ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa v. Purdue Game Thread

A
And this is why we can easily beat a press in the future. This will not go unnoticed by coaches. CMP knows how to beat a press ... our guys just need to execute.
Agreed. This will get corrected and we have the shooters and athletes to really make people pay for the press. I chalk this up to the guys not expecting the press and not reacting. It snowballed from there. In their minds they must have been thinking "no way the press works" so they didn't commit to helping.

A

Agreed. This will get corrected and we have the shooters and athletes to really make people pay for the press. I chalk this up to the guys not expecting the press and not reacting. It snowballed from there. In their minds they must have been thinking "no way the press works" so they didn't commit to helping.
KaBAM

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
A

This makes a lot of sense. Especially after how they handled the press used by Florida State.

A

And then they were worried about getting submarined by #4

This felt similar to 2016 when they beat us at home when we were ranked #14 early in the season. We were up 37-20 at half and then they pressed us. Uthoff went off for 25. This years team found a way to win though.

Definitely our ugliest game of the year

Can this team win ugly? Check

And who shows up in an ugly game? Mr Mason Gillis. Just another positive of how versatile this team can be IMO.

Would have been nice to roll them by 25, but give Iowa credit. They will be top 4 in the conference if they keep playing defense like that. I was shocked at how they kept Purdue bigs from scoring down low. The press issues were definitely concerning, but not a bad thing to humble the team before they are number 1 with that huge target on their backs.

And this is why we can easily beat a press in the future. This will not go unnoticed by coaches. CMP knows how to beat a press ... our guys just need to execute.

Yes - I'd like to see Gillis, Furst, or Williams help out.....it opens the floor and could give Ivey a lot of options if you attack it. Flip the mind-set from surviving it to attacking it. Could still have one other shooter free in the corner.

Now....not everybody has the length and quickness to do it like Iowa.....but Baylor and Duke do. It's better this happen early to fix it than in late March and kill the season.

Candidly, I think the team looked a little tight - @ Rutgers next week.....need a better, more focused and fundamentally sound effort, there.

JMHO

How hard is it to put a guy in the middle of that press like every middle school coach teaches????

Painter would call time outs and send everyone to the other end of the court with zero adjustment. Not once did he put a guy in the middle.

Pretty unreal. Despite that your pgs need to be able to beat someone off the dribble...

There is a thread about our weakness... its PG play, the press, and painter scheming against the press

Can this team win ugly? Check

And who shows up in an ugly game? Mr Mason Gillis. Just another positive of how versatile this team can be IMO.

Would have been nice to roll them by 25, but give Iowa credit. They will be top 4 in the conference if they keep playing defense like that. I was shocked at how they kept Purdue bigs from scoring down low. The press issues were definitely concerning, but not a bad thing to humble the team before they are number 1 with that huge target on their backs.

I agree.....if they play that way consistently, they'll be a solid team and ranked. Trevion Williams said it threw him off a little because they didn't double the post....they were very physical too.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
How hard is it to put a guy in the middle of that press like every middle school coach teaches????

Painter would call time outs and send everyone to the other end of the court with zero adjustment. Not once did he put a guy in the middle.

Pretty unreal. Despite that your pgs need to be able to beat someone off the dribble...

There is a thread about our weakness... its PG play, the press, and painter scheming against the press

I mean, I really do have to agree with that... I can still remember my 7th grade coach teaching us how to break a press in a timeout huddle on the sideline, and we went out and executed it, and made them pay for pressing us... it does seem kind of inconceivable that they can't make *some* sort of adjustment on the fly with college level players...

Reactions: RossMackey

Any one remember when LewJack was the press breaker? Yes, the coaches need to teach breaking the press and the guys need to execute. Hunter and IT have to be better. However, I think Ivey is faster than LewJack with the ball and we will eventually see him get the ball and hammer it past everyone in these situations. He was flat out deadly in Connecticut against final 4 talent as a passer in open court and it will only take 3 or 4 open 3's or dunks before the other team pulls the press back.

Any one remember when LewJack was the press breaker? Yes, the coaches need to teach breaking the press and the guys need to execute. Hunter and IT have to be better. However, I think Ivey is faster than LewJack with the ball and we will eventually see him get the ball and hammer it past everyone in these situations. He was flat out deadly in Connecticut against final 4 talent as a passer in open court and it will only take 3 or 4 open 3's or dunks before the other team pulls the press back.
We don't have anyone who handles the ball like Lewis.

So, we assume that every team we play from now on will be able to insert a quality press (not an easy thing to do) just to play us? I don't know any B1G teams that play much of a press. They may try to insert one in the two or three days before they play us, but I doubt that would benefit them. A press is just an open opportunity to score unless its damned well played.
No we don't assume every team will be able to. But, do you think Iowa is the only team that can? You're being naive if you think we didn't get a bit exposed last night. We had this exact same issue a few years ago. And, it ended up haunting us.

Go ahead and start lighting me up, but been saying for a long time, IT and Hunter arguably aren’t B10 talent guards from a speed, size, talent, ball handling and athleticism standpoint.
It is what it is.

Go ahead and start lighting me up, but been saying for a long time, IT and Hunter arguably aren’t B10 talent guards from a speed, size, talent, ball handling and athleticism standpoint.
It is what it is.
Yep. Been saying/thinking this since they got here. Def great kids and solid players, but not to the level most successful team's guards are to make a deep run or win the NCAA altogether for the reasons you list.

Yep. Been saying/thinking this since they got here. Def great kids and solid players, but not to the level most successful team's guards are to make a deep run or win the NCAA altogether for the reasons you list.
They can feed the post and hit the open 3, but every D1 guard is expected to do that.

It is what it is.
Breaking the press is a whole team effort. A guard all by himself can’t defeat 2-3 guys pressing him. I don’t care who he is and what kind of talent he has. The rest of the team needs to put themselves in position to help him. Watch more than the ball next time.

Breaking the press is a whole team effort. A guard all by himself can’t defeat 2-3 guys pressing him. I don’t care who he is and what kind of talent he has. The rest of the team needs to put themselves in position to help him. Watch more than the ball next time.
Absolutely. Not only a team effort, but it takes more than athleticism and ball handling. You have to be intelligent. You basically need a bunch of QB's on the court who can identify open teammates and get the ball to them quickly.

Absolutely. Not only a team effort, but it takes more than athleticism and ball handling. You have to be intelligent. You basically need a bunch of QB's on the court who can identify open teammates and get the ball to them quickly.

Nope, one lottery pick guard isn't enough. Now we need at least 3.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT