ADVERTISEMENT

Ethan Morton - Don't forget

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
Read what Painter had to say in November 2019 about the signing class of Ivey, Morton and Edey. Then consider how those words manifested for Ivey and Edey last year. Now take a look at the words said about Ethan Morton. If Painter is right, imagine how much that could help Purdue in 2021-2022.

https://www.si.com/college/purdue/basketball/purdue-basketball-recruiting-sign-3
“This is a very strong group with high basketball IQs and athleticism and will fit with our program very well.”

And Painter continues to tout Morton, saying that he was dealt a tough hand last year and that he will be a contributor this year.

My prediction right after the season was that we could have a 1st team and a 2nd team where the minutes could just about be split 50/50. And the keys are Edey, Newman, and Morton. If those 3 show enough improvement to be near Tre, Sash, and Hunter; then we are FF. Edey showed huge this summer. And Newman and Morton just have to improve their shooting. Newman IMO is already a good shooter, so the key is Morton. He showed me last year that he passes very well and he just has to be more of a threat to score on the drive and hit the 3 if they give him room because they know he can penetrate.

Reactions: jtanoos1
He'll get plenty of playing time during the 2022-2023 season after Eric Hunter Jr. moves on with his life. I think Hunter already said (along with Trevion and Sasha) that this season will be his last. I just hope Morton doesn't get itchy this season if his minutes aren't what he hopes, and thinks the grass is greener and decides to transfer. Ethan Morton is just the type of guy that Purdue basketball needs as an upperclassmen leader on this team. This roster is just so loaded with talent, and there are only so many minutes to go around.

My prediction right after the season was that we could have a 1st team and a 2nd team where the minutes could just about be split 50/50. And the keys are Edey, Newman, and Morton. If those 3 show enough improvement to be near Tre, Sash, and Hunter; then we are FF. Edey showed huge this summer. And Newman and Morton just have to improve their shooting. Newman IMO is already a good shooter, so the key is Morton. He showed me last year that he passes very well and he just has to be more of a threat to score on the drive and hit the 3 if they give him room because they know he can penetrate.
The 3, 4 and 5 could be 50/50 with Sasha / Brandon, the three headed monster and Zach / Tre, but Ivey and Hunter will carry the majority of minutes (30+ mpg each) at the other two guard spots. If that leaves 20mpg in the backcourt my guess is that Sasha and Brandon will eat into some of those minutes and Ethan and IT will split the remainder.

Hopefully the team remains relatively healthy, if so the only path to additional minutes for Ethan and IT would seem to be earning minutes from EHJ, IT or Ethan. Good problems to have.

He'll get plenty of playing time during the 2022-2023 season after Eric Hunter Jr. moves on with his life. I think Hunter already said (along with Trevion and Sasha) that this season will be his last. I just hope Morton doesn't get itchy this season if his minutes aren't what he hopes, and thinks the grass is greener and decides to transfer. Ethan Morton is just the type of guy that Purdue basketball needs as an upperclassmen leader on this team. This roster is just so loaded with talent, and there are only so many minutes to go around.
There is no doubt in my mind that Ethan is a much better than Eric. We will see if he can deliver. This absolutely is not me bashing Eric as a player, just think Ethan will be on the floor when it matters. I will take a friendly wager if needed.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ethan is a much better than Eric. We will see if he can deliver. This absolutely is not me bashing Eric as a player, just think Ethan will be on the floor when it matters. I will take a friendly wager if needed.
Ethan game one versus Eric game one? That’s laughable. I’d probably take my chances and bet on Ethan as a senior versus Eric as a senior but Eric will be much more productive than Ethan this year and it won’t be close.

Reactions: West James
If we get the "good" EH then I think Ethan is going to have a hard time getting minutes. If we get "bad" EH like we saw down the stretch and Ethan can't get minutes because CMP doesn't think he is better than that, we have a problem.

Ethan game one versus Eric game one? That’s laughable. I’d probably take my chances and bet on Ethan as a senior versus Eric as a senior but Eric will be much more productive than Ethan this year and it won’t be close.
You kind of twisted my words a bit. Like I said, this is not a bash on Eric. I love him as a player for Purdue. I said Ethan is a better player. There are no timelines that I am thinking of. Last year was basically EM's red shirt year (health reasons) but he got to play a little. Eric will get the nod to start the season for sure, but I expect EM to gain Min. as the year goes on. I could also be 100% wrong. No shame in that. If I am wrong not that big of a deal. If I am right, Purdue is in a much better position to win big this year.

Gambling is Illleeeeeeeegal here at Bushwood and I never slice........ha ha

"Ok, you can owe me, Chevy!"

giphy.gif

You kind of twisted my words a bit. Like I said, this is not a bash on Eric. I love him as a player for Purdue. I said Ethan is a better player. There are no timelines that I am thinking of. Last year was basically EM's red shirt year (health reasons) but he got to play a little. Eric will get the nod to start the season for sure, but I expect EM to gain Min. as the year goes on. I could also be 100% wrong. No shame in that. If I am wrong not that big of a deal. If I am right, Purdue is in a much better position to win big this year.
Twisting your words was not my intent. I guess I could have phrased it as a question to ask whether you mean that Ethan is a better player now (I don't know how to measure that other than offensive and defensive productivity) , or if you mean that Ethan is more talented or will be a more productive player in the future.

I didn't take your comments as a bash towards Eric. I agree that Ethan is very talented, my point was that it's probably not fair to him to hold him up as essentially a redshirt freshman against a senior who has played a ton his first three years and should have a lot of incentive to have a strong senior year after never really consistently getting it going following his injury as a junior.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schnelk
I'd be very surprised if Thompson gets playing time over Morton this upcoming season.
I hope this is the case. Thompson can have games where he comes alive offensively. However, he does not have the body to match up with any teams' guards that play physical. He is an absolute defensive liability, when this is the case, and physical guards are now the norm anymore for most teams.

Twisting your words was not my intent. I guess I could have phrased it as a question to ask whether you mean that Ethan is a better player now (I don't know how to measure that other than offensive and defensive productivity) , or if you mean that Ethan is more talented or will be a more productive player in the future.

I didn't take your comments as a bash towards Eric. I agree that Ethan is very talented, my point was that it's probably not fair to him to hold him up as essentially a redshirt freshman against a senior who has played a ton his first three years and should have a lot of incentive to have a strong senior year after never really consistently getting it going following his injury as a junior.
That's what I meant. Ethan will be a better more productive player in time. Don't know when, he could emerge this year but most likely the following. For me, it's all about his size and strength and I think that translates into being a better Power five type player. It would be a different story is Eric was a dead eye shooter, but he is not.

I cannot remember where I saw the clip, but it was Ethan, Tre, and Gillis all going for a rebound. The ball got batted in the air a few times, but I was really impressed that Ethan was able to rebound with those guys. That's when I made up my mind that he will be ready this year.

If we get the "good" EH then I think Ethan is going to have a hard time getting minutes. If we get "bad" EH like we saw down the stretch and Ethan can't get minutes because CMP doesn't think he is better than that, we have a problem.
If we get "bad" EH like we saw down the stretch and Ethan can't get minutes because he isn't better than that, we have a problem. Fixed
I have high hopes for Ethan this year.
But his opportunity won't be taking over as defensive stopper anytime soon (ever). ;)

If we get "bad" EH like we saw down the stretch and Ethan can't get minutes because he isn't better than that, we have a problem. Fixed
But his opportunity won't be taking over as defensive stopper anytime soon (ever). ;)
Problem with this year’s team or problem with Ethan? Agree on the former, ‘bad’ EH playing a ton of minutes doesn’t bode well for the team’s ceiling. Disagree on the latter, displacing someone with EH’s experience and defensive prowess, even if he continues to struggle offensively, is a big ask of Ethan at this point in his career.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
What are you basing Morton being a better player off of? Nothing he did last year suggests he will be better than hunter.

Not sure what you think you fixed?? Last I checked CMP decides who plays based on his opinion of who is better. If Ethan isn't better in Coach's opinion than bad EH, it isn't good for us.

Problem with this year’s team or problem with Ethan? Agree on the former, ‘bad’ EH playing a ton of minutes doesn’t bode well for the team’s ceiling. Disagree on the latter, displacing someone with EH’s experience and defensive prowess, even if he continues to struggle offensively, is a big ask of Ethan at this point in his career.
Team. If Hunter struggles again offensively (still b great D) and Ethan STILL can't beat that out, then the teams ceiling is "likely" significantly lower than many of us are expecting. Need at least one of the two to be significantly better.
I'm personally expecting both to be.

Not sure what you think you fixed?? Last I checked CMP decides who plays based on his opinion of who is better. If Ethan isn't better in Coach's opinion than bad EH, it isn't good for us.
The players decide. Of course it's the coaches decision but as they will ALWAYS tell you, the players make the decisions with their play on the court. There are some among us (not me) that feel that Coach P is sometimes wrong in his pt allocations. My comment reflected that.

What are you basing Morton being a better player off of? Nothing he did last year suggests he will be better than hunter.
Agreed, I am not sure what it is I am using to make this assessment. I think we saw about 40% of what EM can do as a player at this level. He looks to be much stronger and more explosive in the clips of him I watched this summer. At the end of the day its a good problem to have. Hunter is going to get his minutes this year, I just believe EM will emerge as a guy you need on the floor in certain situations.

Reactions: Schnelk
Agreed, I am not sure what it is I am using to make this assessment. I think we saw about 40% of what EM can do as a player at this level. He looks to be much stronger and more explosive in the clips of him I watched this summer. At the end of the day its a good problem to have. Hunter is going to get his minutes this year, I just believe EM will emerge as a guy you need on the floor in certain situations.
Fair answer. Guess I just disagree. I think Morton is at least one more year away from being a contributor and don't anticipate him taking any minutes from hunter this year.

Reactions: West James
I feel his biggest challenge down the stretch was not using his mid-range jumper. He seemingly forced longer shots instead of driving and opening up the defense.

I'm in. Defense wins in the BIg 10. Hunters not going anywhere.

I disagree. I'll take offense over defense any day of the year. Defense may have an impact on conference games because some B10 teams like low possession, grind it out games, but when it's tourney time, you gotta have scoring.

Team. If Hunter struggles again offensively (still b great D) and Ethan STILL can't beat that out, then the teams ceiling is "likely" significantly lower than many of us are expecting. Need at least one of the two to be significantly better.
I'm personally expecting both to be.

If EH struggles and Morton isn't an upgrade, I could see lineups of
Ivey
SS
Newman
Kaufman/Furst
Tre

Reactions: Cincy Boiler
If EH struggles and Morton isn't an upgrade, I could see lineups of
Ivey
SS
Newman
Kaufman/Furst
Tre
Completely agree. We saw a heavy dose of that backcourt with EH at the point before Jaden came on, no reason it can't be run with Jaden at the point. I think that EH will be much better offensively this year and will play a ton of minutes and I still think we're likely to see a lot of games where Sasha and Brandon are on the court at the same time for 10 mpg.

I disagree. I'll take offense over defense any day of the year. Defense may have an impact on conference games because some B10 teams like low possession, grind it out games, but when it's tourney time, you gotta have scoring.
You're not wrong regarding scoring but this has been discussed here many times. If you want to be a FF or NC team you need both. I'm not going to dig up the stats but the vast majority of the top performing teams in the tournament over the last 20 years have been very highly ranked in both offensive and defensive efficiency.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
Ethan has plenty of potential that we have not seen yet. He was Pennsylvania Gatorade player of the year and Pittsburgh area athlete of the year. Looking forward to seeing him make a big jump this year and next.

I feel his biggest challenge down the stretch was not using his mid-range jumper. He seemingly forced longer shots instead of driving and opening up the defense.
I don't have stats for mid-range versus other two point field goal attempts, but Eric was incredibly inconsistent in both his number of two point field goals attempted per game and his efficiency in executing those attempts.

He had a ten game stretch starting with the 1/17 Penn State game and ending with the second Penn State game on 2/26 where he shot 58% from two on an average of five attempts per game with two's accounting for 68% of his shots during that period. That includes the last four games of that stretch where he shot 63% on 7.5 attempts per game.

The combined four games before and four games after that 10 game stretch, including the last four games of the season, he shot 11% (2 of 19) from two on 2.4 attempts per game.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef

Hope Morton matetializes as a real player next year. But looking more and more, like a guy that could take awhile though to get where CMP sees for him.

I don't have stats for mid-range versus other two point field goal attempts, but Eric was incredibly inconsistent in both his number of two point field goals attempted per game and his efficiency in executing those attempts.

He had a ten game stretch starting with the 1/17 Penn State game and ending with the second Penn State game on 2/26 where he shot 58% from two on an average of five attempts per game with two's accounting for 68% of his shots during that period. That includes the last four games of that stretch where he shot 63% on 7.5 attempts per game.

The combined four games before and four games after that 10 game stretch, including the last four games of the season, he shot 11% (2 of 19) from two on 2.4 attempts per game.
Yes. He also shot much better from three as a sophomore than he did last season. When EH is efficient offensively, hitting his shots and not turning the ball over, he provides exactly what the team needs at the one, but when he is off, I prefer IT’s reliability. Hopefully, he can stay consistent this season.

Hoping that Morton can make a huge leap as well.

You're not wrong regarding scoring but this has been discussed here many times. If you want to be a FF or NC team you need both. I'm not going to dig up the stats but the vast majority of the top performing teams in the tournament over the last 20 years have been very highly ranked in both offensive and defensive efficiency.

A lot of that has to do with the fact that most of the FF and NC teams have a couple of NBA players in the starting 5.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT