ADVERTISEMENT

How far in March will satisfy you?

How far?

• I'm always satisfied with regular season success. March is icing.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 2nd weekend bare minimum

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • Elite 8 has to be the floor

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • This is our best chance at a final 4... Or bust...

Votes: 37 53.6%
  • Got to win the Championship...

Votes: 7 10.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Top 4 team all season, top 4 in all the metrics, #1 or #2 overall seed at this point. 2 time national player of the year. I don't know how anything less than a FF could be seen as anything but a disappointment.

I know as PU fans we are always trying to temper our enthusiasm for March, but if not this year, when? By every metric, this is the best team CMP has had. We're top 20 in offense and defense which is the normal formula for a championship.

Am I jumping off a cliff if they don't? Of course not and I'll be right back here next year cheering them on and talking PU hoops. But anything less than a FF will be a disappointment for me.
I still think Painter has had 2 teams that were better than this one.

Unfortunately his best team didn't even get to dance with it's full arsenal thanks to that damn floor and the barn.

And his 2nd best team had a guy hurt in the 2nd round on a play that created a whole new rule for college basketball.

Both those teams were loaded when 100%.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Unfortunately his best team didn't even get to dance with it's full arsenal thanks to that damn floor and the barn.

And his 2nd best team had a guy hurt in the 2nd round on a play that created a whole new rule for college basketball.

Everyone can have their take on which team was/is his best, no problem with that.

Top 4 team all season, top 4 in all the metrics, #1 or #2 overall seed at this point. 2 time national player of the year. I don't know how anything less than a FF could be seen as anything but a disappointment.

I know as PU fans we are always trying to temper our enthusiasm for March, but if not this year, when? By every metric, this is the best team CMP has had. We're top 20 in offense and defense which is the normal formula for a championship.

Am I jumping off a cliff if they don't? Of course not and I'll be right back here next year cheering them on and talking PU hoops. But anything less than a FF will be a disappointment for me.
Exactly, good post

Agree on the 2010 team, but I don’t think the 2018 team was as good as this one.

• Love
Reactions: collegehoopsfan123
Agree on the 2010 team, but I don’t think the 2018 team was as good as this one.
2018 team had already lost 6 games and was ranked 10th going into the tournament with Haas. Unless we have a rerun of last year's team, I'd say this team is better.

2010 team had about the same record before Hummel's injury so in my view that's a tough call.

I've gone back and fourth with CMP for years now. I completely see both sides of the argument. The question though is; are you ok with lots of regular season success and next to no March success? One way to look at it is CMP has taken this program from top 10-20 perennially to top 5... Now when exactly did that exchange happen? Pretty much directly after the elite 8 run... Correct me if I'm wrong, I very well can be here, but it seems post that run CMP has been able to recruit higher rated players more consistently... Which means, imo this program has grown quite a bit since the elite 8 run... So yea, I don't believe firing CMP is the answer right now... However, how long do we go top 5 regular season and by March be completely burned out playing our worst basketball before we all can look at each other and agree a change is necessary? Probably never for some, and again, I can see why, but I fully believe this program is capable of and deserves much more...
"One way to look at it is CMP has taken this program from top 10-20 perennially to top 5"

And that is to be applauded and celebrated. However, when that is achieved without athletic guards (for the most part), it becomes fools gold and becomes exposed in the tourney, by athletic mid-major guards.

2018 team had already lost 6 games and was ranked 10th going into the tournament with Haas. Unless we have a rerun of last year's team, I'd say this team is better.

2010 team had about the same record before Hummel's injury so in my view that's a tough call.
2010 finished 29-6. They lost 3 games in a row early but had won 10 straight and were ranked #3 at the time of Rob’s injury. The other 3 losses included at MSU the first game after losing Rob, Minnesota blowing them out in the BTT, and then their loss to #1 seed and eventual champion Duke. They were different. The way they were playing during that 10 game stretch they would have beat anyone.

I think with Hummel healthy, they probably at least make the Final Four and maybe more.

With the 2018 team, I’m not sure even with Haas that they beat Texas Tech. Maybe, but don’t have near the confidence. (And his elbow fracture happened in the first round).

I don't see it as silly at all... What he meant by "not win a single game" is lose first game in the tourney... There are people who defend the first round exits and don't seem to see the trend in those losses nor have too much of an issue with it... They will point out all the B1G championships... Most of these folks would rather insult and add nothing to the discussion with quick snipes like "silliest post of the week"... Deny reality all you want but it's out there for everyone to see...
Geezus christ folks, get a f"ing clue.

2010 finished 29-6. They lost 3 games in a row early but had won 10 straight and were ranked #3 at the time of Rob’s injury. The other 3 losses included at MSU the first game after losing Rob, Minnesota blowing them out in the BTT, and then their loss to #1 seed and eventual champion Duke. They were different. The way they were playing during that 10 game stretch they would have beat anyone.

I think with Hummel healthy, they probably at least make the Final Four and maybe more.

With the 2018 team, I’m not sure even with Haas that they beat Texas Tech. Maybe, but don’t have near the confidence. (And his elbow fracture happened in the first round).
I'm not sure you can say any Painter led team is a "Final Four" team.
Two years ago, the path was cleared, we had a lottery pick and another AA on the floor and we still choked against an overmatched team.

Reactions: DrEss
Two years ago, the path was cleared, we had a lottery pick and another AA on the floor and we still choked against an overmatched team.
Maybe, but the point was they had all the tools and if healthy that was probably Painter’s best chance up to now.

Even if they beat St. Peter’s a couple years ago, they’d still have to play a UNC team who was much different from when they played them earlier in that year in the regional final. I don’t know that the path was totally cleared.

The clearest path that Purdue failed to take advantage of was with Keady in 2000.

I like Paint alot but that lottery pick needed to score more than 6 points vs a team like that

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
Maybe, but the point was they had all the tools and if healthy that was probably Painter’s best chance up to now.

Even if they beat St. Peter’s a couple years ago, they’d still have to play a UNC team who was much different from when they played them earlier in that year in the regional final. I don’t know that the path was totally cleared.

The clearest path that Purdue failed to take advantage of was with Keady in 2000.
But even when he's had a fully healthy team, he hasn't taken advantage. Sure, injuries to key players are always going to have an impact, but I'm not confident that even with a healthy Hummel or Haas, that Painter gets them past the S16. He's only done so once and that was due to a player playing at a historic level in the tourney. ( it's interesting that Painter's best tourney run came without playing through the low post on offense).

Reactions: titaniumbolt
That team two years ago was extremely flawed. Ivey had moments of stardom sandwiched around periods of immaturity. Sasha struggled to guard a chair. Purdue's 2nd and 3rd best players played the same position and couldn't play together.

2010 had way more talent. Two guys who played in the NBA, a third who was NBA adjacent, and several just good college players.

Still, there should be no reason this team can tear through non conference competition including back to back years of beating three really good teams in three days and not progress far in the tournament.

We are about to see something one way or the other I think.

That team two years ago was extremely flawed. Ivey had moments of stardom sandwiched around periods of immaturity. Sasha struggled to guard a chair. Purdue's 2nd and 3rd best players played the same position and couldn't play together.
This. Sasha was a bit similar to Loyer in that he had a few games where he got hot but defense was a liability and he kind of faded out at the end. That team surprised some people early, but really was a case of November champions. The first crack in the facade was that they got upset by Rutgers as soon as they got ranked #1. They didn’t really win anything of note other than a silver bowl of CheezIts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT