ADVERTISEMENT

If a Tree Fell in the Forrest........

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
There was a time that college bowl games meant something. Now I'm not so sure. IMO, a number of factors have contributed to their demise including opt outs, the pure number of bowl games, the 4 team payoff and this year Covid. The question is does anybody really care about these games outside of the playoffs and maybe three or four other bowls?

I don't. I haven't seen a game on TV worth watching and I'm not that excited about tomorrow's Purdue game. I'll watch it but I'd have a heck of a lot more interest if the match up with Tennessee was played in September, It all seems so anticlimactic.

Agreed. Needs a major overhaul.

I'd like to see an expanded playoff for one. Then perhaps you match similar teams from different conferences, for example the 5th best team in the B1G plays the 5th best team in the SEC. Those games would be played the very next week, not a month later. Essentially like what the B1G did with champions week last year only involving other conferences.

I've tried to watch a couple of bowl games, but ended up flipping over to golf tournament reruns on the Golf Channel.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
When did bowl games mean something? It wasn't until recently (last 10-15 years) they even added bowl stats to season total stats.

There were a handful of bowl games that meant something before - and there still are a handful of bowl games that mean something now. Those bowl games are just different.

I believe we have too many Bowl games to care about. I wasn’t really excited when Purdue went the Sun or Outback Bowls. They lost a lot of luster when star players decided their health and draft status was more important than the game. Should 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4 teams really be playing or deserving of a post season game? I had much more interest in Bowl games when there were only 4 and they only involved Conference Champions! And it would provide more attention to conference races. Is a team that finishes second In their conference deserving of playing for a national championship? I say no.

I believe we have too many Bowl games to care about. I wasn’t really excited when Purdue went the Sun or Outback Bowls. They lost a lot of luster when star players decided their health and draft status was more important than the game. Should 6-6, 7-5 or 8-4 teams really be playing or deserving of a post season game? I had much more interest in Bowl games when there were only 4 and they only involved Conference Champions! And it would provide more attention to conference races. Is a team that finishes second In their conference deserving of playing for a national championship? I say no.
I went to the Outback Bowl when UT played Northwestern after the 2015 season. It does suck that there are so many bowls...but that is a great place to go see a game, and it was nice that UT got to go there after an 8-4 season. I am in 100% agreement that there are too many bowls, and that 6-6 teams should not be eligible. Do we really need to reward football fans with a trip to Shreveport, Louisiana...or Frisco, Texas? Who thinks..."Yay...we went 6-6. I can't wait till we find out if we are going to Montgomery, Alabama or Detroit, Michigan for our bowl."

With that being said...when were there only 4 bowl games? I'm sure you are probably talking about the big 4 (Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Orange)...but here are some other bowls that have been around for a while (Original Bowl Name and first year played):

Fiesta Bowl - 1971 (so the 10th oldest bowl game is 50 years old)
Peach Bowl - 1968
Liberty Bowl - 1959
Citrus Bowl - 1947
Gator Bowl - 1946
Cotton Bowl - 1937
Sun Bowl - 1935
Sugar Bowl - 1935
Orange Bowl - 1935
Rose Bowl - 1902 (annually since 1916)

"When there were only 4"? If you remember there only being 4, then you were cognizant of bowl games 85 years ago...which is impressive.

I think there are multiple issues anymore, there are too many bowls and then most of them are some "Title Sponsor Bowl". The title sponsor changes every year or two, so even what used to be decent second tier bowls is now is unrecognizable by name. That destroys any apparent prestige and makes them all ambiguous and meaningless.

Reactions: SKYDOG and DAG10
I went to the Outback Bowl when UT played Northwestern after the 2015 season. It does suck that there are so many bowls...but that is a great place to go see a game, and it was nice that UT got to go there after an 8-4 season. I am in 100% agreement that there are too many bowls, and that 6-6 teams should not be eligible. Do we really need to reward football fans with a trip to Shreveport, Louisiana...or Frisco, Texas? Who thinks..."Yay...we went 6-6. I can't wait till we find out if we are going to Montgomery, Alabama or Detroit, Michigan for our bowl."

With that being said...when were there only 4 bowl games? I'm sure you are probably talking about the big 4 (Sugar, Cotton, Rose and Orange)...but here are some other bowls that have been around for a while (Original Bowl Name and first year played):

Peach Bowl - 1968
Liberty Bowl - 1959
Citrus Bowl - 1947
Gator Bowl - 1946
Cotton Bowl - 1937
Sun Bowl - 1935
Sugar Bowl - 1935
Orange Bowl - 1935

"When there were only 4"? If you remember there only being 4, then you were cognizant of bowl games 85 years ago...which is impressive.
Outback is nice. San Antonio Alamo) is even better. That should be a major bowl destination, IMO. The whole city gets up for it. It will be interesting to see what they do here in Indy for the Championship game, the city knows how to throw a party. They basically re-wrote "How to host a Super Bowl" when they had it here in 2012. Hope they can pull the same thing off with the championship.

Outback is nice. San Antonio Alamo) is even better. That should be a major bowl destination, IMO. The whole city gets up for it. It will be interesting to see what they do here in Indy for the Championship game, the city knows how to throw a party. They basically re-wrote "How to host a Super Bowl" when they had it here in 2012. Hope they can pull the same thing off with the championship.
and as if on cue......

https://www.indyfootball2022.com/events

I used to watch bowl games all the time... Now... Not so much. Probably won't watch our game if I'm honest.

They don't really gain us anything anymore either. I would be shocked if some recruit didn't come to Purdue because of playing (or not playing) in a game that a ton of other schools get to.

Now.. the playoffs? Sure

What I would like to see is to remove some of the lack luster bowls and put in a real torney style system for say the top 15 or so teams. THAT to me would be a cash cow and something people would tune in for.

When did bowl games mean something? It wasn't until recently (last 10-15 years) they even added bowl stats to season total stats.

There were a handful of bowl games that meant something before - and there still are a handful of bowl games that mean something now. Those bowl games are just different.
Bowl games used to a be a huge deal, more so even for schools like Purdue.

Bowl games used to have quality matchups as well, largely because not essentially anybody could play in them (i.e., Rutgers).

They were a chance for exposure that did not exist otherwise in a lot of cases...they were a chance to match up the best teams from the best conferences.

Now...strictly about money (just like everything else seemingly is).

I have not watched a single game, and, it is not as if I am dying to watch the Purdue matchup...never mind the CFP games.

I watched 'Bama/Georgia...don't need to see it again, nor some glorified commercial for the SEC.

I used to watch bowl games all the time... Now... Not so much. Probably won't watch our game if I'm honest.

They don't really gain us anything anymore either. I would be shocked if some recruit didn't come to Purdue because of playing (or not playing) in a game that a ton of other schools get to.

Now.. the playoffs? Sure

What I would like to see is to remove some of the lack luster bowls and put in a real torney style system for say the top 15 or so teams. THAT to me would be a cash cow and something people would tune in for.
I plan to watch, at least in part, but, it is not as if I am counting down the minutes to the game.

I went to a handful and always had fun...and could not be more thankful that I went to the Rose Bowl...my Dad chose not to go as a student when they went in '67 and said that he would just go "the next time"...never knowing it would be 30+ years later...and, I am glad that I went...both from the standpoint of getting to share it with him, but, also because they will likely never play there again.

I went to San Antonio...Tampa...Orlando...all were fun.

But, with guys now opting out...no consideration for the matchups for the actual games from a quality or competitiveness standpoint...games spread out and on random days at random times...just not near the interest that there had been.

I plan to watch, at least in part, but, it is not as if I am counting down the minutes to the game.

I went to a handful and always had fun...and could not be more thankful that I went to the Rose Bowl...my Dad chose not to go as a student when they went in '67 and said that he would just go "the next time"...never knowing it would be 30+ years later...and, I am glad that I went...both from the standpoint of getting to share it with him, but, also because they will likely never play there again.

I went to San Antonio...Tampa...Orlando...all were fun.

But, with guys now opting out...no consideration for the matchups for the actual games from a quality or competitiveness standpoint...games spread out and on random days at random times...just not near the interest that there had been.
I'm taking my 15 year old to the game...mostly because it's only about a 3 hour drive for me. If the bowl game was being played somewhere that was more remote from me, and wasn't a destination area...then I wouldn't even consider going. In this case...it's close, and the weather is supposed to be good...so, why not?

Reactions: DAG10
I don’t understand the whining and complaining about these bowl games. I can’t think of legitimately ANY justifiable reason as to why these games should not be played.
The bowls generate local tourism revenue. They also give players the chance to practice for 2 more weeks and play another game. The bowls also create several jobs and allow stadium workers to collect a paycheck for the day.

most importantly….many bowls give 7 figures plus back to their local communities in charitable contributions. I get it…the XUZ zipper bowl in mountain bluff Alaska where the 4th place mountain west team plays the 9th place BIG12 team doesn’t matter to most…but it matters to the teams, the local communities and more.
More importantly 90% of these bowls are unopposed football wise…meaning it’s watching this on ESPN or a rerun of Worlds Strongest man from 1992.

People will literally bitch about anything. If you don’t wanna watch….don’t.

Bowl games used to have quality matchups as well, largely because not essentially anybody could play in them (i.e., Rutgers).

They were a chance for exposure that did not exist otherwise in a lot of cases...they were a chance to match up the best teams from the best conferences.

I have not watched a single game, and, it is not as if I am dying to watch the Purdue matchup...never mind the CFP games.

I watched 'Bama/Georgia...don't need to see it again, nor some glorified commercial for the SEC.
I arrived here in Nashville yesterday afternoon. I have been enjoying the food and music. Just had a ride on the Boilermaker Special through downtown Nashville. A friend of my son is playing drums on South Broadway tonight. I'll check it out. This is my eighth Purdue bowl and I have had a good time each time. Not even the beat down in Nashville 3 years ago could ruin the experience. The Rose Bowl was a wonderful experience even though we lost the game.
I am headed to watch the Bball game with some guys I went to Purdue with in the 70's. Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Enjoy the journey!

I arrived here in Nashville yesterday afternoon. I have been enjoying the food and music. Just had a ride on the Boilermaker Special through downtown Nashville. A friend of my son is playing drums on South Broadway tonight. I'll check it out. This is my eighth Purdue bowl and I have had a good time each time. Not even the beat down in Nashville 3 years ago could ruin the experience. The Rose Bowl was a wonderful experience even though we lost the game.
I am headed to watch the Bball game with some guys I went to Purdue with in the 70's. Looking forward to tomorrow's game. Enjoy the journey!
Nope. Can’t go or have fun. This isn’t for a national title!

also, make sure to triple mask and Covid test yourself 4 times before leaving the house and again after you leave the stadium.

Peach Bowl - 1968
Liberty Bowl - 1959
Citrus Bowl - 1947
Gator Bowl - 1946
Cotton Bowl - 1937
Sun Bowl - 1935
Sugar Bowl - 1935
Orange Bowl - 1935

I never really considered anything except the big 4 as real bowl games. we used to laugh at teams playing in the Peach bowl. and winning the Sun Bowl was never anything to really brag about.

I'm taking my 15 year old to the game...mostly because it's only about a 3 hour drive for me. If the bowl game was being played somewhere that was more remote from me, and wasn't a destination area...then I wouldn't even consider going. In this case...it's close, and the weather is supposed to be good...so, why not?
And, if I were in your shoes, I would do the same...with my son...for the same reasons.

Enjoy the game.

I understand the "too many bowl games" argument. And see how it can seem to water down even the decent/good bowl games there are, like Iowa v Kentucky (even if the game itself is going to probably be an awfully boring affair).

I understand the "too many bowl games" argument. And see how it can seem to water down even the decent/good bowl games there are, like Iowa v Kentucky (even if the game itself is going to probably be an awfully boring affair).
Yeah...I don't know who outside the states of Kentucky and Iowa would have any interest in watching Kentucky and Iowa...unless we are talking basketball...that would be a different matter.

I don’t understand the whining and complaining about these bowl games. I can’t think of legitimately ANY justifiable reason as to why these games should not be played.
The bowls generate local tourism revenue. They also give players the chance to practice for 2 more weeks and play another game. The bowls also create several jobs and allow stadium workers to collect a paycheck for the day.

most importantly….many bowls give 7 figures plus back to their local communities in charitable contributions. I get it…the XUZ zipper bowl in mountain bluff Alaska where the 4th place mountain west team plays the 9th place BIG12 team doesn’t matter to most…but it matters to the teams, the local communities and more.
More importantly 90% of these bowls are unopposed football wise…meaning it’s watching this on ESPN or a rerun of Worlds Strongest man from 1992.

People will literally bitch about anything. If you don’t wanna watch….don’t.
I think it has more to do with the fact that there used to be more excitement around bowl season than there is now. There have been too many added and with opt outs happening a lot more now, you’re not getting the team at it’s best. For me personally I like bowl season especially when Purdue is in it and I’ll watch but don’t kid yourself, it’s not going to be the same without Bell, Karlaftis and Wright. It’s exciting to play against a traditional power like Tennessee. That is a game you won’t ever see on regular season schedule. But without our studs, our margin for error is razor thin. Hopefully we have a better showing than vs Auburn

I think it has more to do with the fact that there used to be more excitement around bowl season than there is now. There have been too many added and with opt outs happening a lot more now, you’re not getting the team at it’s best. For me personally I like bowl season especially when Purdue is in it and I’ll watch but don’t kid yourself, it’s not going to be the same without Bell, Karlaftis and Wright. It’s exciting to play against a traditional power like Tennessee. That is a game you won’t ever see on regular season schedule. But without our studs, our margin for error is razor thin. Hopefully we have a better showing than vs Auburn
I can agree that there is less excitement about bowls overall unless it’s the playoff…

But just because somebody doesn’t care about our game tomorrow, we shouldn’t play? The facts are that a less than interesting bowl game will pull better ratings and ad dollars than whatever else they were going to play at 3pm on Thursday. 2 large alumni bases…many going to the game and more watching at home.

Shame we aren’t at full strength but if we lose, flush it and move on. I was at the game in 2018 and while it was disappointing, I think about the result 0. So do Auburn fans. They fired their coach just 2 years after the win.

win or lose tomorrow the result means little. It’s an excuse to watch my football team and have a few beers and not work at 3pm on Thursday. ENJOY!

Peach Bowl - 1968
Liberty Bowl - 1959
Citrus Bowl - 1947
Gator Bowl - 1946
Cotton Bowl - 1937
Sun Bowl - 1935
Sugar Bowl - 1935
Orange Bowl - 1935

There was also the old Bluebonnet Bowl, which had some decent match-ups while it existed. #12 Purdue defeated Tennessee 27-22 in a good one back in '79.

If you won't watch your own team that's more than just "too many bowls"
Not really. These games aren't like conference games that impact potential conference crowns. They also aren't playing for anything meaningful and since there are so many bowls, the lose their meaning

Well.... Unless you're IU that can only seem to get there once in a generation and during a pandemic :D

Not really. These games aren't like conference games that impact potential conference crowns. They also aren't playing for anything meaningful and since there are so many bowls, the lose their meaning

Well.... Unless you're IU that can only seem to get there once in a generation and during a pandemic :D
Wait, are you saying that IU did not make the CFP this year?

Reactions: Purdue85 and BBG
I never really considered anything except the big 4 as real bowl games. we used to laugh at teams playing in the Peach bowl. and winning the Sun Bowl was never anything to really brag about.
Disagree, Wole. The Fiesta Bowl is now one of the more attractive, exclusive ones, despite being relatively "new" (1971). The Sun Bowl and Tangerine Bowl (now the Citrus) have been around since the 30's and 40's respectively. Quite an accomplishment to get invited to either...then and now.

Reactions: Purdue85
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT