ADVERTISEMENT

Gicarri Harris

If I recall correctly, (and I may not), he struggled with the defense of Northwestern and Rutgers.
But I'm also trying to think of what games over the last 2 years, we needed a bucket in the final 10 seconds to tie or win? I don't recall many.
And yes, everyone struggled with UConn, although didn't Bama put a good scare into them in the tourney?

I've grown to like Smith. Wasn't a fan of his recruitment but he proved me wrong. It will be really interesting to see him play without Edey.
Wanted to dig into this - not to get into an argument - just out of genuine curiosity.

He didn't actually have a great tourney but then again, he had Edey and others to lean on. I think statistically, NCState was his worst game.

I do agree - he will be a different guard this year because the offense will flow through various people and sometimes, he will be the guy to get a bucket.

At IU - 14% shooting
At Michigan - 21%
Wisconsin - 25%
Iowa - 25%
Tenn (in Maui) - 22%

I just pulled shooting percentage - not looking at any other metrics.

Rutgers - 50% and 70%
Northwestern - 41% & 42% - OT loss he had 6 TOs which was the most all season

Wanted to dig into this - not to get into an argument - just out of genuine curiosity.

He didn't actually have a great tourney but then again, he had Edey and others to lean on. I think statistically, NCState was his worst game.

I do agree - he will be a different guard this year because the offense will flow through various people and sometimes, he will be the guy to get a bucket.

At IU - 14% shooting
At Michigan - 21%
Wisconsin - 25%
Iowa - 25%
Tenn (in Maui) - 22%

I just pulled shooting percentage - not looking at any other metrics.

Rutgers - 50% and 70%
Northwestern - 41% & 42% - OT loss he had 6 TOs which was the most all season
Good analysis, and like I said, my recollection is foggy at best. Would be interesting to see his TO numbers in the games where he also struggled with his shot.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more turnovers this year because he's going to have to try and help get guys shots as opposed to just dumping it into Edey or throwing a lob.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Good analysis, and like I said, my recollection is foggy at best. Would be interesting to see his TO numbers in the games where he also struggled with his shot.
I wouldn't be surprised to see more turnovers this year because he's going to have to try and help get guys shots as opposed to just dumping it into Edey or throwing a lob.
9 games with 4 or more TOs.

4 TOs - 5 games
5 TOs - 3 games
6 TOs - 1 game

Averaged almost 13 points during those 9 games.

I can't paste my table in here but NC State 3pts and MSU 5pts in the B1G.

OAD recruits asking far more than $1M. Next years overall number one recruit is asking for $3-$4.5M. I guarantee he won’t be worth that much to the school.
Who are we talking about? Dybansta?

Jersey and merch sales - you could easily cover the cost of that bill. Not sure at South Carolina but Kentucky or Alabama - for sure.

what hole in the lineup would Painter need to fill next year to make serious run at a NC? Is it that 6'7 wing scorer who can get you the tough bucket on a clear out in crunch time?
Is it a 6'4 ball handling guard, Ivey type, where you can give him the ball and tell him to find a way to get a score?
I like our team the way it is heading into the 2026 season, assuming everyone returns
and develops the way I think they will. Purdue is in 2025 Sebastain Williams-Adams
final 4 school choices along with Auburn, Oklahoma State, and Vanderbilt. Rivals lists
him as a Small Forward so there might be a 6'7'' wing scorer you are referring to.
I think Gicarri Harris will be our 6'4'' ball handling guard by 2026 if not sooner.
C.J. Cox could also fill that role although only 6'3'' but he's a fearless, effective shooter
in the mold of Carsen Edwards. Then, there is always the portal if we need to add a key
piece (Lance Jones).

Reactions: Do Dah Day
OAD recruits asking far more than $1M. Next years overall number one recruit is asking for $3-$4.5M. I guarantee he won’t be worth that much to the school.
"worth" is all relative.
Worth is determined by as much as someone is willing to pay. It's subjective.
If I were a top recruit, I would definitely be taking advantage of this free agent market at getting as much as possible.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
Yes, Dybansta. Purdue will never pay that much for a top recruit. No reason to.
How do you know Purdue would never pay that much? When NIL became prominent a couple of years ago, you probably said Purdue would never pay $1M for a player.
But we did, and it got us a Final Four.
So yeh, there is a reason to.

I like our team the way it is heading into the 2026 season, assuming everyone returns
and develops the way I think they will. Purdue is in 2025 Sebastain Williams-Adams
final 4 school choices along with Auburn, Oklahoma State, and Vanderbilt. Rivals lists
him as a Small Forward so there might be a 6'7'' wing scorer you are referring to.
I think Gicarri Harris will be our 6'4'' ball handling guard by 2026 if not sooner.
C.J. Cox could also fill that role although only 6'3'' but he's a fearless, effective shooter
in the mold of Carsen Edwards. Then, there is always the portal if we need to add a key
piece (Lance Jones).
Totally agree. Painter is building a team with skilled bigs and some big scoring guards. I think Jacobson will be Matt Haarms but with a better shot, a starting backcourt of Harris and Cox could be really good. Colvin or Heide as a wing/shooter option. If Painter can find that 6'7 ball handling wing, that would be solid.

"worth" is all relative.
Worth is determined by as much as someone is willing to pay. It's subjective.
If I were a top recruit, I would definitely be taking advantage of this free agent market at getting as much as possible.
Sorry I guess should have phrased it as the return won’t be worth that much

How do you know Purdue would never pay that much? When NIL became prominent a couple of years ago, you probably said Purdue would never pay $1M for a player.
But we did, and it got us a Final Four.
So yeh, there is a reason to.
We won’t ever pay that much for a first time player….as long as paint is head coach. And not sure we would pay that much for a transfer or a returning player, unless it’s another dominant player like Zach. But then again, I don’t think we recruit players that have that type of mindset.

But yeah we could, especially with inflation these days 😂

Yes, Dybansta. Purdue will never pay that much for a top recruit. No reason to.
If we had the money would we? If paint really liked a player and it was a perfect fit and we had a donor with super deep pockets willing to pay it, why wouldn’t we? The reason would be to win?

“worth it” as someone said has two values, based on market value if others are willing to pay it or return on investment. I approach my employees with the latter. Some may argue it is overpaying but if an employee is making me a crap load of money I can’t afford to let them walk. It was rumored the final four brought us $19m in revenue, not sure how that was figured but I’d say Edey was worth way more than that!

What would be interesting is if they did some of this NIL as performance based (e.g. we give you an extra $1m if we go to FF). I think we recruit the right kind of players who want to win while being very competitive.

We won’t ever pay that much for a first time player….as long as paint is head coach. And not sure we would pay that much for a transfer or a returning player, unless it’s another dominant player like Zach. But then again, I don’t think we recruit players that have that type of mindset.

But yeah we could, especially with inflation these days 😂
Never say never (or ever). This new free agency market is constantly evolving and players are for sale to the highest bidder. I don't think Painter likes it, but I think he knows he has to embrace and utilize it.

Or less because he's passing to the guy most open versus force feeding the post despite multiple defenders at times trying to stop the pass because they can't stop the guy catching it once he has it.

Never say never (or ever). This new free agency market is constantly evolving and players are for sale to the highest bidder. I don't think Painter likes it, but I think he knows he has to embrace and utilize it.
Painter has said the new landscape in basketball has helped him eliminate players I knows won’t work in his system. I highly doubt we pay out $1mil to a recruit.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Sure and if the player doesn’t? What if they don’t make the tournament at all?
That's the risk. No professional athlete, which is what these guys are now that they're getting paid, is going to sign a contract with their money being contingent on achieving some level of success. Sure, there could be incentives for achievement, but everyone wants that guaranteed $, regardless of outcome.

Painter has said the new landscape in basketball has helped him eliminate players I knows won’t work in his system. I highly doubt we pay out $1mil to a recruit.
Maybe, maybe not.
How would it work if you have some mega donor willing to pay a recruit $X amount outside of the NIL with Painter's blessing?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT