ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson??

Sampson James should read this story. These recruits get very excited and commit to programs where they get buried in the depth charts when they could be starting at other schools. I hope he comes to Purdue. We loose Blough after this season so next year would be perfect.

Sampson James should read this story. These recruits get very excited and commit to programs where they get buried in the depth charts when they could be starting at other schools. I hope he comes to Purdue. We loose Blough after this season so next year would be perfect.
1 open scholarship now too, I believe...

Reactions: Purdue11
Doubt he starts over a senior Sindelar in 2019, but that would be quite a QB derby the following year with Johnson, Plummer, and Sipe. If they are all still around.

Doubt he starts over a senior Sindelar in 2019, but that would be quite a QB derby the following year with Johnson, Plummer, and Sipe. If they are all still around.

If Johnson commits to Purdue I can guarantee he starts over Sindelar unless Sindelar continues to improve. Johnson is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation and should be playing on Sundays.

Sindelar is very good, but he may transfer out of the writing is on the wall.

Also, if Purdue lands Johnson, he will sit one play 3. That would mean Plummer will likely redshirt at least one of those years. Then he would be available for a year after Johnson leaves. I also wouldn't rule out Plummer as having a legit chance at playing out Johnson. Plummer has been impressive.

This would be great news. Local kid comes back and transfers. He could be the greatest recruiting tool. He committed to one of the best schools in the nation and ended up coming back.

Maybe he helps convert James and maybe he helps land Kirtz. But, this would be one more move that signals the change in Purdue football and shows that CJB wasabsolutley the best choice.

Even if we don't land Johnson, the facts that we are in the running give me much excite. Insert fortnite celebration dance here!

If Johnson commits to Purdue I can guarantee he starts over Sindelar unless Sindelar continues to improve. Johnson is one of the best quarterbacks in the nation and should be playing on Sundays.

Sindelar is very good, but he may transfer out of the writing is on the wall.
Whoa there! Slow the roll a bit. Guarantee he starts over Sindelar? Sindelar transferring??

Why do you say "unless Sindelar continues to improve"? ES improved tremendously last season. Why wouldn't he continue with a year of the Brohm system under his belt and fully healthy?

3-0 down the stretch last season and bowl game MVP on a torn ACL.. and I believe he will be the clear-cut starter this season once he is cleared medically. Johnson will have a lot of ground to make up in terms of experience. Guess we'll find out, but regardless he'd have 3 years to compete for the job.

Whoa there! Slow the roll a bit. Guarantee he starts over Sindelar? Sindelar transferring??

Why do you say "unless Sindelar continues to improve"? ES improved tremendously last season. Why wouldn't he continue with a year of the Brohm system under his belt and fully healthy?

3-0 down the stretch last season and bowl game MVP on a torn ACL.. and I believe he will be the clear-cut starter this season once he is cleared medically. Johnson will have a lot of ground to make up in terms of experience. Guess we'll find out, but regardless he'd have 3 years to compete for the job.

I didn't say Sindelar couldn't continue to improve. That was the caveat. That is how those things work. I love me some Sindelar, but that is like saying a healthy Luck won't be able to pass Jacoby as the Colts Starter. Jacoby was fantastic and proved he can play in the league. But he has a ways to go to supplant Luck. Not that he can't do it. And before anybody gets riled up, I am not saying Johnson is Andrew Luck (not yet anyway).

My comment had nothing to do with bashing Sindelar and everything with praising Johnson. I think there are maybe 5 teams he would not have started for last year, and Clemson was one of them. You don't get listed as the number one QB in a class by Accident. You don't go to Clemson by Accident. Johnson is the real deal. As good as Sindelar was, he had his fair share of struggles. Could have been the weapons he had, or the Oline. I am not saying Sindelar wouldn't start for the other Big Ten teams or that he wouldn't start if Johnson doesn't pick Purdue. I am not saying that Purdue would be bad with Sindelar either. But, If Johnson does pass Sindelar on the depth chart, not sure why he wouldn't look to find a place to start.

Johnson hasn't committed yet either. So this may be all for nothing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Purdue11
I didn't say Sindelar couldn't continue to improve. That was the caveat. That is how those things work. I love me some Sindelar, but that is like saying a healthy Luck won't be able to pass Jacoby as the Colts Starter. Jacoby was fantastic and proved he can play in the league. But he has a ways to go to supplant Luck. Not that he can't do it. And before anybody gets roles up, I am not saying Johnson is Andrew Luck.

My comment had nothing to do with bashing Sindelar and everything with praising Johnson. I think there are maybe 5 teams he would not have started for last year, and Clemson was one of them. You don't get listed as the number one QB in a class by Accident. You don't go to Clemson by Accident. Johnson is the real deal. As good as Sindelar was, he had his fair share of struggles. Could have been the weapons he had, or the Oline. I am not saying Sindelar wouldn't start for the other Big Ten teams or that he wouldn't start if Johnson doesn't pick Purdue. I am not saying that Purdue would be bad with Sindelar either. But, If Johnson does pass Sindelar on the depth chart, not sure why he wouldn't look to find a place to start.

Johnson hasn't committed yet either. So this may be all for nothing.
It might be nit-picking, but when you guarantee something with a caveat it is suggesting the caveat is very unlikely to happen. Otherwise the guarantee is worthless. Your statement read as if with Sindelar's current trajectory he would clearly be behind Johnson in 2019. I could just as easily say I guarantee Sindelar will start in 2019 unless another QB with very little D1 game experience clearly outperforms him in camp.

Reactions: Mullah
Not to disparage Kirtz or make anyone think I wouldn't love if he went to Purdue, I think we will be juuust fine without him, if he chooses to go elsewhere.

Clemson site claiming he's headed to Purdue according to twitter.

He might very well end up at Purdue, but there are no Clemson site making this claim that any of my Clemson friends are aware of.

Dabo Sweeny's offical statement seems to indicate no decision has been made.

“While it is always disappointing to lose a great person and a great player, I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Hunter and watch him grow and develop over the last year and a half,” Swinney said. “Hunter is one of the best young men I have ever coached and has a very bright future ahead of him.

“I wish him all the best as he decides on his destination.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/05/21/official-release-johnson-to-transfer/

He might very well end up at Purdue, but there are no Clemson site making this claim that any of my Clemson friends are aware of.

Dabo Sweeny's offical statement seems to indicate no decision has been made.

“While it is always disappointing to lose a great person and a great player, I am so thankful to have had the opportunity to work with Hunter and watch him grow and develop over the last year and a half,” Swinney said. “Hunter is one of the best young men I have ever coached and has a very bright future ahead of him.

“I wish him all the best as he decides on his destination.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/05/21/official-release-johnson-to-transfer/

The VIP access says likely Purdue. Likely is not definitive though.

Absolutely agree, ES was superb last year...with an ACL no less. He will only get better... he should be the started this year, even though I have great respect and admiration for David Blough, I think ES is the better quarterback. Norm

Last edited:
The VIP access says likely Purdue. Likely is not definitive though.

That would likely explain it... most of my VIP-level friends are Georgia Tech grads. My Clemson friends are more free-board types :) He would be a great pickup for Purdue and my first instinct is to say they would be the early leaders, but that much talent is going to attract a lot of attention. Brohm will certainly earn his pay on this one.

Reactions: LonestarBoilerFan
No it wouldn’t. It would be Hunter Johnson’s job.
I'm sure people said the same thing about Gunner Kiel, Clayton Richard, Anthony Morelli, Dayne Crist, etc.. Let's let them compete and decide who the starter should be on the field.
Johnson has thrown 27 D1 passes, mostly in garbage time, behind a top 10 offensive line.

Reactions: Mullah
That would likely explain it... most of my VIP-level friends are Georgia Tech grads. My Clemson friends are more free-board types :) He would be a great pickup for Purdue and my first instinct is to say they would be the early leaders, but that much talent is going to attract a lot of attention. Brohm will certainly earn his pay on this one.
Someone asked how good he was in the national board thread, and a Clemson fan responded that he’s really good, and that if Johnson had been named the starter, he would feel just as good about a CFP run. Pretty high praise.

I'm sure people said the same thing about Gunner Kiel, Clayton Richard, Anthony Morelli, Dayne Crist, etc.. Let's let them compete and decide who the starter should be on the field.
Johnson has thrown 27 D1 passes, mostly in garbage time, behind a top 10 offensive line.

Oh, they will.

And the fans will continue to do what fans do . . . speculate ad nauseum on a forum.

Someone asked how good he was in the national board thread, and a Clemson fan responded that he’s really good, and that if Johnson had been named the starter, he would feel just as good about a CFP run. Pretty high praise.

Every Clemson fan I know here just loved him and really hoped he would stay, but understand his desire to play football. I think Johnson is the real deal, but the Lawrence kid is just unreal and Johnson saw the writing on the wall. I obviously hope he comes to Bloomington, but doubt we're a front runner at the moment. Whoever gets him is going to get a top flight QB after he sits a year.

Reactions: Bill4411
Kirtz only brother, Tyler, currently plays at Ball St.

Kirtz is down to Northwestern and Indiana. Wiltfong also has Kirtz to NU and he has been money, at least when it comes to NU recruits.

Hunter Johnson's brother, Cole Johnson (not Kirtz) was the one who played at NU from 2010-2013. I realize you guys may land him still with Brohm's offense and home being an hour away, but we really like our chances at NU, given Clayton Thorson is done after this year and we have had pretty poor QB recruiting the last few years due to Thorson who started as a true frosh.

Good luck.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT