ADVERTISEMENT

Purdue at Wisconsin

MichaelRR

Redshirt Freshman
Mar 17, 2022
I watched Bucky play a game this last week. Their offensive movement is refreshing to see. Some here would hate their point guard Porter, she's 5'2" not much of a scorer, but a pretty good facilitator and defensive pest. Like a shorter quicker Terry. They are young with a lot of frosh and sophs in their rotation, and they have been paying their dues for it this season. I really like several of their players, especially their soph post Williams.

My best guess is UWisc over Purdue by 6 since its a road game against not a completely outclassed opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoopDad317
I watched Bucky play a game this last week. Their offensive movement is refreshing to see. Some here would hate their point guard Porter, she's 5'2" not much of a scorer, but a pretty good facilitator and defensive pest. Like a shorter quicker Terry. They are young with a lot of frosh and sophs in their rotation, and they have been paying their dues for it this season. I really like several of their players, especially their soph post Stephens.

My best guess is UWisc over Purdue by 6 since its a road game against not a completely outclassed opponent.
Williams didn’t play the first time we played them this season. So our monster win really is misleading. She’s a double double and their offense goes through her. She’s a match up problem. While Harper Sr has more weight compared to Williams, she Is way too slow footed to guard her. MA has struggled as of late to control her body and stay out of foul trouble. Know CKG says Madison is our best defender but Porter and Williams will run circles around Madison. Williams will make a difference today. Porter is a significant facilitator and often flies under the radar. Cannot overlook her.

Reactions: MichaelRR
Williams didn’t play the first time we played them this season. So our monster win really is misleading. She’s a double double and their offense goes through her. She’s a match up problem. While Harper Sr has more weight compared to Williams, she Is way too slow footed to guard her. MA has struggled as of late to control her body and stay out of foul trouble. Know CKG says Madison is our best defender but Porter and Williams will run circles around Madison. Williams will make a difference today. Porter is a significant facilitator and often flies under the radar. Cannot overlook her.
Agree, and thank you, I don't know why I cannot keep Williams name right and want to call her Stephens.... ;)

I watched Bucky play a game this last week. Their offensive movement is refreshing to see. Some here would hate their point guard Porter, she's 5'2" not much of a scorer, but a pretty good facilitator and defensive pest. Like a shorter quicker Terry. They are young with a lot of frosh and sophs in their rotation, and they have been paying their dues for it this season. I really like several of their players, especially their soph post Williams.

Since that was directed at me I looked up her stats, I sure as hell ain’t watching Wisconsin women’s hoops. She’s averaging 10 points a game, last I checked Purdue’s PG had 3 points the last 3 games, I’ll leave it at that. Not in the mood to argue over women’s basketball when the men have a game today. Michael, maybe you can start a petition where JT can get an extra extra Covid year, since she’ll be so tough to replace.

Last edited:
Since that was directed at me I looked up her stats, I sure as hell ain’t watching Wisconsin women’s hoops. She’s averaging 10 points a game, last I checked Purdue’s PG had 3 points the last 3 games, I’ll leave it at that. Not in the mood to argue over women’s basketball when the men have a game today.
Oh, not just you, there are others that don't understand the difference between the men's and women's games enough to appreciate Terry, flawed though she may be.

Go enjoy the men, the season only has about 4 more weeks or so left in it before the NCAA collapse, right?

Oh, not just you, there are others that don't understand the difference between the men's and women's games enough to appreciate Terry, flawed though she may be.

Go enjoy the men, the season only has about 4 more weeks or so left in it before the NCAA collapse, right?
Re: "Go enjoy the men, the season only has about 4 more weeks or so left in it before the NCAA collapse, right?"

Wow, you just can't help yourself. Another "intelligent" prognostication from someone that has watched 1 game. Unfortunately, you've already missed a really fun season regardless what happens in the future. Perhaps you should stick in your women's basketball analysis lane. BTW, this is not a call out as you have previously characterized...you are the one who doesn't stop making negative posts about a team you don't follow.

Last edited:
Re: "Go enjoy the men, the season only has about 4 more weeks or so left in it before the NCAA collapse, right?"

Wow, you just can't help yourself. Another "intelligent" prognostication from someone that has watched 1 game. Unfortunately, you've already missed a really fun season regardless what happens in the future. Perhaps you should stick in your lane in the women's basketball analysis lane. BTW, this is not a call out as you have previously characterized...you are the one who doesn't stop making negative posts about a team you don't follow.

No, you are right, that was petty and uncalled for. Its just I TOLD you guys I don't like the men's game, watched one because you asked, and then you STILL fussed at me over the fact, that nope, still don't care for the crap men's basketball has become. Additionally we all know Painter and Purdue will choke in the NCAA's and that they will fall apart once they face a well coached team with athleticism and a chip on their shoulder. Its more of a constant than death and taxes. The 96 embarrassing upset to UGa was my last time getting sucked into the perennial disappointment of Purdue men's basketball. That and the rampant cheating which with the recent ruling from the judge in Tennessee is now just the wild wild west. There are no longer any rules against the bag man showing up and buying players for his favorite school. NCAA men's basketball is now officially a pro league with school names attached to them, not like the majority of the top 20 have not acted that way for 4 decades. I just cannot sit and watch and listen to the utter bullshit hypocrisy spread about a completely corrupt sport and system by talking heads just promoting that success and turning a blind eye to the cheating.

Just needed to post that I am so glad I was wrong on this game. Honestly I thought this was the single best game Purdue has played this season with the only possible exception being the loss to Iowa at MAckey.

Negatives -

Turnovers a tad high at 15.

Normally I'd say I wanted more minutes for Spider, but we won, and CKG mentioned postseason tourneys take our NET numbers into consideration, so I don't mind leaving the starters in a little more to pad our stats in hopes of making the WNIT or whatever the other lower postseason tournament there is.

Positives -

Jenae Terry - great all around game, 5 steals, 9 rebs, 6 assists. Thought her defense really helped put it away in the 3rd.

Abbey Ellis - this is the senior I expected all season. Sure, maybe not 21 points a game but someone who stayed aggressive on offense, driving the ball. She even had a pull up which I think Mike Carmin notated before the season was almost an automatic shot for her, we haven't seen it much this season.

Swanson - continues to gain confidence and had her best defensive game of her career. There was what, like a 4 straight possession stretch in the 3rd where she was a pest, getting her hand on every ball while Wisky was in bounding or breaking the press. Ended with 3 steals.

Alaina Harper - 9 minutes, thought she was really aggressive/active on defense. Even had a nice post move on wisconsins best player but missed the shot.

Final thoughts -

Nice 20 point win on the road. This wisconsin team really benefitted from an easy schedule, hence why they're still ahead of us in the standings.

Negatives -

Turnovers a tad high at 15.

Normally I'd say I wanted more minutes for Spider, but we won, and CKG mentioned postseason tourneys take our NET numbers into consideration, so I don't mind leaving the starters in a little more to pad our stats in hopes of making the WNIT or whatever the other lower postseason tournament there is.

Positives -

Jenae Terry - great all around game, 5 steals, 9 rebs, 6 assists. Thought her defense really helped put it away in the 3rd.

Abbey Ellis - this is the senior I expected all season. Sure, maybe not 21 points a game but someone who stayed aggressive on offense, driving the ball. She even had a pull up which I think Mike Carmin notated before the season was almost an automatic shot for her, we haven't seen it much this season.

Swanson - continues to gain confidence and had her best defensive game of her career. There was what, like a 4 straight possession stretch in the 3rd where she was a pest, getting her hand on every ball while Wisky was in bounding or breaking the press. Ended with 3 steals.

Alaina Harper - 9 minutes, thought she was really aggressive/active on defense. Even had a nice post move on wisconsins best player but missed the shot.

Final thoughts -

Nice 20 point win on the road. This wisconsin team really benefitted from an easy schedule, hence why they're still ahead of us in the standings.
Te be invited to the WNIT you have to A) be the best team in your conference NOT invited to the NCAA (UMinn this year) or B) have a winning record. At this point to get a winning record we would have to win our next two games AND win two in the BTT. KG either doesn't know the criteria, or is just pumping sunshine.

Also Spider has been a no-show for several games in a row. I would have preferred she got half the minutes she did and Sophie got those as she is consistently performing at a high level. I am hopeful its just Jones hitting the freshman wall, but she looks very mediocre at best the last couple of weeks.

Te be invited to the WNIT you have to A) be the best team in your conference NOT invited to the NCAA (UMinn this year) or B) have a winning record. At this point to get a winning record we would have to win our next two games AND win two in the BTT. KG either doesn't know the criteria, or is just pumping sunshine.

Also Spider has been a no-show for several games in a row. I would have preferred she got half the minutes she did and Sophie got those as she is consistently performing at a high level. I am hopeful its just Jones hitting the freshman wall, but she looks very mediocre at best the last couple of weeks.
Yeah I'm pretty sure she was talking about the WBI which consists of 8 teams. "Teams are picked based on NET, record, conference standings, end of year performance, and quality wins and losses, after the NCAA and WNIT fields are filled".

They probably don't get many Big Ten teams to compete in that tournament so I'm hoping the WBI would be ecstatic to get a power 5 conference team in their tourney.

I thought Jones was ok tonight, hit her FT's, no turnovers, had a simple but effective assist where she took a dribble in, turned around and passed it to Harper for a 3 while boxing a defender out to give Harper the space for the shot. She's at her best in transition but didn't have many(if any today) chances of that today. Ellis was great running the floor today and I'm hopeful that could be a part of Jones game going forward. No doubt she's hit a bit of a wall though lately, just seems unsure at times out there on O.

Great win. Really had some flashes of what this team could have been. Granted the opponent was not stellar either. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum for the last two games. Both will be teams that losing to us could really hurt their tournament chances.

As for CKG talking about postseason. I think she was referring to the new created tourney this year. By my reading there are now four tournaments. I think you would be hard pressed to find 100 plus teams with .500+ records.

Www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2023-07-17/ncaa-announces-creation-womens-basketball-invitation-tournament

Great win. Really had some flashes of what this team could have been. Granted the opponent was not stellar either. Hopefully they can keep up the momentum for the last two games. Both will be teams that losing to us could really hurt their tournament chances.

As for CKG talking about postseason. I think she was referring to the new created tourney this year. By my reading there are now four tournaments. I think you would be hard pressed to find 100 plus teams with .500+ records.

Www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-women/article/2023-07-17/ncaa-announces-creation-womens-basketball-invitation-tournament
So between the NCAA, the WNIT, and the new tournament, that's 148 teams in the post season. With 351 teams in NCAA, that should mean at least 150 with a .500 or better record, but I really don't know how low they will have to scrape to fill all three tournaments and honestly even if it means Purdue gets to play another game I do not like this, it screams of "everyone gets a trophy" mentality. You should reserve the end of season tournaments for teams that have shown some manner of excellence. Off my sopabox.

So if I have this correct, 4 post season tourneys.

Ncaa - 68 teams

WNIT - 48 teams

WBIT - 32 teams

WBI - 8 teams

I didn't see any qualifications for this new WBIT, anyone know?

So if I have this correct, 4 post season tourneys.

Ncaa - 68 teams

WNIT - 48 teams

WBIT - 32 teams

WBI - 8 teams

I didn't see any qualifications for this new WBIT, anyone know?
Right now there are 164 teams with winning records. I very much doubt the NCAA run tournaments will take teams with losing records, so the 8 team WBI might be our only hope.

Mike Carmin mentioned the new WBIT has already reached out to Purdue. FWIW

Right now there are 164 teams with winning records. I very much doubt the NCAA run tournaments will take teams with losing records, so the 8 team WBI might be our only hope.
I get your thinking but Im going to put money that they WBIT/WNIT would take a top 80 NET team with a losing record over 200+ NET winning record.

Can anyone find the official selection criteria for the WNIT this year, beyond Michaels expertise (no offense)

I get your thinking but Im going to put money that they WBIT/WNIT would take a top 80 NET team with a losing record over 200+ NET winning record.

Can anyone find the official selection criteria for the WNIT this year, beyond Michaels expertise (no offense)
None taken. I didn't even know about the additional tournaments. I don't think there is enough support for 4 post season tourneys so I suspect the NCAA is trying to destroy the NIT once again. The criteria for selection did not list a winning record on the NCAA site.

No, you are right, that was petty and uncalled for. Its just I TOLD you guys I don't like the men's game, watched one because you asked, and then you STILL fussed at me over the fact, that nope, still don't care for the crap men's basketball has become. Additionally we all know Painter and Purdue will choke in the NCAA's and that they will fall apart once they face a well coached team with athleticism and a chip on their shoulder. Its more of a constant than death and taxes. The 96 embarrassing upset to UGa was my last time getting sucked into the perennial disappointment of Purdue men's basketball. That and the rampant cheating which with the recent ruling from the judge in Tennessee is now just the wild wild west. There are no longer any rules against the bag man showing up and buying players for his favorite school. NCAA men's basketball is now officially a pro league with school names attached to them, not like the majority of the top 20 have not acted that way for 4 decades. I just cannot sit and watch and listen to the utter bullshit hypocrisy spread about a completely corrupt sport and system by talking heads just promoting that success and turning a blind eye to the cheating.
Here’s the thing Michael, I actually agree with your posts 90% of the time, I don’t mind Terry, just don’t think she’s a can’t replace. I’m going to not post about her anymore, I want no hard feelings, it’s freaking women’s basketball, there’s like 10 people on here that care to begin with, we’re two of them. As for your shots at the men’s team, i don’t get it, hopefully, you’re rooting for them to make a Final 4, it’s been a fun season.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing Michael, I actually agree with your posts 90% of the time, I don’t mind Terry, just don’t think she’s a can’t replace. I’m going to not post about her anymore, I want no hard feelings, it’s freaking women’s basketball, there’s like 10 people on here that care to begin with, we’re two of them. As for your shots at the men’s team, i don’t get it, hopefully, you’re rooting for them to make a Final 4, it’s been a fun season.
As to Terry, I never said irreplaceable, but she will be very hard to replace. Purdue women historically are terrible at rebounding and Versyp/Gearlds never have seemed to prioritize that. Terry masked that deficiency immensely by leading the team in rebounding from the point. She is also top 3 in the Big Ten and top 25 nationally in assists and will set the record for Purdue for career assist to turnover ratio by a 25% increase over the current record holder. She is scoring challenged and I have conceded its less than optimal, but she is still far and away the best player on Purdue's team.

Second, NO I DON'T ROOT FOR THE MEN'S TEAM>>>>>> I DO NOT CARE FOR MEN'S basketball............... NOT ONE IOTA!!!!!!!!! Also when I offered to bet $2,500 against the men making the FF it was because I consider it more certain than the sun coming up tomorrow. They are a badly flawed team running an archaic system and have two substandard starters that will be easily exploited by a quicker team favoring a clear out and drive the ball philosophy.

Third, I would LOVE to not have to discuss the men's team ever again, ESPECIALLY on this forum. I hold no animus to you other than your insistence that a Purdue fan has to support all Purdue sports. Just for the record my thoughts on football is its a barbaric sport not dissimilar to gladiator games in ancient Rome/ except the deaths come 20-30 years later in the form of debilitating mental illness leading to murder suicide rages by former players with severe concussion syndrome. So, if we can stick to women's sports on the women's forum and you go pester people about the men's team on the men's forum, I don't think I would have any issues with you at all. You have a different perspective and I like hearing it, even if I don't agree with it..... ;)

As to Terry, I never said irreplaceable, but she will be very hard to replace. Purdue women historically are terrible at rebounding and Versyp/Gearlds never have seemed to prioritize that. Terry masked that deficiency immensely by leading the team in rebounding from the point. She is also top 3 in the Big Ten and top 25 nationally in assists and will set the record for Purdue for career assist to turnover ratio by a 25% increase over the current record holder. She is scoring challenged and I have conceded its less than optimal, but she is still far and away the best player on Purdue's team.

Second, NO I DON'T ROOT FOR THE MEN'S TEAM>>>>>> I DO NOT CARE FOR MEN'S basketball............... NOT ONE IOTA!!!!!!!!! Also when I offered to bet $2,500 against the men making the FF it was because I consider it more certain than the sun coming up tomorrow. They are a badly flawed team running an archaic system and have two substandard starters that will be easily exploited by a quicker team favoring a clear out and drive the ball philosophy.

Third, I would LOVE to not have to discuss the men's team ever again, ESPECIALLY on this forum. I hold no animus to you other than your insistence that a Purdue fan has to support all Purdue sports. Just for the record my thoughts on football is its a barbaric sport not dissimilar to gladiator games in ancient Rome/ except the deaths come 20-30 years later in the form of debilitating mental illness leading to murder suicide rages by former players with severe concussion syndrome. So, if we can stick to women's sports on the women's forum and you go pester people about the men's team on the men's forum, I don't think I would have any issues with you at all. You have a different perspective and I like hearing it, even if I don't agree with it..... ;)
Go on any gambling site, when the brackets are put up you can bet $2500 that they won’t make it. Considering they haven’t in over 40 years I would say your odds are pretty decent.

• Haha
Go on any gambling site, when the brackets are put up you can bet $2500 that they won’t make it. Considering they haven’t in over 40 years I would say your odds are pretty decent.
yeah, but its not a good return, last year it was like 1-10 odds. Bet 2500 get 250 back minus the vig. ;)

yeah, but its not a good return, last year it was like 1-10 odds. Bet 2500 get 250 back minus the vig. ;)
Purdue will be bigger favorites this year, last year they were very overrated as the 1 seed, this years team is much better. My guess is you’d get at least $400 back.

• Haha

You posted on Feb. 19 on the Portal thoughts thread: "I would love for the men to win it all,..."
In this post you indicate: "NO I DON'T ROOT FOR THE MEN'S TEAM>>>" I like last week's version. :)

You posted on Feb. 19 on the Portal thoughts thread: "I would love for the men to win it all,..."
In this post you indicate: "NO I DON'T ROOT FOR THE MEN'S TEAM>>>" I like last week's version. :)
As a Purdue grad I root for every team, I think the women’s game is brutal to watch, since I love hoops though I watch the Purdue women if on, very difficult to do. It must be an acquired taste, Michael may be the only one that enjoys it more than the men’s, heck, he’s watching Wisky women’s hoops and telling us about their great ball movement, apparently the lady Boilers put a stop to it with that beat down! Hopefully, that win propels the women to a nice finish entering the Big Ten tournament.

I would love the men to win it all. But I don't root for them, that implies following results and being emotionally invested. I loved when the women's golf team won it all, but I ain't never once "rooted for them"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT