ADVERTISEMENT

Haze can learn from BG game..

since1980

True Freshman
Nov 16, 2012
If I'm Hazell and I want to try to turn things around as quickly as possible, the Bowling Green game could be a valuable tool to do so.

1) We learned Blough is capable of spreading the ball around and hitting guys when they are still open. He has a quick release and accurate enough to give us a chance.
2) We learned that the Bowling Green's offense gives them the chance to play with anybody regardless of which team has more talent. They will score points regardless of who they play. I think our defense is better than BG's, especially when not on the field so much.
3) We learned that our offensive line is INCAPABLE of creating running lanes, even against a very weak BG team. Hazell needs to stop the idea we can line up and win in the trenches. It's not going to happen the rest of the year...maybe next year, but this line isn't going to do it this year.
4) After Domo Young and Yancey went down, we still had receivers capable of catching passes and whom Blough was comfortable throwing to (since he's been the 2nd stringer up to this point). We learned Anthrop is regaining some of his cutting ability. Marshall, Burgess, Posey...we have enough guys who can catch balls.

So...if I'm Hazell, I immediately realize we can't win by depending on our line to establish the run. We need to first establish the pass like BG does and then run to keep teams honest.
I would immediately have Shoop start installing the BG passing offense as much as possible, 5 wide every time, forcing teams like MSU to defend the entire field and not stack the box against our weak line. We can even space out or RB's because both have shown they can catch the ball very well. Blough also has decent enough scrambling ability (much like Matt Johnson), that if he needs to, he can make teams pay with his legs if they bring a blitz. Dink and dunk down the field if we have to...hand off when the time is right.

If anything, what spreading the field like BG does is forces teams to not stack the box and make us 1-dimensional. We have good enough running backs who can catch and run that it would be to our advantage to put defenses in positions where they have to react to what we are doing.

If we can't line up and beat BG in the trenches, we certainly won't against BIG 10 teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT