ADVERTISEMENT

I love/hate this team

jmohlman

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Feb 15, 2005
USA
I’ll start by saying I hate losing sooo I am really frustrated…but I am very encouraged by what I’m seeing. I just hope that boilermaker fans stick with this team and this coaching staff because the future is bright, it takes a hell of a lot of work to rebuild a program when you are Purdue university.

Give it some time and give the young men your energy if you love Purdue. If not please just step aside because we have big things to do but it’s gonna take a little bit more time but we need positive energy not the opposite!! #Boiler-Up!

I’ll start by saying I hate losing sooo I am really frustrated…but I am very encouraged by what I’m seeing. I just hope that boilermaker fans stick with this team and this coaching staff because the future is bright, it takes a hell of a lot of work to rebuild a program when you are Purdue university.

Give it some time and give the young men your energy if you love Purdue. If not please just step aside because we have big things to do but it’s gonna take a little bit more time but we need positive energy not the opposite!! #Boiler-Up!
The D has been great all season while the O has been inconsistent

I'm with you man. This loss sucked, and it will probably take till Tuesday for me to wear off the sting. That being said the defense is really fun to watch. I expect to get off the field on 3rd down now.

The last INT was really inexcusable. However, Aiden threw some damn nice balls in a steady rain. Our receivers look great. Also, Miller looks like a big time TE.

Red zone offense blows, and I'll not sure how to fix it. I think a running QB would help significantly down there, but neither Plummer or Aiden are effective. Perhaps its all Burton inside the 20?

Reactions: jmohlman
The D has been great all season while the O has been inconsistent
Support our guys, we are getting good players. Keep the faith, we are not BAMA
How do you think Ole Miss fan feels tonight?

I'm with you man. This loss sucked, and it will probably take till Tuesday for me to wear off the sting. That being said the defense is really fun to watch. I expect to get off the field on 3rd down now.

The last INT was really inexcusable. However, Aiden threw some damn nice balls in a steady rain. Our receivers look great. Also, Miller looks like a big time TE.

Red zone offense blows, and I'll not sure how to fix it. I think a running QB would help significantly down there, but neither Plummer or Aiden are effective. Perhaps its all Burton inside the 20?
Thanks for the good take! We do need an AOC who runs well, but for now, he is going to get better. I love knowing our D can STOP teams!!!!!

Thank you for posting this. This board can be unbearable after a loss.

I agree and am also seeing some positive signs. Even though everyone is down on the o-line I saw some good things there too. We ran the ball pretty well today against a team that is decent against the run. I think we had 4 sacks but 2 could have (should have) been throw aways.

We have to get better in the red zone and O’Connell is going to have to stay on top of his turnovers.

I thought our worst position group today was the secondary and they have been a strength up until today so hopefully it was just an off day for them.

Reactions: SKYDOG
Thank you for posting this. This board can be unbearable after a loss.

I agree and am also seeing some positive signs. Even though everyone is down on the o-line I saw some good things there too. We ran the ball pretty well today against a team that is decent against the run. I think we had 4 sacks but 2 could have (should have) been throw aways.

We have to get better in the red zone and O’Connell is going to have to stay on top of his turnovers.

I thought our worst position group today was the secondary and they have been a strength up until today so hopefully it was just an off day for them.
Thanks for the good thoughts! I wonder how much better would AOC have done today had he started day 1? We have to keep it in perspective

Reactions: Beorik
Some of us have been supporting our guys for years with very little to show for it
You are appreciated! I have sometimes been negative BUT only because I love Purdue…I’ll never forget Nov 7, 2008…Brain surgery for cancer. While waiting for surgery on the gurney for 30 minutes you have a lot of thoughts go thru your mind. I wondered if I would ever see another Purdue victory. Lost a classmate to COVID Thursday, he’ll never see another. So when we lose, gotta keep it in perspective. These boys didn’t want to lose

Last edited:
Defense has been amazing. It has been a 180 degree turnaround. I give credit to the hiring of the new defensive staff and how the players have bought into it. They have kept us in every game with a chance to win each of them

The offense is a mystery though. Jeff has went from an offensive genius to looking anything but. I think it falls on our QBs for one. Jeff looked like a genius, because he had Blough and Sindelar under center. Plummer and O'Connell are serviceable QBs, but both QBs have major weaknesses. I have said it for months, and I will say it again. I think Allen might be the QB that we have been waiting for a while now.

However, it is not just QBs, where has the creativity and other things gone with Jeff. Trick plays and creative playing were consistent over the first 2 years. We were exciting, and kept defenses on their toes. The offense is just stagnant right now.

I hope we can figure this out in the off week, but Iowa is going to a mountain of a task to be our next opponent.

Reactions: rgarlitz and BSIT
Defense has been amazing. It has been a 180 degree turnaround. I give credit to the hiring of the new defensive staff and how the players have bought into it. They have kept us in every game with a chance to win each of them

The offense is a mystery though. Jeff has went from an offensive genius to looking anything but. I think it falls on our QBs for one. Jeff looked like a genius, because he had Blough and Sindelar under center. Plummer and O'Connell are serviceable QBs, but both QBs have major weaknesses. I have said it for months, and I will say it again. I think Allen might be the QB that we have been waiting for a while now.

However, it is not just QBs, where has the creativity and other things gone with Jeff. Trick plays and creative playing were consistent over the first 2 years. We were exciting, and kept defenses on their toes. The offense is just stagnant right now.

I hope we can figure this out in the off week, but Iowa is going to a mountain of a task to be our next opponent.
We can stop the mystery questions. Unless a miracle occurs, this OL ain't gonna be fixed this season. We may sneak a win out that we shouldn't somewhere this season because of the D. But this ain't even close to a bowl team if they can't figure out how to score.

Reactions: DAG10
The O hasn't been inconsistent. They've consistently been bad...
3 consecutive weeks with a single TD...like say, it does not matter which guy lines up under/behind center, as, that is not going to get it done regardless of who is back there.

Reactions: pboiler18

They had 9 months to figure it out and could not do so...no miracle happening in the next two weeks...especially in that they can't succeed against the likes of Illinois and Minnesota (or even ND who was shredded by Cincy and who Toledo and FSU both had great success against as well)...who pale in comparison to what lies ahead the rest of the way for Purdue.

You are spot on though in that not only is the offense not good, nor even good enough, but, it lacks any creativity at all...in fact, the playcalling is just bad for the most part and, the idea of Brohm as any sort of offensive genius is long gone as well.

You are spot on also that the lack of a difference maker at the QB position has haunted Purdue too...much like the lack of a competent OL has...or any depth (never mind quality depth) at the RB position.

Brohm had success with Hazell's guys...which only shows that he is a better coach than Hazell...hardly anything to boast about.

Reactions: purduepat1969
But….they ARE getting better….
do you really think they’re not going to get better each year of the next two or three years????
How are they getting better? What is going to change the OL next year? Please be specific. Because I don't see it...

Reactions: DAG10
How are they getting better? What is going to change the OL next year? Please be specific. Because I don't see it...
Never mind the obvious...they have not gotten better in the last 3 years when he has largely had his own guys on the field...or, the more/most obvious...no way they are better if they lose Bell as expected.

I mentioned it in another thread this week...he/staff have assembled the least collectively talented backfield in at least 30+years...and, the same has to be true as well with respect to the OL...that is a feat that is pretty amazing, more so given some of the guys that preceded him...and, with consideration for just that, the fact that they could (and did) assemble better OL's and better backfields, it is mind boggling that Brohm/staff have not been able to do so

We all love and support our Boilers...but that loss was a real punch in the gut!! With our upcoming schedule...I don't see 6'wins now and a Bowl game coming our way!! I hope the bye week is helpful.... But with our Offensive line and lack of a running game..I just don't see it!!

No.. you get a line where you can run the football.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT