ADVERTISEMENT

Interior Defense is a concern without Zach

Purdue79fan

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2020
Scoring shouldn't be a problem next year with Berg, Colvin, Furst, Heide, Loyer, TKR, and Smith being joined by an excellent Freshman class.
But as we saw when Zach was given a rest, most Team's were able to attack the rim against Purdue.

How do you think the Team will compensate next year?

Scoring shouldn't be a problem next year with Berg, Colvin, Furst, Heide, Loyer, TKR, and Smith being joined by an excellent Freshman class.
But as we saw when Zach was given a rest, most Team's were able to attack the rim against Purdue.

They won't. It's impossible to compensate for not having Edey as rim protector.

But, we will be better at pick and roll coverage, we will have more variety of play styles on offense and defense, and if TKR works on it some more, we might even have a center with a modest ability to hit threes pulling their bigs out.

Tough to be as good as we were with Edey, so I'm not expecting that overall at all, but in some ways we might be better

They won't. It's impossible to compensate for not having Edey as rim protector.

But, we will be better at pick and roll coverage, we will have more variety of play styles on offense and defense, and if TKR works on it some more, we might even have a center with a modest ability to hit threes pulling their bigs out.

Tough to be as good as we were with Edey, so I'm not expecting that overall at all, but in some ways we might be better
You all thought Zack might be a good backup by his senior year....how was your Crow!
Berg will shock all of you when next year rolls around....his defense will improve as a starter, he has a tremendous presence to score at the basket. As a mop up player this year he did everything asked, scored, blocked, rebounded, What do you want! practiced against the best in the nation every day, has the best Big Man coach in the nation, has gained strength and stamana, just wait, build him up, don't put him down.

You all thought Zack might be a good backup by his senior year....how was your Crow!
Berg will shock all of you when next year rolls around....his defense will improve as a starter, he has a tremendous presence to score at the basket. As a mop up player this year he did everything asked, scored, blocked, rebounded, What do you want! practiced against the best in the nation every day, has the best Big Man coach in the nation, has gained strength and stamana, just wait, build him up, don't put him down.
I could see a Berg backed by Jacobsen at the 5

Huh? I never remotely said that and I don't remember many other people who did either.

Again, if someone thinks person A starts over B, that's not putting B down.

By your logic, why aren't you building up TKR to start at the 5? This whole if you don't think someone starts it's a personal attack thing is so weird.

My take:

Purdue has had excellent defensive teams before Edey. We'll have excellent defensive teams after him. What we saw was Painter adjusting the team's play to the personnel. We will continue to see that.

This board was a shit show when Zach signed after we missed on HDick and Kalk. I'd say that less than 10% were excited about Zach.

You know a posts going to be great when it starts with "You all thought".......................
Right, cuz we just agree on everything. ;)
Defense is going to be a big problem I think. We've spent 2 years ok with our guards getting beat off the dribble because Zach was back there. Now we'll have a 6'9" non-shot blocker back there. And no Mason to muscle up behind him. EVERY man is going to have to do a much better job of staying in front of their man.
Guarding the myriad of bigs that Zach has helped bring into the league is not going to be easy.
Going to be a big challenge and one we might well not do that great with.
Rebounding will be telling.

Last edited:
I recall my comments. Yes I wanted Dickinson. I also like the twin towers Michigan used. What is not being said is how good Dickinson could have been if he played at Purdue for 4 years. If Edey didn’t come to Purdue, what would have been his destination? Would Edey have been player of the year if he hadn’t come to Purdue? If Dickinson had come to Purdue could he have become a player of the year? I think maybe with our coaching staff, Dickinson could have become a player of the year.

Now back to Edey. Painter was coaching the USA team in an international tournament. Edey was playing for Canada in that same tournament . Painter had the opportunity as an international coach to see Edey play against the best USA talent and came away impressed. Painter had a huge advantage over other coaches by being part of the coaching staff of that international team.

Part of the decision of Edey going to that Florida academy were to improve his basketball skills. He didn’t start, but he was a quick learner.

Now back to Edey. Painter was coaching the USA team in an international tournament. Edey was playing for Canada in that same tournament . Painter had the opportunity as an international coach to see Edey play against the best USA talent and came away impressed. Painter had a huge advantage over other coaches by being part of the coaching staff of that international team.
Is that true Wol? I don't recall Zach being part of Canada's international team prior to the 2021 U19 team. I also don't recall hearing that MP first saw Zach at an international tournament. Not saying it didn't happen, I just haven't seen that anywhere else.

I think you're being kind with the 10%!!

I was for sure one of the 95% that was basically saying "we signed who"?
You're probably right.

I remember being somewhat optimistic based on limited game film and his offer from Baylor but I wasn't 'excited' and certainly didn't expect him to be better than Dickinson. I would have been happy if you told me he would be as good as Haarms or Haas. I remember saying that I thought he moved and elevated better than Haas without as much offensive skill and getting skewered for saying that it was impressive how he dunked in traffic and through contact.

Reactions: Bill4411
Is that true Wol? I don't recall Zach being part of Canada's international team prior to the 2021 U19 team. I also don't recall hearing that MP first saw Zach at an international tournament. Not saying it didn't happen, I just haven't seen that anywhere else.
Edey didn’t start or play very much but he was on their team and Painter was one of our coaches who had an opportunity to see him play

Hope he doesn’t transfer. Someone has to leave.

The tournament was right before he went to the academy or during it. Edey played in another international tournament after coming to Purdue and dominated. He played for team Canada last summer and didnt do much. He played for team Canada in another tournament and didn’t do much.

On the other hand as a coach painter has had the opportunity to see a lot of international players play. I believe he saw both Haarms and berg play

Yes those on this board who were not high on Edey, join most D-1 coaches who whiffed on him. Nobody knew how hard this guy would work to improve his game, with the exception (maybe) of Painter. Even he would admit he had no idea Edey would get this good.

Reactions: Schnelk
Once he came to Purdue, Edey dominated one of this international tournaments. But the USA won the event so mvp went to a USA player! I remember the Purdue fans here saying Edey was robbed and a lot more deserving

The tournament was right before he went to the academy or during it. Edey played in another international tournament after coming to Purdue and dominated. He played for team Canada last summer and didnt do much. He played for team Canada in another tournament and didn’t do much.

On the other hand as a coach painter has had the opportunity to see a lot of international players play. I believe he saw both Haarms and berg play
Painter saw Haarms at his prep school in Kansas. Berg's father approached Painter to get his son on the team. There is no record of Edey playing in international competition prior to Painter showing interest. Purdue has previously recruited players in Canada, so Painter is familiar with recruiting there.

I found his performance from 2021. Where he dominated. I’m looking for 2019. It was said in 2021 Edey’s only othe offers were from Baylor and Santa Clara.

I found it. Before his 2021 FIBA performance, Edey was selected to be part of Canada’s 2020 Olympic team, although he didn’t make the Final Cut to play in any actual Olympic games. But still, he was selected to be part of their team. So his name was floating around

Last edited:
Painter saw Haarms at his prep school in Kansas. Berg's father approached Painter to get his son on the team. There is no record of Edey playing in international competition prior to Painter showing interest. Purdue has previously recruited players in Canada, so Painter is familiar with recruiting there.
There were a lot of posts on this board about Haarms and his playing days in Europe! That info came from somewhere. I belive Painter saw Haarms play before he went to that prep school. Haarms came to Purdue in mid semester because there were a bunch of issues over his eligibility.

Last edited:
There were a lot of posts on this board about Haarms and his playing days in Europe! That info came from somewhere
Of course he played in Europe. He lived most of his life there. The posts were about him getting clearance from the NCAA to compete in college because he had received money to play. And the fact that the NCAA limited his eligibility, so it affected his enrollment date.

This just isn't accurate. There's an article that interviews Zach and his mom that lays out that Steve Lutz was the first Purdue coach to see Zach play in person, which was at an event in Houston. Lutz called Painter and said he wanted to recruit him and Painter gave the green light. Zach was originally in the 2021 class and when Purdue missed on HDick and Kalk and Zach reclassed to 2020 Purdue picked up his recruiting and made an offer.

You know a posts going to be great when it starts with "You all thought".......................
Right, cuz we just agree on everything. ;)
Defense is going to be a big problem I think. We've spent 2 years ok with our guards getting beat off the dribble because Zach was back there. Now we'll have a 6'9" non-shot blocker back there. And no Mason to muscle up behind him. EVERY man is going to have to do a much better job of staying in front of their man.
Guarding the myriad of bigs that Zach has helped bring into the league is not going to be easy.
Going to be a big challenge and one we might well not do that great with.
Rebounding will be telling.
I think we will be worse at interior defense because how could we not. No one is on the roster that can replicate Edey's rim protection.

However, we are getting a huge influx of athleticism. Catchings, Harris, more Heide and Colvin at a minimum. I think that means:

More TOs forced which means more transition offense.

Better pick and roll defense.

Rebounding is a question but imagine a lineup of TKR, Catchings, Heide, Colvin and Smith (I'm not naming starters just saying this is one possible lineup in a game).

You've got decent to excellent speed and athleticism at every position with good height at the 2-4 positions. That's a formula for a very annoying defense and one with at least three proven rebounders and two with superior athleticism to get rebounds.

We will be worse but I think acceptable given the improvements elsewhere to be a top 4 B10 team.

Reactions: RossMackey
I think we will be worse at interior defense because how could we not. No one is on the roster that can replicate Edey's rim protection.

However, we are getting a huge influx of athleticism. Catchings, Harris, more Heide and Colvin at a minimum. I think that means:

More TOs forced which means more transition offense.

Better pick and roll defense.

Rebounding is a question but imagine a lineup of TKR, Catchings, Heide, Colvin and Smith (I'm not naming starters just saying this is one possible lineup in a game).

You've got decent to excellent speed and athleticism at every position with good height at the 2-4 positions. That's a formula for a very annoying defense and one with at least three proven rebounders and two with superior athleticism to get rebounds.

We will be worse but I think acceptable given the improvements elsewhere to be a top 4 B10 team.
This-- we've been spoiled having such an intimidating rim protector in Zach, but I'm actually excited in how we transition to a quicker, more "harrying" type of defense, from top to back.

I'm hopeful 2024-25 will be a sickening surprise to all those phony hoops savants who are convinced that "Purdue won't be $h!t once Edey is gone"....

It is not true! 2021 was his first year he played for the Canadian national team according to the information I can find. He was already a Purdue player at that point and it had nothing to do with his recruitment.

Recruiting Edey quote:

Lutz was the first Purdue coach to see Edey in person, traveling to the initial NCAA College Basketball Academy in Houston in 2018. Edey, a junior at IMG Academy, attended with a group of players from Toronto since the NCAA opened the event to international teams and players.

Lutz wasn’t in attendance just to evaluate Edey. Other prospects were on his radar. But once Lutz saw him, the reaction was priceless.

“I see Zach and I’m like, ‘Holy sh__.’ He’s big, pretty good athlete,” Lutz said. “I said to myself, ‘I really like him.’ I called Paint and Paint is normal Paint: ‘Sounds good; go ahead and recruit him.’ ”

Although the staff moved forward in pursuing Edey, they were also looking at other big men – Hunter Dickinson, Ryan Kalkbrenner, and Colin Castleton in the same recruiting class. Dickinson and Castleton signed with Michigan and Kalkbrenner is at Creighton.

“And we got Zach,” Lutz said.

This just isn't accurate. There's an article that interviews Zach and his mom that lays out that Steve Lutz was the first Purdue coach to see Zach play in person, which was at an event in Houston. Lutz called Painter and said he wanted to recruit him and Painter gave the green light. Zach was originally in the 2021 class and when Purdue missed on HDick and Kalk and Zach reclassed to 2020 Purdue picked up his recruiting and made an offer.
Ok, Zach, was a member of the 2020 Canadian Olympic team, but didn’t play. And Zach was a member of the 2021 FIBA team. And Painter has been an assistant coach for various U.S. teams. Zach went to the academy to develop his skills although he didn’t start.

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER
It is not true! 2021 was his first year he played for the Canadian national team according to the information I can find. He was already a Purdue player at that point and it had nothing to do with his recruitment.

Recruiting Edey quote:

Lutz was the first Purdue coach to see Edey in person, traveling to the initial NCAA College Basketball Academy in Houston in 2018. Edey, a junior at IMG Academy, attended with a group of players from Toronto since the NCAA opened the event to international teams and players.

Lutz wasn’t in attendance just to evaluate Edey. Other prospects were on his radar. But once Lutz saw him, the reaction was priceless.

“I see Zach and I’m like, ‘Holy sh__.’ He’s big, pretty good athlete,” Lutz said. “I said to myself, ‘I really like him.’ I called Paint and Paint is normal Paint: ‘Sounds good; go ahead and recruit him.’ ”

Although the staff moved forward in pursuing Edey, they were also looking at other big men – Hunter Dickinson, Ryan Kalkbrenner, and Colin Castleton in the same recruiting class. Dickinson and Castleton signed with Michigan and Kalkbrenner is at Creighton.

“And we got Zach,” Lutz said.
I found several sources that said he was part of the 2020 Canadian Olympic team But that he didn’t make their Final Cut to actually play in the games.

• Haha
I found several sources that said he was part of the 2020 Canadian Olympic team But that he didn’t make their Final Cut to actually play in the games.
Maybe do the research before you just make a bunch of stuff up about how Painter finds players. Portraying yourself as someone in the know, when you are just inventing it in your own head, is not useful to people genuinely interested in Purdue recruiting.

Maybe do the research before you just make a bunch of stuff up about how Painter finds players. Portraying yourself as someone in the know, when you are just inventing it in your own head, is not useful to people genuinely interested in Purdue recruiting.
I never said I was an expert or in the know. And I did do research! I said Edey played on Canada’s team before 2021 and he did. It was in 2020. I said Painter saw a lot of international talent as part of being an assistant on many USA teams and he did! I doubt seriously you want me to provide my previous type of 5 page posts that nobody ever reads! A lot of my research is directly from the posts made on this forum! If you believe me to be incorrect, I’m just quoting a previous post from an existing poster who won’t own up to their previous comments .

Did Painter see Haarms play before he went to that JC ? I believe he did! And I believe Purdue was already recruiting Haarms before he went to that JC. The eligibility question came up and it was said, that he would lose a year and that was why he came to Purdue at mid semester. If Painter wasn’t already recruiting him, he would not have come to Purdue a semester early, would he? I encourage you to read the archives of this board!

• Haha
I never said I was an expert or in the know. And I did do research! I said Edey played on Canada’s team before 2021 and he did. It was in 2020. I said Painter saw a lot of international talent as part of being an assistant on many USA teams and he did! I doubt seriously you want me to provide my previous type of 5 page posts that nobody ever reads! A lot of my research is directly from the posts made on this forum! If you believe me to be incorrect, I’m just quoting a previous post from an existing poster who won’t own up to their previous comments .

Did Painter see Haarms play before he went to that JC ? I believe he did! And I believe Purdue was already recruiting Haarms before he went to that JC. The eligibility question came up and it was said, that he would lose a year and that was why he came to Purdue at mid semester. If Painter wasn’t already recruiting him, he would not have come to Purdue a semester early, would he? I encourage you to read the archives of this board!
Haarms did not play at a JC. He played at a prep school. Nice research.

Reposting opinions on this board is not research. And no one else has said Painter first saw all of these players on the international circuit. You stated it as fact, with no source, and contradicted by legitimate sources.

It would be interesting to read the comments back then, but fear that would seem like an attack on some and that serves no purpose.
You are correct as it's been proven time and again that being consistently wrong doesn't prevent people here from posting obnoxiously aggressive hot takes.

Good thing for Purdue, there really aren't any post scorers that play the 5 in the Big Ten next season. Xavier Booker is more of a shooter for Michigan State. Ballo is more of just an offensive rebounder and catching lobs type. Okpala is really the same as Ballo. Maryland will have Queen and Reese. Best low post scorer in the conference will probably be Malik Reneau and he plays the 4.

Reactions: Do Dah Day

Don't know about rim protection, but Purdue should be more versatile defensively. Plus, Edey wasn't an aggressive defender because he knew offensively he had to stay in the game. At this point, Smith is probably the only guy who needs to play max minutes next year. Lots of fouls to give. Purdue could, believe it or not, be more physical on defense without Zach.

We will certainly have to defend differently than we did with Edey. Keeping the ball on the perimeter will have to be a higher priority unless someone like Berg or Jacobsen sees substantial minutes in the post or someone else that I'm not expecting steps up as a rim protector.

Just as worrisome to me is our rebounding. To me it felt like we gave up a ton of offensive rebounds when Edey was on the bench this year.

He was already a Purdue player as he was a 2020 class recruit. I just looked at the roster for Canada’s 2020 team… he’s not listed! Not sure why you are still pushing this narrative as his recruiting story was already shared and coach Lusk is who contacted Painter after seeing him at IMG and then Painter became involved with him at IMG.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Painter literally built this team around Zach. Everything went through Zach. I enjoyed it for two years and wouldn’t change it. But next year is going to be a completely different style. Purdue is full of athletic underclassmen that are going to run and gun. It’s going to be an all new kind of fun game to watch. And as much as I like players like Furst and Berg, I don’t see them getting much PT.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT