ADVERTISEMENT

Holy crap....Ivey

Isn’t Morton ranked anywhere from 42-45?

He is saying he will fall. That is likely true, not because he isn't a freakin stud, but the AAU format & team full of top 100s trying so hard to get theirs isn't freindly to a player like him and his aau stats......other than the game where he had 14 assists. It may not be fair, but as others shine in the aau, get mine free for all, he will likely fall a bit. And it is not because he signed with Purdue, which you will hear by some fans.

He is saying he will fall. That is likely true, not because he isn't a freakin stud, but the AAU format & team full of top 100s trying so hard to get theirs isn't freindly to a player like him and his aau stats......other than the game where he had 14 assists. It may not be fair, but as others shine in the aau, get mine free for all, he will likely fall a bit. And it is not because he signed with Purdue, which you will hear by some fans.
I see your point there but that seems like a huge drop. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. Painter has proven what he can do with a team full of guys that were outside top 75

Isn’t Morton ranked anywhere from 42-45?
I see your point there but that seems like a huge drop. At the end of the day it doesn’t matter. Painter has proven what he can do with a team full of guys that were outside top 75
As @Boiler Buck said, his play in the recent AAU events will make him drop. That isn't to say it's entirely his fault considering who he plays with, but I do expect him to drop. When looking at his stats through 8 games (which is what the people making the rankings will do), he is averaging around 4 pts, 4 asts, and 4 rebs while shooting < 30% from the field and < 15% from the 3pt line. That will hurt his ranking. At the same time, Ivey is playing very well and will see his ranking take a big jump, imo.

Why do you care. He was rated # 1 or #2 by Matt, and that should be all we care about. I for one have a lot more faith in how our staff rates a player than I do in the people who hand out stars.

I think for the same reason people care about our basketball reputation. I may be oversimplifying, but stars equal respect. Respect gets recruits. Recruits help win titles.

If nothing else, it's a topic of discussion on a discussion forum.

I don't know that Morton will drop as much as people suggest just due to some AAU stats. Most of the evaluators are smart enough to know that the way his EYBL team played did not utilize his best attributes. They've seen enough of him previously to know what he can due when used properly and that's why he's stayed highly ranked for quite some time now. I watched one of his games last weekend in Westfield and they had him playing more of a 3 spot and he rarely got the ball in his hands due to all the one on one play that was going on. If you watch his high school clips you'll see he excels when the ball starts in his hands, there is good ball movement, and he can create and facilitate for others while also taking open shots when they are available.

I think Morton's easily a top 75 guy, and will stay well within that range, but you never know. I'm much more curious to see what they do with Ivey. I think he's top 100, but exactly how high I'm still not sure. Haven't seen enough of him. My guess is that they start him out 100-125 and then continue to evaluate him and consider further rankings boosts later on. We shall see. One thing is for sure, I'm stoked that these two will be suiting up for Purdue!

I don't know that Morton will drop as much as people suggest just due to some AAU stats. Most of the evaluators are smart enough to know that the way his EYBL team played did not utilize his best attributes. They've seen enough of him previously to know what he can due when used properly and that's why he's stayed highly ranked for quite some time now. I watched one of his games last weekend in Westfield and they had him playing more of a 3 spot and he rarely got the ball in his hands due to all the one on one play that was going on. If you watch his high school clips you'll see he excels when the ball starts in his hands, there is good ball movement, and he can create and facilitate for others while also taking open shots when they are available.

I think Morton's easily a top 75 guy, and will stay well within that range, but you never know. I'm much more curious to see what they do with Ivey. I think he's top 100, but exactly how high I'm still not sure. Haven't seen enough of him. My guess is that they start him out 100-125 and then continue to evaluate him and consider further rankings boosts later on. We shall see. One thing is for sure, I'm stoked that these two will be suiting up for Purdue!
His play making ability is not what people are starting to question. He is still elite in that area. His scoring ability is what is starting to be questioned by some, and the reason I believe you will see a bit of a drop. The new rankings won't come out till after the summer, so he has plenty of time to prove that it was just two bad weekends from a scoring perspective.

His play making ability is not what people are starting to question. He is still elite in that area. His scoring ability is what is starting to be questioned by some, and the reason I believe you will see a bit of a drop. The new rankings won't come out till after the summer, so he has plenty of time to prove that it was just two bad weekends from a scoring perspective.
But unless he changes teams, he won't change his role in the scheme of that team.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
This is the reason I expect his ranking to drop.

I think there's a good chance he will drop a little too. But, anyone that watched his EYBL team play would not be questioning his ability to score too much. He almost never touches the ball and when he does he usually looks to pass rather than score. Most of the evaluators that have been following him for several years see that and thus I don't think he'll drop far just based on those few games of poor utilization. But, if they blindly look at stats, then yeah, he'll drop further.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boilermaker24
I think there's a good chance he will drop a little too. But, anyone that watched his EYBL team play would not be questioning his ability to score too much. He almost never touches the ball and when he does he usually looks to pass rather than score. Most of the evaluators that have been following him for several years see that and thus I don't think he'll drop far just based on those few games of poor utilization.
The issue was more that when he did look to score, he wasn't very efficient. He shot 29% (10 for 34) from the field and 13% (2 for 15) from 3. He did shoot 89% (24 for 27) from the FT line though.

You are correct, he won't drop based on these last two weekends as rankings aren't updated until August. If he has similar shooting performances in the 3rd weekend and at Peach Jam, that will cause him to fall.

If I were Morton believe I would be looking for another team but I'm not so we shall see.

Ivey is taking over...…….
p405113014-4.jpg

Perhaps, but at this point it doeant really matter, he is already commited to Purdue.
Don't know how many tournaments are left this summer but even if I were already committed some where how in the heck is it any fun playing with a team where you hardly touch the ball?

As Painter said, the difference between someone ranked 40-80 (or whatever) isn't really that much. It's a matter if they fit your system, etc.

Obviously raw talent can still dominate, but you look at the NCAA Tourney - the 1 and done programs have far underperformed recently.

Ivey and Morton are both around top 75 players. Morton will slip because of his lack of production this spring, but for anyone who's followed him over the last several years, you know he's a complete stud. Purdue's going to be loaded in the backcourt in future years. Nojel, Morton, Ivey, Hunter, Newman, IT, Sasha.

Ivey and Morton are both around top 75 players. Morton will slip because of his lack of production this spring, but for anyone who's followed him over the last several years, you know he's a complete stud. Purdue's going to be loaded in the backcourt in future years. Nojel, Morton, Ivey, Hunter, Newman, IT, Sasha.
A lot can happen in 19/20

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT