the year.

There were 3-4 plays in a row where he either forced up an awful shot, flat out gave the ball away or just dribbled the ball out of bounds inexplicably.

To say he’s not a lottery pick is silly. He’s still likely a top 5 pick and there’s no way he slips out of the top 10 in a loaded draft. Sky is the limit for him…but tonight it was obvious he still has a long ways to go.

Edit- I’ll defend him a bit though. He got almost no help from our other guards. Hunter had his worst game in months. Sasha had a good 5 minutes and the rest was not even mid major level play. IT needed to be more aggressive. We needed to see a bit more Morton tonight. Give Newman a dice roll and maybe we don’t go 1/12 in the 2nd half? I think that’s the thing that irks me most…when we played free and open this team was damn near unbeatable. We got tight after our first loss and could never get back to where we were comfortable running, gunning, scoring, and playing enough defense we could win games.

Last edited:
Getting all the bigs out of the lane, and being surrounded by legit shooters will do wonders for his game.
And, it would have had Purdue done it...

He was not in a situation where he could do what he does best, or, that Purdue could take advantage of it either.

But, to your point, it will be the case at the next level and he will thrive at some point.

He might ultimately be the guy that will frustrate Purdue fans more than any Purdue player in that he could be an incredible professional and we as Purdue fans only got to see some glimpses of it.

And, it would have had Purdue done it...

He was not in a situation where he could do what he does best, or, that Purdue could take advantage of it either.

But, to your point, it will be the case at the next level and he will thrive at some point.

He might ultimately be the guy that will frustrate Purdue fans more than any Purdue player in that he could be an incredible professional and we as Purdue fans only got to see some glimpses of it.
Do you think Caleb can be that stretch 5 ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT