ADVERTISEMENT

Quick Grambling Scout

boilerzz

All-American
Jul 5, 2002
West Chester, OH
www.marchfirstbrewing.com
6'1 Tra-Micheael Moton is the engine. He shoots 38.5% from three and can get to the rim. He was just 3-12 from the floor tonight

6'1 Kintavious Dozier is the SG. He shoots 34% from three. He didn't do much tonight.

6'7 Jourdan Smith is the SF. Shoots just 28.9% from three.

6'5 Antwan Burnett is the PF. He's a 34.8% 3P shooter

6'11 Jonathan Aku is the C but only plays about 23 minutes per game. He's not a shooter.

Key bench players:
6'2 Mikale Stevenson 32.7% from three
6'8 Jalen Johnson. Not a shooter
6'6 Terrence Lewis. Best shooter on the team at 43.9% but on just 57 attempts

Strengths:
69th in steal % and 59th in defensive TO %. We know what we need to do there
31st in FTA/FGA (they get to the line a lot)

Weaknesses:
305th in 2P %
341st in offensive TO %
334th in 3PA/FGA (they don't shoot a lot of threes)
351st in A/FGM (they do a lot of iso)

They are 316th at tempo so they like to slow it down.

They played a handful of P6 teams and woof:

Colorado - lost 95-63
Iowa St - lost 92-37
WSU - lost 83-65
Florida - lost 96-57

They started 2-10 against the #4 non-conference schedule in the country and have gone 19-4 since but that is largely against the SWAC, which is the worst conference in NCAA.

6'1 Tra-Micheael Moton is the engine. He shoots 38.5% from three and can get to the rim. He was just 3-12 from the floor tonight

6'1 Kintavious Dozier is the SG. He shoots 34% from three. He didn't do much tonight.

6'11 Jonathan Aku is the C but only plays about 23 minutes per game. He's not a shooter.

Key bench players:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
305th in 2P %
341st in offensive TO %

Colorado - lost 95-63
Iowa St - lost 92-37
WSU - lost 83-65
Florida - lost 96-57

They started 2-10 against the #4 non-conference schedule in the country and have gone 19-4 since but that is largely against the SWAC, which is the worst conference in NCAA.
Cofer had 19 off the bench. Unusual for him.

Reactions: tjreese
Wonder how much Aku plays because he is their only player with much size, but he is a poor shooter which allows Edey to play to his strengths. Wouldn’t be surprised if they go small.

Reactions: pboiler18
Listening to halftime during the Colorado Boise game - hopefully our team listened to it as well. Basically saying this is a team like FDU that gives Purdue trouble etc. Everyone is laughing and saying we are going to lose….time to come out and put the doubters and demons to rest.

Wonder how much Aku plays because he is their only player with much size, but he is a poor shooter which allows Edey to play to his strengths. Wouldn’t be surprised if they go small.
Oh boy, I've seen the "low major goes small on Purdue" movie before...

I still feel like this team is different. We'll see on Friday night.

Yep. Came in averaging 9 minutes and 2.8 points.

wow, just casually watching them I didn't see them do much until they started driving the ball. course, I don't know who they play but the numbers are pulled against their competition field. @boilerzz did you happen to notice what percent of 3pt att or just number of shots taken per game behind the arc? If they are legit behind the arc, then this serves as a good example of how one game can fool you a bit.

Key bench players:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
305th in 2P %
341st in offensive TO %

Colorado - lost 95-63
Iowa St - lost 92-37
WSU - lost 83-65
Florida - lost 96-57

Missed your last line first time. Are you saying they played 12 games outside the conference and those 12 games of which you only listed 4 comprised the #4 conference schedule?

They won in OT. I wonder if playing an extra 5 minutes will affect their legs on Friday night?

They won in OT. I wonder if playing an extra 5 minutes will affect their legs on Friday night?
I doubt it is in play. This is about Purdue. They are not going to do anything that Purdue has not seen. If Braden has a burst and Purdue plays okay it is a double digit win. They have some shot makers that are a concern, but Purdue is better in more phases and just needs to play like it IMO

Key bench players:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
305th in 2P %
341st in offensive TO %

Colorado - lost 95-63
Iowa St - lost 92-37
WSU - lost 83-65
Florida - lost 96-57

real quick it shows about 28% (535/1900) of the shots attempted were behind he arc. That is probably closer to 25% since some 2 pt Fg attempts resulted in fouls. Let's say 25% behind the arc and 75% of the shots taken were inside the arc. Of those 25% of 3pt attempts two players accounted for 230/535 or 47% of the shots taken behind the arc and they were roughly equal in attempts. #5 Moton, Tra'Michael was at 37% and #00 Dozier, Kintavious was at 33%. I have no idea how their shots come about to begin to have an idea on how we might see Purdue play them

These numbers come closer to my casual watch and my concern for packing the lane. Out of curiosity I may add the third most attempt shooter behind the arc and then break down the percent of offense each of those three have outside and inside, but going to bed for now

Oh boy, I've seen the "low major goes small on Purdue" movie before...

I still feel like this team is different. We'll see on Friday night.
One big difference is that Purdue is a much better shooting team this year. Purdue is also more mature (with Smith/Loyer no longer being freshmen) and more athletic (with Jones) in the backcourt.

New year. New team.

Key bench players:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:
305th in 2P %
341st in offensive TO %

Colorado - lost 95-63
Iowa St - lost 92-37
WSU - lost 83-65
Florida - lost 96-57

So the way they went to the hoop last night, Edey needs to stay upright and not leave his feet or his is gonna get a lot of early fouls. Patience is needed

With about 5 minutes left in the game
Sweden Flag Sport GIF by xponentialdesign

Reactions: BoilerMaker P
One big difference is that Purdue is a much better shooting team this year. Purdue is also more mature (with Smith/Loyer no longer being freshmen) and more athletic (with Jones) in the backcourt.

New year. New team.
In looking back at last season, there were warning signs that Purdue was suspect as the regular season concluded. First, the home game loss to Indiana. Purdue was never in the game and it is a BIG game no matter what your record is. Second, the road loss at Maryland. Its not that Purdue lost but it was a blow out. They never were in the game from the beginning.

I think the youth of the team was being exposed last year as the season wore on. We are more mature and experienced now ranging from our guards and now more players are a threat beyond the arc.

In looking back at last season, there were warning signs that Purdue was suspect as the regular season concluded. First, the home game loss to Indiana. Purdue was never in the game and it is a BIG game no matter what your record is. Second, the road loss at Maryland. Its not that Purdue lost but it was a blow out. They never were in the game from the beginning.

I think the youth of the team was being exposed last year as the season wore on. We are more mature and experienced now ranging from our guards and now more players are a threat beyond the arc.

Purdue was winning that Maryland game in the 2nd half...

Spot on, TMA62. Youth and lack of experience had everything to do with our failures last year.

Anyone remember Coach Tobin Anderson's quote after the FDU game?
"It's hard for freshmen to play against two fifth-year seniors," Anderson said. "[Their] two freshman guards are going to be terrific. But I think having two fifth-year seniors ... we had the advantage there."

Far and away, that is the primary reason we lost last year. Youth at the guard position. Put me in the camp with those who believe that this year is different.

So the way they went to the hoop last night, Edey needs to stay upright and not leave his feet or his is gonna get a lot of early fouls. Patience is needed
Nothing new to Zach. Purdue should be better against the dribble than Montana ST. It is not a strength of Purdue, but Purdue has been successful against better teams driving the ball at the guard spot.

Yep. They also played Dayton.
I don't follow a lot of teams, but in the cursory view of their schedule I would never have thought they had the fourth toughest non conference schedule with the teams listed. I guess the gap between Purdue and others is just that large

I agree with you. However, only down 3 at half to Maryland . And it’s gotta be tough for a road team when the first foul called on the home team isn’t until under 5 min left in first half lol. REGARDLESS, we are better team than last year so let’s get it

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Spot on, TMA62. Youth and lack of experience had everything to do with our failures last year.

Anyone remember Coach Tobin Anderson's quote after the FDU game?
"It's hard for freshmen to play against two fifth-year seniors," Anderson said. "[Their] two freshman guards are going to be terrific. But I think having two fifth-year seniors ... we had the advantage there."

Far and away, that is the primary reason we lost last year. Youth at the guard position. Put me in the camp with those who believe that this year is different.

Well that and shooting 5/26 from 3 😂

Reactions: BoilerAndy
Good breakdown by Joe Jackson on Grambling State. Think he has a YouTube video has well.

Defense: contain penetration and keep Zach from fouling. Force them to take 3s and long 2.

Offense: Push in transition and don’t turn down open shots. Make them pay for doubling the post.

Leave Edey to roam the middle, everyone else plays tight man-to-man and I believe G will have difficulty scoring the ball.
They may and wouldn't surprise me if they don't desire more 3pt shots. The two players that shoot 47% of the shots behind the arc would shoot 8 between them normally. Assuming they make 3 which is a hair high, then 9 points come behind the arc for the two that shoot half the shots. The remaining players that get minutes put up about 189 shots out of that 535 or contribute 35% of the remaining shots and hit 38% of them . This is 189/33 or about 6 shots per game @38% or about another 9 points. So 14 three balls is typical for them and 18 points behind the arc as a result of their schedule. One player 6'6" G takes about 2 a game and makes 1 inside the other players data and so he may want to take a bit more than usual

They average 68 points and so they typically have 50 pts inside the arc. If the guards can do a good job in containing the dribble, it would be very tough to beat Purdue. I'm more interested in good D inside the lane and not getting hurt with the mid range stopping short of Zach. They don't have the bigs of Northwestern, nor the perimeter shooters of Northwestern...they average about 10 assist/game and so you can see a lot of individual shot makers and less team play which then makes you wonder how they score behind the arc with such few assists...maybe just off of penetration and kick outs for a lot of their shots behind the arc?

Good breakdown by Joe Jackson on Grambling State. Think he has a YouTube video has well.

Defense: contain penetration and keep Zach from fouling. Force them to take 3s and long 2.

Offense: Push in transition and don’t turn down open shots. Make them pay for doubling the post.

Interesting...my gut in a cursory view thought the same. I'll look at the video for specifics. Ha Ha just having looked at his first comments he would have saved me a lot of typing.

Interesting...my gut in a cursory view thought the same. I'll look at the video for specifics. Ha Ha just having looked at his first comments he would have saved me a lot of typing.
If you’re on Twitter, Joe is a great follow. Super knowledgeable on basketball.

Reactions: tjreese
Point taken. They collapsed down the stretch.

Yeah, they went from eight up with a little over 16 minutes left to down 17 with just over 6 minutes left.....a 29-4 run where Purdue had no answers on either end of the floor.

It was one of the few games last year where the Boilers lost when Braden Smith had a nice shooting game.

Just the proverbial Big Ten road game buzzsaw.....though slightly delayed for maximum shock and pain.

Yeah, they went from eight up with a little over 16 minutes left to down 17 with just over 6 minutes left.....a 29-4 run where Purdue had no answers on either end of the floor.

It was one of the few games last year where the Boilers lost when Braden Smith had a nice shooting game.

Just the proverbial Big Ten road game buzzsaw.....though slightly delayed for maximum shock and pain.
I seem to recall Hakim Hart having a good game then. Not sure how well he did at Nova this year

Not that I am close to a POW-5 coach, but I said these exact words:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT