ADVERTISEMENT

Hammer and Rails

Dec 7, 2018
Just posted an article saying EB is a “poor man’s Robbie Hummel”. I hope he has made great strides and has a fantastic year, but that seems like quite a stretch. Thoughts?

Yeah. Hard to imagine having another 6'8" player at the 4 that can rebound on both ends, play smart, and shoot the three.
Travis - he was 34% from 3 (9/26) not what most would consider a serviceable 3 pt shooter.

Just posted an article saying EB is a “poor man’s Robbie Hummel”. I hope he has made great strides and has a fantastic year, but that seems like quite a stretch. Thoughts?

I avoid H&R like the plague, so I'll take you at your word. This is yet another reason to not pay attention to H&R.

Comparing EB to RH? Goodness. The game of each player couldn't be more different.

Maybe poor man's Robbie with fractured vertebra wearing a back brace

Last edited:
Reactions: plcosby
Travis that's a pretty poor comparison. Only thing they have similar is they are white and 6'8.

Evan is more of a scrapper and hustle guy. No where close to overall skill like Hummel
He's also made the following comparisons before

Donnie Hale - Hummel 2.0
DJ Byrd - Kramer with a jump shot

I think Bryson Scott was also compared to Kramer from him but not 100%

Reactions: pierceroe13
Next article on H&R:

Matty Haarms is a skinny man's Isaac Haas

Why? Because they're both 7'-+ and white, but Haarms is skinnier than Haas.

Reactions: DAG10
When you go on other podcasts and talk about Purdue football, you sound like a ****in idiot, you know that?

Brian and I are hardly best friends (never know what 2020 holds though), and I wasn’t nearly as hurt about your genatalia comment, but If you’re going to go on opposing contests and play their best friend, could you have like 1-2 original thoughts that don’t sound like you’re taking a GBI insight and acting like you just thought it up at the grocery store?

If someone is going to masquerade as whatever it is you... are, something like “a lot of people say X about Karlaftis, but I think he could be better than that, perhaps accumulating 8+ sacks,” would be better than listening to a cast member of Scooby-Doo parrot Brian.
I’m not Travis..... cc @KatsTMill this was for you.

Yeah. Hard to imagine having another 6'8" player at the 4 that can rebound on both ends, play smart, and shoot the three.

When you go on other podcasts and talk about Purdue football, you sound like a ****in idiot, you know that?

Brian and I are hardly best friends (never know what 2020 holds though), and I wasn’t nearly as hurt about your genatalia comment, but If you’re going to go on opposing contests and play their best friend, could you have like 1-2 original thoughts that don’t sound like you’re taking a GBI insight and acting like you just thought it up at the grocery store?

If someone is going to masquerade as whatever it is you... are, something like “a lot of people say X about Karlaftis, but I think he could be better than that, perhaps accumulating 8+ sacks,” would be better than listening to a cast member of Scooby-Doo parrot Brian.

I would say Evan is a gritty physical team player that rebounds very well for his size. He can hit open 3s he can get to the basket maybe not fastest at getting there but he can. He’s gonna play hard every possession he tough has always been since his HS days I no this bcuz my son and him played against each my son sophomore year in the sectional round of the state playoffs. He was injured last season b4 that he was playing well. He also played out of position too now he’ll play more of his natural position and I believe he gonna help this team win games. He not Hummel and I don’t no what Hummel game was however he will be great for this team and what he brings. He won’t be Grady 2.0 but he’ll be Evan doing what he does to help Purdue win games this season.

If I were to make an honest comparison to a former Boilermaker, it would have been to Brian Cardinal. he was a scrappy guy and transformed that scrappiness into a nice NBA career. And like Grady, Eric seems to be a glue guy. others may have more talent, but he tries harder and makes those around him better. .

just curious .. do hammer and rails posters rag on GBI as much as GBI posters rag on hammer and rails?

Reactions: bbru7800
A good comparison for EB when we are talking about former Boilers would have to be Ryan Berning who was a 6'9 forward for Purdue in the late 80's. In Berning's senior season he grabbed 170 total rebounds, shot 36% from 3 (15/41), had 10 steals, 12 blocks, and averaged just a shade under 9 ppg.

Anyone want to confirm that feeling?

Not sure, but that's a great question I'm sure the world would love to know.

We'll let you keep score, Bigs.

this is right up there with...

the answer is 163 licks. I tried it three times as a math /stats experiment to get the mean, median and mode. the sacrifices I made for stats.

and yes, I also tried the lays potato chip dare tha t nobody could eat just one. I ate just one lays potato chip and then opened a bag of ruffles and ate the entire bag.

Sorry but I don’t get the hate on here regarding hammer&rails. What gives here?

I don't understand why people always want to ascribe "hate" when there are open, candid remarks about an entity/individual.

Regarding H&R, from my perspective part of it is content, part of it is behavior.

From what I've witnessed from afar, it's not a group I would choose to support. In fact, quite the opposite. As examples, I only need to point to the recent thread re: Lebron James, as well as prior conversations about ESPN's foot-in-mouth problems.

Their business model would be a perfect case study on what NOT to do to build a loyal (and diverse) audience.

Word of Mouth (WOM) is HUGE for any business. In this day and age of social media, open forums (like this), and other outlets, when you set about alienating (p*ssing off?) people in public, their voice will be heard (now more than ever before). The bad P.R. seen in this thread is a prime example.

It's a shame. I would expect they're very likable people.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
the answer is 163 licks. I tried it three times as a math /stats experiment to get the mean, median and mode. the sacrifices I made for stats.

and yes, I also tried the lays potato chip dare tha t nobody could eat just one. I ate just one lays potato chip and then opened a bag of ruffles and ate the entire bag.
Wrong again, Bigs: LINK

Leave it to Purdue Engineering students to provide answers.

If I were to make an honest comparison to a former Boilermaker, it would have been to Brian Cardinal. he was a scrappy guy and transformed that scrappiness into a nice NBA career. And like Grady, Eric seems to be a glue guy. others may have more talent, but he tries harder and makes those around him better. .
Whom is this “Eric” yuh speak of?

Reactions: Boiler-4-life

Boudreaux actually had the 3rd highest pts per 40 minutes, behind Carsen and tre.

He also had the 2nd highest rebounds per 40, behind tre.

I don’t think it’s a good comparison either, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a big jump in stats from him this year.

Wrong again, Bigs: LINK

Leave it to Purdue Engineering students to provide answers.

before posting stuff, to prove me wrong, you should read what you post !

Purdue and Michigan used linking machines to generate their numbers, not a real tongue. I wonder what happened to them after that experiment ? Obviously there was a market for licking machines. right?

When using a human, 20 Purdue students were 252 licks which all stats majors would agree is a very small sample of people, thus it's findings would be thrown out in any tootsie roll pop myth busters fact finding gathering.

and Swarthmore junior high was 144 licks. I said 163 which is easily within one standard deviation of real people licking tootsie roll pops.

no machine can duplicate my tongue.

I would say the difference is GBI does a lot more personal interviews, and hammer and rails has a more speculative , outside opinionated viewpoint. GBI provides a more localized insider approach, while hammer and rails provides a more national objective viewpoint.

Case in point. Austin just committed to the football program. I would expect GBI to have a personal interview with Austin on their site within 24 hours. and GBI probably knew of the commitment 1-2 months ago but didn't reveal it. On the other hand, I would suspect hammer and rails to offer speculation what this means to the football program, our future defense, and how it will effect future recruiting this year.

there are plusses and minuses to both approaches. Brian has been lied to by recruits and legitimate sources before. So what do you do when the recruit or source lies to you? You can quote them. But I doubt it's on paper, and they can deny it. or they could say later, that's' what I said , but not what I meant. or that was true then, but I changed my mind.

it's basically what you crave most - insider info which could be wrong, or speculation which is basically somebody's opinion? Example: I think it's kind of dumb to recruit two 4 star QBs when we need help on our o-line. I also think it's also dumb to recruit a dual QB whe n we run a pro set. I also think it's kind of dumb to get a commit from a guy who just decommitted from Toledo rather than maybe a scholarship later like we did with those two linebackers. those are opinions, and what I would suspect from visiting hammer and rails.

Much like banking a scholarship because next year has a lot more talent. There are no facts involved. it's just opinions. It's sort of like one presents facts, and one uses those facts and speculates from them . Do you like to speculate and think? or do you just like facts and stats? one is not better or wrong. it's just a different niche of people.

Boudreaux actually had the 3rd highest pts per 40 minutes, behind Carsen and tre.

He also had the 2nd highest rebounds per 40, behind tre.

I don’t think it’s a good comparison either, but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect a big jump in stats from him this year.

A jump in stats likely will depend on his hopeful big improvement on D......that is why he covered the bench last year.....with his injury it was the only thing he could cover.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT