ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson??

as for scholarships, with the addition of Edwards today, Purdue was back to 85. Although there were rumors of a couple (1-3) additional openings/departures .

if Johnson were to transfer, he would sit out this year with 3 years left. he would be competing against Sindelar in his senior year. My guess is if Sindelar has a great season this year, he'd start as a senior. that would provide Johnson two years to start.

I also suspect if Johnson does commit to Purdue, you will see Plummer and/or Sipe transferring real fast . because they would realize their chances of beating out Johnson would be real slim.

I applaud the guy who predicted Johnson would transfer last Fall. he used logic and speculated with no real inside sources. yet many here dissed him . I've found using logic and a little intelligence is usually pretty accurate. I believe I was the first to predict Edwards would transfer to Purdue and also predict Alstott would transfer based purely on logic. and despite what someone else thinks, Driver will become a hall of famer.

Kirtz is down to Northwestern and Indiana. Wiltfong also has Kirtz to NU and he has been money, at least when it comes to NU recruits.

Hunter Johnson's brother, Cole Johnson (not Kirtz) was the one who played at NU from 2010-2013. I realize you guys may land him still with Brohm's offense and home being an hour away, but we really like our chances at NU, given Clayton Thorson is done after this year and we have had pretty poor QB recruiting the last few years due to Thorson who started as a true frosh.

Good luck.

Not sure where your info comes from, but he hasn't at all eliminated a couple of other programs, Purdue included.

Sorry, as well, but my info doesn't come from a rivals site.

When did you get your info? The Rivals moderator just spoke to the kid after his visit this weekend, and he said directly that he had four schools including Purdue and Duke, but after the NU visit he's down to just NU and IU, whom he will visit this weekend, and then make a decision.

I think you guys still have a decent shot at Johnson, but I'm hoping he goes our way too. Hopefully Kirtz and him are tight.

When did you get your info? The Rivals moderator just spoke to the kid after his visit this weekend, and he said directly that he had four schools including Purdue and Duke, but after the NU visit he's down to just NU and IU, whom he will visit this weekend, and then make a decision.

I think you guys still have a decent shot at Johnson, but I'm hoping he goes our way too. Hopefully Kirtz and him are tight.

I hear what you are saying, but what I am wondering is if the Johnson situation has any impact to it. It may not, but I kind of wonder if he puts the brakes on his commitment a little bit to see where Johnson goes.

I'm sure people said the same thing about Gunner Kiel, Clayton Richard, Anthony Morelli, Dayne Crist, etc.. Let's let them compete and decide who the starter should be on the field.
Johnson has thrown 27 D1 passes, mostly in garbage time, behind a top 10 offensive line.

#1 pocket passer in the ENTIRE country coming out of HS. I’m sorry but Sipe nor the kid from Arizona would beat Johnson out.

Reactions: Purdue11
I hear what you are saying, but what I am wondering is if the Johnson situation has any impact to it. It may not, but I kind of wonder if he puts the brakes on his commitment a little bit to see where Johnson goes.

I can't say that I know. But, Johnson's transfer was already known before the weekend and before he made his statement.

I for one am definitely hoping that the two are close and talk.

I may discounting IU for their chances of landing Kirtz, especially since they're just an hour away from Brownsburg, but we haven't lost a recruit to IU since Nick Mangieri and usually own them as badly on the recruiting front as we do Illinois.

#1 pocket passer in the ENTIRE country coming out of HS. I’m sorry but Sipe nor the kid from Arizona would beat Johnson out.
And where was Drew Brees ranked out of high school? What about Baker Mayfield? Sorry I don’t deal in absolutes.

I can't say that I know. But, Johnson's transfer was already known before the weekend and before he made his statement.

I for one am definitely hoping that the two are close and talk.

I may discounting IU for their chances of landing Kirtz, especially since they're just an hour away from Brownsburg, but we haven't lost a recruit to IU since Nick Mangieri and usually own them as badly on the recruiting front as we do Illinois.

I was trying to find the date on that article and couldn't. If that came out after he knew about Johnson then the Johnson situation probably isn't playing a part in it.

Last edited:
Kirtz is down to Northwestern and Indiana. Wiltfong also has Kirtz to NU and he has been money, at least when it comes to NU recruits.

Hunter Johnson's brother, Cole Johnson (not Kirtz) was the one who played at NU from 2010-2013. I realize you guys may land him still with Brohm's offense and home being an hour away, but we really like our chances at NU, given Clayton Thorson is done after this year and we have had pretty poor QB recruiting the last few years due to Thorson who started as a true frosh.

Good luck.
Started as RS Frosh, not true Frosh

He might very well end up at Purdue, but there are no Clemson site making this claim that any of my Clemson friends are aware of.
Thanks for stopping by to let us know that you (an IU fan) have a Clemson friend or two who neither of which are dialed into the Hunter Johnson transfer sweepstakes. Great use of your time today.

Reactions: pboiler18

Good luck.

The likely reason Kirtz isn’t considering Purdue anymore is a silly one.

Reactions: Purdue11
I haven’t seen it myself, but I was told he mentioned something about not being interested in places where the coach is going to leave.

So clearly other coaching staffs are telling recruits Brohm won’t be there. It’s really all they can tell them since there are so many other reasons why a recruit would commit to Purdue.

There was talk a few months ago about Northwestern’s Fitzpatrick leaving for a pro gig. Who’s to say CJB isn’t at Purdue much longer than Fitz at NU.

Most college coaches don't last more than 3 years or so. Brohm may only be at Purdue a short while but my guess is because he is successful and gets a top flight job. Maybe LSU after they get fed up with Ed O only winning 9 games.

I live in the same community as the Johnson family. Quality sons, both Cole and Hunter. Quality parents as well, dad is a dentist. Cole is currently a dental student in Indy. Have no insight to the rumors, but it would be a big get for Purdue. Brandon Peters, who came in and started for Michigan last year also lives in my area and is in the same class as Hunter. Quality family as well. Both players highly regarded. Peters played for Avon HS which is about 15 minutes south of Brownsburg where Hunter played. The Avon- Brownsburg game was televised on ESPN2 or ESPNU when these two guys were seniors. Avon won. Anxious to see what happens.

My info is about as current as it gets, but a bit more reliable.

Look, you might end up with one or both. Who knows? Be optimistic! you're a fan, and that's part of the fun of being a fan!

But it's not yet a done deal, and Purdue isn't out of it.

I live in the same community as the Johnson family. Quality sons, both Cole and Hunter. Quality parents as well, dad is a dentist. Cole is currently a dental student in Indy. Have no insight to the rumors, but it would be a big get for Purdue. Brandon Peters, who came in and started for Michigan last year also lives in my area and is in the same class as Hunter. Quality family as well. Both players highly regarded. Peters played for Avon HS which is about 15 minutes south of Brownsburg where Hunter played. The Avon- Brownsburg game was televised on ESPN2 or ESPNU when these two guys were seniors. Avon won. Anxious to see what happens.

I believe Peters was a Sr and Johnson a Jr, but you're right, both highly regarded.

Reactions: ChuckJr
I believe Peters was a Sr and Johnson a Jr, but you're right, both highly regarded.
I had heard a rumor years ago that they were in the same school system growing up, and one of them moved so they wouldn’t be going head to head for playing time. No idea if true tho.

Most college coaches don't last more than 3 years or so. Brohm may only be at Purdue a short while but my guess is because he is successful and gets a top flight job. Maybe LSU after they get fed up with Ed O only winning 9 games.

I have my black and gold glasses on, but I think this is precisely why Brohm stays at Purdue. Schools like LSU, OSU, (et al) feeling entitled to win 10+ games a season.

My expectation is he stays as long as he is well compensated.

Reactions: ChuckJr

Okay . . . the little kid in me just started chuckling that this thread turned to discussion of Peters and Johnson.

*sigh*...

There was talk a few months ago about Northwestern’s Fitzpatrick leaving for a pro gig. Who’s to say CJB isn’t at Purdue much longer than Fitz at NU.

It's Fitzgerald, and that is ridonkulous. Brohm himself had to do damage control on the Tennessee flirtation, and it's well known that he has his eye on going back to Louisville.

Fitzgerald bleeds Purple - he is an NU alum, is from the area, and is getting paid well - he just had a $250M practice facility open up. He has never flirted with other schools despite having been in the discussion for openings at Notre Dame and Michigan. If you think that Fitz is going to leave NU for another gig, you are as deluded about him as some appear to be about Kirtz.

My info is about as current as it gets, but a bit more reliable.

Look, you might end up with one or both. Who knows? Be optimistic! you're a fan, and that's part of the fun of being a fan!

But it's not yet a done deal, and Purdue isn't out of it.

If it's before Sunday night, then it's not as current as the Moderator's. It's not a done deal, but Purdue does appear to be out of it.

It's Fitzgerald, and that is ridonkulous. Brohm himself had to do damage control on the Tennessee flirtation, and it's well known that he has his eye on going back to Louisville.

Fitzgerald bleeds Purple - he is an NU alum, is from the area, and is getting paid well - he just had a $250M practice facility open up. He has never flirted with other schools despite having been in the discussion for openings at Notre Dame and Michigan. If you think that Fitz is going to leave NU for another gig, you are as deluded about him as some appear to be about Kirtz.
Brohm never flirted with Tennessee and did he tell you that He wants to go to Louisville?Boy,if only I had the insight you mildcat fans have.

Fitzgerald bleeds Purple - he is an NU alum, is from the area, and is getting paid well - he just had a $250M practice facility open up. He has never flirted with other schools despite having been in the discussion for openings at Notre Dame and Michigan. If you think that Fitzr is going to leave NU for another gig, you are as deluded about him as some appear to be about Kirtz.

The “Brohm won’t be there” shtick that other coaches are using us about the only negative they can use against Purdue even thougj it’s just speculative at best.

The “Brohm won’t be there” shtick that other coaches are using us about the only negative they can use against Purdue even though it’s just speculative at best.

It's a bit more than speculative (copied from another post by gcg on our Board talking about this):

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/jeff-brohm-better-get-now-gets-hot/

Brohm then went into damage control mode after the fact, tacitly confirming that there was reciprocal interest:

Speaking about his involvement in the Vols coaching search for one of the first times, Brohm didn’t get into specifics and simply told the Courier Journal that there was interest from both sides of the deal, and “where there’s smoke, there’s fire.”

http://footballscoop.com/news/purdu...ch-interesting-effect-boilermaker-recruiting/

I don't think this is going to be a negative vs. negative thing.

I think he goes to Purdue if he is enthralled with the idea of playing for Jeff Brohm and/or if he wants to be much closer to home.

I think he's a Cat if the gap between Mick McCall (who has tutored his share of All-Conference and NFL QBs, albeit with a much lower profile than Brohm) and Brohm isn't seen as that wide, and he wants more certainty with the depth chart (Sindelar vs a very wide open situation at NU) and with the coaching situation. I think the intangibles (family ties, his brother's experience, Kirtz if he ends up at NU as I think is very likely) play in NU's favour.

I think it could go either way, but with our purple colored glasses in Evanston, we like our chances, as I'm sure you like yours.

Last edited:
Who’s to say Brohm isnt Purdue’s coach for the remainder of his career (20+ seasons)

Silly argument (if you could even call it that). All you can surmise about a coach's future intentions/ambitions are from looking at his past track record. Pat Fitzgerald has been Northwestern's head coach for over a decade. He's already the second-longest tenured Big Ten head coach. How long has Brohm stayed anywhere? Purdue isn't his alma mater. NU is Fitzgerald's.

This is false (aside from maybe something from a poorly researched blog post). Certainly no mutual interest whatsoever from Fitzgerald. And again, silly argument. Who's to say!

Silly argument (if you could even call it that). All you can surmise about a coach's future intentions/ambitions are from looking at his past track record. Pat Fitzgerald has been Northwestern's head coach for over a decade. He's already the second-longest tenured Big Ten head coach. How long has Brohm stayed anywhere? Purdue isn't his alma mater. NU is Fitzgerald's.

This is false (aside from maybe something from a poorly researched blog post). Certainly no mutual interest whatsoever from Fitzgerald.
Brohms only head coaching gig prior to Purdue was Western Kentucky.Purdue is obviously a step up.Before being the head man at WSU,he did move a lot,like all assistants do.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT