ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson??

Sort of like the “battle” between a hammer and a nail, amirite?
Or kind of like someone thinking Northwestern (coached by a former linebacker) is a better spot for a top flight QB over the school whose nickname is "The cradle of quarterbacks" coached by arguably the best offensive mind in the game right now.

I would believe a recruit would choose a school that can showcase his talents and that also has a complement of players to utilize. That team should also have a knowledgeable coaching staff, with a passing oriented system, and ties to the NFL. and it also helps to have a winning tradition with recent bowl game appearances.

For me, I'd be interested in academics, but I don't believe that would be a huge factor as long as the school offers the major the athlete is interested in. Okoro was a computer science major and said academics were very important in his decision and then turned down two of the premier computer science schools in Illinois and Purdue for Oregon.

I recall Notre Dame is known for running an option offense. They have recruited several highly ranked drop back pro style QB's and it hasn't worked for any of them as they didn't really fit into the ND system. Therefore, the system is important.

As I look at Purdue, I see a solid offensive line. I see some elite receivers. I see a coach who runs a pro drop back style offense with a system that is passing oriented. I also see several coaches with ties to the NFL. I see a Bowl game where the scouts named Sindelar as the best QB performance of all bowl games. I see a solid academic school . I see a school that offers everything an elite QB would want to showcase his talents.

I fully understand if the recruit chooses elsewhere. It's highly likely if Sindelar performs as expected, he'll start his Senior year. Maybe he'll go pro 1 year early. Hunter would have to redshirt one year anywhere he goes. if he came to Purdue, he'd probably only start 2 years. But two years as a starter in Brohm's system would be enough to get noticed and drafted by the NFL. If you have talent, and an arm, the NFL will draft you - see Etling.

One thing I'd like to see is a quick resolution because we have several high school QBs who are also considering Purdue and they are about to make their own decisions, and are scheduling their own official visits. And I have to believe Brohm will only sign one QB as part of this class. And if Hunter does come to Purdue, it would give Sipe and Plummer ample time to explore other opportunities, as I would believe Hunter would be given the first chance to replace Sindelar.

Reactions: 72Boiler
Northwestern finished dead last in the B1G in recruiting this year. Please tell us more of how ND and Northwestern are battling head to head for recruits.
Actually, please don't. Because we don't give one iota of a f**k about your recruiting. And if I want to read posts from your board, I'll go there and read them myself. (I don't and I won't) KTHXBAI

Or kind of like someone thinking Northwestern (coached by a former linebacker) is a better spot for a top flight QB over the school whose nickname is "The cradle of quarterbacks" coached by arguably the best offensive mind in the game right now.
I wouldn't actually parade it as that much. NU finished last but with an average star of 2.94 with 15 recruits. Purdue finished at 2.96 with a full class of 24. If you were to take Purdue's top 15 recruits and NU's 15 recruit class and add up their total Rivals Ranking, it comes out to this:

Purdue:

NU:

When looking at the 24/7 composite rankings, they have 18 recruits for NU's class. When adding up the rankings for the entire class (top 15 for Purdue and the top 15 for NU):

Purdue:

NU:

Purdue gets the edge based on numbers alone, but the reality is that both classes are pretty much equal from the standpoint of talent influx according to the scouting services.

The difference is Brohms classes are trending upward and Fitzgerald's seem to be stagnant.
I believe the ceiling is the difference. The ceiling with Fitzgerald and NU is fairly established while the ceiling of Brohm and Purdue while uncertain would appear to be much higher.

I believe the ceiling is the difference. The ceiling with Fitzgerald and NU is fairly established while the ceiling of Brohm and Purdue while uncertain would appear to be much higher.

Can you elaborate? I don’t see the rational behind this statement.

I’ll give NU this...that new FB building is amazing. The battle for the west is going to be intense the next few years.

It is and just by itself dispels any notion that Northwestern has hit a ceiling. Fitzgerald has won 27 games over the past three years with facilities that are mediocre by MAC standards. Objective observers have to be curious about what he can do as a coach now that he has the best practice facilities in college football at his disposal. It certainly has to be a factor that will help in the Hunter Johnson recruitment.

https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

It is and just by itself dispels any notion that Northwestern has hit a ceiling. Fitzgerald has won 27 games over the past three years with facilities that are mediocre by MAC standards. Objective observers have to be curious about what he can do as a coach now that he has the best practice facilities in college football at his disposal. It certainly has to be a factor that will help in the Hunter Johnson recruitment.

https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html
It is very, very impressive, but NW plays in what might be the worst Big Ten stadium. So why not take that $270 million and put it towards building a top notch stadium?

It is very, very impressive, but NW plays in what might be the worst Big Ten stadium. So why not take that $270 million and put it towards building a top notch stadium?

That’s next. The thought was to first improve the facilities that players use 6 days a week all year and then address the one they use for 6 Saturdays every season. Pat Ryan is getting up there in age and he wants to see all brand new facilities at his alma mater with his name on them before he kicks the bucket.

I'll bet Brohms class next year is better then Fitzgerald's. Brohms first class was better than Fitzgerald's and he's been at NU for how long?

How do you figure Brohm’s first class was better than Fitgerald’s? A Purdue poster in this very thread showed that using star rankings NU and PU had pretty much identical track records. Setting aside that I don’t put much stock in star rankings and neither does Fitzgerald. NU does a great job of identifying prospects with developmental upside and the staff gets that development out of those players. That’s why FItz has won 27 games in the last three years despite consistently playing teams that supposedly have more talent if you go by star rankings.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
That’s next. The thought was to first improve the facilities that players use 6 days a week all year and then address the one they use for 6 Saturdays every season. Pat Ryan is getting up there in age and he wants to see all brand new facilities at his alma mater with his name on them before he kicks the bucket.
I hear ya, but those 6 or 7 Saturdays each year is where the team fights their tails off to win that hard fought glory and there is nothing like the game day experience. That being said, I guess you could flip that around on Purdue as well since we built the $65m Sports facility before the South Endzone Project. I guess we are essentially doing the same thing. Ours didn't require as much capital since we already had the indoor field. Granted ours is not nearly as cool as that, but it is a nice facility none the less. That Big Ten TV money is a nice thing to have!!! Next, you guys need to build a proper basketball arena. When I lived in Chicago I went to a couple of Purdue games at Welsh-Ryan and that place is definitely the worst in the Big Ten if not the country. I don't say that to be mean. Your team and fans deserve better than that. My high school arena only sat 300 less than your college arena and was probably a better facility. Again, I am not trying to be an a$@ but it is what it is.

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
I hear ya, but those 6 or 7 Saturdays each year is where the team fights their tails off to win that hard fought glory and there is nothing like the game day experience. That being said, I guess you could flip that around on Purdue as well since we built the $65m Sports facility before the South Endzone Project. I guess we are essentially doing the same thing. Ours didn't require as much capital since we already had the indoor field. Granted ours is not nearly as cool as that, but it is a nice facility none the less. That Big Ten TV money is a nice thing to have!!! Next, you guys need to build a proper basketball arena. When I lived in Chicago I went to a couple of Purdue games at Welsh-Ryan and that place is definitely the worst in the Big Ten if not the country. I don't say that to be mean. Your team and fans deserve better than that. My high school arena only sat 300 less than your college arena and was probably a better facility. Again, I am not trying to be an a$@ but it is what it is.

Already happening. Welsh Ryan was gutted and that is why NU had to play at Allstate Arena last season. The new Welsh Ryan will be open by the start of this upcoming basketball season. We are also building a brand new basketball practice facility on the site of the old football practice facility. Total expenditures on all of these new facilities are approaching $500 million. The Football stadium will be tackled shortly after the current round of construction is completed later this year.

Already happening. Welsh Ryan was gutted and that is why NU had to play at Allstate Arena last season. The new Welsh Ryan will be open by the start of this upcoming basketball season. We are also building a brand new basketball practice facility on the site of the old football practice facility. Total expenditures on all of these new facilities are approaching $500 million. The Football stadium will be tackled shortly after the current round of construction is completed later this year.
That is a lot of cash! That is good news for your fan base. As I said you guys deserve it after playing so long in Welsh-Ryan. I may have to come up and watch the next Purdue/NW game there and check it out.

How do you figure Brohm’s first class was better than Fitgerald’s? A Purdue poster in this very thread showed that using star rankings NU and PU had pretty much identical track records. Setting aside that I don’t put much stock in star rankings and neither does Fitzgerald. NU does a great job of identifying prospects with developmental upside and the staff gets that development out of those players. That’s why FItz has won 27 games in the last three years despite consistently playing teams that supposedly have more talent if you go by star rankings.
If you don't see the Brohm trend I don't know what to tell you. We are in the hunt for a ton of talent. Fitzgerald is a good coach for sure but after so many years and the recruiting still hasn't gotten much better.

Reactions: Purdue11
If you don't see the Brohm trend I don't know what to tell you. We are in the hunt for a ton of talent. Fitzgerald is a good coach for sure but after so many years and the recruiting still hasn't gotten much better.

It’s not that I don’t see the Brohm trend, I do. It’s you that doesn’t see the Fitzgerald trend. Recruiting has gotten a lot better under Fitzgerald and we are also in on a ton of talent. Have you looked at our offer and commitment list for the last 4 classes or so? The pick up really started with the Justin Jackson/Clayton Thorson class and has continued from there. Our recruiting doesn’t overlap much but I wonder how you can hold the position you do when I can’t remember the last recruit offered by both schools that picked PU over NU. Can you give me an example?

It’s not that I don’t see the Brohm trend, I do. It’s you that doesn’t see the Fitzgerald trend. Recruiting has gotten a lot better under Fitzgerald and we are also in on a ton of talent. Have you looked at our offer and commitment list for the last 4 classes or so? The pick up really started with the Justin Jackson/Clayton Thorson class and has continued from there. Our recruiting doesn’t overlap much but I wonder how you can hold the position you do when I can’t remember the last recruit offered by both schools that picked PU over NU. Can you give me an example?

I had offers from UW, Northwestern and Purdue. And I picked Purdue. And I have a tremendous fan base and following because of it with over 2250 likes. Although most of them either ignore or hate me. Does that count?

Because you read it on the internet.

My source isn't the internet. My source is better than yours, and says your info is b.s.!

What does your source say about Kirtz’s ND offer? That came out of the blue but is part of a pattern we have been noticing this recruiting season.

I won't be satisfied until Ryan ponies up for a big ass drum. Bigger than Purdue's. Until then, there will always be a gap.

Did it include a new drum and what are you doing with the old one? I'm not usually one to take table scraps, but we need a effing big assed drum, and they don't grow on trees.
Well there wasn’t really a old facility. The weight room was in some building. We still use the practice field tho

I feel like we are having different conversations here. I'm talking about how much I envy Purdue for your big assed drum, and you guys are talking about us getting cocky. We're not cocky. Maybe we would be if we had that drum.

That is a lot of cash! That is good news for your fan base. As I said you guys deserve it after playing so long in Welsh-Ryan. I may have to come up and watch the next Purdue/NW game there and check it out.
I'm looking at the renderings for the new Welsh-Ryan Arena and it simply just looks like the gutted it, put in new bleachers, updated the lighting/sound, and added new locker rooms. Maybe a new concourse area? Can an NW fan substantiate that?

I'm looking at the renderings for the new Welsh-Ryan Arena and it simply just looks like the gutted it, put in new bleachers, updated the lighting/sound, and added new locker rooms. Maybe a new concourse area? Can an NW fan substantiate that?
You can put a dress on a pig but it's still a pig.

Looking at the pictures, it would be nice if Purdue built a new arena and made Mackey a practice facility and home for our volleyball team. I realize the cost. UW got the taxpayers and Senator Kohl to pay for their new arena. Surely Indiana taxpayers would be willing to pony up for a new arena. On a related note, how many arenas does Indy have and need?

Um, Wolegib is not an NU poster.

Wol and I have postedtogether for years...lol! But the response was meant to be universal...Those that it it was meant for will know who they are...After all, we’re talking “Northwestern”.

Looking at the pictures, it would be nice if Purdue built a new arena and made Mackey a practice facility and home for our volleyball team. I realize the cost. UW got the taxpayers and Senator Kohl to pay for their new arena. Surely Indiana taxpayers would be willing to pony up for a new arena. On a related note, how many arenas does Indy have and need?
Respectfully disagree. I realize fans think newer is always better but Mackay Arena is still viable and the manner of construction with the metal ceiling/roof makes it louder than than any other around and a definite home court advantage. I like the bench seats and overall charm of the venue. Although I have never been to Kohl, I suspect it might be similar to Schottenstein at OSU which has the cumpfy seats but is a morgue and boring to watch a game at.

Last I remember Indy has Bankers Life, Hinkle (Butler), Pepsi Fairgrounds Arena (38th & Keystone) shared with IUPUI. I think U of Indy has a 4,000 or 5,000 seat gym on campus. Not sure if Marion College has an on campus gym? Many HS gyms are pretty impressive-North Central, Carmel,Lawrence North, LCentral, Warren C etc

Last edited:
Reactions: bodog57 and SKYDOG
I do not get this NU bashing. After Purdue, NU is the team that I root for in the B1G. I respect them as a serious academic institution. I know the area in which they are located very well and it has the potential to be a very good sell to recruiting candidates.

NU has historically had bad facilities and that has hurt them. The Administration was unwilling to commit (until very recently) in developing a strong Athletic Dept. Sounds a lot like Purdue doesn't it?

There are many B1G schools that I think we can legitimately criticize for covering up for the athletic programs and having joke academic programs. But NU is not like that. Fitzgerald is a good coach who identifies players that fit into his system and gets a lot out of them. If Stanford can have a high ceiling, and it does, there is no reason why NU cannot have the same.

As the Purdue program develops, and it is doing so quickly and strongly, we are going to have recruiting battles with NU. They are likely to be looking at many of the same players. But their program is developing too, perhaps not as fast but has been for longer.

I think that we here need to keep perspective and I think that is being lost in this thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT