ADVERTISEMENT

I expected more slip ups

This team is good enough to win the title - its not all that matters to the media or the public who only pays attention to CBB for 2 weeks - but that is a feat in and of itself. And that's what I want our coach to do, get teams that are good enough to win a title because at some point you will.

We have experienced probably 2 of those so far in Painter's career - both derailed by major injuries. I don't think we have to wait 7 years for the next one - I'm thinking in 2 years, maybe next year.

This team is good enough to win the title - its not all that matters to the media or the public who only pays attention to CBB for 2 weeks - but that is a feat in and of itself. And that's what I want our coach to do, get teams that are good enough to win a title because at some point you will.

We have experienced probably 2 of those so far in Painter's career - both derailed by major injuries. I don't think we have to wait 7 years for the next one - I'm thinking in 2 years, maybe next year.
The word you were looking for is THIS

Reactions: GregJM24

Getting ahead of myself but if the team were to make a run next year it wouldn’t surprise me.

Veterans at the 1-2 and 5 spots. Backed up by role players who are good and proven. Guys at the 3 and 4 who can get by on sheer talent and athleticism.

I love where the program is at!

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Getting ahead of myself but if the team were to make a run next year it wouldn’t surprise me.

Veterans at the 1-2 and 5 spots. Backed up by role players who are good and proven. Guys at the 3 and 4 who can get by on sheer talent and athleticism.

Yes if Smith, Loyer and TKR all stay. That would make a nice nucleus. Especially Smith.

Got to assume some of the new guys will be ready, given their HS competition level. And certainly by years end will be fun to watch.

Honestly I want to see us beat Wisconsin and then win the first game of the BTT. After that I don't care about the BTT. Might sound silly but I'd almost rather then bow out in the tourney and get rested and focused on the real goal for this year...

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00

For SURE!
I think there's a good chance of next years team being pretty good.
At the same time, I've been noticing all season the large amount of decent BIGS in the Big 10. Now Zach has dominated some for sure, but there are quite a few guys now capable of contesting him at least, physically I mean. Seemed like lots of big underclassmen. Some probably to try to stop Zach.....
I'm afraid Furst and TKR aren't going to be big enough to not get dominated by some teams. That's no slam on either guy, both of whom are solid defensively.
But they are both what 6'9" ish? And neither is a shot blocker.
Not sure Berg is going to be ready to step in and help against "those" types of Bigs and/or any freshman for that matter.
We've grown accustomed to our center dominating every other teams centers.
Going to be in for some painful "back to reality" moments next year for us fans.
And no rim protection at this point.
I expect some losses when we can't stop some centers from having career games.
Because they are too long to contest, not because our guys suk.
If both and the other front line guys bust ass and get better, we'll be fine, and could be in the hunt by end of season.

Last edited:
Yes if Smith, Loyer and TKR all stay. That would make a nice nucleus. Especially Smith.

Got to assume some of the new guys will be ready, given their HS competition level. And certainly by years end will be fun to watch.
They will stay, but there will be some growing pains without Zach. I think the offense will get there and be effective next year, but the D leaves a bit more concern. It will be fun seeing the pieces

They will stay, but there will be some growing pains without Zach. I think the offense will get there and be effective next year, but the D leaves a bit more concern. It will be fun seeing the pieces

That's for sure. I sure do not expect the Nov-Dec Boilers of the last 2 years. Fans are going to have to get used to a few more L's in the coming year. Growing pains.

One thing consistent though is CMP who is a master at getting teams ready. Hopefully he can use his experience to minimize growing pains, both from a preparation and scheduling standpoint.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
That's for sure. I sure do not expect the Nov-Dec Boilers of the last 2 years. Fans are going to have to get used to a few more L's in the coming year. Growing pains.

One thing consistent though is CMP who is a master at getting teams ready. Hopefully he can use his experience to minimize growing pains, both from a preparation and scheduling standpoint.
That schedule is probably pretty much set without some payoff that I doubt happens. I think Purdue scores and the offense has more driving and slicing than usual...and Kanon can be soooooo good if he prepares his body and mind. It is the D without Zach that will have some growing pains IMO

My biggest concern for next year is we have a 7 footer in the paint now yet teams are able to shoot open threes at way to high of a clip. This is why CMP is bringing in more athletic guards imo, well one of the reasons anyway. Keeping guys in front is going to be key moving forward. Otherwise it will be a dribble drive layup/wide open 3 point clinic next year for opposing teams... It's also why CMP, also imo, is really pushing Colvin to put work in on his defensive game... Really needs to be focusing on his lateral movement... Not to single him out because lots of our guys have this issue but if anyone can fix it Colvin certainly is one...

But they are better than any of us have a right to expect.
We've demanded perfectionist consistency, and they've come awfully close.
The Boyz have really learned how to win this year.
Time to end the long suffering Boiler narrative...........
You obviously greatly underestimated this team :p

We will hear a lot of “Purdue is not good without a 7 footer in the middle!” Like duh. Losing the NPOTYx2 is going to set you back a bit. I think we will be more uptempo and more guard/wing oriented. Will be fun. Growing pains for sure. But going to be fun.

We will hear a lot of “Purdue is not good without a 7 footer in the middle!” Like duh. Losing the NPOTYx2 is going to set you back a bit. I think we will be more uptempo and more guard/wing oriented. Will be fun. Growing pains for sure. But going to be fun.
Can play that style but need to be good defensively as well for it to work out as well as the more possession based game has for us.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all... Defense is my main concern next year though... Not as though we are amazing this season but will be tough without that presents next year.

I'm not disagreeing with that at all... Defense is my main concern next year though... Not as though we are amazing this season but will be tough without that presents next year.
I think painter can get us back to what we were used to with defense. But that’s next year. Still focused on this year and onto the main tourney now!

My biggest concern for next year is we have a 7 footer in the paint now yet teams are able to shoot open threes at way to high of a clip. This is why CMP is bringing in more athletic guards imo, well one of the reasons anyway. Keeping guys in front is going to be key moving forward. Otherwise it will be a dribble drive layup/wide open 3 point clinic next year for opposing teams... It's also why CMP, also imo, is really pushing Colvin to put work in on his defensive game... Really needs to be focusing on his lateral movement... Not to single him out because lots of our guys have this issue but if anyone can fix it Colvin certainly is one...
Yes, but part of why we get beat off the dribble is because of over playing and inviting the drives into Zachs D.
Now that's not all the times guys go by, but some of it is by defensive design when you have an eraser at the rim.
We won't overplay so much next year.

Nah. I’d rather win.
Yeah, I don't get this. Even if we play in the B1G Tournament championship game we'd still have 4 days off and then play one of the worst (if not the worst) team in the tournament. If we lose that game it's not going to be because we're tired.

Do people do not realize you only play two games per week in the NCAA tournament and only travel to one location for the two games? Maybe we've forgotten given our early exits but it's a maximum of 6 games over 3 weekends and guess how far Purdue is going to have to travel the first weekend? It's not some kind of battle of attrition like the NBA playoffs where they play every other night with an extra day when traveling.

Winning or losing the B1G Tournament will have zero impact on our NCAA tournament success, so why would we want to lose.

Yeah, I don't get this. Even if we play in the B1G Tournament championship game we'd still have 4 days off and then play one of the worst (if not the worst) team in the tournament. If we lose that game it's not going to be because we're tired.

Do people do not realize you only play two games per week in the NCAA tournament and only travel to one location for the two games? Maybe we've forgotten given our early exits but it's a maximum of 6 games over 3 weekends and guess how far Purdue is going to have to travel the first weekend? It's not some kind of battle of attrition like the NBA playoffs where they play every other night with an extra day when traveling.

Winning or losing the B1G Tournament will have zero impact on our NCAA tournament success, so why would we want to lose.
Preach. I'm with you 100% on this.

The players don't want to lose and neither do the coaches...in any game. Getting another ring for life is the desire of all those involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT