ADVERTISEMENT

Got to root for the Hoosiers Saturday

If only IU didn't have to play Wisconsin Tuesday night, it would be a sure win for them. You give Archie Miller a week to prepare for anyone, they will win. And, they will make more free throws than the other team attempts.

Oh wait, I'm confusing him with some other coach.

In all seriousness though, record aside they have enough talent on that roster to beat MSU. Almost all of them had a Purdue offer including D Davis is he was all the way in Colorado. While I enjoy watching them suffer after snubbing the Boilers, I'd like to see them get their shit together one last time this season
Why? Honestly, is there a reason to cheer for IU?

To hell with IU.

fQPlkv.gif

Indiana isnt our main rival anymore. Michigan State is nowadays. Iu has fallen off so much that it doesnt make sense to consider them our rival. It is msu who Purdue will continue to battle for B1G regular season and tournament championships year in and year out, not a team who is about to miss their third straight postseason and in danger of finishing dead last in the conference despite outrecruiting everyone.

The only reason anyone still considers iu a bigger rival is that their fans come over here every offseason conparing their coach and program to Purdues and claiming this year will finally be the year they can beat Purdue.

I will, without question, be rooting for Indiana to take down our rivals Saturday. Any day is a good day to see msu lose.

Indiana isnt our main rival anymore. Michigan State is nowadays. Iu has fallen off so much that it doesnt make sense to consider them our rival. It is msu who Purdue will continue to battle for B1G regular season and tournament championships year in and year out, not a team who is about to miss their third straight postseason and in danger of finishing dead last in the conference despite outrecruiting everyone.

The only reason anyone still considers iu a bigger rival is that their fans come over here every offseason conparing their coach and program to Purdues and claiming this year will finally be the year they can beat Purdue.

I will, without question, be rooting for Indiana to take down our rivals Saturday. Any day is a good day to see msu lose.
Over the last 10 years has our success been closer to MSU's or IU's?

Over the last 10 years has our success been closer to MSU's or IU's?

Dont know or care. All I know is since the 2014 class has hit campus, Purdue has been up there with MSU in the B1G as far as finishing high in the standings.

The past 3 seasons, Purdue has either won the regular season title or played in the B1G Tournament championship. Izzo and MSU have done the same 2 of the past 3 years.

Michigan and Michigan State are the programs Purdue is battling with these days. Indiana is more along the lines of Iowa/Illinois/etc as they are set to miss their third straight B1G title. I dont look at them as rivals, I look at the Michigan schools as the rivals for B1G championships now.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Nick Ward bailed them out last time with terrible ft shooting. It will be hard for them to win without Ward in

That seems to imply that Michigan State is better off without him because he can't shoot free throws. I don't agree with that logic. They won yesterday but they are not as strong a team without Ward (and Josh Langford).

Reactions: Boilermaker24
Indiana isnt our main rival anymore.

Sorry, don't agree with this. Indiana will always be our "main rival". Them not winning enough games doesn't change that. When Duke or Carolina have the occasional down year (when Coach K fakes an injury), they are still each other's #1 rival and biggest game of the year even if they're both not at the top of the standings. Same with Kansas and Kansas State. Kentucky/Florida (at least in conference play).

That said, it helps Purdue if IU wins. Go Hoosiers.

I will probably root for IU in most of the remaining games. I really don't root against them as much as some of you, but I am a Purdue Alumni but Ohio native.

I don't think if IU goes on a 4 game win streak they make the tourney unless the win the conference which I cant see how that happens. So to me at this point they are harmless and any victory will help us.

But for sure I will root for them to beat MSU.

Reactions: Bethboilerfan
Dont know or care. All I know is since the 2014 class has hit campus, Purdue has been up there with MSU in the B1G as far as finishing high in the standings.

The past 3 seasons, Purdue has either won the regular season title or played in the B1G Tournament championship. Izzo and MSU have done the same 2 of the past 3 years.

Michigan and Michigan State are the programs Purdue is battling with these days. Indiana is more along the lines of Iowa/Illinois/etc as they are set to miss their third straight B1G title. I dont look at them as rivals, I look at the Michigan schools as the rivals for B1G championships now.
Which programs seem closer to the same success since the 08'-09' season (10 years)?

Program A:

4 S16
2 B1G Championships
1 B1G Tournament Championship

Program B:

1 National Champion Runner Up
3 Final 4s
4 Elite 8s
6 S16s
4 B1G Championships
3 B1G Tournament Championships

Program C:

3 S16s
2 B1G Championships

Pretty obvious that Program A (Purdue), and Program C (IU) have had more similar success than Program B (MSU).

Reactions: silerbr2
i will not root for iu to win a tiddly winks match much less a basketball game. just say no

Reactions: Schnelk
I just don't see Indiana beating MSU a second time, so I'm not going to worry about it one way or the other.

Indiana might scrap it up and look inspired for 35 or 38 minutes, but even if they do they'll find a way to screw it up in the end.

Indiana isnt our main rival anymore.

Sorry, don't agree with this. Indiana will always be our "main rival". Them not winning enough games doesn't change that. When Duke or Carolina have the occasional down year (when Coach K fakes an injury), they are still each other's #1 rival and biggest game of the year even if they're both not at the top of the standings. Same with Kansas and Kansas State. Kentucky/Florida (at least in conference play).

That said, it helps Purdue if IU wins. Go Hoosiers.
No, it's bad karma to root for IU. All Purdue needs to do is take care of business and everything else will fall into place.

Reactions: Schnelk
I will probably root for IU in most of the remaining games. I really don't root against them as much as some of you, but I am a Purdue Alumni but Ohio native.

I don't think if IU goes on a 4 game win streak they make the tourney unless the win the conference which I cant see how that happens. So to me at this point they are harmless and any victory will help us.

But for sure I will root for them to beat MSU.
IU draws well, thus they'll get the nod over several better teams. It's about the cash in the NCAA's, and IU fans have been known to pawn their cars and take out a second mortgage on that 1964 Bluerbird double wide to follow their team.

Reactions: tjreese
Which programs seem closer to the same success since the 08'-09' season (10 years)?

Program A:

4 S16
2 B1G Championships
1 B1G Tournament Championship

Program B:

1 National Champion Runner Up
3 Final 4s
4 Elite 8s
6 S16s
4 B1G Championships
3 B1G Tournament Championships

Program C:

3 S16s
2 B1G Championships

Pretty obvious that Program A (Purdue), and Program C (IU) have had more similar success than Program B (MSU).

Jesus H Christ you have to be Courtsense2.

Just one with higher expectations than you.

You have higher expectations, with no solutions on how to get there. You just expect a snap of the fingers. You're like the stereotype of a millennial. Crying about what you want, but oblivious to everything around you.

You have higher expectations, with no solutions on how to get there. You just expect a snap of the fingers. You're like the stereotype of a millennial. Crying about what you want, but oblivious to everything around you.
Are you kidding me? I've outlined many times what I think we need to do to get there. It all starts with recruiting. We need to increase the talent on our roster. We need to start landing elite level recruits.

I've stated many times how I believe we should accomplish this, but I will do so again as you obviously missed or overlooked it.

- Fire Lutz and Gary and replace with assistants known for their recruiting prowess. This will require us to pay our assistants a competitive rate $300k+/ assistant. Brantley can stay as he pulls in the "foundation recruits" consistently (100-150 ranked).

- Change the perceived Purdue brand. Get rid of the defense lives here and blue collar brand. This is really on the marketing team. We have been a very high powered fast playing offense recently, and we need to do a better job marketing it.

-CMP needs to enter the gray area. IM NOT SUGGESTING HE CHEATS. He needs to stop the whole "if you work hard enough you can come here and compete for playing time early" pitch. Everyone knows they will have to work hard. He needs to be telling these elite players that they will come in and be the centerpiece of the offense immediately. If a guy like Keion Brooks sees himself as a 2 in college Painter should be selling him on playing the 2.

Really?

How high are my expectations?

I'm guessing you don't know (or, worse, care) how arrogant you sound, when you make that claim.

Specifically ... how does the Purdue program benefit, by you thinking you have "higher expectations"?
If you dont expect to be a yearly NC contender, and arent disappointed when we fall short of that goal, then you have lower expectations than I do.

You didn't answer any of my questions. I think your lame response was to address my expectations, which you didn't.

Again... How high are my expectations?
I'm not sure specifically, but since you seem to be fine with the results under the current leadership, I would assume not super high.

I'm not sure specifically, but since you seem to be fine with the results under the current leadership, I would assume not super high.

No.... you wrote,

Just one with higher expectations than you.

If you're not sure, why make such a ridiculous claim?

And, what makes you think I'm "fine with the results under the current leadership"? Is that because I don't run all over the forum, trashing the program, the coaches, and specific players?

No.... you wrote,

If you're not sure, why make such a ridiculous claim?

And, what makes you think I'm "fine with the results under the current leadership"? Is that because I don't run all over the forum, trashing the program, the coaches, and specific players?
Yes, it's because I've never seen you make a single negative comment about the program or Painter. I've seen you defend the results many times though.

Yes, it's because I've never seen you make a single negative comment about the program or Painter. I've seen you defend the results many times though.

Now you're lying.

I don't "defend" the program. I try to talk rationally about it, yes.

I also don't see a point in trashing the program, the coaches, and the players. That's what you do.

How does your trashing the program HELP the program?

Now you're lying.

I don't "defend" the program. I try to talk rationally about it, yes.

I also don't see a point in trashing the program, the coaches, and the players. That's what you do.

How does your trashing the program HELP the program?
How am I lying? Pointing out coaches/players weaknesses is not trashing them.

No, it's bad karma to root for IU. All Purdue needs to do is take care of business and everything else will fall into place.

But iu is not on Purdues level. Its lowering your expectations to consider them an equal rival.

Purdues equal rivals are MSU and Michigan.

Purdue has won more B1G games than both of them the past 3 seasons before this one plus this season and projects to contend for another B1G title with them next year.

Iu hasnt made the tournament in 3 years and may finish in last place 2 years in a row both this season and next.

I get up for Michigan and MSU because those games mean something. The iu games are just another illinois/iowa/rutgers level game where theyre getting up to try and pull off an upset while we are trying to grind out a B1G title.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT