ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson??

Whatever became of Market Square Arena and Conseco's arena? I realize it was not really Jose Canseco's place, but I always called it that.

Whatever became of Market Square Arena and Conseco's arena? I realize it was not really Jose Canseco's place, but I always called it that.
Market Sq was imploded in pretty spectacular fashion about 15 yrs ago. Conseco filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to CEO (Steve Hilbert) poor investments and questionable leadership and naming rights were eventually purchased by Bankers Life

Last edited:
Looking at the pictures, it would be nice if Purdue built a new arena and made Mackey a practice facility and home for our volleyball team. I realize the cost. UW got the taxpayers and Senator Kohl to pay for their new arena. Surely Indiana taxpayers would be willing to pony up for a new arena. On a related note, how many arenas does Indy have and need?

?

If that happened I would question the wisdom and general sanity of our leadership. No way a facility that big should be used only for practice, and it's too cavernous for VB. (Boiler Box is the perfect venue.)

Reactions: BoilerBloodline
Back to the main subject, is there a timeline for Hunter's decision? Does he have visits lined up this summer?

Market Sq was imploded in pretty spectacular fashion about 15 yrs ago. Conseco filed Chapter 11 bankruptcy due to CEO (Steve Hilbert) poor investments and questionable leadership and naming rights were eventually purchased by Bankers Life

That's not completely true.

CNO Financial owned Conseco Life, and paid for naming rights of the new arena. (And it's not pronounced anything close to Jose' Canseco's last name.)

A few years later, regulators made the charge that Conseco underfunded policies and misled consumers, resulting in substantial fines, which was the beginning of financial turmoil with Conseco. Conseco Life was sold by CNO, thus requiring the name change to Bankers Life (also owned by CNO).

It was recently reported that the deal with CNO soon expires, and CNO would not be renewing, meaning a new name will be on the arena.

Don't forget about Ann-Margaret Patricia Neal and Paul Lynde. I believe that they were all NU alums.

exactly. may I count you as my source on this subject?;)
37187.jpg

Reactions: PUQBMan.
The greatest bad-ass in the history of Hollywood was George Peppard-Purdue Civil Engineering Major-former Marine-Hannibal Smith on A-Team-Best Aerial combat movie ever made was THE BLUE MAX-starring G Peppard as Lt Bruno Stachel and he layed a young Ursulla Andress and she was purdy impressive in the 60's...

PU runnderup from the Theater/Drama Dept was Dan Von Bargen who portrayed "Kruegar" on Seinfield... Chuck Heston was over-rated...........Checkout a movie called "Number One" where he played an old New Orleans Saints QB-he throws like a skinny girl.

Last edited:
?

If that happened I would question the wisdom and general sanity of our leadership. No way a facility that big should be used only for practice, and it's too cavernous for VB. (Boiler Box is the perfect venue.)
Looking at the pictures, it would be nice if Purdue built a new arena and made Mackey a practice facility and home for our volleyball team. I realize the cost. UW got the taxpayers and Senator Kohl to pay for their new arena. Surely Indiana taxpayers would be willing to pony up for a new arena. On a related note, how many arenas does Indy have and need?
Have you ever been to a game at Mackey Arena? I went through the scenarios in my head in which any Purdue fan would recommend repurposing Mackey and building a new venue. The only way I can comprehend your proposal is if you’ve never been to a Purdue Men’s Basketball game in Mackey Arena. By far one of the biggest home court advantages in all of CBB. This would be like the if the Cubs repurposed Wrigley Field. Purdue Basketball would never be the same.

Have you ever been to a game at Mackey Arena? I went through the scenarios in my head in which any Purdue fan would recommend repurposing Mackey and building a new venue. The only way I can comprehend your proposal is if you’ve never been to a Purdue Men’s Basketball game in Mackey Arena. By far one of the biggest home court advantages in all of CBB. This would be like the if the Cubs repurposed Wrigley Field. Purdue Basketball would never be the same.

I've been there, but I'm older now and actually like to watch the game and not scream or have beer spilled on me or people standing and blocking my view. I also now prefer to sit in a chair rather with arm rests and cup holders than trying to squeeze into the space on a bleacher. I now go to movie theaters with lounge chairs. I guess I've become more of a suite guy. I blame Purdue for getting me a job to afford the better things in life.

As for the Cubs, I'm a Brewers fan. You'd never find me sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley. I was there as a child watching Ernie Banks and Ron Santo.

Trying to tell Purdue fans to change the way they watch basketball games at Mackey is like telling Brewer fans that other baseball teams don't tailgate for 3 hours before and during the game.

A lot of programs can guarantee him a starting role. The stuff about his brother playing at NU—la di da. More important will be the style of offense, how he clicks with the coaches, the O-line protection he’ll have, and his receiving corps. Supposedly being closer to home has some importance, but we’ve heard that song before.
Don’t have a clue where he’ll land, but whoever best sells him on those factors will likely get him.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
A lot of programs can guarantee him a starting role. The stuff about his brother playing at NU—la di da. More important will be the style of offense, how he clicks with the coaches, the O-line protection he’ll have, and his receiving corps. Supposedly being closer to home has some importance, but we’ve heard that song before.
Don’t have a clue where he’ll land, but whoever best sells him on those factors will likely get him.
Did his brother actually “play”?

Can find any stats

Trying to tell Purdue fans to change the way they watch basketball games at Mackey is like telling Brewer fans that other baseball teams don't tailgate for 3 hours before and during the game.
LMAO...I’m not catching what you’re laying down...lol. I mean Purdue Basketball and literally all of Purdue Athletics (football especially) spent two decades under The Morgue, while the teams performed admirabley overall, considering it was during these times in which Purdue Athletics truly sank to the dark depths of no return. The Morgue was spending money to build a new Purdue Pete (we actually got a FrankenPete) which was scrapped immediately.
And actually it was the PURDUE FANS who have literally always complained that Purdue never helps themselves by at bare minimum, attempting to appeal to the younger crowd. But now, with Mike Bobinski as our AD, the sky is the limit. The things he has done in his short tenure are very impressive. He will need to continue investing in his programs, as we are still playing catch-up. But if Brohm can get us to a better bowl each season, we won’t know how or what to feel. This is uncharted territory for Purdue Athletics, and I like it.

LMAO...I’m not catching what you’re laying down...lol. I mean Purdue Basketball and literally all of Purdue Athletics (football especially) spent two decades under The Morgue, while the teams performed admirabley overall, considering it was during these times in which Purdue Athletics truly sank to the dark depths of no return. The Morgue was spending money to build a new Purdue Pete (we actually got a FrankenPete) which was scrapped immediately.
And actually it was the PURDUE FANS who have literally always complained that Purdue never helps themselves by at bare minimum, attempting to appeal to the younger crowd. But now, with Mike Bobinski as our AD, the sky is the limit. The things he has done in his short tenure are very impressive. He will need to continue investing in his programs, as we are still playing catch-up. But if Brohm can get us to a better bowl each season, we won’t know how or what to feel. This is uncharted territory for Purdue Athletics, and I like it.

Mackey arena is a culture that will never change. Purdue fans provide a tremendous home court advantage because of their tremendous spirit and noise. I never realized how much of a home court advantage it created because I never went to any games anywhere else to compare it to. And when I went to the games, I didn't think it was a huge court advantage because I always thought Purdue had the talent advantage and would/should win anyway. The Purdue teams I watched had Joe Barry Carrol, and Parker, Jordan, Sichting and company.

So basically, I never knew how great the Purdue spirit is at Mackey because I never went anywhere else. I went to a Purdue football game at Michigan, but that's not like being inside an arena.

I've gone to some Memphis Grizzlies games, and I like it because I can get very good seats, and the seats are very comfortable and my view is unobstructed. and at my age, that's how I enjoy watching a basketball game. There are usually 4 people cheering at their games.

I've been to Mackey a couple of times in the past 2 years and saw the new scoreboard. I've eaten in the new JPC lounge/restaurant area. But Mackey Arena looks almost exactly like it did when I watched games there in the 70's.

I went to the games when we had a string of about 20 years of sell-outs. We even had fans for games during Christmas and Spring break. We even had fans show up for NW games. It's not like NW was good in the 70's.

But I'm old now, and rather than yelling and screaming, I'd rather just sit back and watch the game without all the fan noise. I may jump up and pump my fist when we have a close win. but again, when I watch a Purdue game, I expect us to win.

What I was getting at is many campuses and pro teams are spending a lot of money building new arenas. Mackey is kind of like Wrigley field. It's old. Not as old as the Butler field house. And while current fans and students love it, it doesn't compare with the new arenas being built.

But like Wrigley Field, if the fans are happy, ownership (Purdue) isn't going to spend a dime to change things. And my desires aren't going to change any minds either.

I'm looking at the renderings for the new Welsh-Ryan Arena and it simply just looks like the gutted it, put in new bleachers, updated the lighting/sound, and added new locker rooms. Maybe a new concourse area? Can an NW fan substantiate that?

They basically gutted everything and kept the foundation and are rebuilding the entire interior. No bleachers. Only seats with backs. Modern facility. Better views. Should be really nice.

Actually less seats, going down from 8k to 7k or so, but there won't be a bad seat in the house. Also will be executive suites and concessions and other features you'd find in a modern facility.

We're actually excited.

Fun thread, of which I can’t believe I read the entire thing. Shoot me now please. One thing I must take issue with, IMHO Charlton Heston was not overrated. He played a bad ass Moses in Ben-Hur, one of my top ten moooovies. #OldWoman

Reactions: boilerbusdriver
On the down side, NW still has Shelly Long and Julie Louis Dreyfus. Maybe we could get them to be grad transfers to Purdue. I say we allow NW to keep Greenberg.

On the down side, NW still has Shelly Long and Julie Louis Dreyfus. Maybe we could get them to be grad transfers to Purdue. I say we allow NW to keep Greenberg.
I was a Greenie fan until news got out about him apparently going behind Golic’s back and somewhat backstabbing him. Apparently questioning what Golic brings to his audience, while also making arguments for his own show. Talk about outgrowing your britches. One can only assume Greenie saw SVP get his own SportsCenter and immediately wondered why it wasn’t him. Childish behavior in my opinion. Plus at least with Golic you can tell it’s genuine. Never really knew with Greenie.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I was a Greenie fan until news got out about him apparently going behind Golic’s back and somewhat backstabbing him. Apparently questioning what Golic brings to his audience, while also making arguments for his own show. Talk about outgrowing your britches. One can only assume Greenie saw SVP get his own SportsCenter and immediately wondered why it wasn’t him. Childish behavior in my opinion. Plus at least with Golic you can tell it’s genuine. Never really knew with Greenie.
Honestly the new Golic and Wingo show is 10x better...I like that Golic’s son is there to provide a younger perspective and Trey is just so much more likable as a personality on the radio.

Honestly the new Golic and Wingo show is 10x better...I like that Golic’s son is there to provide a younger perspective and Trey is just so much more likable as a personality on the radio.
I agree. I became very tired of Greenie exhibiting his female side when he got on one of his incessant whiny rants. He did provide me a chuckle when he told Booger McFarland that he believed vegetables grew on the ground and fruit on trees. Booger asked him about watermelons and he said it was a fruit so it "had" to grow in trees.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
I loved Charlton.

Charlton is dead.

The drum lives.

You still need more than the drum.

MUCH more.
Charlton died a pretty gruesome death yesterday trying to land his fighter plane on the carrier. I guess we should honor that in some way.

Here is an article discussing how Tennessee, Notre Dame, & Wisconsin would be good fits for him. While this maybe true to a degree, I do not think they have as much to offer as Purdue does. One could make compelling arguments against all 3 of these schools. That may be the bias in me coming out.

Tennesee is just a mess, ND has Wimbush, and Wisconsin does not run a pass happy offense. Yes they have a great line, but they were 8th in passing yards last year with a huge gap between the #6 and #7 team. Wisconsin ran the second most rush plays in the Big last year. It would be a waste of talent for him to go there. I point out 2 Big Ten stats to back this up. Total passing yards and total pass attempts.

Wisconsin was 8th in total passing yards last season with 2689yds. Purdue accumulated 3270 passing yards last year, which was good for 4th in the Big Ten behind PSU 3772, O$U 3679 & Nebraska 3330. Those totals will be going up for us the more our receivers catch the ball and keep us alive on drives.

Wisconsin was 11th in the Big Ten in pass attempts last year with 325. Enough said. Purdue was second in pass attempts last season with 491. We completed 292, but again those numbers will go up as we get better talent at WR.

For the first time I watched his "Ultimate Highlight Film" on Youtube. I know they are cherry picked clips of his best stuff, but man is he accurrate. Watch his film and you will instantly want him at Purdue. If he is any where near as good in college I want him at Purdue. Hope Brohm is camping out on his front lawn. Have him read what Mershawn Rice said about his reasons for committing to Purdue.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.di...back-transfer-options-northwestern-purdue/amp

Nice pass play in the Army All-star game

It's Fitzgerald, and that is ridonkulous. Brohm himself had to do damage control on the Tennessee flirtation, and it's well known that he has his eye on going back to Louisville.

Fitzgerald bleeds Purple - he is an NU alum, is from the area, and is getting paid well - he just had a $250M practice facility open up. He has never flirted with other schools despite having been in the discussion for openings at Notre Dame and Michigan. If you think that Fitz is going to leave NU for another gig, you are as deluded about him as some appear to be about Kirtz.
Totally uninformed. The comment about Brohm eyeing Louisville is a flat-out lie. Their Athletic Department is a mess right now. Bobby Petrino isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, either. He’s at an age where Louisville is likely his last gig.

Reactions: Purdue11
Charlton died a pretty gruesome death yesterday trying to land his fighter plane on the carrier. I guess we should honor that in some way.

With that bad hand, he shouldn’t have been flying...he knew that.

Also over stepped his bounds getting that girl out of that internment camp too.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT