ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson??

No worries bro! Most of us perfectly understood what you were getting at, and the sarcasm you intended.

Wolegib is just an idiot.
Call me all the names you want. I know what happens to your posts. They get deleted!! How about being brave and bold and do something out of the ordinary? Stop wasting your time posting insults and cutting other posters down, and start an original thread about something related to sports, and then sit back and read other's opinions?

The word on the street is he is down to Purdue and a Big Ten school in Illinois...

Therefore, my money is on Oregon.

I don't know whether you were saying that knowing that Cale Millen (our top target in this class) just decommitted NU for Oregon (and why we are all of a sudden so desperate for Johnson, given 3 years of questionable QB recruiting after Thorson took over and was an obvious 4 year starter), but that stung in a funny kind of way.

Dude, you need to quit. It wasn't before Sunday night.

As before, NU might end up with both, but it's not a done deal.

It's not a done deal at all - no one is saying that. Kirtz is down to IU and NU, and who knows where Johnson will end up. But, you're the one who needs to quit - Kirtz is not going to Purdue.

Here's another thing NU has going for it for both players.

https://northwestern.rivals.com/news/recruiting-battles-northwestern-vs-purdue

OTOH, most of that was under a different coaching regime at Purdue, so the trend is not necessarily that relevant here, especially for Johnson.

I don't know whether you were saying that knowing that Cale Millen (our top target in this class) just decommitted NU for Oregon (and why we are all of a sudden so desperate for Johnson, given 3 years of questionable QB recruiting after Thorson took over and was an obvious 4 year starter), but that stung in a funny kind of way.
No we just lost Okoro in hoops to Oregon when he was supposedly down to either Illinois or us.

It's not a done deal at all - no one is saying that. Kirtz is down to IU and NU, and who knows where Johnson will end up. But, you're the one who needs to quit - Kirtz is not going to Purdue.

OTOH, most of that was under a different coaching regime at Purdue, so the trend is not necessarily that relevant here, especially for Johnson.

And I'm telling you that's incorrect information. You have no idea where he's 'not going'.

Just stop.

Reactions: Purdue11
I'm quite confused as to how this points to Johnson going to NU? If I found a picture of him while in middle school wearing an all black uniform and said 'Some guys just look good in black', would it make you think Johnson was coming to Purdue over NU?

Also, unless Fitz plans to alter his entire offensive scheme to fit Johnson..he would be an unlikely fit. Johnson is a pocket passer and NU's most effective teams offensively have been those with mobile QB's who are a threat in the short passing game and as a threat to run.

Brett Basanez was a near 1000 yard career rusher.
Clayton Thorson rushed for nearly 400 yards in his initial season but the reigns were tightened to keep him healthy.
Trevor Simian was probably the only true drop-back passer under Fitz but only started 14 true games.
Dan Persa was a very good running threat out of the backfield but was injured in his final season which limited his rushing yards to 716 (would have been a career 1000 yards rusher).

NU's traditionally been a more mobile QB system. That's not to say they wouldn't take Johnson and alter their scheme, but look at the QB's that Brohm has had. All traditional drop back style QB's that don't have to be a threat in the running game.

Last edited:
I'm quite confused as to how this points to Johnson going to NU? If I found a picture of him while in middle school wearing an all black uniform and said 'Some guys just look good in black', would it make you think Johnson was coming to Purdue over NU?

Also, unless Fitz plans to alter his entire offensive scheme to fit Johnson..he would be an unlikely fit. Johnson is a pocket passer and NU's most effective teams offensively have been those with mobile QB's who are a threat in the short passing game and as a threat to run.

Clayton Thorson rushed for nearly 400 yards in his initial season but the reigns were tightened to keep him healthy.
Trevor Simian was probably the only true drop-back passer under Fitz but only started 14 true games.
Dan Persa was a very good running threat out of the backfield but was injured in his final season which limited his rushing yards to 716 (would have been a career 1000 yards rusher).

NU's traditionally been a more mobile QB system. That's not to say they wouldn't take Johnson and alter their scheme, but look at the QB's that Brohm has had. All traditional drop back style QB's that don't have to be a threat in the running game.

Johnson ran an 11.00 100M dash... he's absolutely a threat with the legs. Watch his HS tape. He'd be perfectly suited to run NU's spread

You do realize there are folks on this board who either live in Brownsburg, or have friends and family who do, right?

Another thing I would think an NFL caliber QB talent might want to consider is how many hits he wants to take in college. Just because you CAN run doesn't mean that is what's best for (1) your development and (2) your health. QB's are afforded more protections in the pocket than on the run. Then again, Thorson did remain relatively healthy over 3 years and 282 rushing attempts.

Johnson ran an 11.00 100M dash... he's absolutely a threat with the legs. Watch his HS tape. He'd be perfectly suited to run NU's spread
Close your eyes and pretend you're one of the top quarterbacks in the country. You can play at any college you want. Do you really want to play for a former linebacker at a small private college with zero fan base and zero history of getting qb's to the NFL?

Reactions: Purdue11
Close your eyes and pretend you're one of the top quarterbacks in the country. You can play at any college you want. Do you really want to play for a former linebacker at a small private college with zero fan base and zero history of getting qb's to the NFL?

Lol, please. The last QBs Purdue has had that were drafted were Curtis Painter and Kyle Orton, and that was years ago. Love Orton because he was kinda a fat slob and seemed like a fun dude and he had a good career, but seriously? NU has had 2 QBs drafted in the last 6 years and Thorson is gonna be a high draft pick as well. That will be 3-3 their last 3 starting QBs, not including Colter who split time with Siemien.

I can play this game too:

Close your eyes and pretend you're one of the top QBs in the country and you're down to NU and Purdue, do you really want to play for a school that's won 16 games the last 5 years (about 3/year), has a coach that may or may not bounce on them for greener pastures, or go to a world class institution that offers one of the best communications degrees in the country (Johnson's major), play for a coach he's very familiar with (his brother attended NU), play for a team that's had three 10 win seasons the last 5 years, and literally be handed the keys to a starting gig for 3 straight years under the tutelage of a QB coach who has put 3 QBs in the NFL in the very recent past?

Both school's have advantages and disadvantages here.

Reactions: freewillie07
Lol, please. The last QBs Purdue has had that were drafted were Curtis Painter and Kyle Orton, and that was years ago. Love Orton because he was kinda a fat slob and seemed like a fun dude and he had a good career, but seriously? NU has had 2 QBs drafted in the last 6 years and Thorson is gonna be a high draft pick as well. That will be 3-3 their last 3 starting QBs, not including Colter who split time with Siemien.

Close your eyes and pretend you're one of the top QBs in the country and you're down to NU and Purdue, do you really want to play for a school that's won 16 games the last 5 years (about 3/year), has a coach that may or may not bounce on them for greener pastures, or go to a world class institution that offers one of the best communications degrees in the country (Johnson's major), play for a coach he's very familiar with (his brother attended NU), play for a team that's had three 10 win seasons the last 5 years, and literally be handed the keys to a starting gig for 3 straight years under the tutelage of a QB coach who has put 3 QBs in the NFL in the very recent past?

I know you aren't going to like this answer, but Danny Etling was just drafted. So, to answer you question: the last draft. The last four years have been terrible for Purdue due to the coach.

The question more accurate would be who has Brohm put in the NFL. Doughty, ranked 43rd in his class and 1133 overall. Got him drafted by Miami. Gave him so very good numbers. Also got Taylor, outside the top 1000 as well, drafted as a WR. This is a no brainer if you go by the coaches ability to develop players. Brohm took classes in the 70-90 ranks and put players in the NFL. It's fun to imagine what he can do with a top 25 group.

Johnson would do well at Northwestern, but Brohm gives him the best shot at going In the first round due to his system. Not that Northwestern won't get him drafted. Imagine if Purdue lands Bell. The thinks Johnson could do with that kind of weapon.

Can you provide evidence of the 11 second 100M dash? I can't find any numbers online for it.

What I have found is a 53.09 PR in the 400m.

I also found this on his Wikipedia page: "Johnson was also an all-state track runner while at Brownsburg HS, running the 200, 400, and the 4×400 meter relay. He is part of the school's record-holding 4×400 team with a time of 3:17.81"

It appears Hunter never ran the 100m dash in high school. I'm not saying the kid isn't a good athlete, but he isn't known as a QB that escapes the pocket and makes plays which is what NU's offense has been built around in the past. You use the read option more than most in the conference and your offense has been its' best when having that type of athlete. If Hunter was that good of an athlete, they would have tabbed him as a dual-threat and not a Pro-style QB coming out of high school.

I know you aren't going to like this answer, but Danny Etling was just drafted. So, to answer you question: the last draft. The last four years have been terrible for Purdue due to the coach.

The question more accurate would be who has Brohm put in the NFL. Doughty, ranked 43rd in his class and 1133 overall. Got him drafted by Miami. Gave him so very good numbers. Also got Taylor, outside the top 1000 as well, drafted as a WR. This is a no brainer if you go by the coaches ability to develop players. Brohm took classes in the 70-90 ranks and put players in the NFL. It's fun to imagine what he can do with a top 25 group.

Johnson would do well at Northwestern, but Brohm gives him the best shot at going In the first round due to his system. Not that Northwestern won't get him drafted. Imagine if Purdue lands Bell. The thinks Johnson could do with that kind of weapon.

Thank you for a rational answer. Obviously forgot about Etling, but this is a really good response.

As I said, both schools have advantages and disadvantages in this situation. Brohm is obviously the hot coach right now and has good history of player development. I'd guess this is a 50/50 toss up right now

Or, you could be under the direct tutelage of 2 former NFL QB's that are known to tailor their offensive systems to the strengths of the QB and skill positions.

You are playing in a lot of if's and could's rather than any sort of definitive fact. Now, I get that opinions build online boards but you are coming to the Purdue and spouting off that NU is some holier than thou program when compared to Purdue. I'm sorry but NU's program isn't, from a historical standpoint, stronger than Purdue's. They are, in fact, quite comparable to one another.

Can you provide evidence of the 11 second 100M dash? I can't find any numbers online for it.

What I have found is a 53.09 PR in the 400m.

I also found this on his Wikipedia page: "Johnson was also an all-state track runner while at Brownsburg HS, running the 200, 400, and the 4×400 meter relay. He is part of the school's record-holding 4×400 team with a time of 3:17.81"

It appears Hunter never ran the 100m dash in high school. I'm not saying the kid isn't a good athlete, but he isn't known as a QB that escapes the pocket and makes plays which is what NU's offense has been built around in the past. You use the read option more than most in the conference and your offense has been its' best when having that type of athlete. If Hunter was that good of an athlete, they would have tabbed him as a dual-threat and not a Pro-style QB coming out of high school.

Honestly, I just saw it on the NU board in the Johnson discussion. Someone said that was his HS time, probably should have prefaced that. Either way, the kid's an athlete. Not a Kain Colter level runner, but good enough. If Thorson can thrive at NU, no doubt Johnson can

Honestly, I just saw it on the NU board in the Johnson discussion. Someone said that was his HS time, probably should have prefaced that. Either way, the kid's an athlete. Not a Kain Colter level runner, but good enough. If Thorson can thrive at NU, no doubt Johnson can
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Thorson a runner up until recently when they sort of backed off the running to keep him healthy? He was timed at a 4.5 40y in high school...that's a lot faster than the 4.7ish times that I have seen pop up for Johnson. Thorson is a much better overall athlete than Johnson is while being about 2-3 inches taller and about 10-15 pounds heavier.

Would you agree that your best offensive teams have been led by QB's known to have a strong ability to make plays in the run game? On the flip side, Purdue has been known as a place where pro-style QB's can thrive...especially now under Brohm.

Or, you could be under the direct tutelage of 2 former NFL QB's that are known to tailor their offensive systems to the strengths of the QB and skill positions.

You are playing in a lot of if's and could's rather than any sort of definitive fact. Now, I get that opinions build online boards but you are coming to the Purdue and spouting off that NU is some holier than thou program when compared to Purdue. I'm sorry but NU's program isn't, from a historical standpoint, stronger than Purdue's. They are, in fact, quite comparable to one another.

The only reason I was playing the 'ifs' game is because the poster before me was. I'm not saying NU is historically better than Purdue. Over the last 20 years, yeah, but anyone can cherry pick certain time frames in when X program was better than Y.

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler
Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't Thorson a runner up until recently when they sort of backed off the running to keep him healthy? He was timed at a 4.5 40y in high school...that's a lot faster than the 4.7ish times that I have seen pop up for Johnson. Thorson is a much better overall athlete than Johnson is while being about 2-3 inches taller and about 10-15 pounds heavier.

Thorson is a long strider. He's fast once he gets going, but laterally he sucks. It drives me batshit crazy watching him run the speed option

Reactions: JohnnyDoeBoiler

Don't forget Mike White. Was rather pedestrian for 2 years at USF, then passed for over 4,000 yards under Brohm at WKU. Drafted by the Cowboys in the 5th round this year.

wow. You guys can be obnoxious as hell, with absolutely no reason to be.

I'm still trying to figure out why northwestern fans think Brohm would just up and leave Purdue like it is a bad job. Purdue is a good job in the world of college football. Obviously it's not a Bama or OSU, but it's just as good of a job as Northwestern and Iowa. I don't see why Brohm would leave for a lateral move. And by lateral, I mean that narrows the amount of schools to no many.

Forgive my ignorance but which NW QB other than Trevor Siemien is still on an NFL roster and he's likely 3rd string in MN. When I think of successful NFL QB's, the only name that comes to mind is Otto Graham and that was over 70 yrs ago? Since Graham played at NW, I can name 8-9 Purdue QB's that were NFL starters.

Kyle Orton had a long and successful career as a starter in the NFL. Your juvenile insults reflect poorly on your school and demonstrate a general lack of knowledge.

... and then decommitted from them? Not sure that's a ringing endorsement
I am not saying he would or wouldn’t commit to IU but it will have nothing to do with the system that is being run at IU. He has already proven he thinks he can do well in that system or he never would have committed to play for TN. There are many other reasons he wouldn’t choose IU.

Forgive my ignorance but which NW QB other than Trevor Siemien is still on an NFL roster and he's likely 3rd string in MN. When I think of successful NFL QB's, the only name that comes to mind is Otto Graham and that was over 70 yrs ago? Since Graham played at NW, I can name 8-9 Purdue QB's that were NFL starters.

Kyle Orton had a long and successful career as a starter in the NFL. Your juvenile insults reflect poorly on your school and demonstrate a general lack of knowledge.

Drew Brees may have come out of Purdue, but he's about as relevant here as Otto Graham is given that no one who coached him is here now.

Mick McCall has done a good job of spitting out QBs who have done well, including Omar Jacobs (HM and 2nd team All-American in 2004 and 2005, Davey O'Brien Semi-finalist, Drafted by Steelers), Josh Harris (drafted by Ravens), Mike Kafka (drafted by Eagles), Trevor Siemian (drafted by Broncos, started more games than any QB tutored by Brohm), and Clayton Thorson (going to be drafted at the end of this year). I'm not sure Brohm has anything on McCall in terms of developing QBs, quite frankly.

Does anybody know where the trailer park is in Evanston? These cats seem a lot like the toothless wonders from Gloomington.

Reactions: Purdue85
Drew Brees may have come out of Purdue, but he's about as relevant here as Otto Graham is given that no one who coached him is here now.

Mick McCall has done a good job of spitting out QBs who have done well, including Omar Jacobs (HM and 2nd team All-American in 2004 and 2005, Davey O'Brien Semi-finalist, Drafted by Steelers), Josh Harris (drafted by Ravens), Mike Kafka (drafted by Eagles), Trevor Siemian (drafted by Broncos, started more games than any QB tutored by Brohm), and Clayton Thorson (going to be drafted at the end of this year). I'm not sure Brohm has anything on McCall in terms of developing QBs, quite frankly.

Siemian was 596 over all and 27th overall. Brohm has had nothing close to that to develop. He inherited Blough who had similar rankings, but Blough had 3 years of awful built into him and he got injured. Not to mention the weapons and offensive line he had was far superior than what Brohm had to work with last year. Apples and oranges there.

Look, if Johnson lands at Northwestern, Purdue is in good shape with Plummer. If Johnson chooses Purdue, they become a serious contender. They also become more attractive for players like Brock and Bell, not to mention the offensive line.

It's all semantics, but Brohm is a quarterback pro style coach. That's an easy sell.

There were no insults. The poster asked what QB's NU has had in the NFL and I've named them, and they happen to be NU's last 3 starters.

I can guarantee you Johnson isn't going to attend Purdue because Joe Tiller groomed Drew Brees into a HOF QB 20 years That has legitimately nothing to do with Purdue's current situation. Just like Otto Graham has nothing to do with this situation. 20 years ago or 70 years ago, does it really matter? I doubt LBs are choosing U of I because Dick Butkus went there or Michigan because Brady went there. All that matters is the current coach, which can definitely play in PU's favor. Brohm is exceptionally good at what he does. That's a reason Johnson will pick Purdue. Not because of what coaches did in decades past

Dan Persa, from out here in Bethlehem, Pa., was a pretty good college QB.

If tradition and history are irrelevant then why do kids want to play at ND? Seems to me, Zak Kustok's original commitment to ND highlighted their history of developing QB's? Also whats up with the Kool-Aid drinkers at NW regarding Mick McCall? I attended the 2016 IL St vs NW game (7-9 upset) and all I remember were chants of "Fire McCall" during the 4th QT- His name is listed as a B1G OC on the "hot seat"every year since 2014

I will admit that Fitz has shown McCall unwavering loyalty but I'm not sure all NW alums would agree.....

ND is an exception, not a rule. I think most people would agree

and I don't really like McCall as an OC, but he's been good with QBs over the course of his career

Dan Persa, from out here in Bethlehem, Pa., was a pretty good college QB.

More than pretty good, the guy was awesome. What he did as a junior at NU before tearing his Achilles was one of the most underrated football seasons in modern college football history. The guy carried NU’s offense on his back that year and should have been a legitimate Heisman candidate. The injury was very unfortunate because I think he had a legitimate shot at being a Russell Wilson type QB in the NFL. By the way, he is another QB groomed by MCCall.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT