ADVERTISEMENT

If you were coach, who would you start next week?

Who would you start at QB?

• Total voters
None of us know how close this competition is/was prior to this last game. Likely who starts will be a culmination of everything leading up till now. We have only seen a small part of that in the games. Both qbs have looked amazing in games and both have made some pretty reckless mistakes. I think whoever is chosen will be pretty successful with the rest of our schedule.

Reactions: NVboiler
I don't think it's quite like holy shit Plummer is great. However, his ability to move the pocket and scramble some is something we absolutely need. I will say that deep ball to Bell was really nice. Seems to have more arm strength than AOC, albeit less of a pretty ball.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I don't think it's quite like holy shit Plummer is great. However, his ability to move the pocket and scramble some is something we absolutely need. I will say that deep ball to Bell was really nice. Seems to have more arm strength than AOC, albeit less of a pretty ball.

you Can’t judge how he looks until he is THE guy opposing coaches are prepping for

I completely agree about Plummers mobility. But I thought the opposite about arm strength. I was actually surprised at how much more O’Connell is able to throw balls on a line into tight coverage. I didn’t remember that from last year. Plummer puts much more air on his deep balls though which is sometimes good and sometimes bad.
Again I think either guy can lead this team to success.

I show actual career records. You’re the only one cherry picking, Sample Size.

And anyone could see that O’Connell came in and beat the very same “TERRIBLE” Nebraska team that was beating Plummer that very same day. And, again, tell us that Minnesota measures up in any way to Iowa and Northwestern -- the best two defenses in the Big Ten beyond Wisconsin, which Northwestern whipped.

Plummer threw away the game to a gaggle of gaping gophers in the last minute. All on him. Not his “superior competition” giving over 35 ppg against all others.

Your sampling of cherries is truly picked over and pitted. IOW, YFOS. LOL.
You really need to just give it a rest. We understand you like O'Connell. It's OK...

Reactions: IUhaterade
You really need to just give it a rest. We understand you like O'Connell. It's OK...

Actually I like both. If Purdue people were instead attacking Plummer, I'd defend him, too.

Heck, my dad's named Jack. And this is Nov. 22 ... thinking of another great one.

Reactions: Level 42
Coach Brohm definitely has a huge decision on his hands if O'Connell is healthy. I actually think some people are underestimating the calm that O'Connell brings to the offense. Plummer played an outstanding game, for the most part, but there were a few weird plays where it seemed like he mishandled the ball. Those types of plays can get an offense in trouble. It could have simply been a product of playing in his first game this season. I also think Plummer tends to float the ball at times. We'll see how this plays out but the scary thing will be if Plummer struggles and we get into a back and forth over who the starter should be.

Reactions: Indy_Rider
Yes- you’re cherry-picking.
Plummer started against Minnesota when they were #10 in the country.
He started against PSU when they were #9. He started against Iowa when they were #15.

AOC got wins vs TERRIBLE Nebraska and Northwestern teams- lost to Indiana and lost to Wisconsin which was the only real good team he had to play against last year.

If you are trying to focus the conversation to just this season when Jack has only played in 1 game, then yes that is cherry-picking and ridiculous.

There are several things you could point to as to why Purdue lost to Minnesota this year but Jack Plummer is not one of them.
Any fair-minded person can look at their complete records and determine that Plummer has played against superior competition.

You're arguing with a troll. He insists Brees is the greatest ever due to stats, now he insists W/L is the only thing that matters.

Reactions: IUhaterade
here's my take, AOC is a more than adequate backup QB, but Plummer has a better feel for and how to avoid pressure, throws a nice ball (long and short), better feet too. As far as redzone TD's, well one was called back and another the receiver could of held on better. The one down side he still makes some ? passes. Should get some roll out and bootleg packages in for him too. Can't w/ the other kid.

I was disappointed in some of Plummers decisions or execution late in the 4th. The one to Bell should have been a pick. The two dump offs to Moore that he missed on both hurt because all you're trying to do is get the ball in Moores hands and see what happens. He lacked composure and hurried on both of those.
The ball for the phantom TD was a great throw. Credit for that.
But, after it's called back. he makes a terrible decision trying to hit Moore on a post where he had 4 guys around him. That was again, a lack of composure throwing it up for grabs to your 5'9 guy in traffic.

Reactions: Level 42
I stick with Plummer. Has more zip and can probably make some throws AOC can't. Plummer needs to work on his touch on the short passes but I think he makes our WR weapons better because he can throw them open if needed.

I stick with Plummer. Has more zip and can probably make some throws AOC can't. Plummer needs to work on his touch on the short passes but I think he makes our WR weapons better because he can throw them open if needed.

I’d disagree that he has more “zip”. I think throwing accurate tight spirals is the one area where AOC is better.

I think Plummer can throw deep with less effort and can get those kind of throws out quicker if need be. I think the gap in mobility is huge. I’d almost go with Plummer solely on that... but Plummer is a good passer too which makes the decision easy for me if I am the coach.
I believe Plummer gives the team a better chance of beating the good teams. AOC= more punts imo.

We should sign and start Dick Butkus. No one would dare intercept him.

He’d double on defense, the real positions of need.

I’d disagree that he has more “zip”. I think throwing accurate tight spirals is the one area where AOC is better.

I think Plummer can throw deep with less effort and can get those kind of throws out quicker if need be. I think the gap in mobility is huge. I’d almost go with Plummer solely on that... but Plummer is a good passer too which makes the decision easy for me if I am the coach.
I believe Plummer gives the team a better chance of beating the good teams. AOC= more punts imo.
Until we have an offensive line that won't get pushed around a lot and can develop a running game with a running back, we're going to need a mobile QB. It's just that simple. AOC is a very good pocket passer. But when the pocket breaks down, so does he. I still contend that we win the NW game due to Plummer's mobility.

Until we have an offensive line that won't get pushed around a lot and can develop a running game with a running back, we're going to need a mobile QB. It's just that simple. AOC is a very good pocket passer. But when the pocket breaks down, so does he. I still contend that we win the NW game due to Plummer's mobility.
Agree 100%

We should sign and start Dick Butkus. No one would dare intercept him.

He’d double on defense, the real positions of need.
he'd prolly have like 5 personal fouls though, don't allow clothesline shots against receivers these days.

Zander Horvath is sixth in the Big Ten in rushing with 80 yards per game, gaining 5.1 per carry. When needed, Horvath is the prime outlet, gaining 51 receiving yards per game, 9.3 yards per catch. He’s second on the team in receptions (22) and third in receiving yards (205). He’s 6-3, 230 pounds but still faster than all defenders but the DBs, who he can hurdle and clear by 3 feet, as Iowa learned.

We not only have a running back but a very good one.

As for breaking down, recall our last play at Minnesota. Northwestern is far better.

Zander Horvath is sixth in the Big Ten in rushing with 80 yards per game, gaining 5.1 per carry. When needed, Horvath is the prime outlet, gaining 51 receiving yards per game, 9.3 yards per catch. He’s second on the team in receptions (22) and third in receiving yards (205). He’s 6-3, 230 pounds but still faster than all defenders but the DBs, who he can hurdle and clear by 3 feet, as Iowa learned.

We not only have a running back but a very good one.

As for breaking down, recall our last play at Minnesota. Northwestern is far better.
You apparently aren't really reading my posts. We had very little to no running game in the Northwestern game. Our OL got pushed around. It's not Horvath's fault. Our OL isn't all that great yet. If you could just for a moment, listen, read, and comprehend what people are saying, you wouldn't have to post 300 lines of stats about Horvath and O'Connell...

You apparently aren't really reading my posts. We had very little to no running game in the Northwestern game. Our OL got pushed around. It's not Horvath's fault. Our OL isn't all that great yet. If you could just for a moment, listen, read, and comprehend what people are saying, you wouldn't have to post 300 lines of stats about Horvath and O'Connell...

Until we have an offensive line that won't get pushed around a lot and can develop a running game with a running back,

Read your own words.

Until we have an offensive line that won't get pushed around a lot and can develop a running game with a running back,

Read your own words.
For goodness sakes. We didn't run the ball with our running back during the Northwestern game. I said it wasn't Horvath's fault. Do you even listen?

For goodness sakes. We didn't run the ball with our running back during the Northwestern game. I said it wasn't Horvath's fault. Do you even listen?

Just look at your statement … that we haven’t even developed a running back. You’ve slammed Zander repeatedly. Others have chimed in. Some idiots even try to insist he’s slow. If so, our opponents must be snails.

Horvath had a run of three straight 100-yard games. Only three backs in Purdue’s history have topped that -- Alstott, Pruitt and Give ’Em Hell Harry Szulborski.

Northwestern has the league’s second-best defense and just beat the best. When Coach Hankwitz stacked for our running game on a wet, slippery field, allowing only 21 yards to Horvath on 10 carries, he drifted out for 100 yards on nine catches … 121 yards in total offense. He had 118 total yards at Minnesota. Just think what we could do if we “develop” a running back.

Last edited:
Just look at your statement … that we haven’t even developed a running back. You’ve slammed Zander repeatedly. Others have chimed in. Some idiots even try to insist he’s slow. If so, our opponents must be snails.

Horvath had a run of three straight 100-yard games. Only three backs in Purdue’s history have topped that -- Alstott, Pruitt and Give ’Em Hell Harry Szulborski.

Northwestern has the league’s second-best defense and just beat the best. When Coach Hankwitz stacked for our running game on a wet, slippery field, allowing only 21 yards to Horvath on 10 carries, he drifted out for 100 yards on nine catches … 121 yards in total offense. He had 118 total yards at Minnesota. Just think what we could do if we “develop” a running back.
Sorry, it's time for ignore. You just don't listen or even try to...not worth my time.

I set them to ignore too

Aw, shucks. For Thanksgiving, I was planning on serving heapin’ helpin’s of your own words. Sample Sizes.

You’d both do better to avoid attacking Boilermakers who lead the conference. Take a hike.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT