ADVERTISEMENT

If you were coach, who would you start next week?

Who would you start at QB?

• Total voters
Tough choice. I would go with the hot hand, Plummer.

I think I see why Plummer might not have been starting. At least three botched hikes to him, and an interception during last night's game. Otherwise he did a nice job except not getting some TDs in the red zone. But I don't know if ii is really fair to compare their passing games when Plummer had the advantage of Moore and some other offensive players. I think it is as Brohm stated, the QBs each have their own good attributes.

Plummer has better pocket presence. He seemed to know how long he had before the rush was about to get to him.

I thought he bolted too early a couple times, but he had far more time against a far softer defense than Northwestern's. The line and his All-American targets get some credit, too ... as do the Gophers. He was bringing it, aside from a few key plays.

Plummer. He was able to gain some positive yards when things broke down by taking off. Was nice to have that for a change. Throws a lighter ball than AOC, but I liked what I saw from him. Although it's easier when you have Moore, Bell, and Wright to throw to every play.

I thought he bolted too early a couple times, but he had far more time against a far softer defense than Northwestern's. The line and his All-American targets get some credit, too ... as do the Gophers. He was bringing it, aside from a few key plays.
here's my take, AOC is a more than adequate backup QB, but Plummer has a better feel for and how to avoid pressure, throws a nice ball (long and short), better feet too. As far as redzone TD's, well one was called back and another the receiver could of held on better. The one down side he still makes some ? passes. Should get some roll out and bootleg packages in for him too. Can't w/ the other kid.

Plummer. He was able to gain some positive yards when things broke down by taking off. Was nice to have that for a change. Throws a lighter ball than AOC, but I liked what I saw from him. Although it's easier when you have Moore, Bell, and Wright to throw to every play.

Like a kid in candy store ... pick anything and enjoy the sticky hands.

Throw in the tight ends, and the Cradle's alumni are surely jealous.

I was referring more to getting the pass off rather than taking a sack.

I think it will be Plummer going forward. Yes, he had Moore weapons. Yes, he was playing against a poor defense. But he just looked flat out better. He moved well and evaded what might have been 5 or 6 sacks if it had been AOC. Yes, he threw a pick and should have thrown another one, but I think the whole team was rattled after the penalty. He rushed the throw and it wasn't there. Moore getting hit was irrelevant.

I like AOC, I really do. But I don't know what he could have showed Brohm in camp that led to him starting.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I think it will be Plummer going forward. Yes, he had Moore weapons. Yes, he was playing against a poor defense. But he just looked flat out better. He moved well and evaded what might have been 5 or 6 sacks if it had been AOC. Yes, he threw a pick and should have thrown another one, but I think the whole team was rattled after the penalty. He rushed the throw and it wasn't there. Moore getting hit was irrelevant.

I like AOC, I really do. But I don't know what he could have showed Brohm in camp that led to him starting.
I have to really question Brohm after seeing Plummer last night. It was a HUGE mistake by Brohm to start AOC in the NW game knowing he was hurt. And then sticking with him the entire game. I think Plummer would have given Purdue a better chance against NW with his mobility. There were plenty of running yards to be had in that game with a mobile QB. And it would have taken pressure off of the passing game.

There is clearly something going on with Brohm that's affecting his decision making and play calling. I'm not sure if it was his COVID diagnosis, or something else. Or if he's just in over his head...

I have to really question Brohm after seeing Plummer last night. It was a HUGE mistake by Brohm to start AOC in the NW game knowing he was hurt. And then sticking with him the entire game. I think Plummer would have given Purdue a better chance against NW with his mobility. There were plenty of running yards to be had in that game with a mobile QB. And it would have taken pressure off of the passing game.

There is clearly something going on with Brohm that's affecting his decision making and play calling. I'm not sure if it was his COVID diagnosis, or something else. Or if he's just in over his head...
You're not comparing apples to apples. Plummer had Rondale, O'Connell didn't. If Rondale was in during the NW game, we most likely win going away.

Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and prove me wrong. Seriously, you need to just STFU because the only person in over his head around here, is your dumb ass.

Reactions: Beorik
Just when I thought you couldn't get any dumber, you go and prove me wrong. Seriously, you need to just STFU because the only person in over his head around here, is your dumb ass.
And then McNutt shows up and throws a grenade in the room. Where ya been buddy?

You're not comparing apples to apples. Plummer had Rondale, O'Connell didn't. If Rondale was in during the NW game, we most likely win going away.
I won't disagree with that. Rondale brought some speed to the running game with jet sweeps that hadn't been available. But I still think it was a mistake to start a hurt AOC.

I won't disagree with that. Rondale brought some speed to the running game with jet sweeps that hadn't been available. But I still think it was a mistake to start a hurt AOC.
That I agree with, but I would also like to see what O'Connell can do with Rondale as an option. Him just being on the field changes the game dramatically.

Reactions: NVboiler
I have this weird feeling that McNutt is Wolegib's alter ego, and they're really the same person!

That I agree with, but I would also like to see what O'Connell can do with Rondale as an option. Him just being on the field changes the game dramatically.
Serious question. What do you think O'Connell would have done better than Plummer last night?

Definitely Plummer.

Plummer might have Rondale, but how many plays did Plummer keep alive by his feet and scrambling. There are no way AOC does that even with Rondale. I still say we beat NW without Rondale if Plummer had played.

Reactions: purduepat1969
I voted O’Connell but could be swayed either way. Everyone keeps pointing to the NW game and saying WOW look at the difference. Well yea. Thats NW. I say look at the Illinois game which is much more comparable defense and O’Connell was 29/35 for 367 and 2 TDs with 0 ints (all without Moore or Duerue).

Plummer played amazing and I think we have 2 qbs who can win in the Big without significant drop off. Thats a great thing. I think it all depends on the gap between them in Brohms mind before this game. If they were nearly neck and neck, then Plummer probably has earned at least another start. If O’Connell was significantly ahead in the competition then Brohm has to be salivating to see what he will do with all the weapons back. Either way, having two qbs capable of playing at this level is great for Purdue.

Serious question. What do you think O'Connell would have done better than Plummer last night?
No clue, but it's also hard to say until he has the same weapons at his disposal. The o line also needs to do their part however.

And don't get me wrong, I am not even remotely "knocking" Plummer at all, but for me to have my own informed conclusion I need to see an equal comparison.

I think O'Connell is more accurate, Plummer's deep balls looked like he threw it up and made the receivers go get it. I also think O'Connell is a better decision maker, even though Plummer didn't make many bad choices last night.

Plummer's ability to shift around in the pocket and pick up short gains when the receivers are covered is completely alien to O'Connell's game, and I think if Plummer has the year to learn and develop, he will be much better than O'Connell. Definitely think Plummer should start going forward.

I voted O’Connell but could be swayed either way. Everyone keeps pointing to the NW game and saying WOW look at the difference. Well yea. Thats NW. I say look at the Illinois game which is much more comparable defense and O’Connell was 29/35 for 367 and 2 TDs with 0 ints (all without Moore or Duerue).

Plummer played amazing and I think we have 2 qbs who can win in the Big without significant drop off. Thats a great thing. I think it all depends on the gap between them in Brohms mind before this game. If they were nearly neck and neck, then Plummer probably has earned at least another start. If O’Connell was significantly ahead in the competition then Brohm has to be salivating to see what he will do with all the weapons back. Either way, having two qbs capable of playing at this level is great for Purdue.
Somehow the opposing defense is lost on people. Here are our opponents’ defensive scoring averages and what Purdue scored on each one. There really isn’t any reason to believe that Aidan, with the addition of Moore, couldn’t have guided the Boilers to at least 31 points yesterday.

Iowa 16.0 (24)
Illinois 32.0 (31)
Northwestern 12.6 (27)
Minnesota 34.8 (31)

I really don’t have a clear favorite. Obviously both guys have strengths. But the whole “fire Brohm if he ever starts Aidan”... is just emotional drivel.

I like both qb's, and think they bring different assets to the table.
O'Connell is still the only qb to score in the 2nd half against NW!
Plummer can scan the field without locking on receivers, due to having his eyes set apart by about 2 ft!
Seriously though, i agree with arguments for both guys.

Reactions: NVboiler
Somehow the opposing defense is lost on people. Here are our opponents’ defensive scoring averages and what Purdue scored on each one. There really isn’t any reason to believe that Aidan, with the addition of Moore, couldn’t have guided the Boilers to at least 31 points yesterday.

Iowa 16.0 (24)
Illinois 32.0 (31)
Northwestern 12.6 (27)
Minnesota 34.8 (31)

I really don’t have a clear favorite. Obviously both guys have strengths. But the whole “fire Brohm if he ever starts Aidan”... is just emotional drivel.

we only scored 20 points against NW.

also, I know in real life we scored 31 against MN, but the offense felt unstoppable at times. 2 missed field goals and the worst call of the year were the things that held us up. If this same game was replayed, could have easily put up 40.

So, what could the Brohms possibly see? Maybe the fact Purdue is 1-6 when Plummer plays and 4-3 with O’Connell.

Some Plummer lovers here were Brees bashers, insisting that “winning is the only stat that matters.” Clearly that applies only when it’s someone else they favor.

“Looks” do only go so far. Like Brees, O’Connell has put up numbers and won. Plummer has work to do on the latter. A great game goes right down the toilet by heaving a last-minute turd with the outcome still in easy reach, no matter what just happened. That horrid pick magnified getting zip on two other red-zone trips, when we needed TDs instead of damned kicks. That sealed another loss. Blame goes on all, including the officiating, kick team, defense, coaches and the quarterback.

The healthier Plummer will start, but winning more than one time would be nice.

Reactions: NVboiler and BBG
Plummer hasn’t faced the same opponents as AOC has. That matters with such a limited sample-size. Plummer was playing during the toughest portion of the schedule last year.

Plummer hasn’t faced the same opponents as AOC has. That matters with such a limited sample-size. Plummer was playing during the toughest portion of the schedule last year.

You're right. Iowa and Northwestern are much better than Minnesota.

Cherry picking? Try sticking to reality. Plummer 1-6. O'Connell 4-3. ... LOL

Yes- you’re cherry-picking.
Plummer started against Minnesota when they were #10 in the country.
He started against PSU when they were #9. He started against Iowa when they were #15.

AOC got wins vs TERRIBLE Nebraska and Northwestern teams- lost to Indiana and lost to Wisconsin which was the only real good team he had to play against last year.

If you are trying to focus the conversation to just this season when Jack has only played in 1 game, then yes that is cherry-picking and ridiculous.

There are several things you could point to as to why Purdue lost to Minnesota this year but Jack Plummer is not one of them.
Any fair-minded person can look at their complete records and determine that Plummer has played against superior competition.

Tough choice. I would go with the hot hand, Plummer.

luke mccaffrey

I like Plummer more but I’d caution against thinking “oh this is great.”

a big part of why the backup comes in and looks hot is because opposing coaches have been spending 90% of their QB game plan time on the other guy.

schiano will be spending all his time on Plummer .. you’ll see how good he is against Rutgers

Yes- you’re cherry-picking.
Plummer started against Minnesota when they were #10 in the country.
He started against PSU when they were #9. He started against Iowa when they were #15.

AOC got wins vs TERRIBLE Nebraska and Northwestern teams- lost to Indiana and lost to Wisconsin which was the only real good team he had to play against last year.

If you are trying to focus the conversation to just this season when Jack has only played in 1 game, then yes that is cherry-picking and ridiculous.

There are several things you could point to as to why Purdue lost to Minnesota this year but Jack Plummer is not one of them.
Any fair-minded person can look at their complete records and determine that Plummer has played against superior competition.

I show actual career records. You’re the only one cherry picking, Sample Size.

And anyone could see that O’Connell came in and beat the very same “TERRIBLE” Nebraska team that was beating Plummer that very same day. And, again, tell us that Minnesota measures up in any way to Iowa and Northwestern -- the best two defenses in the Big Ten beyond Wisconsin, which Northwestern whipped.

Plummer threw away the game to a gaggle of gaping gophers in the last minute. All on him. Not his “superior competition” giving over 35 ppg against all others.

Your sampling of cherries is truly picked over and pitted. IOW, YFOS. LOL.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT