ADVERTISEMENT

IU Signs Lander

You’ll have to admit that the team had a disappointing year when compared to the hype that surrounded his signing. I’m pretty sure most IU fans felt he would help lead them to the tourney.

Disappointing for sure, will be the first to admit. That was an NCAAT caliber team and a team that I thought could potentially be an upper tier team in the B10 especially based on the first two months of the season, they were nationally ranked at one point. Then the wheels fell off.

You are correct expectations were high when Romeo signed. Too high. As talented as Romeo was and with Morgan coming back, IU should have been better than they were. But once you got past those two all-conference caliber players, lack of talent and experience, especially the latter, showed. Secondary guys didn't step up and youth and inexperience was on full display through an abysmal and embarrassing stretch during B10 play. Romeo has been the scapegoat for that team and I think it's harsh. He performed at an exceptionally high level. You don't average 17ppg in the B10, let alone as a freshman, without having some serious skills. I get why view Romeo in the manner but he's not the reason IU didn't make the tournament. Not by a long shot. He simply joined IU at the wrong time. Throw him on this years team (or any team) with a bunch of experienced upperclassmen and IU is likely a B10 title contender.

Disappointing for sure, will be the first to admit. That was an NCAAT caliber team and a team that I thought could potentially be an upper tier team in the B10 especially based on the first two months of the season, they were nationally ranked at one point. Then the wheels fell off.

You are correct expectations were high when Romeo signed. Too high. As talented as Romeo was and with Morgan coming back, IU should have been better than they were. But once you got past those two all-conference caliber players, lack of talent and experience, especially the latter, showed. Secondary guys didn't step up and youth and inexperience was on full display through an abysmal and embarrassing stretch during B10 play. Romeo has been the scapegoat for that team and I think it's harsh. He performed at an exceptionally high level. You don't average 17ppg in the B10, let alone as a freshman, without having some serious skills. I get why view Romeo in the manner but he's not the reason IU didn't make the tournament. Not by a long shot. He simply joined IU at the wrong time. Throw him on this years team (or any team) with a bunch of experienced upperclassmen and IU is likely a B10 title contender.
Do you put any of the blame on coaching? That team seemed erratic and without direction quite often. At times it appeared that Morgan and Romeo had to go get the ball for themselves opposed to actually receiving it from their team mates.

You’ll have to admit that the team had a disappointing year when compared to the hype that surrounded his signing. I’m pretty sure most IU fans felt he would help lead them to the tourney.
I'm not seeing the "counter-arguments" to which you're replying, but this is a no-brainer. When it comes to actual, on-court results, it was a massive "miss."

I think we are selling Romeo short. After all he did lead his team in scoring as a freshman. Morgan and Romeo (even injured) should have placed in the BIG and gone dancing. Why that team did so poorly, and why this last year’s team did so poorly has to fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff, in my opinion.

I admit to watching very few IU games this year. I usually scan the schedule and try to catch as many as I can. I know they had their high points, but they were as inconsistent as Purdue was this last year. I suspect the reasons behind both teams under performing were very different.

Painter is a proven coach, so Purdue’s problems were either in the locker room, or attributable to inexperience. Yes, Painter is responsible and is where the buck stops, but in this case, a more detailed look is in order. However, we have beat this one to death in other threads.

IU is a different animal. Romeo’s disappointing year may have been locker room issues with resentment toward the OAD. This year was a bit different. Maybe inexperience, but when I watched the Purdue-IU game, I came away thinking Archie isn’t getting the job done. The kids looked confused and the offense was a jumble of talented kids trying to score on their own.

Do you put any of the blame on coaching? That team seemed erratic and without direction quite often. At times it appeared that Morgan and Romeo had to go get the ball for themselves opposed to actually receiving it from their team mates.

I mean sure. At the end of the day, the head ball coach is responsible for the teams results. That being said, I don't think coaching was the primary aspect for the failures of that team. There was definitely chemistry issues in the locker room. Now a coach can't make one or two guys like each other, but he can certainly control how it affects his teams performance on the court. I think Archie fell on his face in that regard.

I think we are selling Romeo short. After all he did lead his team in scoring as a freshman. Morgan and Romeo (even injured) should have placed in the BIG and gone dancing. Why that team did so poorly, and why this last year’s team did so poorly has to fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff, in my opinion.

I admit to watching very few IU games this year. I usually scan the schedule and try to catch as many as I can. I know they had their high points, but they were as inconsistent as Purdue was this last year. I suspect the reasons behind both teams under performing were very different.

Painter is a proven coach, so Purdue’s problems were either in the locker room, or attributable to inexperience. Yes, Painter is responsible and is where the buck stops, but in this case, a more detailed look is in order. However, we have beat this one to death in other threads.

IU is a different animal. Romeo’s disappointing year may have been locker room issues with resentment toward the OAD. This year was a bit different. Maybe inexperience, but when I watched the Purdue-IU game, I came away thinking Archie isn’t getting the job done. The kids looked confused and the offense was a jumble of talented kids trying to score on their own.
Outside of Romeo and Morgan, that team wasn’t very talented. They had numerous injuries including Jerome Hunter who was a top 50 recruit that didn’t play a second. Race Thompson was out all year. Phinisee was out for a stretch with a concussion, and didn’t return the same player (similar to how Haarms wasn’t the same player after his injury). Even with all of that, they were a game away from making the tournament.

The team this year was decent. Most would have been happy just making the tournament this year considering we lost Romeo and Morgan. I’m sure most of you here would have been happy just making the tournament after losing Carsen and Cline.

So IU’s recent struggles are because of coaching, but Purdue’s struggles are because of players not buying in... that’s convenient. Painter and Archie both have 1 elite 8. Painter has been in the Big Ten far longer, so of course he has more Big Ten accolades. You act as if Painter hasn’t had his struggles in the Big Ten. He has. Not just during his first year either.

IMO and based on reports, Devonte Green was a locker room cancer. Easily the most selfish player on IU’s roster the last two seasons. We will see how the locker room changes with him gone.

Btw, Purdue’s offense had their fair share of moments not looking great this year. I’m sure that wasn’t Painter’s fault though.

Reactions: cosmickid
Outside of Romeo and Morgan, that team wasn’t very talented. They had numerous injuries including Jerome Hunter who was a top 50 recruit that didn’t play a second. Race Thompson was out all year. Phinisee was out for a stretch with a concussion, and didn’t return the same player (similar to how Haarms wasn’t the same player after his injury). Even with all of that, they were a game away from making the tournament.

The team this year was decent. Most would have been happy just making the tournament this year considering we lost Romeo and Morgan. I’m sure most of you here would have been happy just making the tournament after losing Carsen and Cline.

So IU’s recent struggles are because of coaching, but Purdue’s struggles are because of players not buying in... that’s convenient. Painter and Archie both have 1 elite 8. Painter has been in the Big Ten far longer, so of course he has more Big Ten accolades. You act as if Painter hasn’t had his struggles in the Big Ten. He has. Not just during his first year either.

IMO and based on reports, Devonte Green was a locker room cancer. Easily the most selfish player on IU’s roster the last two seasons. We will see how the locker room changes with him gone.

Btw, Purdue’s offense had their fair share of moments not looking great this year. I’m sure that wasn’t Painter’s fault though.
I know I sounded terribly selective in assigning blame to the coach in one cas and to the players in the other. I did acknowledge that in my post. I will also concede that injuries can make a huge difference. That means I can buy into your argument for what that’s worth. My opinion is not all that valued.

I didn’t Know Devonte Green was such a mess. Too bad as I thought he brought some skills to the team.

All that said, I still think Archie is on over his head. No way to prove it, so maybe we re visit this discussion next year.

Whether this true I don't know, but my brother is an IU guy and he told me Langford supposedly slept with a teammate's girlfriend. After that came out it was the end of any kind of locker room comradery and he became universally hated. I can't remember who he said the teammate was. Makes sense if true.

I know I sounded terribly selective in assigning blame to the coach in one cas and to the players in the other. I did acknowledge that in my post. I will also concede that injuries can make a huge difference. That means I can buy into your argument for what that’s worth. My opinion is not all that valued.

I didn’t Know Devonte Green was such a mess. Too bad as I thought he brought some skills to the team.

All that said, I still think Archie is on over his head. No way to prove it, so maybe we re visit this discussion next year.
We will certainly know a lot more after next season. The talent/experience excuses are not going to be valid excuses as this team has both.

Last edited:
Whether this true I don't know, but my brother is an IU guy and he told me Langford supposedly slept with a teammate's girlfriend. After that came out it was the end of any kind of locker room comradery and he became universally hated. I can't remember who he said the teammate was. Makes sense if true.
It’s sad that Purdue fans try to continue this rumor that has already been proven completely false. It started from a parody account of a former IU player. Most likely a Purdue fan as your guys love your IU parody twitter accounts. I’m sure the “Little Archie” parody account confirmed the rumor was true :rolleyes:.

Still think the jury is out in that regard. From a philosophical standpoint, Archie has delivered in every aspect to the extent he's almost mastered it. He has a plan and has stuck to it every year. In his introductory press conference, he promised to take an inside/out approach to recruiting and would recruit guys that fit his culture and his system. So far he's mostly delivered in keeping the best in-state talent home (with the exception of Keion Brooks) and every single one of his recruits have been ranked inside the top 150. Now that number is arbitrary but seems to be the base line for most these recruiting sites. This is a drastically different approach that his predecessor took and one that never allowed for any kind of consistency and a plan that left Indiana in a rough spot after his departure. Crean often chased stars and didn't have a back-up plan. That has not been the case so far with Archie.

That being said, his results have left some to be desired. He has said on multiple occasions that given the choice, he would have gutted part of his roster in his initial year. Unfortunately, his hands were tied in that regard but that is for another discussion. With year 4 approaching, he's got his guys and his system in place. The youth and lack of talent excuse is no longer valid. He's operating with his own hand. As you said, next year is probably an appropriate time to know for sure.

It’s sad that Purdue fans try to continue this rumor that has already been proven completely false. It started from a parody account of a former IU player. Most likely a Purdue fan as your guys love your IU parody twitter accounts. I’m sure the “Little Archie” parody account confirmed the rumor was true :rolleyes:.
Oh you mean this account?

I mean sure. At the end of the day, the head ball coach is responsible for the teams results. That being said, I don't think coaching was the primary aspect for the failures of that team. There was definitely chemistry issues in the locker room. Now a coach can't make one or two guys like each other, but he can certainly control how it affects his teams performance on the court. I think Archie fell on his face in that regard.
That’s fair. I will say that it’s difficult to see a scenario where Romeo wasn’t somehow involved in the locker room issues. The other players didn’t seem to be actively trying to get their best player the ball when it was obvious they should have. I am not sure if Miller just didn’t call the plays or if players chose not to run them but if I were him, I would have the ball in Romeos hand every play, clearing out the right lane with Morgan weak side and just run that action over and over again until the other team shut it down consistently. But, the fact that the players didn’t get him the ball and to be honest, he didn’t seem to demand it either although once he got the ball, he usually went to the hoop.
It will be telling this year if we have a season as to how IU performs. The team has enough talent and experience to be in the hunt for a title this year. It lacks proven shooting still but, it should be sold defensively and have enough options that at least one steps up each game.

I've had IU fans tell me they were disappointed in Damon Bailey and he had a helluva career there and won a ton of games. I can't imagine that those same fans are arguing that Romeo Langford wasn't a gigantic disappointment.

I've had IU fans tell me they were disappointed in Damon Bailey and he had a helluva career there and won a ton of games. I can't imagine that those same fans are arguing that Romeo Langford wasn't a gigantic disappointment.

Given his hype Damon Bailey was set up to fail from the beginning. Truth is, Damon Bailey had a very solid career (helluva is pushing it although he had a very good Sr. year) but for the most part didn't live up to his high school hype. In that sense, it was a disappointment. But Bailey played on some extremely good Indiana teams alongside one of the best players in B10 history. His lone year without Cheaney, Bailey demonstrated why he he was so famed early on. But Bailey for most of his career was a role player and spot starter. Still one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers though, some of the stories I've heard about him are jaw dropping.

Last edited:
I'm not continuing anything. I'm just simply repeating what my brother an IU fan told me. Your problem is your fans spreading that rumor. I don't give a rats a$$ about that school.

Whats really sad is that you spend so much time over here looking for our approval.

Given his hype Damon Bailey was set up to fail from the beginning. Truth is, Damon Bailey had a very solid career (helluva is pushing it although he had a very good Sr. year) but for the most part didn't live up to his high school hype. In that sense, it was a disappointment. But Bailey played on some extremely good Indiana teams alongside one of the best players in B10 history. His lone year without Cheaney, Bailey demonstrated why he he was so famed early on. But Bailey for most of his career was a role player and spot starter. Still one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers though, some of the stories I've heard about him are jaw dropping.

He's currently 8th in points scored and 6th in assists in program history. Started 95 games so that's a bit more than spot starter. Played a significant role in 2 Big Ten championships. Went to 4 NCAA tournaments losing in the Sweet 16 once, the Elite 8 once, and the Final Four once. If he's considered a disappointment, I'm not sure what the appropriate word is for Romeo Langford.

He's currently 8th in points scored and 6th in assists in program history. Started 95 games so that's a bit more than spot starter. Played a significant role in 2 Big Ten championships. Went to 4 NCAA tournaments losing in the Sweet 16 once, the Elite 8 once, and the Final Four once. If he's considered a disappointment, I'm not sure what the appropriate word is for Romeo Langford.

Obviously didn’t read a word I wrote. I’m not discrediting any of his statistical achievements, but he was a role player his first 3 years and not once was ever the best player on any Indiana team he played on. Bailey is one of, if not the most decorated high school player of all-time in the state of Indiana, and received any and all national prep awards. I never said his career was a disappointment, actually stated he had a very good career, he just never lived up to his hype. That’s the disappointment.

Last edited:
Obviously didn’t read a word I wrote. I’m not discrediting any of his statistical achievements, but he was a role player his first 3 years and not once was ever the best player on any Indiana team he played on. Bailey is one of, if not the most decorated high school player of all-time in the state of Indiana, and received any and all national prep awards. I never said his career was a disappointment, actually stated he had a very good career, he just never lived up to his hype. That’s the disappointment.

Nope. I certainly didn't read you call him a "spot starter" after starting close to 100 games at IU.

And role players don't end up in your top 10 all-time in 2 major statistical categories even nearly 30 years after they finished playing.

Absolutely moronic to consider him a disappointment. Either you don't recognize his contributions or you are a moron for expecting ANY recruit to be more than that.

Nope. I certainly didn't read you call him a "spot starter" after starting close to 100 games at IU.

Damon Bailey started ~60% games up until his senior year. I’d certainly qualify that as a spot starter.

And role players don't end up in your top 10 all-time in 2 major statistical categories even nearly 30 years after they finished playing.

Damon Bailey was a role player up until his senior year. Not once in his 4 years at IU was he ever the best on his team. Where he ended up on the scoring list is irrelevant. Christian Watford ended his career with more points and more rebounds than Scott May...certainly you aren’t going to make the claim that Christian Watford, also a career role player, is better than Scott May as Watford is also in the top 10 in two career categories.

Absolutely moronic to consider him a disappointment. Either you don't recognize his contributions or you are a moron for expecting ANY recruit to be more than that.

I know it’s late so clearly you’re having reading comprehension problems. Never once said Bailey had a disappointing career. In fact I said the opposite. I said the fact that he never came close to living up to his hype was a disappointment. Both can be true in this sense. I fully recognize Bailey’s contributions; he was a very solid role player for the majority of his career that has a hand in the winningest stretch of IU basketball history. That being said, he came to IU as the most hyped recruit in school history by a mile and didn’t come close to living up to expectations. To be fair, it’s not entirely Bailey’s fault. That’s why I said in my initial post that he was set up for failure. Bailey is one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers despite not living up to his accolades. Bailey gets a pass in the eyes of a lot of Hoosiers because he played on some of the winningest teams in program history, but most IU fans realize the hype wasn’t as advertised.

Last edited:
Damon Bailey started ~60% games up until his senior year. I’d certainly qualify that as a spot starter.

Damon Bailey was a role player up until his senior year. Not once in his 4 years at IU was he ever the best on his team. Where he ended up on the scoring list is irrelevant. Christian Watford ended his career with more points and more rebounds than Scott May...certainly you aren’t going to make the claim that Christian Watford, also a career role player, is better than Scott May as Watford is also in the top 10 in two career categories.

I know it’s late so clearly you’re having reading comprehension problems. Never once said Bailey had a disappointing career. In fact I said the opposite. I said the fact that he never came close to living up to his hype was a disappointment. Both can be true in this sense. I fully recognize Bailey’s contributions; he was a very solid role player for the majority of his career that has a hand in the winningest stretch of IU basketball history. That being said, he came to IU as the most hyped recruit in school history by a mile and didn’t come close to living up to expectations. To be fair, it’s not entirely Bailey’s fault. That’s why I said in my initial post that he was set up for failure. Bailey is one of my all-time favorite Hoosiers despite not living up to his accolades. Bailey gets a pass in the eyes of a lot of Hoosiers because he played on some of the winningest teams in program history, but most IU fans realize the hype wasn’t as advertised.

As I said, if you expected any player to come in and EXPECT more than what he delivered, look in the mirror to see the disappointment. As far as reading comprehension goes, look in the mirror again. The stupidity of words like "role player" and "spot starter" were easily debunked and you still attempt to justify them. Then you say he wasn't a disappointment but didn't live up to the hype. Isn't that more or less the definition of disappointment? Being less than what you expect? A quick google search on "disappointment" says that it is "sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one's hopes or expectations". How does that not apply to your interpretation of Bailey's career?

As I said, if you expected any player to come in and EXPECT more than what he delivered, look in the mirror to see the disappointment.

LOL. What does that even mean? So every single incoming freshman has the same expectations? When you’re the National Prep POY, a 3x HS AA as was Bailey you have higher expectations than someone like say Todd Leary. Is Nojel Eastern only considered a disappointment if you had high expectations for him? Single dumbest thing you’ve said in any of your rants and that is saying something.

The stupidity of words like "role player" and "spot starter" were easily debunked and you still attempt to justify them.

You haven’t debunked anything. Damon Bailey was not a full-time starter until his senior year and was a role player up until Greg Graham and Calbert Cheaney graduated. Throw in Alan Henderson and Damon Bailey was never more than the third or fourth option until his senior year. If you have a different definition of “role player” do tell.

Then you say he wasn't a disappointment but didn't live up to the hype. Isn't that more or less the definition of disappointment? Being less than what you expect? A quick google search on "disappointment" says that it is "sadness or displeasure caused by the nonfulfillment of one's hopes or expectations". How does that not apply to your interpretation of Bailey's career?

I’ve already explained this. Both can be true. You can absolutely recognize that Damon Bailey still had a solid career at IU while also acknowledging he didn’t live up to his hype. Damon committed to IU just as the Hoosiers were winning their third title in a little over a decade. IU was the premier basketball program in the country at that time. When you’re the most hyped recruit in school history and yet don’t ever come close to being the best player on any of the teams in the four years you’re there, that’s disappointing. Doesn’t change the fact that he still finished with a very respectable career.

I look at Bailey like I look at Andrew Luck. Luck was one of the most hyped amateur athletes of all time, just behind LeBron and Bryce Harper. He was touted as the Peyton Manning of his generation and named the best draft prospect since John Elway. Those are two of the five best QB’s in NFL history. I don’t think you’ll ever find anyone suggesting Andrew Luck was a bad QB, in fact he was always one of the better QB’s in the league. But you won’t find hardly anyone who thinks Andrew Luck was as good as he was billed to be.

You can keep trying to justify your stupidity but you're only digging deeper.

Reactions: BBG
You can keep trying to justify your stupidity but you're only digging deeper.

You’re either too young to remember the Damon Bailey Saga or perhaps weren’t even born. Either way, you should brush up on your history lessons.

I obviously remember it better than you do. Anyone who is over 40 and followed basketball in Indiana would remember it. Wish I could say I was young enough not to remember but you don't exactly have to be drawing social security to have witnessed his high school and college career.

Bailey had injuries that even went past his senior season. That tells me that he was held out of starting a lot of his first three seasons. That also tells me that maybe he didn't play up to his capability due to those injuries. Coach, I am very disappointed in you with this discussion and letting TC4THREE beat you in this discussion. Not representative of someone that has coached at the level you suggested. Your credibility has been destroyed here. Move on.

Reactions: TC4THREE
Bailey had injuries that even went past his senior season. That tells me that he was held out of starting a lot of his first three seasons. That also tells me that maybe he didn't play up to his capability due to those injuries. Coach, I am very disappointed in you with this discussion and letting TC4THREE beat you in this discussion. Not representative of someone that has coached at the level you suggested. Your credibility has been destroyed here. Move on.

Haha, he hasn't beaten my in any discussion, we just have differing opinions. You yourself just said he didn't play up to his capabilities, ie a disappointment given his hype from his prep days. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bailey's career at IU, just never lived up to his name. He was overshadowed by the likes of Greg Graham, Calbert Cheaney, and Alan Henderson, the latter two some of the best players in school history. There's nothing wrong with that. Every good teams needs a role player or two and Bailey footed that bill well and was a part of some very good IU teams.

I'll continue to post here as I see fit, and call any indiscretions I deem inaccurate. Thank you for the concern though.

Last edited:
Haha, he hasn't beaten my in any discussion, we just have differing opinions. You yourself just said he didn't play up to his capabilities, ie a disappointment given his hype from his prep days. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Bailey's career at IU, just never lived up to his name. He was overshadowed by the likes of Greg Graham, Calbert Cheaney, and Alan Henderson, the latter two some of the best players in school history. There's nothing wrong with that. Every good teams needs a role player or two and Bailey footed that bill well and was a part of some very good IU teams.

I'll continue to post here as I see fit, and call any indiscretions I deem inaccurate. Thank you for the concern though.

Just because someone isn't the best player on the team doesn't make them a role player.

Reactions: TX4GB and Level 42

I am not surprised by an IU fan characterizing Bailey's career as a "disappointment". Watching how their idiot fan base shows up at HS games to pursue a recruit to the point of seeming like stalkers I can see how a hometown kid who had been made a legend by both his HS career and Knight's early interest would be a "disappointment" if he was anything less than a national player of the year having lead them to 4 national titles. Being a really good player for 4 years is just not enough.

Reactions: TX4GB and TC4THREE
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT