ADVERTISEMENT

Gavitt Games

Chi-Boiler

All-American
May 8, 2010
I got completely confused because I thought Indinia vs UConn was part of this event but it's not.

The B1G took Monday 2-0, pretty easily.
The Big East took Tuesday 3-0. Providence destroyed Wisconsin, Marquette snuck out of Illinois, and I didn't watch any of the Creighton win.
Today is Georgetown at Rutgers. Should be a win for the B1G.
Friday gets 2 games. Maryland at Villanova should be a good game but both have stumbled early already. Nova should be favored by a handful or so. Also Butler at Michigan State. Should be a win for Sparty, but Butler has started pretty decent against bad competition.

Reactions: tjreese
Iowa looked like typical Iowa. Can score, but can they stop anybody? Kalkbrenner was in a lot of foul trouble and that hurt Creighton. Fran only had a couple meltdowns, pretty calm for him.

• Haha
Reactions: 4IUSox2 and tjreese
Iowa looked like typical Iowa. Can score, but can they stop anybody? Kalkbrenner was in a lot of foul trouble and that hurt Creighton. Fran only had a couple meltdowns, pretty calm for him.
If you like tall, gangly white guys, that was your game.

Reactions: Hausta01
I think that MSU looked a little better against Duke than they did in their opener. I thought that Hall looked as good as I recall seeing him play. At this point, I am back to thinking that they’ll be Purdue’s top competition for the conference championship.

Reactions: indyogb
MSU v Butler will be interesting because it might be a revenge game for Pierre Brooks. As much as I want the Big to do well, I’ll be cheering for Butler.

Reactions: Monk1014 and Roeder
It does help when you hit more than one 3 in a game 😂
I will say this. I have watched Hoggard in parts of two games this season and so far, Smith looks like a much more effective point guard. I realize that he is in a slump and that a lot can change, but I am not buying the argument that the MSU backcourt is vastly superior to the Purdue backcourt. Walker is great, but the others haven’t done that much thus far to impress.

Last edited:
I will say this. I have watched Hoggard in parts of two games this season and so far, Smith looks like a much more effective point guard. I realize that he is in a slump and that a lot can change, but I am not buying the argument that the MSU backcourt is vastly superior to the Purdue backcourt. Walker is great, but the others having done that much thus far to impress.
AJ has look uninterested in playing basketball this year as well as most of last year. Izzo should have said thanks for your service and let him leave last year.

I will say this. I have watched Hoggard in parts of two games this season and so far, Smith looks like a much more effective point guard. I realize that he is in a slump and that a lot can change, but I am not buying the argument that the MSU backcourt is vastly superior to the Purdue backcourt. Walker is great, but the others haven’t done that much thus far to impress.
Yeah, not yet at least.

I think that MSU looked a little better against Duke than they did in their opener. I thought that Hall looked as good as I recall seeing him play. At this point, I am back to thinking that they’ll be Purdue’s top competition for the conference championship.
Despite their last couple of seasons, I still expect MSU will round into form by the end of the season. Even after their disappointing season last year (by their standards), they were still the only (?) Big Ten team to make it to the Sweet 16.

I cannot recall a win that Iowa has had in the entire Fran McCaffrey era that made me think "wow thats next level stuff! They could be a real contender this season for the BIG/NCAA titles." Even when Garza was doing his thing, I never felt that Iowa has ever been a really threat to do anything significant. Even when they won the BIG tourney I knew they would flame out in the real tournament.

Despite their last couple of seasons, I still expect MSU will round into form by the end of the season. Even after their disappointing season last year (by their standards), they were still the only (?) Big Ten team to make it to the Sweet 16.

And had a really good chance to win that game against Kansas State, probably should have in many's opinions. Admittedly, they haven't been as consistent the last few years (after winning or sharing three straight regular season titles and four of the last nine BTT's), but if they make the tournament, they are almost always a very tough out. Wouldn't expect anything less this year, although there might be a rift with Hoggard as some have suggested.

Reactions: indyogb
Georgetown coach said Rutgers fans pretty out of control. He did praise Rutgers for the win. A lot of obscenities from the Rutgers fans. Is this the way Big10 games are these days?

• Sad
Reactions: Boiler Buck
Maryland is like this too I think. And IU because there student section is full of kids from Jersey and Maryland.
I remember when an IU fan suggested that on this board as a reason for their fans misbehaving. Then another IU fan came to this board claiming Purdue fans were racists for repeating the claim. The funny thing is, the entire discussion was initiated by IU fans chanting racial slurs during a game, broadcasted nationally.

Georgetown coach said Rutgers fans pretty out of control. He did praise Rutgers for the win. A lot of obscenities from the Rutgers fans. Is this the way Big10 games are these days?
Rutgers dislikes Georgetown's Coach Ed Cooley because of two things. First, he was the one who tampered with Cam Spencer back in July, which led to his transfer. Second, Cooley was at Providence when Rutgers was in the Big East, and no love was lost. He was as big of a d*ck back then as he is now. Cooley might be the most hated coach in the Big East. Also, in the post-game press conference, Cooley became upset when the G-Town beat reporters were the only ones asking questions. The Rutgers beat reporters refused to ask him anything.

Reactions: Dreambig74
Rutgers dislikes Georgetown's Coach Ed Cooley because of two things. First, he was the one who tampered with Cam Spencer back in July, which led to his transfer. Second, Cooley was at Providence when Rutgers was in the Big East, and no love was lost. He was as big of a d*ck back then as he is now. Cooley might be the most hated coach in the Big East. Also, in the post-game press conference, Cooley became upset when the G-Town beat reporters were the only ones asking questions. The Rutgers beat reporters refused to ask him anything.
Genuine question, why is Cooley a d*ck and the most hated coach in the big east? I thought he was a highly respected coach (I know Painter has a lot of respect for him). I know there is the whole thing about him leaving Providence for Gtown this past offseason, but what else has he done?

Genuine question, why is Cooley a d*ck and the most hated coach in the big east? I thought he was a highly respected coach (I know Painter has a lot of respect for him). I know there is the whole thing about him leaving Providence for Gtown this past offseason, but what else has he done?
He acts as if he's the smartest person in the room. Cooley throws around a lot of backhand compliments. And he was known to tamper with players from other teams when it wasn't legal. Since the NIL, Cooley has taken it to another level. Cooley felt entitled when coaching Providence because it was the center of the Big East. Most Big East leadership came from Providence, so he got favorable treatment. Also, he compared himself to John Thompson (Georgetown) and felt he was better than Big John as a coach and recruiter. He rubs people the wrong way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT