ADVERTISEMENT

How to Watch & Game Thread: #1 Purdue at Northwestern

I get that is the PC type of thing to say, but its bullshit... the game would never have been in question if properly officiated... and Purdue wouldn't have had the end of game meltdown b/c they'd have been up twenty points, and it would have been an entirely different game. Could Purdue have played better? sure... and they could have still won the game if they had, but they shouldn't have needed to play superhuman if they'd been allowed to play normal basketball.
Purdue was lousy, I didn’t like the reffing either, however, I see what I see. Purdue couldn’t hit wide open shots, was careless with the ball etc. These games happen on the road, take the L and move on to the next one. Purdue is 23-3 with a 2 game lead in the Big Ten standings, let’s win 4 out of 5 and move on to the postseason.

Another “rush the floor”. And now get to go to Maryland. All the sudden winning BIG doesn’t look like a lock. Hope team got this performance out of their system. If they wanted the monkey off their back being #1 they accomplished that.

Reactions: Boiler8285
Learn from it and move on! Gotta hit shots simple as that but it’s really hard to run anything when it’s 8 on 5 on someone else’s home court. That was by far the worst home cooking officiated game I’ve seen this year! Awful awful officiating, I was hoping Painter would of got T’ed up to prove a point!

Reactions: Schnelk
Tough to drop this one with Maryland coming up, but if you don't execute......this is what happens when the breaks don't go your way. Really disappointing second half from Purdue.
Let it slip away. Purdue has to be better when teams get physical and the refs let them play. Rutgers, IU and now Northwestern. Zach passed too much. Too many turnovers by 1,2&5 mostly and 3 a little. Players need to do what they can and stay in their lanes a bit more.

Focus was not there it appeared. Want a post and repost when doubled since teams are now playing Zach’s pass out.

I did really like Purdue’s last out of bounds play, but with Boboie trailing Braden instead of on his side he was in position to blow it up.

Reactions: Professor Emeritus
Blaming refs is a losers excuse. Purdue didn’t make any plays or shots. NU made plays and shots in crunch time
Thank you, the last 4 minutes was all on Purdue, had nothing to do with the refs. Get over the loss and move on, I think Purdue wins 4 of their last 5.

Reactions: drewjin
I was talking with a buddy of mine (IU fan) and he suggested that it seems like every so often a game comes along where it seems like they let teams “have their moment” to help get them into the tournament. I don’t know, but that sure is a believable scenario today.

Purdue didn’t do themselves any favors, but the officiating in the second half was game changing. “Physical defense” means fouling because they won’t call them all, but they didn’t call any of them in that 2nd half. You can blame turnovers and missed 3s which I agree don’t help but to say the officiating had no influence on the outcome is just plain wrong.

We just saw how you play ZE and beat us. That’s not even counting the pressure on the guards, who failed AGAIN.
Fouling Zach and not getting called has always been effective. Why Zach deferred I don’t know. Certainly tightened up the Big. Wanted to win it with 2 games to go, but that won’t happen now

Reactions: Schnelk
Thank you, the last 4 minutes was all on Purdue, had nothing to do with the refs. Get over the loss and move on, I think Purdue wins 4 of their last 5.

They are definitely not making the winning plays right now - have to somehow turn that around or 4 out of 5 might be fortunate......certainly capable but the long grind of the season is perhaps taking a toll - mentally more than physically. Losing an eight-point lead down the stretch they way they did could be really costly......maybe it's the jolt they need.....you never know. Championship-level teams shouldn't let that happen.

We shall see.

@ Maryland on TH is a huge game to see how tough this team really is.

They are definitely not making the winning plays right now - have to somehow turn that around or 4 out of 5 might be fortunate......certainly capable but the long grind of the season is perhaps taking a toll - mentally more than physically. Losing an eight-point lead down the stretch they way they did could be really costly......maybe it's the jolt they need.....you never know. Championship-level teams shouldn't let that happen.

We shall see.

@ Maryland on TH is a huge game to see how tough this team really is.
I see Maryland as a likely L, hope I’m wrong.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If Newman could hit an open three we win this.
Seriously going to pick out one of 17 missed threes? Loyer disappearing, Morton ceiling is 5 points, Furst nothing in second half, Jenkins the 6th year scorer nothing. Come on the team earned this one.

• Sad
Can’t believe how many of you whine about the officials.
Purdue had a 8-10pt lead with 4 minutes to play. They missed several wide open shots, turned the ball over, couldn’t execute anything on offense. That’s on the players, not the refs.
Come on, man. Obviously, Purdue didn’t help itself, but to deny that the officials played a role is being purposely obtuse.

Sometimes I feel like you post things just for shock value/just to go against the grain.

Blaming refs is a losers excuse. Purdue didn’t make any plays or shots. NU made plays and shots in crunch time
Had Purdue widened the lead earlier with a bit more focus, the last 4 minutes wouldn’t have played out like it did . When the underdog hangs close with close to the floor rabid fan base ramped up the pressure mounts. Players need to be more of a machine and be solid all game. Didn’t think this group would melt. Could have easily won the three games it loss and so it is close to being really good. Game over and if Purdue gets Maryland it gets back on pretty solid footing

Purdue had a 8-10pt lead with 4 minutes to play. They missed several wide open shots, turned the ball over, couldn’t execute anything on offense. That’s on the players, not the refs.
Even Bardo was pointing out multiple BAD fouls that weren’t called, in addition to the ridiculous 2 points NW was gifted in the first half.

I think the point is that calls made and not made hurt Purdue and maybe don’t find itself in this position. That said Purdue was in a winnable situation and lost it like you said. I see both in play, but only one can the players control

Purdue had an 8 pt lead with under 4…..1
We had guys afraid to shoot and when they did, they missed. Edey not handling the double team well.
This is big boy basketball: it’s gonna be physical and the reds won’t call all the fouls. You have to be physically tough enough to play through it. Maybe our guys aren’t?
Maryland will do the same thing with the physicality.

• Sad
Even Bardo was pointing out multiple BAD fouls that weren’t called, in addition to the ridiculous 2 points NW was gifted in the first half.
The refs won’t call 100% of the fouls, maybe 40%. Of they’re going to call it that way, you either adjust or you don’t and end up losing.
Purdue lost because it couldn’t make shots and didn’t have anyone who could go 1 on1 and get a bucket when needed. .

• Sad
Purdue had an 8 pt lead with under 4…..1
We had guys afraid to shoot and when they did, they missed. Edey not handling the double team well.
This is big boy basketball: it’s gonna be physical and the reds won’t call all the fouls. You have to be physically tough enough to play through it. Maybe our guys aren’t?
Maryland will do the same thing with the physicality.
if this is B1G basketball, we have the wrong team. We need to go get Chris Kramer, Mike Kelley, Aaron Craft, John Harrar and Nojel Eastern to win these 48-46 cage matches.

Everyone’s game plan now is to beat up Zach and Fletcher. Someone else will need to hit some open shots.
Fletcher is scuffling right now, I’m
Confident that he’ll right the ship. I think Purdue loses against Maryland and sweeps the final 4. They could go 3-2, that still wins them the Big Ten, I don’t think IU/NW finish with 5 losses.

Fletcher is scuffling right now, I’m
Confident that he’ll right the ship. I think Purdue loses against Maryland and sweeps the final 4. They could go 3-2, that still wins them the Big Ten, I don’t think IU/NW finish with 5 losses.
If IU beats NW, it may come down to the IU game in Mackey.

I was talking with a buddy of mine (IU fan) and he suggested that it seems like every so often a game comes along where it seems like they let teams “have their moment” to help get them into the tournament. I don’t know, but that sure is a believable scenario today.

Purdue didn’t do themselves any favors, but the officiating in the second half was game changing. “Physical defense” means fouling because they won’t call them all, but they didn’t call any of them in that 2nd half. You can blame turnovers and missed 3s which I agree don’t help but to say the officiating had no influence on the outcome is just plain wrong.
NW was already comfortably in the tourney. Lunardi had them as a 9 seed as of 2/10. If the refs let us play, we should play. Our guards are soft.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT