ADVERTISEMENT

For those that wanted a big change...

First...this isn't a bash anyone post and it's JUST MY OPINION..but...How much longer will you all give this coaching staff, beginning with the HC...who's the one responsible FOR EVERY THING? One more, two more, or longer to right the ship? Blaming the DC, or the O line coach, or the backer's coach is providing an easy scapegoat(s) for some on here, but it's Brohm who ultimately is responsible for every one of those players and/or staff members. And Brohm is the one who has to agree on each player that comes to West Laffy and he's the one that hired staff. So to you and others, how much longer until he begins to be legitimately questioned?

If he's having to look at JUCO's, it means that he's failed to sign players capable of competing at this level, or that they're having issues understanding what it takes, and that he's simply hoping JUCO's can come in ready to play. But JUCO is one hell of a lot different than B10/Big Boy football, and they're a short term fix for a long term problem. If he finds one or two JUCO's that can understand the schemes and play immediately, that's great but it's still a stop gap measure. Every college coach should do one thing from day one...and that's to recruit OVER those already signed.

I know it takes a while to develop a program, and I know some of you believe the cupboard was totally bare...but it wasn't. Skimpy..yes/empty no. And yes, there were injuries, but what teams didn't have them.

I love what I saw with Bell and AOC this year....and with Big K. Gives hope for next year. And I think offensively, Purdue should be better next year IF the offensive line gets better, bigger, and stronger. There can't be another year where QB's are getting hammered every play. With the defense and special teams, not so much and you win with those. Give me a defense that can hold a 10 point lead, and we win almost every game.

Again, not bashing anyone. Just asking opinions. Personally, I love the intensity of Holt and would love to see what he can do with a roster of UPPER HALF B10 level talent. He's been dealt a dying hand with what has been given him...again, JMHO. And I'm not bashing any players because they're honestly doing the best they can do.

Ok the coaches are accountable for the roster. You don’t get to note that there were only two linebackers in the 18 class like there is this other group making those decisions.

If you take two or cant sell a good enough player and end up with less than you need that’s on you as a DC.

Against IU.. the DL got five sacks and as soon as holt went away from his 3-0-8 defense they stalled James then hurt him.

Where were the linebackers?

Also it’s 2018 not 1988 v Michigan. A lot of teams got quick hitting passes out against our back seven that came out so quick that chase young wouldn’t have gotten home.

The DL needs two things cause coach Johnson is actually producing

1. Watts needs to get healthy and have a good offseason

2. Johnson needs to add 5 lbs and explosiveness this offseason

OR

We need Neal back

OR

We need Faucheux to pan out

If we were that close in the LB group or secondary I’d be overjoyed

You asked about 2018 RS freshmen linebackers - I simply pointed out that there were two, and one played(and not poorly). How about you tell me - what the hell is it that you want me to agree to? If it's that Purdue has no good linebackers, not agreeing to that. If it's that D-line play does NOT impact LB play, not agreeing to that. If it's that Purdue has had enough developed depth to have had a top notch defense this or last year, not agreeing to that. If Holt should be replaced, nope again. If you just want to argue, go ahead - I'll just let you do it on your own.

Ok the coaches are accountable for the roster. You don’t get to note that there were only two linebackers in the 18 class like there is this other group making those decisions.

If you take two or cant sell a good enough player and end up with less than you need that’s on you as a DC.

Against IU.. the DL got five sacks and as soon as holt went away from his 3-0-8 defense they stalled James then hurt him.

Where were the linebackers?

Also it’s 2018 not 1988 v Michigan. A lot of teams got quick hitting passes out against our back seven that came out so quick that chase young wouldn’t have gotten home.

The DL needs two things cause coach Johnson is actually producing

1. Watts needs to get healthy and have a good offseason

2. Johnson needs to add 5 lbs and explosiveness this offseason

OR

We need Neal back

OR

We need Faucheux to pan out

If we were that close in the LB group or secondary I’d be overjoyed
did Faucheux get any PT this year?

First...this isn't a bash anyone post and it's JUST MY OPINION..but...How much longer will you all give this coaching staff, beginning with the HC...who's the one responsible FOR EVERY THING? One more, two more, or longer to right the ship? Blaming the DC, or the O line coach, or the backer's coach is providing an easy scapegoat(s) for some on here, but it's Brohm who ultimately is responsible for every one of those players and/or staff members. And Brohm is the one who has to agree on each player that comes to West Laffy and he's the one that hired staff. So to you and others, how much longer until he begins to be legitimately questioned?

If he's having to look at JUCO's, it means that he's failed to sign players capable of competing at this level, or that they're having issues understanding what it takes, and that he's simply hoping JUCO's can come in ready to play. But JUCO is one hell of a lot different than B10/Big Boy football, and they're a short term fix for a long term problem. If he finds one or two JUCO's that can understand the schemes and play immediately, that's great but it's still a stop gap measure. Every college coach should do one thing from day one...and that's to recruit OVER those already signed.

I know it takes a while to develop a program, and I know some of you believe the cupboard was totally bare...but it wasn't. Skimpy..yes/empty no. And yes, there were injuries, but what teams didn't have them.

I love what I saw with Bell and AOC this year....and with Big K. Gives hope for next year. And I think offensively, Purdue should be better next year IF the offensive line gets better, bigger, and stronger. There can't be another year where QB's are getting hammered every play. With the defense and special teams, not so much and you win with those. Give me a defense that can hold a 10 point lead, and we win almost every game.

Again, not bashing anyone. Just asking opinions. Personally, I love the intensity of Holt and would love to see what he can do with a roster of UPPER HALF B10 level talent. He's been dealt a dying hand with what has been given him...again, JMHO. And I'm not bashing any players because they're honestly doing the best they can do.

The vast majority of this team is still underclassmen, with little to no depth in guys who've been in the program for 4 and 5 years. You know, the guys who should be contributing heavily ESPECIALLY on the lines. You've compared Purdue to Minnesota in the past. Look at the upper class, developed depth(again, especially on the lines) that Minnesota had coming into this season. The dirth of depth in the current junior and senior classes is exactly why the need to consider some jucos to fill spot(s) - despite your view the cupboard at Purdue was more barren than almost any other P5 program, if not any other. ESPECIALLY in the critical O and D lines.

And yes, every team has some injuries but if you think that any other P5 program dealt with the number of injuries (and to key personnel) that Purdue had this year you're flat crazy.

You asked about 2018 RS freshmen linebackers - I simply pointed out that there were two, and one played(and not poorly). How about you tell me - what the hell is it that you want me to agree to? If it's that Purdue has no good linebackers, not agreeing to that. If it's that D-line play does NOT impact LB play, not agreeing to that. If it's that Purdue has had enough developed depth to have had a top notch defense this or last year, not agreeing to that. If Holt should be replaced, nope again. If you just want to argue, go ahead - I'll just let you do it on your own.

It was my reply to the posts I was seeing that said “who was better than Ben Holt .. (we didn’t have anyone).”

Why.. why didn’t we have anyone? I understood last year because the first full recruiting class was true freshman. This year, not so. Excusable on the lines with redshirt freshman. That takes a full year longer. For the rest, no...

Brian Brohm got Jack Plummer ready to play QB. QB!

Why can’t holt approach the example Brian Brohm sets?

The vast majority of this team is still underclassmen, with little to no depth in guys who've been in the program for 4 and 5 years. You know, the guys who should be contributing heavily ESPECIALLY on the lines. You've compared Purdue to Minnesota in the past. Look at the upper class, developed depth(again, especially on the lines) that Minnesota had coming into this season. The dirth of depth in the current junior and senior classes is exactly why the need to consider some jucos to fill spot(s) - despite your view the cupboard at Purdue was more barren than almost any other P5 program, if not any other. ESPECIALLY in the critical O and D lines.

And yes, every team has some injuries but if you think that any other P5 program dealt with the number of injuries (and to key personnel) that Purdue had this year you're flat crazy.
So, what's your tolerance level for next year? And how long do you give this HC and staff?

So, what's your tolerance level for next year? And how long do you give this HC and staff?

Realistically I'd expect 6+ regular season wins in 2020 with another jump in 2021. Got a pretty tough non-conference schedule next year. If another tsunami of injuries happen next year Purdue will be impacted but not to the same level as this year.

I'd give this HC/staff a minimum of 5 years, given the hole from which they're having to work and the big uptick in recruiting that's been occurring.

It was my reply to the posts I was seeing that said “who was better than Ben Holt .. (we didn’t have anyone).”

Why.. why didn’t we have anyone? I understood last year because the first full recruiting class was true freshman. This year, not so. Excusable on the lines with redshirt freshman. That takes a full year longer. For the rest, no...

Brian Brohm got Jack Plummer ready to play QB. QB!

Why can’t holt approach the example Brian Brohm sets?

Okay, so where did I say that Ben Holt(or any LB for that matter) was great this year? I will say that he was not as terrible as some on here want to claim. Again, he and the other linebackers were impacted by D-line play, whether you want to believe it or not. Had Holt spent the year playing alongside Bailey, Ben's play would've looked better as well.

Reactions: Yellowstone1004
Okay, so where did I say that Ben Holt(or any LB for that matter) was great this year? I will say that he was not as terrible as some on here want to claim. Again, he and the other linebackers were impacted by D-line play, whether you want to believe it or not. Had Holt spent the year playing alongside Bailey, Ben's play would've looked better as well.

I just explained to you .. bucket game.. probably closest opposition not in a downpour since vandy.. DL.. 5 sacks, linebackers?

Also it’s 2019. We were hit on a LOT of quick hitters where the dL can’t possibly get Home. Go back and watch the back seven v Minnesota for example.

I’m not saying Ben Holt didn’t give a great effort. I’m saying that when someone says “well who did we have that was better,” I can ask them “why was no one better?” No?

I just explained to you .. bucket game.. probably closest opposition not in a downpour since vandy.. DL.. 5 sacks, linebackers?

Also it’s 2019. We were hit on a LOT of quick hitters where the dL can’t possibly get Home. Go back and watch the back seven v Minnesota for example.

I’m not saying Ben Holt didn’t give a great effort. I’m saying that when someone says “well who did we have that was better,” I can ask them “why was no one better?” No?

DL had 4 sacks(Barnes 2.5, Karlaftis 1.5). Mackey(DB) had the other one. LB'S Holt(10), Alexander(10) and Fakasiieki(6) led team in tackles along with Barnes(DE). DT's weren't real effective, especially against run much of game.

Once more, other than pointing out(in a reply to someone other than you) that the linebackers weren't helped by ineffective DT play, I didn't say anything about Holt(and didn't specifically mention him). So no reason at all for you to have used my post to continue your arguments.

Now, guess you can go back to arguing with yourself.

Realistically I'd expect 6+ regular season wins in 2020 with another jump in 2021. Got a pretty tough non-conference schedule next year. If another tsunami of injuries happen next year Purdue will be impacted but not to the same level as this year.

I'd give this HC/staff a minimum of 5 years, given the hole from which they're having to work and the big uptick in recruiting that's been occurring.
So, in his what...fourth year...you're okay with the same 6 wins he got in his first two?

So, in his what...fourth year...you're okay with the same 6 wins he got in his first two?

6+ regular season and another increase the following season. He inherited a dumpster fire and reached bowls more quickly than any reasonable person would've anticipated. The trajectory for the rebuild will continue pointing upward with improved depth and further strong recruiting. I get that an iu fan like yourself doesn't know shit about how low Purdue was(or at least will acknowledge it), and what it takes to rebuild a program but this is a process, and one that takes time to do right. Despite your claims in other threads Brohm wasn't starting with near what coaches had at Minnesota or iu.

Coaches are responsible for the players. I don’t want to hear that shit ever.

You get 85 scholarships and this staff will be bringing in their 4th class, 3 of which are all them. If Thienemann or smiley are out of position next year, I’m gonna know why Marvin grant or Cory Trice isn’t at SS.. if Allen isn’t on the field and isn’t hurt, that’s a roster development issue
OK big guy. I’ll be sure to never state anything you don’t like, ever. Yes they are bring in the fourth class. And two of those classes are significant. And they are just now getting to an experience level and physical development level that they can start being a
Positive impact on the game, next year. Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa etc. aren’t playing red shirt freshmen and true freshmen all over the field including the lines.
Oh crap did I just do it again?

6+ regular season and another increase the following season. He inherited a dumpster fire and reached bowls more quickly than any reasonable person would've anticipated. The trajectory for the rebuild will continue pointing upward with improved depth and further strong recruiting. I get that an iu fan like yourself doesn't know shit about how low Purdue was(or at least will acknowledge it), and what it takes to rebuild a program but this is a process, and one that takes time to do right. Despite your claims in other threads Brohm wasn't starting with near what coaches had at Minnesota or iu.
Dont bother. Twin has been told the same thing for well over a year. He wanted Les (3-9) Miles instead of Brohm and nothing short of perfection will change his mind.

Reactions: jindy
Dont bother. Twin has been told the same thing for well over a year. He wanted Les (3-9) Miles instead of Brohm and nothing short of perfection will change his mind.

When's 'ol Les's bowl game this year? I know he inherited more depth(especially on the lines) than Brohm had his first year so surely Kansas is bowling, right?

OK big guy. I’ll be sure to never state anything you don’t like, ever. Yes they are bring in the fourth class. And two of those classes are significant. And they are just now getting to an experience level and physical development level that they can start being a
Positive impact on the game, next year. Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa etc. aren’t playing red shirt freshmen and true freshmen all over the field including the lines.
Oh crap did I just do it again?

I’m not talking about the staff as a whole.

How come Brian Brohm can get the results he gets and Nick Holt, who has been here the same amount of time .. cannot

I’m not talking about the staff as a whole.

How come Brian Brohm can get the results he gets and Nick Holt, who has been here the same amount of time .. cannot
Does Nick Holt have his big brother calling the plays?

TD, I have some really bad news for you: It doesn't matter how much time you, I, or anyone else "give this coaching staff..."

When it comes to how much time Brohm is given, your opinion just doesn't matter. Nor does mine. As much as you hate it, Jeff Brohm is the head coach, and he will continue to be the head coach as long as his employer has confidence in him and approves of his work.

Dude, I appreciate so many of your posts, but this topic (Brohm) has sent you over-the-edge, batsh*t crazy. The positives that are occurring have been well documented for you, yet you continue to come here to just crap all over him. We get it. You hate him.

You say you're not bashing anyone, but you are. Your posts reek of "bashing" any posters with differing points of view. Your posts incessantly bash Brohm.

Nothing is going to be done to Brohm at this time. Get used to that idea.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Does Nick Holt have his big brother calling the plays?

Wait wait ... I’m strictly talking about developing players. If Brian Brohm was Nick Holt, jeff would still be calling the plays.. and O’Connell would have capitalized (or not) on his talent the same way Jaylan Alexander did and we would have easily been a much uglier 2-10

I’m still waiting to hear what doesn’t work like what
This isn’t how it works:

“Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players”

Name calling then deflection. 0-2.

Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players and have them on the field doing things as redshirt freshmen.

Does the whole paragraph look a little different?

This isn’t how it works:

“Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players”

Tag - your turn to deal with this. Kinda like trying to build a pile of water, isn't it?

Nick Holt is a defensive coordinator. The expectation for that level is that when It comes to your position, you should be able to recruit good players and have them on the field doing things as redshirt freshmen.

Does the whole paragraph look a little different?
No. Still wrong.

Personally I think Holt is going to have one more year. If we are healthy and things are still as bad as they were, then some tough conversations will be had.

Personally, I hope it was a fluke and things turnaround for Holt. We'd have a setback as a new DC gets things turned around and we will just be better off sooner if Holt can fix things.

Just my two cents.

I know I shouldn't even respond to this. But don't you realize that Holt is a much bigger problem than Brohm. We saw next to zero improvement in the D through the year, especially the secondary. Meanwhile, we saw the offense become effective. But yet you love Holt?? The logic escapes me.

If you look at Holt's coaching history, you'll see a pattern of him whipping the D in "shape" the first season, much like a drill sergeant. Then year 2 gets bad, and year 3 gets even worse. The same thing happened with him at Washington, then WKU, then Purdue. So it baffles me why people think he's a great DC when his historical results show the opposite.

Where in the sam hell do you get that I'm an IU fan? Are you really that obtuse?

I know I shouldn't even respond to this. But don't you realize that Holt is a much bigger problem than Brohm. We saw next to zero improvement in the D through the year, especially the secondary. Meanwhile, we saw the offense become effective. But yet you love Holt?? The logic escapes me.

If you look at Holt's coaching history, you'll see a pattern of him whipping the D in "shape" the first season, much like a drill sergeant. Then year 2 gets bad, and year 3 gets even worse. The same thing happened with him at Washington, then WKU, then Purdue. So it baffles me why people think he's a great DC when his historical results show the opposite.
First, you have a reading comprenhension issue...you can't get the facts. No where have I said I love Holt...I said I love his intensity. Secondly, Holt has to play the hand dealt to him....players signed by the HEAD COACH. Third.....and you're in love with Brohm, yet belittle Holt because he has few viable players to deal with because that's what Brohm gave him. There's a reason one guy has the HC title after his name and makes an asinine salary while the other guy doesn't have that title and makes a pittance compared to the HC who makes all the calls on who wears black and gold.

If you're going to be fair, and you're going to crow about Brohm this and that next season and the "great" class he has coming in, then don't you have to give Holt the same due when he's handed studs from his HC.

And....who hired Holt? Was it Tiller? How bout Danny Boy? The Haze....nope, guess again.

Where in the sam hell do you get that I'm an IU fan? Are you really that obtuse?

I've been reading these Rivals boards for quite a while. You spent the majority of your time in the past on the iu board, right? From reading both boards over time it seems that you've spent more time here of late as you became disenchanted with(primarily) iu basketball and reduced your time there, not because you suddenly became a Purdue fan. Are you not a big Bobby knight fan who has expressed your unhappiness with his removal(and their subsequent hires) over there? Regarding Purdue, you pretty much have nothing but negative comments about the football program and especially Coach Brohm, right? Even when some of your claims about Purdue football are refuted by factual evidence you won't bother to acknowledge that. Your OD picture has been pretty much the same for years now, correct? By the way, that picture appears to be from Fast Lane Classics - is that right?

Funny thing is I've seen some of your posts in other threads and believe that we'd actually get along okay in many ways. It's just the inane and irrational crap, particularly about the football program that show me your true colors.

First, you have a reading comprenhension issue...you can't get the facts. No where have I said I love Holt...I said I love his intensity. Secondly, Holt has to play the hand dealt to him....players signed by the HEAD COACH. Third.....and you're in love with Brohm, yet belittle Holt because he has few viable players to deal with because that's what Brohm gave him. There's a reason one guy has the HC title after his name and makes an asinine salary while the other guy doesn't have that title and makes a pittance compared to the HC who makes all the calls on who wears black and gold.

If you're going to be fair, and you're going to crow about Brohm this and that next season and the "great" class he has coming in, then don't you have to give Holt the same due when he's handed studs from his HC.

And....who hired Holt? Was it Tiller? How bout Danny Boy? The Haze....nope, guess again.

It's funny how Brian Brohm has been able to make a competent offense without the "studs" as you say. And no one expected this to be a world beating defense due to injury. But it was really, really bad, even against teams with bad offenses (Northwestern). Scheme was bad and we saw little development, especially in the secondary where injury wasn't so much a factor...

Nope....If you expected them to, you're a bit shy of center.

Well, I didn't expect them to but, unlike you, I'm not a charter member of the Les Miles Fan Club. Amazingly, at least they did have a "tougher" non-conference schedule than iu - Kansas played a P5 opponent (along with Coastal Carolina and FCS Indiana State)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT