ADVERTISEMENT

Jaden Ivey goes from an all time Boiler favorite to all time scapegoat in one game.

Too many people have been debating how Ivey will do in the draft and NBA this year as if that’s relevant. I was only interested in how he played at Purdue. And unfortunately I don’t feel like he came anywhere close to his ceiling at Purdue. He could have cleaned up his game so much by just doing to easy fundamental things better. So frustrating.

Sick of pointing that out to the response of “shut up he is NBA talent.” I don’t care. He’s in college now at Purdue, so I’d rather him do well there. That’s not to say he wasn’t a good player for us, but he could have been so much better.

After sleeping on it I get the sense that Painter expected Ivey to start hitting shots and take over at the end. One of the reasons why he didn’t really try anything.
But that is what is relevant to Ivey...and, so many others like him...it is not unique to him.

He wanted to play well at/for Purdue, but, his focus has been/was/is on getting to the NBA...like say, that is not unique to him, he is just less mature about it than some others are or have been.

It is not all on him either...it starts with AAU, which is about as great a detriment directly and indirectly to actual organized basketball as there is, and, then in a case like his, it carries over often to HS where he can do whatever he wants and becomes accustomed to it, compounded by being asked to do everything at times.

It is the ultimate catch-22 at a place like Purdue...it needs a guy with the ability and talent of Ivey, but, a guy with that ability and talent does not fit Purdue generally either, and, because it is such a rarity to have a guy with that talent and ability, it is always a struggle to coach it and know how to use it and maximize it on those rare occasions when a guy like that comes along.

We fan folks can all groan and growl back and forth for months over Jaden’s play and readiness -- that’s our job, ain’t it? -- but we can all share in big applause for his mom.

Niele showed up in Philly and cheered on Jaden in person on the eve of her own team’s NCAA Sweet Sixteen game against a top-seeded rival, way up I-95 in Bridgeport.

Gotta show some love for Coach Ivey’s efforts. Go Irish ladies! Kick ’em in the Pack. Again.

And she showed Digger Phelps that you can get there from here.

Don’t worry about it, there are lots of guys on here that have “guaranteed“ Jade and Ivey that he’s going to make bank and be a top-five lottery pick.
They’ve guaranteed it and they backed it up in writing. It is saved in their profile so he’s either going to make it in the league or they’re gonna pay him since they’ve given him their word.

And as big as their mouths are when you question it I’m sure they will back it up or he can probably sue them because after all they put it in writing so it is contractual isn’t it?
This might be the weirdest shit I've ever seen on this forum.

and an insane level of athleticism....he can flourish in the right situation. Unfortunately, unfinished business as a Boiler in just a partial collegiate career. I wish Mr. Ivey the best and a successful career at the next level. Tough way to go out, but life is not always fair......
Ivey does have insane athleticism but unfortunately has very limited pass, shoot, and dribble skills at this time. That was greatly exposed last night.

Someone needed to make him aware of that earlier in the season but unfortunately they gave him the keys to the offense instead and it eventually crashed.

Well played, because the one pull-up jumper he did take was a complete airball and probably cost us the game.. at that point we had to have two and we got an air ball so you are exactly right
Yeah I hope he develops a pull up. St. Peter's killed us with them. We don't have anyone on the team that can hit a pull up. Hopefully next year's roster does.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Ivey does have insane athleticism but unfortunately has very limited pass, shoot, and dribble skills at this time. That was greatly exposed last night.

Someone needed to make him aware of that earlier in the season but unfortunately they gave him the keys to the offense instead and it eventually crashed.
Um they all crashed it not Ivey. Sasha dead in second half. Hunter and Edey not much in second half. Gillis nothing.

Um they all crashed it not Ivey. Sasha dead in second half. Hunter and Edey not much in second half. Gillis nothing.
My point was that coach Painter put Ivey in the drivers seat (after MLK game at Illinois) and it started spinning out of control and finally crashed in a total loss last night. Ivey currently did not have the basketball skills to be driving the offense.

My point was that coach Painter put Ivey in the drivers seat (after MLK game at Illinois) and it started spinning out of control and finally crashed in a total loss last night. Ivey currently did not have the basketball skills to be driving the offense.

The issue is that there wasn’t anyone else at the guard position that COULD carry us which is what we needed. The only hope was Ivey going crazy at the end which didn’t happen unfortunately. That’s why we, in close games, we are always at a severe disadvantage. That’s when guards who can create are needed and more so in the tournament when there are needed the whole time.

The issue is that there wasn’t anyone else at the guard position that COULD carry us which is what we needed. The only hope was Ivey going crazy at the end which didn’t happen unfortunately. That’s why we, in close games, we are always at a severe disadvantage. That’s when guards who can create are needed and more so in the tournament when there are needed the whole time.
Curious what you were seeing when they beat North Carolina and Villanova (who are still playing) that warranted turning the offense into the Jaden Ivey show?

That was early in the season and UNC was missing their best defensive player and Villanova has gotten way better. Without Ivey, this team would have been around .500. We needed someone to create at the end of the game and Sasha/IT/Newman might have been worse had they gad the same opportunity as Ivey.

We peaked too early and March basketball is different than November basketball.

Yeah I hope he develops a pull up. St. Peter's killed us with them. We don't have anyone on the team that can hit a pull up. Hopefully next year's roster does.
Great shooters coming in
Gillis is very good
Need a slasher who can get to the rim when we need a bucket, didn’t have that guy this year … we thought that would be Jade and Ivey but he couldn’t do it. Just doesn’t have that skill set yet.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
That was early in the season and UNC was missing their best defensive player and Villanova has gotten way better. Without Ivey, this team would have been around .500. We needed someone to create at the end of the game and Sasha/IT/Newman might have been worse had they gad the same opportunity as Ivey.

We peaked too early and March basketball is different than November basketball.
I never said we didn’t need Ivey. My point is the offense was the talk of college basketball and Ivey and the bigs were a part of that. Remember them even running plays getting IT open 3’s? The offense DEGRADED to only Ivey and the bigs being options. Degraded to the point of actually being boring.

I would have to agree painter maybe messed up relying on ivey so much. I dont think he was really ready to carry the team, obviously. Over now

Great shooters coming in
Gillis is very good
Need a slasher who can get to the rim when we need a bucket, didn’t have that guy this year … we thought that would be Jade and Ivey but he couldn’t do it. Just doesn’t have that skill set yet.
Jermaine cousinard from South Carolina from the same school as etwaun Moore May be looking to come back home 6-4 combo guard with shooting skills

Reactions: SKYDOG and jmohlman
I don't see that...I see a guy, that because of his Mom, is very open to coaching.

I don't think he was concerned at all about his draft status, as, it was/is locked in...dude is going to be a top-5 pick and that has been known since November.

He has a long way to go with developing and refining his game...he has made incredible strides from the time that he committed to Purdue to where he is today, and, he will make far greater ones moving forward...unfortunately, Purdue does not get to reap the benefits of that...but, they did reap benefits in having him...and, would have reaped more had they maybe surrounded him with some different guys, or, had ways to take advantage better of what he actually was good at.
One concern for 2 years I couldn't forget was his interview after he hit the game winner against Ohio State. If you recall he dribbled the ball but not towards the basket for about 7 seconds or so and shot a 3 pointer for the winner and said in the interview he left the huddle knowing he was going to take the last shot. He never said Matt told him to shoot or Matt told him to drive. I suspect the ball was put in his hands to make a decision and we all know how much better he was driving than shooting last year, but the dribble with no purpose leads me to believe that he left the huddle knowing he was going to shoot a 3 pointer which I have a difficult time believing that was Matt's thoughts.

He may be very coachable, but what I saw and what he said is why I remember it. There were a lot of things last night that went wrong in the game and opinions afterwards and a few illogical inconsistencies that have been discussed at great length this year inside some of the emotional outbursts.

One obvious question concerning Purdue is shared by the Big. How does a conference do so well so early, has generally considered good coaches, play in a tough conference where 4 teams most the year were listed in the top 16 and yet none..
none advanced inside the top 16. What happened inside the Big? Did all the coaches get out coached? Rhetorical, but an obvious question

Reactions: Zaphod_B and DAG10
I never said we didn’t need Ivey. My point is the offense was the talk of college basketball and Ivey and the bigs were a part of that. Remember them even running plays getting IT open 3’s? The offense DEGRADED to only Ivey and the bigs being options. Degraded to the point of actually being boring.
They just got scouted and people quickly figured out the model to beat us. Sone teams just didn’t have the personnel to do it.

Reactions: DAG10
It would totally scramble peoples brains on here if Ivey said he was coming back tmr.
Not really. Most wouldn't give it a second of thought, but he isn't most of us and dreams of greatness. That said my money says he is gone, but my mind wouldn't be more scrambled than it was last night.

They just got scouted and people quickly figured out the model to beat us. Sone teams just didn’t have the personnel to do it.
You cannot believe the offense did not change. The eye test is all you need. So North Carolina and Villanova don’t have the personnel?

We can agree to disagree but our problems were on the defensive end of the floor when the people “figured it out”. The offense changed for the worst after Ivey went all world NBA star on Illinois on MLK day.

Jermaine cousinard from South Carolina from the same school as etwaun Moore May be looking to come back home 6-4 combo guard with shooting skills
Seen him play many times in high school. He could really help if Purdue could get him.

One concern for 2 years I couldn't forget was his interview after he hit the game winner against Ohio State. If you recall he dribbled the ball but not towards the basket for about 7 seconds or so and shot a 3 pointer for the winner and said in the interview he left the huddle knowing he was going to take the last shot. He never said Matt told him to shoot or Matt told him to drive. I suspect the ball was put in his hands to make a decision and we all know how much better he was driving than shooting last year, but the dribble with no purpose leads me to believe that he left the huddle knowing he was going to shoot a 3 pointer which I have a difficult time believing that was Matt's thoughts.

He may be very coachable, but what I saw and what he said is why I remember it. There were a lot of things last night that went wrong in the game and opinions afterwards and a few illogical inconsistencies that have been discussed at great length this year inside some of the emotional outbursts.

One obvious question concerning Purdue is shared by the Big. How does a conference do so well so early, has generally considered good coaches, play in a tough conference where 4 teams most the year were listed in the top 16 and yet none..
none advanced inside the top 16. What happened inside the Big? Did all the coaches get out coached? Rhetorical, but an obvious question
A good point, and, accurate...

I am guessing it was the same in the Texas game last week.

I will say that there is something different about guys willing to take "the shot" and live with the consequences...lots of guys don't have what it takes...Ivey does...he relishes it...so did Swanigan...so did Carsen...nothing coincidental about that.

I think he was open to coaching though...now, comprehending and applying it is different than hearing it, much less seeking it.

B1G...just don't have the athletes collectively that other programs do, and, they play such a grinding style of basketball that it does not translate to the tournament either.

You cannot believe the offense did not change. The eye test is all you need. So North Carolina and Villanova don’t have the personnel?

We can agree to disagree but our problems were on the defensive end of the floor when the people “figured it out”. The offense changed for the worst after Ivey went all world NBA star on Illinois on MLK day.
Those teams did have the personnel but they don’t see us twice every year so that played a part and it was the start of the season. Every team was figuring itself out. Even if the offense changed it wouldn’t have made a difference after the first couple games. The chances were low for us to make the final four because we don’t have good enough guard play outside of Ivey. Ivey would have needed to average over 20 points and a handful of assists going firearm to win. Bottle line, in March, you have to have multiple above average guards who can either create their own shot or guard really well. Outside of Ivey and Hunter (defense) we did not. By a lot.

Don’t worry about it, there are lots of guys on here that have “guaranteed“ Jade and Ivey that he’s going to make bank and be a top-five lottery pick.
They’ve guaranteed it and they backed it up in writing. It is saved in their profile so he’s either going to make it in the league or they’re gonna pay him since they’ve given him their word.

And as big as their mouths are when you question it I’m sure they will back it up or he can probably sue them because after all they put it in writing so it is contractual isn’t it?
Dude stop. You really look foolish here. You seem to be the only person in the world who doesn’t understand Ivey’s NBA upside.

Great shooters coming in
Gillis is very good
You are a Purdue fan right? Exactly what point are you trying to make with your pathetic mockery of the last name of a current Purdue player. It’s JADEN IVEY, get your shit together you bitter fool.

He doesn't have a pull-up jumper, so, why would he take it?

He does not have a great offensive game...yet...a ton of ability though, and, can do things athletically that other's cannot.

He will develop a pull-up jumper, and, he will continue to work on his shooting as well at the next level.

The guy is not even close to a finished product...unfortunately, he has shortcomings at this level that were evident.
That was my point....

Reactions: DAG10
You are a Purdue fan right? Exactly what point are you trying to make with your pathetic mockery of the last name of a current Purdue player. It’s JADEN IVEY, get your shit together you bitter fool.
Wow, you’re a real tool aren’t you? Who is mocking someone you moron. You should know better but maybe not. Auto correct is what it is… it seems like you might have some real shortcomings in your life if that’s how you respond to something that’s obviously either a grammatical error or like in this case and auto correct error. But I’m not gonna judge you but you keep judging others come on you’re doing a good job!

Reactions: PUBV
Ivey will still go high, maybe not 1-4 but certainly 5-9. The silver lining in this game, if there can be one, is that Edey definitely played himself out of the draft. It will be great for us to have him again next year!! Somewhat related, here’s to hoping that the few post season appearances will keep Newman out of the portal. Edey/Newman needed back next season!

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Wow, you’re a real tool aren’t you? Who is mocking someone you moron. You should know better but maybe not. Auto correct is what it is… it seems like you might have some real shortcomings in your life if that’s how you respond to something that’s obviously either a grammatical error or like in this case and auto correct error. But I’m not gonna judge you but you keep judging others come on you’re doing a good job!
Obviously not a grammatical error, but if it was several instances of an auto correct error, I do apologize

A good point, and, accurate...

I am guessing it was the same in the Texas game last week.

I will say that there is something different about guys willing to take "the shot" and live with the consequences...lots of guys don't have what it takes...Ivey does...he relishes it...so did Swanigan...so did Carsen...nothing coincidental about that.

I think he was open to coaching though...now, comprehending and applying it is different than hearing it, much less seeking it.

B1G...just don't have the athletes collectively that other programs do, and, they play such a grinding style of basketball that it does not translate to the tournament either.
What I understood you to say is "athletes" are different at the end of the year than before and during when the Big was very successful. Athletes prefer a slow or missing pea in the whistle, where skill people do not want the skill diminished by slapping and holding. If the athletes are different than in the Big, perhaps the reffing is much more different in teh big where it is physical, but with bigger and slower bodies. The lack of a whistle underneath on Purdue bigs did not cause Purdue to lose, but with a different whistle Purdue probably doesn't lose even with many of the mistakes. If you are going to swallow the whistle, I want the quicker, more athletic team who can foul and be gone before the ref can see what happened. When you play mid majors in the tourney you most likely are going to have smaller, quicker and more athletic players that are OLDER and have developed for 3 or 4 years since the athletic ability they had out of highschool was probably lacking a lot of skill in them being in mid major to begin with...and then would there be athletes at St Peter's much different than Texas?

Four big teams successful early, ranked high all year and NONE go past the sweet 16. Something concerning the Big that all teh teams apparently had. I have some things to do today, but apparently this area is much bigger than Purdue. Another conversation for another time on teh forum might be the two logical inconsistentcies with Matt being too stubborn with one having a basis in MANY threads this year.

It would be interesting to see the guy (can't recall his moniker) that goes to the other teams site and gathers some funny comments to do the same off the Purdue forum after the loss. I'll be Purdue held its own...

Some NBA teams will likely remove him from their consideration list based on the performance (turnovers, inability to maintain composure). If that removes him from consideration for Pick 1 thru 3, that costs $5M-10M over the course of a rookie contract.

He will still be a Top 10 pick.

Yes, I agree with you 100% on this you pathetic idiot. Whoa, scratch that last part, maybe I am in need of some therapy!
Lots of folks on this board do not understand what NBA teams are looking for at the top of the draft - and that’s OK.

Very few top 5 picks are anywhere close to finished products. Westbrook had a similar sophomore year at UCLA and went top 3.

Some NBA teams will likely remove him from their consideration list based on the performance (turnovers, inability to maintain composure). If that removes him from consideration for Pick 1 thru 3, that costs $5M-10M over the course of a rookie contract.

He will still be a Top 10 pick.
Jaden, Jabari Smith and Chet Holmgren all had bad games when their teams got upset in the NCAAs. All will still go top 5.

Jaden, Jabari Smith and Chet Holmgren all had bad games when their teams got upset in the NCAAs. All will still go top 5.
Did any of them pout, not put in a full defensive effort, etc. I don't recall Smith or Holmgren doing that. Time will tell, but I would not be surprised in Ivey falls out of the Top 5

Ivey will still go high, maybe not 1-4 but certainly 5-9. The silver lining in this game, if there can be one, is that Edey definitely played himself out of the draft. It will be great for us to have him again next year!! Somewhat related, here’s to hoping that the few post season appearances will keep Newman out of the portal. Edey/Newman needed back next season!
I admire the optimism or attempt at a positive spin, but, there is no silver lining with respect to what happened, and, as much as anything, it is just another blow to Purdue's national image/perception.

Ivey did not play his way out of anything, as, nobody cares at the NBA level what happened, and, Edey was never in the draft...I don't think Edey will ever be drafted for that matter.

Having Edey back at Purdue is a double-edged sword...blessing from an offensive standpoint with respect to his ability to score and draw fouls, but, a curse at the defensive end...he does not have the luxury that he had with Williams behind him now either. Admittedly, I would rather have him back than not, but, it still leaves Purdue in a bad spot defensively.

ADVERTISEMENT