ADVERTISEMENT

Early thoughts on most improved player from last year ? and best freshman?

I'd be happy to see either Will or DJ carve out a productive role. Agree that Will is likely being overlooked by many because of the hype the DJ generated on the U18 USAB team, particularly on the defensive end. One of those two seems likely to play meaningful minutes and as someone else posted, against bigger lineups such as IU's, it wouldn't be surprising to see both play if someone like Ballo is playing 25 to 30 minutes for the opponent.

Cox seems like as solid of a call as any as an impact freshman.
Do we think Ballo is gonna be able to go 30 minutes a game? I am not sure his conditioning will be that good but I might be wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️.

Do we think Ballo is gonna be able to go 30 minutes a game? I am not sure his conditioning will be that good but I might be wrong 🤷🏼‍♂️.
No. Him and Reneau need to also stay outta foul trouble…maybe they go the edey route and not foul and just be straight up…doubtful but maybe

Averaged 26 mpg last year and 28 the year before. Has played 30 or more minutes fairly often and 28 minutes or more a bunch. Doesn’t seem like a reach to say that he might play 30 against Purdue.

Reactions: POTFHBTFU
I'd be happy to see either Will or DJ carve out a productive role. Agree that Will is likely being overlooked by many because of the hype the DJ generated on the U18 USAB team, particularly on the defensive end. One of those two seems likely to play meaningful minutes and as someone else posted, against bigger lineups such as IU's, it wouldn't be surprising to see both play if someone like Ballo is playing 25 to 30 minutes for the opponent.

Cox seems like as solid of a call as any as an impact freshman.

I'll say Smith as the most improved. He's got a lot to prove without Edey being around and is being considered the early favorite to be B1G POY. That's enough of a step for MIP to me.

As far as freshmen.. that's a tough one because it's hard to say what kind of opportunity the freshmen will have. I don't think Benter really ever sees the floor. I don't see Burgess seeing the floor much. Cox or Harris could get some run just because there isn't another point guard on the roster. But I'm going to say Jacobsen. I think he's starting at some point down the road this coming season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT