ADVERTISEMENT

Catch the last 1:30 or so left in the first half if able

tjreese

All-American
Gold Member
Sep 27, 2008
It is probably easier to let people see it than the amount of typing that would be required to attempt to cover it. However, for lack of a concise manner to attempt to describe the 4 or so seconds each time it appeared Purdue was not guarding a all the people. I wouldn’t call it a zone, man or a junk defense in a similar understanding of a man and zone being used at the same time such as a box and 1, diamond and 1 and or triangle and two. In man it can be quite common to not defend a certain player over most the court and only worry about that person in certain locations, but much more rare to not cover 2 in college.

Since I don’t know who will read this I’ll make some fairly common understandings since zone concepts and people placement have maybe been areas not really considered and those that know these things…sorry for what may be boring for you. 😉 Each type of Zone alignment is a function of a coaches thoughts on his players and what he can do. In a pure zone you are defending an area and so space and time to cover the space like man D is still important, but in a zone you place your people where their abilities might be best used on the court with location being important. Most offenses start on the right side (looking towards the basket being defended) and generally a pass to a wing against a zone. Generally, that side is more the defensive side and the opposite is the rebounding side and so many teams will place their players accordingly in a pure zone…again exceptions happen for certain reasons

When you first get to the time you will see Fletch raise his arm (around 1:14 to go in half) and point to it to signify a change from the man usually played. The first look gives the appearance of a 1-3-1. Fletch is on top on Boo. Zach is on Nicholson at the FT line. Mason is more on the defender side FT line extended (not guarding anyone) and Braden is opposite Mason on more of the rebounder side FT Line extended and not guarding anyone. Out of the 1-3-1 Braden and Mason would be the ones to drop down when the ball is on the opposite wing to the blocks and defend underneath. Normally where Braden was would be that location and then it would be Mason if the pass was made and Braden’s side defended the ball. Cam is on the bottom a step of so high on Langston. Nicholson drops and Zach follows down to the arc while Barnhizer is crossing the lane and going up on top. Berry is sitting in the corner all alone and Matt is starting to panic and signaling for Braden to drop closer so he can try to cover Berry. This all took place in about 4 seconds.

Seconds later Purdue is in man again. When Langston comes up from the baseline on top Fletch is defending him as he sets a screen for Boo who Braden has, but then again you see Matt signal with his arm and the other three players drop a bit but still around the players except Cam who is still a bit in space with Berry in the corner who gets the pass with nobody around and buries another.

I just caught these and haven’t rewatched the game, but it appears to me that Matt was trying to cover the elbows due to some action there possibly due to the mid range game NW had going as well? Anyway, both times accounted for about 8 seconds total. Was it an odd zone? Was it an odd man? I do NOT think it was a combination D. The second time of the half it looked like a function of where the NW players were as to when Matt wanted to do whatever action Matt was trying to defend? 😉 Watch it a few times if interested.

Thank you!

For those of us who talk a good game in terms of understanding basketball, this is eye-opening and super helpful!
Video can do that. My problem is that sometimes live I don’t see as well with my eyes, but you do get to see things that maybe the TV doesn’t show.

What happens is the staff goes over a lot of video of tendencies of team and players and what they should do to defend the other team and then can so and so cover this person and so forth. We are not privy to that kind of information and so adjustments many times goes unnoticed,

There also was a neat out of bounds D I saw and have never seen that before. My guess is that depending on who was defending the trigger man Northwestern reads that and adjust their movement accordingly. I’ll try to find out when it happened but it involved Ethan and Braden. I think there was another adjustment where Mason ended up setting a backscreen for the dump to Cam and his dunk

Thank you!

For those of us who talk a good game in terms of understanding basketball, this is eye-opening and super helpful!
It gets even more interesting...going off memory here (other than O/bs play), but wrote down the times as they happened for any wanting to see for themselves what went on. I think that Lusk/Johnson trying to get a possession or two with some interesting twists cost Purdue 6 points of uncontested 3s over about 10-16 seconds. In addition to what I wrote above, it gets even more odd of the action Purdue was trying to defend now that I just watched until the end of regulation. I'll list 2 defensive adjustments based upon no doubt some scouting that Purdue did in trying to stop. The out of bounds, the odd defensive alignment, an offensive twist and a not so bright IMO move by Boo that helped Purdue at the end.

1) at the 15:40 mark of the first half you will notice Purdue showing what appears to be a 2-3. However get this. Trey and Braden are on top by the arc. Down on baseline right side is Fletch, Zach by basket and Lance on the other baseline. Again, Trey is on top not down low. A few seconds and I think Berry is the one that drops the 3 ball to go with later in the half. 6 points in no more than 20 seconds of play.

2 ) 3:36 left in first half. Zach gets pass on left block double comes, but instead of the typical 4 man diving, the four man (Mason) goes up and sets a back screen for Cam to rub and head to the rim where he caught the pass and dunked. No doubt if communications are bad and they both follow Cam, Mason steps out open for the pass as well. Nice option off the double.

3) 11:22 second half. I saw this live at the time enough to see something didn't move typical on the out of bounds, This was very interesting and saw the exchange, but it happened so quick I couldn't see exactly. This was another attempt to adjust the D a bit to Northwestern. Here you will see Boo taking the ball out under the basket and 4 NW members along the FT line against 3 Purdue defenders. Ethan is on Boo under the bucket, but he is looking out towards NW bench anticipating something there. Zach is in the lane just above the arc protecting a drive with back against ball. Nicholson is one of the four out on the FT line. Braden has Langford (farthest away from the bench). Mason has Barnhizer next to Braden and Cam has #2 who curls towards the rim towards Boo. Meanwhile the spot Ethan was looking now has Langford getting a rub by Nicholson a the FT line with Braden trailing for an open jumper, but Ethan aware of this out of bounds play leaves Boo with the ball under the basket and picks up Langford and Braden then covers Boo as Cam ensures Braden gets there in time before following his man (lefty big) out and Boo is only able to throw it out to Nicholoson. This was simply scouted by Purdue.

4) 16 seconds or so in regulation and Fletch drives left side hoping for a foul and misses, but Zach gets the board and a foul. Zach hits the first to go up 1 and misses the second. Boo has the ball, but Purdue has one foul to give before bonus. Boo wasn't aware Purdue had one to give as he slowly brought the ball up not threatening and with 6 seconds left Lance fouls Boo maybe 5 or so feet inside the half court line. What if Boo has pushed it and threatened...Purdue would have used their foul and NW would have had maybe twice as much time on the clock for the last shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
They just installed it this week. At least CMP and staff are considering some different concepts. Love it that they are at least doing that. Not going to go into the weeds with why it wasn't successful, just say that it was equally as bad as what else we were trying in that 1st half!! Keep working on it and be ready for it at a later time when a change-up is needed.

but then again you see Matt signal with his arm a
TJ, you couldn't have seen this correctly. This would imply anticipation and in game adjustment.

Anticipation denotes intelligence.

• Haha
Reactions: tjreese
They just installed it this week. At least CMP and staff are considering some different concepts. Love it that they are at least doing that. Not going to go into the weeds with why it wasn't successful, just say that it was equally as bad as what else we were trying in that 1st half!! Keep working on it and be ready for it at a later time when a change-up is needed.
The real question is not whether it can be improved, but rather what was it trying to accomplish? I don't know, but there is a reason I'm guessing due to some review of video. The Purdue players were very much in some odd places on defense that is not their strengths and so there was some action in mind fully aware of some severe risks. If it was strictly something due to some action from Northwestern that is one thing and if it is something to do as a generic option against an action to be used elsewhere that is another thing, but those players were not put at those locations by chance.

TJ, you couldn't have seen this correctly. This would imply anticipation and in game adjustment.

Anticipation denotes intelligence.

To the surprise of some it was and will be in the future their outlook most likely...particularly if Purdue gets beat. But yeah, those coaches are always changing things in how they see their players and how the see the opposition players. That qualifier is amiss many times when one team does something and some think another team that is built different should do the same things. Every game is different.

Oh Matt knew and you cannot only see him signal it, but you can see his heart race with nobody close to Berry. ;) Anyone that really has an interest besides the final score and can review the video at the times I mention will see some really odd placement and in the 1-3-1 look Zach following his man. Not having the scouting info and the attempt to stop whatever action at the risk of the Purdue players in certain spots I really have no idea what was trying to be accomplished. If not interested in those times...I really liked Purdue's coverage on the out of bounds play I referenced. THAT definitely was put in there for Northwestern, but now in place could be used in a similar situation.

Reactions: Tommaker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT