ADVERTISEMENT

It is all about recruiting!

Sep 2, 2001
Compare the ranking of Purdue recruits vs. Wisconsin recruits over the last several years. Purdue will never beat Wisconsin with inferior players. The Purdue players can play their hearts out, but Wisconsin has players that are simply better every year. Wisconsin players are bigger and faster!

Reactions: Boiler8285
We’ve somehow managed to beat every other team in the B1G in the last 16 years. We should have won yesterday. We were not prepared. We also need an OC and a DC. I actually like Brohm ass the head, but he coaches the O like me playing video game football.

Going forward, it is going to be all about the NIL. Is the Boilermaker Alliance going to pay dividends?

Compare the ranking of Purdue recruits vs. Wisconsin recruits over the last several years. Purdue will never beat Wisconsin with inferior players. The Purdue players can play their hearts out, but Wisconsin has players that are simply better every year. Wisconsin players are bigger and faster!
the last couple of years they have lost some good players by transfer and other too

We’ve somehow managed to beat every other team in the B1G in the last 16 years. We should have won yesterday. We were not prepared. We also need an OC and a DC. I actually like Brohm ass the head, but he coaches the O like me playing video game football.
I agree. I don't doubt that Wisconsin's recruiting is better---sustained success helps a lot. Having a consistent identity helps, too. But, there has to be more to this losing streak than recruiting. Purdue has beaten OSU four friggin' times since our last win over Wisconsin.

Wisconsin just dominated the line of scrimmage for about a decade and a half. But Purdue has found crazy ways to lose this game the last several years.

Was he? Terrible angles on run support and suspect in pass coverage.
Um, isn't that a requisite more or less to play in the secondary at Purdue?

He was talented...way more so than others that are playing back there or have. He is doing just fine seemingly at Kansas and looked good in the TCU game.

I would agree that he did not play up to his potential, but, he had potential at least, and, he did make some plays...I still think there is a coaching/developmental issue with the secondary, and, it may have taken a toll on/with Grant.

Um, isn't that a requisite more or less to play in the secondary at Purdue?

He was talented...way more so than others that are playing back there or have. He is doing just fine seemingly at Kansas and looked good in the TCU game.

I would agree that he did not play up to his potential, but, he had potential at least, and, he did make some plays...I still think there is a coaching/developmental issue with the secondary, and, it may have taken a toll on/with Grant.
Jefferson when he has his head on is better. So is Kane.

Allen plays a different position

Reactions: krf3632
Jefferson when he has his head on is better. So is Kane.

Allen plays a different position
Better than Grant, is that what you are saying?

Jefferson has been the second best guy back there, I would agree on that...I don't know that I feel like he is better than Grant, at least from a talent perspective. Purdue does miss him back there right now though. I am not nearly as sold on Kane...and, definitely do not feel that he is better than Grant...not nearly as talented, and, has not been better than Grant was either.

Regardless, the secondary is an issue...again, Purdue has not recruited the position well, nor developed guys either.

It was in another thread, but, the lack of depth, never mind any quality depth, at SO many position on this team...especially with the transfer portal...is a concern...more so with the development issues at positions.

Better than Grant, is that what you are saying?

Jefferson has been the second best guy back there, I would agree on that...I don't know that I feel like he is better than Grant, at least from a talent perspective. Purdue does miss him back there right now though. I am not nearly as sold on Kane...and, definitely do not feel that he is better than Grant...not nearly as talented, and, has not been better than Grant was either.

Regardless, the secondary is an issue...again, Purdue has not recruited the position well, nor developed guys either.

It was in another thread, but, the lack of depth, never mind any quality depth, at SO many position on this team...especially with the transfer portal...is a concern...more so with the development issues at positions.
Grant took terrible angles when tackling and couldn’t cover. Grant just had more stars next to his name.

Maybe he was not a fan of the new DC. #meeither

I still don’t get the move to Kansas. Whether Grant is great or not, he would have played a lot here. Kansas was at best a lateral move and farther from home.

I think he thought he would have better options

Mea Culpa for starting this meandering tributary....I get Nat's points and the others - just thought even with his shortcomings, he definitely had enough skill and athleticism to be part of the unit and provide depth.

The defense has been a roller coaster, but it's also won Purdue some games this year, IMO. Can't really explain the total breakdowns the last two weeks, but it's a long season. Boilers needs some plays to be made to finish well. We shall see.

Reactions: drewjin
Grant took terrible angles when tackling and couldn’t cover. Grant just had more stars next to his name.
Agree with this. Grant would come up with a big “ hit” every now and then and was in the right position to scoop and score at Illinois, but most struggled in coverage and took bad tackling angles.

It’s more than recruiting… I follow Texas A&M because my son goes there. On paper, with great recruits, they should be a top 5 to top 10 team. They are below 500 and their season is still spiraling down.

Reactions: drewjin and delarno
It’s more than recruiting… I follow Texas A&M because my son goes there. On paper, with great recruits, they should be a top 5 to top 10 team. They are below 500 and their season is still spiraling down.
just had 3 guys booted from their highly rated 22 class for smoking weed in the lockeroom

• Haha
Reactions: johnboiler123
It’s not really about recruiting. It’s about your recruiting priorities and your player development that counts. Purdue has very little if any player development. Uw’s recruiting priority is it’s offensive linemen. That’s sort of an afterthought in Purdue recruiting. Purdue also tends to recruit too many players at the same position. Which leads to glaring holes at some positions! We constantly say Purdue has little depth . That’s because our depth is usually at 1-2 positions . How many QBs and WRs does a team really need? And how many of those 4 star QBs actually play for Purdue? I’d rather have a 4 star lineman than a 4 star qb. And so would uw.

It is not just simply recruiting rankings. Purdue has won 4 of the last 10 games against Ohio State. There is no way we would have won any of those if that was the case.

Wisconsin recruits and plays to our worst weakness.....pound us into submission with the run and then throw in some play action passes and play solid defense. That is hard for us to overcome since we don't usually have the horses nor the depth on the front 7 to combat that. Our dbs rarely see a play action pass that they don't bite on.

On the other hand, OSU tends to play a more balanced offense with usually great skill position talent which somehow we at times can contain. OSU has way better recruits than Wisconsin and almost always beats them but we have had a lot of success against OSU.....?

Wisconsin's style of play frequently wins the West but they have not won the BIG championship since the East/West divisions were created (4 tries) and have never made the football playoffs like OSU and UM have. Their style of play fails against the more talented teams (which have great recruits everywhere).

The one thing Wisconsin does do (as many people have already said) is recruit lineman, but more importantly, develop those linemen. I don't think they get 5 star recruits at those positions.

In my opinion, its pretty difficult to blame the breakdowns in the secondary on recruiting alone when the team lost their key/senior DC and Secondary Coach from last year............Obviously, injuries over the past three weeks are also a factor. Great time for a Bye Week!!

It’s not really about recruiting. It’s about your recruiting priorities and your player development that counts. Purdue has very little if any player development. Uw’s recruiting priority is it’s offensive linemen. That’s sort of an afterthought in Purdue recruiting. Purdue also tends to recruit too many players at the same position. Which leads to glaring holes at some positions! We constantly say Purdue has little depth . That’s because our depth is usually at 1-2 positions . How many QBs and WRs does a team really need? And how many of those 4 star QBs actually play for Purdue? I’d rather have a 4 star lineman than a 4 star qb. And so would uw.

The same tired argument that has been debunked how many times now?

The same tired argument that has been debunked how many times now?
Ok you don’t like it! But look at the record! Uw owns us! Uw has a great record over the past. Decade! And UW very seldom signs a 4 or 5 star player at the skill positions! Usually their QB, RB and WR are 3 star recruits! Mertz was their highest rated qb recruit in over a decade!

you are very quick to did me, but you offer zero solutions of your own or any explanations of your own as to why uw owns Purdue.

how about going out on a limb and offer your own explanations and reasoning rather than always cutting down others?

I’ve provided my reasoning over 1,000 times! It appears to be spot on rather than debunked!

iowa used the same philosophy of making linemen their recruiting priority . Sure they have a very boring team. Given a choice looking at the past 5 years, whose record would you rather have? And if my reasoning is flawed, Why is our overall record the worst of the three schools?

We can’t blame it on Hazell anymore. I guess it must be the NIL. Because it surely can’t be Purdue’s recruiting philosophy prioritizes the wrong positions to produce their overall ranking!

give me a recruiting class with five 4/5 star lineman. And a bunch of 3 star skill positions players, And that team will contend for a consistent 9-10 win season. And shouldn’t that be the objective rather than being a pass happy 7 win team ?

ok hausta, what’s your plan? What’s your reasoning? Why does uw own us? The refs hate us? Hazell? The weather? Nil? Go for it! Tell us your thoughts!

Ok you don’t like it! But look at the record! Uw owns us! Uw has a great record over the past. Decade! And UW very seldom signs a 4 or 5 star player at the skill positions! Usually their QB, RB and WR are 3 star recruits! Mertz was their highest rated qb recruit in over a decade!

you are very quick to did me, but you offer zero solutions of your own or any explanations of your own as to why uw owns Purdue.

how about going out on a limb and offer your own explanations and reasoning rather than always cutting down others?

I’ve provided my reasoning over 1,000 times! It appears to be spot on rather than debunked!

iowa used the same philosophy of making linemen their recruiting priority . Sure they have a very boring team. Given a choice looking at the past 5 years, whose record would you rather have? And if my reasoning is flawed, Why is our overall record the worst of the three schools?

We can’t blame it on Hazell anymore. I guess it must be the NIL. Because it surely can’t be Purdue’s recruiting philosophy prioritizes the wrong positions to produce their overall ranking!

give me a recruiting class with five 4/5 star lineman. And a bunch of 3 star skill positions players, And that team will contend for a consistent 9-10 win season. And shouldn’t that be the objective rather than being a pass happy 7 win team ?

ok hausta, what’s your plan? What’s your reasoning? Why does uw own us? The refs hate us? Hazell? The weather? Nil? Go for it! Tell us your thoughts!
You certainly make some good points but according to 247 Sports there are a Grand Total of Two 5 Star Offensive Lineman in the 2023 class. Another 51 OL are 4 stars. Since there are 131 Division 1 schools your Five 4/5* OL would be something all of us would take but that is not happening. Maybe Alabama, Georgia, OSU, and ND do that plus a few others. I don't think Wisconsin gets tons of 4 and 5 star OL but they know what they need and do a great job molding them to their style of play.

Reactions: Boiler8285
You certainly make some good points but according to 247 Sports there are a Grand Total of Two 5 Star Offensive Lineman in the 2023 class. Another 51 OL are 4 stars. Since there are 131 Division 1 schools your Five 4/5* OL would be something all of us would take but that is not happening. Maybe Alabama, Georgia, OSU, and ND do that plus a few others. I don't think Wisconsin gets tons of 4 and 5 star OL but they know what they need and do a great job molding them to their style of play.

Wisconsin knows how to turn high schoolers into B1G OL, Purdue not as much. That's the main difference.

Wole doesn't have a point other than to blow UW and shit on Purdue, he does this all the time.

Well so does OSU and we have found a way to beat them every so often. Our best player had a crap day so there you go. Similar to Ivey against St. Peter’s, you gotta bring it to win and we didn’t. If they played like they did against PSU, Syracuse, Nebraska, etc. then we win that game. However, it wasn’t our day and there is probably a mental game being played when we play Wisconsin.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
Well so does OSU and we have found a way to beat them every so often. Our best player had a crap day so there you go. Similar to Ivey against St. Peter’s, you gotta bring it to win and we didn’t. If they played like they did against PSU, Syracuse, Nebraska, etc. then we win that game. However, it wasn’t our day and there is probably a mental game being played when we play Wisconsin.
i agree, it seemed the team was beat before it stepped on the field against Wisconsin

Markus Allen was a 3 or 4 star WR who recently left Wisc, hopefully we have interest om going after him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT