ADVERTISEMENT

Painter adjusted and we won

Some good insights on our second half adjustments from Ant Wright. Very subtle stuff but put their guards into no man’s land and made them pay for doubling.

Just caught a few seconds and will try to see all later. Thanks. I personally hold the belief that NO player outside of very few situations should be open "IF" not coming off a screen in an undesirable location of the court. I'm a huge proponent of screening. When you screen inside a lane you occupy players inside the lane and their attention. Doing so takes either focus off Zach or focus off another whether a player pops out or goes to the rim. Tony Hinkle many decades ago expected that when the ball went to the post that people were constantly cutting towards the basket and moving and either getting open or occupying their defender. When Matt yelled "move" even without the ball in the post it occupied the defense, lessened some help D and helped negate the advantage the D had on the boards.

Thanks, can certainly appreciate the time he puts in for many to gather perhaps another perspective? It is hard to stay off the forum and I have some things I really should be doing. I have a trip to arrange, maybe install a starter in a truck and want to get a start in Dave Schellhase's book before the next game. ;) BTW, I need to review the game as well. It is hard to see all you want to see live, but inadvertently thought I saw Purdue give a zone look around 11 minutes to go in the first half that maybe was man and then somewhere around 15:10 (second half) or so a zone look that was zone. Seem to think the 15:10 may have shown 1-3-1, but again this was just casual watching and then quickly catching some times. It was maybe one possession and not sure anything good or bad resulted from doing such...but I want to try to catch those approximate times today sometime.

"Painter adjusted and we won."

Blasphemer.

Blas-PHEEM er!!!!

I just like saying that. :)
Showing my age, but from a John Candy classic, Uncle Buck:

Showing my age, but from a John Candy classic, Uncle Buck:

lxwvybsepgya1.gif

Just caught a few seconds and will try to see all later. Thanks. I personally hold the belief that NO player outside of very few situations should be open "IF" not coming off a screen in an undesirable location of the court. I'm a huge proponent of screening. When you screen inside a lane you occupy players inside the lane and their attention. Doing so takes either focus off Zach or focus off another whether a player pops out or goes to the rim. Tony Hinkle many decades ago expected that when the ball went to the post that people were constantly cutting towards the basket and moving and either getting open or occupying their defender. When Matt yelled "move" even without the ball in the post it occupied the defense, lessened some help D and helped negate the advantage the D had on the boards.

Thanks, can certainly appreciate the time he puts in for many to gather perhaps another perspective? It is hard to stay off the forum and I have some things I really should be doing. I have a trip to arrange, maybe install a starter in a truck and want to get a start in Dave Schellhase's book before the next game. ;) BTW, I need to review the game as well. It is hard to see all you want to see live, but inadvertently thought I saw Purdue give a zone look around 11 minutes to go in the first half that maybe was man and then somewhere around 15:10 (second half) or so a zone look that was zone. Seem to think the 15:10 may have shown 1-3-1, but again this was just casual watching and then quickly catching some times. It was maybe one possession and not sure anything good or bad resulted from doing such...but I want to try to catch those approximate times today sometime.
Thanks as always Tj. Appreciate the great insight. I missed the first half last night and def want to go back and watch it too.

TJ, not going to get into the whole "what are we going to call it" discussion again. But PU for sure showed some different looks last night and it was great to see. Defense in the 2nd half was very solid. Heide in particular impressed me last night. He has the potential to be an outstanding defender.

TJ, not going to get into the whole "what are we going to call it" discussion again. But PU for sure showed some different looks last night and it was great to see. Defense in the 2nd half was very solid. Heide in particular impressed me last night. He has the potential to be an outstanding defender.

Painter in his postgame presser definitely made mention of "our version of a 2 2 1"

for the love of all that is holy.......please don't say it......

giphy.gif

No question that Purdue's offensive play in the second half made it harder for Illinois to score. No question that Purdue played a bit farther off their man and towards the lane with Shannon in particular. Trying to get closer to the lane to prevent Shannon's drives was expected. Purdue still started out similar to the first game with Zach in a one man zone and Rodgers on the perimeter not defended although with Lance on Domask which surprised me a bit since I thought he would be on Shannon at the start. Cam has been a help on D for at least a half a dozen games or more. He is a buy now and only going up I believe. I haven't reviewed the game since it was on Peacock and not quickly available.

Reactions: Longboat Boiler
No question that Purdue's offensive play in the second half made it harder for Illinois to score. No question that Purdue played a bit farther off their man and towards the lane with Shannon in particular. Trying to get closer to the lane to prevent Shannon's drives was expected. Purdue still started out similar to the first game with Zach in a one man zone and Rodgers on the perimeter not defended although with Lance on Domask which surprised me a bit since I thought he would be on Shannon at the start. Cam has been a help on D for at least a half a dozen games or more. He is a buy now and only going up I believe. I haven't reviewed the game since it was on Peacock and not quickly available.
Ant did a video on TSJ and his rim pressure leading to a bad contested shot and Illinois being in a bad place to get back on defense which led to a 3 by Mason and we took the lead.

Ant did a video on TSJ and his rim pressure leading to a bad contested shot and Illinois being in a bad place to get back on defense which led to a 3 by Mason and we took the lead.

first you can clearly see Purdue focus in leaning to the lane figuring he was driving...no surprise there. Lance is more concerned about helping on Shannon's drive that being in a position to defend either Luke or Domask. Mason has his back turned a bit as as his man is a bit farther down. Matt always tries to have a player head to the center width wise of the court to defend exactly what Illinois didn't. Many times that is a guard. Naturally, if one guard is driving the other needs to try to center the court against transition. I actually prefer that to be the guard that shoots a "perimeter shot". Illinois is more of an athletic driving team than perimeter skill and not sure they normally have someone back. I was looking for a video of Matt talking about centering thinking this might be it, but it isn't. Here you will see Matt talking about jumping (some say stepping) to the ball to take you one step closer to the ball for help AND to prevent a bit of give and go or at least putting your body between the ball and the one you are defending so he cuts behind you. Never considered it with the verticality Matt shows. Years ago it was incorporated into the shell drill...I'll still search for another video if I can find it...

first you can clearly see Purdue focus in leaning to the lane figuring he was driving...no surprise there. Lance is more concerned about helping on Shannon's drive that being in a position to defend either Luke or Domask. Mason has his back turned a bit as as his man is a bit farther down. Matt always tries to have a player head to the center width wise of the court to defend exactly what Illinois didn't. Many times that is a guard. Naturally, if one guard is driving the other needs to try to center the court against transition. I actually prefer that to be the guard that shoots a "perimeter shot". Illinois is more of an athletic driving team than perimeter skill and not sure they normally have someone back. I was looking for a video of Matt talking about centering thinking this might be it, but it isn't. Here you will see Matt talking about jumping (some say stepping) to the ball to take you one step closer to the ball for help AND to prevent a bit of give and go or at least putting your body between the ball and the one you are defending so he cuts behind you. Never considered it with the verticality Matt shows. Years ago it was incorporated into the shell drill...I'll still search for another video if I can find it...

Haven't found it. Maybe a DVD I have? Still, I thought this video is good for a few based upon comments I read in the past. Matt talks about jamming the ball which we have all seen with Purdue defender on the PG. Matt goes on to say it is his "2-2-1 token press" to take time off the clock. There have been a few people that have wanted Braden to push the ball into a token press. 3rd, Matt does talk about his safety which Illinois didn't have. I'll still search some, but I think the two video I linked might be interesting for some.

Painter in his postgame presser definitely made mention of "our version of a 2 2 1"
Yes, he is just talking about picking up their PG and cutting time off the clock by jamming the pg and make him work a bit to leave less on the clock. I can't recall if a team ran a 2-2-1 press with the desire other than to eat clock this year. The clock...the clock...the shot clock has altered the game in a way less desirable in my eyes

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Congrats on big10 title. You guys deserve it. Now don’t screw it up in the tourney. You should be everyone for natty. Next year we got ya for big 10. RU all the way in 2025!!
Thanks. Next year RU should be a challenge for everyone. If you can keep those players for another year, you could be a nightmare for opponents.

Last edited:
Congrats on big10 title. You guys deserve it. Now don’t screw it up in the tourney. You should be everyone for natty. Next year we got ya for big 10. RU all the way in 2025!!
Thanks, we’ll take extra cheering during the natty and we’ll see how next season shakes out! Congrats on your strong recruiting class.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT