ADVERTISEMENT

Question for the board: what in your opinion has or will have to change with this team vs last years that will make a difference?

Bleedinggoldandblack

Redshirt Freshman
Gold Member
Sep 15, 2012
The Watchtower
4 things stick out to me :

1. Coach has got to change some habits and expand this team beyond its one dimensional post play scheme.
2. Our 3-4-5 have to physically mature to handle the long season and not burn out.
3. Athleticism needs to come from a couple of guys in particular to keep everyone from sagging into Edey in the paint .
4. Furst and TKR need to be physical game changers, dominate .

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
I would hope we focus on floor spacing and movement on offense, from the inbound to the basket or rebound.
- we have to break the press, everyone mimic’s Rutgers game plan but thankfully only a few could do it well
- we have to eliminate the standing around on offense, it causes the defense to sag down on Edey
- movement, from everyone…which means if Edey can’t keep up he may have to sit a bit. We have to play quickly under control
- all freshman hit a wall, we need to develop our bench so they can be relied upon as folks work through the growing

I would hope we focus on floor spacing and movement on offense, from the inbound to the basket or rebound.
- we have to break the press, everyone mimic’s Rutgers game plan but thankfully only a few could do it well
- we have to eliminate the standing around on offense, it causes the defense to sag down on Edey
- movement, from everyone…which means if Edey can’t keep up he may have to sit a bit. We have to play quickly under control
- all freshman hit a wall, we need to develop our bench so they can be relied upon as folks work through the growing
Well thought out.

Coach has to have TRUSTED consistent 3-point shooters to rely on to balance the offense with Edey.

Figure out how to keep the freshmen fresh. Fortunately, we won't be heavily depending upon freshmen to play the most minutes at their positions.

With the 3-point shooters, we need a "to the hole" threat. Two would be nice.

I HATE putting pressure on one player. It's not fair. But TKR appears in so many hopeful scenarios.

COMMENTS:
1. Loyer, Waddell, Gillis ... trusted upper classmen need to hit their 3s
2. Jones covers Smith, Loyer covers Colvin, Waddell covers Heide --- freshmen stay fresh
3. Hopefully, Waddel can take it to the hole. We assume Colvin and Heide can
4. We're down to can TKR be superman and can Furst be a B1G Center? - OR!!! Can Edey carry the team for the tourney?

• Love
Reactions: northside100
Defense improving with jones and Waddell being healthy, edey keep progressing defensively.....play enough athletic guards and wings at the 1-4 that can get to the bucket, ie Jones, smith, Waddell, heide, loyer, Colvin....have better shooters taking 3s, ie smith, loyer, jones, Waddell, heide, Gillis....getting good backup minutes at the 5 when edey is out....Painter settling on a lineup that is athletic, can shoot, and play defense around edey....and finally having our most important players smith, edey, loyer, jones, and Waddell stay healthy this year.....

Motion focused offense, both players and the ball! Early last year we were running the motion offense very effectively (look at our performance against top teams) while taking opportunities to get the ball to Zach down low. That changed to an almost singular focus of forcing into the post to Zach first and at the expense of offensive effectiveness. If you’re running the motion effectively you will get plenty of opportunities to dump it down underneath by default and it will be more difficult to collapse the defense and lay off of others to triple Zach.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Coach has to have TRUSTED consistent 3-point shooters to rely on to balance the offense with Edey.
x1,000
I have no comprehension as to how any answer could exclude this. It’s not the only answer but aside from Zach staying healthy, it’s the most important and it’s not even close.

We can follow the strategy of playing all NBA level guards starting next season but this year it’s going to center around Zach and having enough around him to keep defenses honest.

Last edited:
I agree that it’s the shooting that has to get better. Had we shot the ball well all year, we would have won most of the games that we lost. Our offense was potent. No need to reinvent the wheel. Just tweak it a bit.

Get old, stay old. We’ve known this for a while. We are not some sort of damaged goods. This is a high caliber team with lots of skill. People talk like we were middle of the road BIG. Like, “How can we possibly fix this mess?”

Last year we were a complete surprise. we were too young to close the deal, running into the freshman wall. Shouldn’t happen this year.

Get old, stay old. We’ve known this for a while. We are not some sort of damaged goods. This is a high caliber team with lots of skill. People talk like we were middle of the road BIG. Like, “How can we possibly fix this mess?”

Last year we were a complete surprise. we were too young to close the deal, running into the freshman wall. Shouldn’t happen this year.
IMO this is the area where Painter is legitimately subject to criticism. The team that lost to North Texas three seasons ago was among the youngest in the country. Last year‘s team was the only top team in the country to have two true freshman, starting in the back court.

Two seasons ago Jaden was a tremendous talent who needed to be surrounded by experienced leadership to take some of the burden off of him and to keep his meltdowns in check. That leadership was sorely missing.

For as good as Matt has been, these things, legitimately fall on his shoulders. Hunter, IT, and Newman were not nearly as good as they needed to be. Same for Sasha, who could be lights out at times and a complete non-factor at others. Smith and Loyer need to take big steps forward and Matt needs to close the deal to sign Harris.

Last edited:
IMO this is the area where Painter is legitimately subject to criticism. The team that lost to North Texas three seasons ago was among the youngest in the country. Last year‘s team was the only top team in the country to have two true freshman, starting in the back court.

Two seasons ago Jaden was a tremendous talent who needed to be surrounded by experienced leadership to take some of the burden off of him and to keep his meltdowns in check. That leadership was sorely missing.

For as good as Matt has been, these things, legitimately fall on his shoulders. Hunter, IT, and Newman were not nearly as good as they needed to be. Same for Sasha, who could be lights out at times and a complete non-factor at others. Smith and Moyer need to take big steps forward and Matt needs to close the deal to sign Harris.
To keep jadens meltdowns in check he needed to be benched...my one complaint of Painter is that he didn't bench Jaden against st peters....but he would've been criticized heavily for doing so....

To keep jadens meltdowns in check he needed to be benched...my one complaint of Painter is that he didn't bench Jaden against st peters....but he would've been criticized heavily for doing so....
I agree but I think it ran deeper than than the one game. You're probably right that MP would have been well served to sit Jaden more often than he did but, IMO, it's more effective when teammates can reign in that type of behavior and there was no one on that team who was willing and able to do so.

I think Carsen benefited greatly from playing with Vince, Biggie, etc. as an underclassman and Jaden didn't get that same type of leadership.

it was fine at the end of December….We need to know by the end of February…
Fine is a good description of the guard play early in the season last year. Zach was so good that we needed the freshmen just to be solid and they were fantastic for freshmen and good by any measure. I think we'll know December if they've not only returned to early season form but taken a significant step forward and if the new talent at the 3 will make a real difference.

Agree that we won't know whether they hit another wall or if they can break through it until February or March but I think we'll know pretty early on if the improved guard play has this team ready to be just really good or if we've taken a jump and can be scary good.

Reactions: titaniumbolt
I think a lot of things could be listed that in theory could make a difference on offense and defense. I don't like being "dependent" on the 3 ball. I would like to be in bonus with 8 minutes to go in each half. I'm not sure what the average 3pt shots taken per game was, but it is starting to get high when it gets above 25 it seems.

Mine is real simple. Purdue has some talented players at the 3 and 4. I would love to see someone have the ability to drive the ball successfully at the 3 or 4 position or both..."some"...when the hard close out happens or he just gets a step. Don't want it to the point that the ball doesn't move while someone is testing the air, but someone that can put pressure on the other team other than the 1,2 and 5. I think Purdue is improved at the 3 and hope all the 4s grow in their game.

I don't like being "dependent" on the 3 ball. I would like to be in bonus with 8 minutes to go in each half. I'm not sure what the average 3pt shots taken per game was, but it is starting to get high when it gets above 25 it seems.
Completely agree. This team probably doesn't go all the way if they don't shoot the deep ball well but having a 'plan b' when the deep ball isn't falling and teams are collapsing on Zach may help them get through a tough second round or SS game.

Completely agree. This team probably doesn't go all the way if they don't shoot the deep ball well but having a 'plan b' when the deep ball isn't falling and teams are collapsing on Zach may help them get through a tough second round or SS game.
I don't think it is much to ask either. I do think the 3s help in this manner this year, but hope there are 4s capable when needed as well, not only as another offensive weapon, but to get into bonus earlier...or to get to the line if already in bonus. Course you have to hit the FTs...

Fine is a good description of the guard play early in the season last year. Zach was so good that we needed the freshmen just to be solid and they were fantastic for freshmen and good by any measure. I think we'll know December if they've not only returned to early season form but taken a significant step forward and if the new talent at the 3 will make a real difference.

Agree that we won't know whether they hit another wall or if they can break through it until February or March but I think we'll know pretty early on if the improved guard play has this team ready to be just really good or if we've taken a jump and can be scary good.
Well said

The guards they'll face this year are going to be much more athletic than in the '22-'23 season. I've got Xavier, Bama, and Zona circled on my calendar as some litmus tests.

- Smith and Loyer need to remain consistent throughout the season. When they were at their best last year, they were good enough for Purdue to be a great team, but they both struggled down the stretch, especially Loyer.
- The team needs to hit open catch and shoot shots, especially in pressure situations. Again it seems obvious, but it was a huge issue last season.
- The team needs to make opponents pay for applying full court pressure. I don’t think it’s good enough just to break the pressure. Purdue has the personal now to generate easy buckets against the press.
- Someone needs to emerge at the 3. I think that one area that has kept the Big Ten from winning national championships in the past couple decades is the lack of elite play at the wing, but I think Purdue has several players with the potential to really step up at that position.
- TKR needs to use his impressive skill set to effectively play off Edey at the 4. I think he has a great shot at being the number 2 scorer on the team and to do it in a way that compliments Zach while maintaining good spacing on offense.
- Jones needs to provide quality minutes when Smith is out. The dropoff when Smith was out of the game last season, was a huge issue.

I know that the above is a lot to ask for, but I think it’s all realistic as well. If it all happens and the team stays healthy, I think that Purdue will be the best team in the country and will make a great run in the NCAA Tournament, potentially winning it all.

Relax more early in the season and have some fun. Do different things with and without Edey. Stay healthy and remember.., This is already a hell of a team.

We aren’t going to suprise anybody. Don’t be afraid to lose a game or two early and mid-season.

We also must remember…good, bad or ugly…Everybody in the Country is going to say “I told you so”!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT