ADVERTISEMENT

For those that wanted a big change...

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
I.E. Holt. It likely is not happening. You don't get family pics with H.C. and D.C. in the same pic right after the Bucket Game.

https://twitter.com/EronHodges?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

My personal grade for the season = D. Expected more & tired of injuries as acceptance.

The Good = Bell, Karlaftis, Doerue, and O'Connell
The Bad = Defense as a whole was not good early. Secondary got killed early on and still torched thru the season with mild improvement, DL & LB had an incomplete grade with a few key players injured to allow improvement. Just not good.
OL = was not ready for the start of the season = shame on conditioning and off season prep.
Injuries = yadda yadda yadda just bad. Must figure out how to reduce the overall injuries. Yoga, Range of motion therapies...I hope they search for an answer to reduce this using a different methodology as that cannot be acceptable next year.

Next season needs to be a bigger step forward for what the staff is paid. I like what Brohm and staff has done, but this season became meh! I'm not expecting National Championships, but 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 and occasional 10-2 would be nice to see.

Do you think the o line and defense improves next season? Obviously experience from this season helps.

Reactions: pboiler18
Do you think the o line and defense improves next season? Obviously experience from this season helps.
Yes. My biggest issue of this season was not having OL ready before the season started. Spring ball should have shown the deficiencies and there should have been either grad transfers or ready to go JUCOs to plug the holes. Brohm did that his 1st year.

Reactions: pboiler18
Brohm tried to get grad transfers here this year but didn't land any. Sounds like we're in on many JUCO LBs and OLs right now.

Reactions: doubleyous
Yes. My biggest issue of this season was not having OL ready before the season started. Spring ball should have shown the deficiencies and there should have been either grad transfers or ready to go JUCOs to plug the holes. Brohm did that his 1st year.

ready to go juco? Lol. It’s rare for a juco to contribute at a high level their first year in the program.

ready to go juco? Lol. It’s rare for a juco to contribute at a high level their first year in the program.
Rare, but not impossible. In fact, that is what Brohm is reportedly looking for now. Contributors ready to go now from JUCO.

I.E. Holt. It likely is not happening. You don't get family pics with H.C. and D.C. in the same pic right after the Bucket Game.
If I recall, Gerad Parker was on the road recruiting after the 2017 bucket game, which gave some people the idea that he was going to be retained. I'm not saying Holt is going to be canned, but between now and Dec 18 is probably not the time to rock the boat regardless.

My personal grade for the season = D. Expected more & tired of injuries as acceptance.

The Bad = Defense as a whole was not good early. Secondary got killed early on and still torched thru the season with mild improvement, DL & LB had an incomplete grade with a few key players injured to allow improvement. Just not good.
OL = was not ready for the start of the season = shame on conditioning and off season prep.
Injuries = yadda yadda yadda just bad. Must figure out how to reduce the overall injuries. Yoga, Range of motion therapies...I hope they search for an answer to reduce this using a different methodology as that cannot be acceptable next year.

Next season needs to be a bigger step forward for what the staff is paid. I like what Brohm and staff has done, but this season became meh! I'm not expecting National Championships, but 7-5, 8-4, 9-3 and occasional 10-2 would be nice to see.
Not saying it will happen as I have no idea but it happened with IU last year. After the season there were pictures of DeBord floating around with recruits but everyone knew he wasn't going to be back this season. The change wasn't made official until after the first signing day.

O line and D line improved and did the LB group - Holt is a very good coach and will be fine
I disagree that the LB group improved over the year. Much of that is due to losing Bailey and then also Jones. It was sad to see so many guys wide open over the middle (like the fateful play Saturday). It was also amazing to see how many extra yards opposing runners would get after they ran into the pile. Our linebackers need more strength. One guy I like is Fakasiieiki. Seems to make a few huge tackles every game.

If I recall, Gerad Parker was on the road recruiting after the 2017 bucket game, which gave some people the idea that he was going to be retained. I'm not saying Holt is going to be canned, but between now and Dec 18 is probably not the time to rock the boat regardless.
Gerad Parker made a mistake with DUI + coaching staff change so it is two separate issues off field vs on field issues. A good guy, but bad mistake. I just looked to see where he is now and he is plenty fine at Penn State as a WR coach.

I disagree that the LB group improved over the year. Much of that is due to losing Bailey and then also Jones. It was sad to see so many guys wide open over the middle (like the fateful play Saturday). It was also amazing to see how many extra yards opposing runners would get after they ran into the pile. Our linebackers need more strength. One guy I like is Fakasiieiki. Seems to make a few huge tackles every game.
Fakasiieiki is fine on run downs but a liability on passing downs. He subbed for Alexander on the second to last play of the game and the middle of the field was wide open.

After spring ball is too late to add juco players.

Reactions: mustard_

That’s fine but if there isn’t significant improvement next year and nothing osdone then it’s basically no better than a Scott frost erik chinander situation.

How is the defensive coordinator also the linebacker coach, we have been getting three star recruits, and I can’t name one f-ing linebacker that I know is going to be an impact player next year?

If no one wants to criticize holt, poindexter and brown that’s fine .. but you better line up and kiss Dale Williams ass. Because.. unlike those three.. his group made progress as the year went on.

Not harshly criticizing holt for the linebackers in particular would be like if Brohm was presiding over Caleb terbush and Sean Robinson at QB.. no different

Reactions: purduepat1969
O line and D line improved and did the LB group - Holt is a very good coach and will be fine

Where was the improvement in the LB core? I sure didn't see it. All I saw was his son getting dragged about 3 to 5 yards after every tackle, or flat out getting abused by QB runs.

Reactions: DAG10
Gerad Parker made a mistake with DUI + coaching staff change so it is two separate issues off field vs on field issues. A good guy, but bad mistake. I just looked to see where he is now and he is plenty fine at Penn State as a WR coach.
I believe the DUI was after he took another job. Regardless, he was kept on staff for awhile for recruiting continuity and that alone.

Reactions: boiler2288
Ben Holt was a f..king warrior. Played his ass off ALL 12 games despite being hurt and never complained or made excuses. Wish this years team had more guys with his desire and willingness to lay it on the line and SACRIFICE for team, coaches and team mates

Ben Holt was a f..king warrior. Played his ass off ALL 12 games despite being hurt and never complained or made excuses. Wish this years team had more guys with his desire and willingness to lay it on the line and SACRIFICE for team, coaches and team mates
Heart and tenacity was there without question. He was dragged around 3 or more yards after contact on many occasions. Effectiveness is what many point to including myself.

Heart and tenacity was there without question. He was dragged around 3 or more yards after contact on many occasions. Effectiveness is what many point to including myself.

I have trouble connecting with the argument that Brohm would allow a coordinator to play said coordinator's son over a player who would give the team a better chance to win.

As I've said before(and this applies to all of the Purdue linebackers) with the youth and lack of depth on Purdue's D-line(DT mainly) the LB's have not been able to react, fill gaps and simply meet runners in the holes. Not claiming the Purdue LB'S were great this season but an uptick in DT play will certainly help considerably.

you're really missing my point.

My point was, if there was another to start over Holt, Brohm wouldn't have tolerated that person sitting the bench IN FAVOR of Holt.

Totally agree. The issue I have is that he was brought to Purdue in the first place. All the heart in the world. But he shouldn't have been put in a position to start at MLB on a Power 5 team with how undersized he was, and without the speed to compensate for it. That should have been evident to Brohm, and even to his dad, when he was playing at Western Ky.

Reactions: ejs1111
Totally agree. The issue I have is that he was brought to Purdue in the first place. All the heart in the world. But he shouldn't have been put in a position to start at MLB on a Power 5 team with how undersized he was, and without the speed to compensate for it. That should have been evident to Brohm, and even to his dad, when he was playing at Western Ky.
So...which guy that Brohm thought wasn’t as good as Holt would you have started at MLB?

So...which guy that Brohm thought wasn’t as good as Holt would you have started at MLB?

A different grad transfer than Holt...

You can't tell me there weren't better options out there. And that there wasn't some favoritism going on to bring the DC's son to Purdue...

So you would have left the scholarship unused and started a guy that Brohm thought was inferior to Ben? I don’t understand.

Again, I would have done something different. Whether that be moving Barnes to LB. Or making a grad transfer a higher priority.

Reactions: krf3632
You guys realize that the grad transfer market isn’t a draft, right? We don’t get a turn to just pick whoever we want. You have to win the recruiting battles. In CJB’s first first couple years, we were able to land a few of those guys. Last year, we were not. It wasn’t for lack of effort.

Grad transfers are not only highly valuable, but they are relatively small in number (the ones that can play P5, anyway). They’re heavily recruited because they are ready made. It’s not like CJB can just pull into their driveway with a pen in hand and land his choice of grad transfer guys. There are a lot of people after them.

Reactions: Inspector100
Again, I would have done something different. Whether that be moving Barnes to LB. Or making a grad transfer a higher priority.
I’m sure they made grad transfers a high priority, and in my opinion these coaches are pretty good recruiters.

My guess is they thought Barnes would be better used off the edge than in the middle.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Speaking of Barnes, does he stay at LEO/DE next year or move back to LB? I think I read he had 8 sacks. That's pretty good considering this was his First full year at the position. Interested to see If he projects to the NFL, he's a bit short.

I have trouble connecting with the argument that Brohm would allow a coordinator to play said coordinator's son over a player who would give the team a better chance to win.
Don’t take this as an attack. I just can’t think of an answer to this question:
Who was better? I agree that Ben Holt lacked ideal size for the position but he was in position and was quite good at diagnosing and reacting to plays. Was there a player on the roster who could do all of that and was more physically capable?

Reactions: sro73
You guys realize that the grad transfer market isn’t a draft, right? We don’t get a turn to just pick whoever we want. You have to win the recruiting battles. In CJB’s first first couple years, we were able to land a few of those guys. Last year, we were not. It wasn’t for lack of effort.

Grad transfers are not only highly valuable, but they are relatively small in number (the ones that can play P5, anyway). They’re heavily recruited because they are ready made. It’s not like CJB can just pull into their driveway with a pen in hand and land his choice of grad transfer guys. There are a lot of people after them.
Totally agree with that. We are going after several right now at different positions but may land one maybe two. Certainly could land zero, if we land zero certainly not for lack of effort. It is competitive like you said

Who was better? I agree that Ben Holt lacked ideal size for the position but he was in position and was quite good at diagnosing and reacting to plays. Was there a player on the roster who could do all of that and was more physically capable?
No, there wasn’t. The main argument is we should have “signed someone better”. Which I’m sure the coaches tried to do.

No argument on that. He was in position in a lot of cases. Unfortunately he either got run over or run by.

No, there wasn’t. The main argument is we should have “signed someone better”. Which I’m sure the coaches tried to do.
It does behoove them to sign “the best players they can get” so I have no doubt they are trying. I also see evidence that they are getting more talented players in many positions but those do take time to develop both physically and mentally. Imagine Fakesieke with Ben Holt’s knowledge and intangibles. That’s where we are headed.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT