ADVERTISEMENT

Senior Memories - Ethan Morton

Boiler Addict

True Freshman
Feb 19, 2020
I think separate threads for each senior would be best. Painter’s 2020 class had Edey, Ivey, Morton. Gillis coming off of RS.

What’s some of your best / most fun memories?

I’ll offer 2 games and one play:
- @ Ohio State ‘23 - 10 points (career high)
- Texas R32 ‘22 - thought he played well
- chase down block earlier this season

Very team first guy. You can see it in his attitude and play. Voted a captain. Has helped bring this team to unprecedented “poll heights”.

I’ll also say I have so many memories of shots nearly going in but just spinning/rolling out.

Don’t forget he had mono his freshman year. I wonder if that had an impact on his career / development.

Last edited:
His Purdue Bio:

Ethan Morton

Group Huddle Celebration

Maui Invite Champions

Group Huddle Shot

David Jenkins Jr., Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Zach Edey, Ethan Morton

Phil Knight Legacy Champs

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Photo by: Andrew Stein/Purdue Athletics
Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Hall of Fame Champions

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton, Eric Hunter Jr.

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

ETHAN MORTON
  • Position: Guard
  • Height: 6-7
  • Weight: 215
  • Class: Senior
  • Hometown: Butler, Pa.
  • High School: Butler Area

Career Stats

HIGH SCHOOL

• Morton graduated from Butler Area High School in 2020 after a sensational high school career.
• Was ranked 83rd nationally by ESPN, 88th by Rivals and 94th by 247Sports.
• Named Pennsylvania’s Gatorade State Player of the Year and Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball.
• Led Butler to the WPIAL Class 6-A title and were among the favorites to win the PIAA State Championship before the tournament was canceled.
• Averaged 23.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game, shooting 56 percent from the field and 81 percent from the free throw line.
• Finished career with 2,198 points and was a two-time first-team All-State selection. Also had 912 rebounds, 682 assists and 138 blocked shots.
• Named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Male Athlete of the Year and was named to the Post-Gazette’s Fabulous 5 three times.
• Was named the No. 8 player of the last 40 years in Pittsburgh in a vote by former coaches and media members.
• Boasted a 4.0 GPA at Butler.
• Chose Purdue over a slew offers, including Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Virginia, Oregon and others.

What happened when he got here? Hard to understand how someone regressed so far from high school to college with that resume. Best of luck to him going forward. He has been a great teammate.

What happened when he got here? Hard to understand how someone regressed so far from high school to college with that resume. Best of luck to him going forward. He has been a great teammate.
This is a most terrible post. You don't understand life, let a lone basketball. Any response your will possibly make doesn't deserve a reply from me.

His Purdue Bio:

Ethan Morton

Group Huddle Celebration

Maui Invite Champions

Group Huddle Shot

David Jenkins Jr., Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Zach Edey, Ethan Morton

Phil Knight Legacy Champs

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Photo by: Andrew Stein/Purdue Athletics
Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

Hall of Fame Champions

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton, Eric Hunter Jr.

Ethan Morton

Ethan Morton

ETHAN MORTON
  • Position: Guard
  • Height: 6-7
  • Weight: 215
  • Class: Senior
  • Hometown: Butler, Pa.
  • High School: Butler Area

Career Stats

HIGH SCHOOL

• Morton graduated from Butler Area High School in 2020 after a sensational high school career.
• Was ranked 83rd nationally by ESPN, 88th by Rivals and 94th by 247Sports.
• Named Pennsylvania’s Gatorade State Player of the Year and Pennsylvania Mr. Basketball.
• Led Butler to the WPIAL Class 6-A title and were among the favorites to win the PIAA State Championship before the tournament was canceled.
• Averaged 23.4 points, 13.0 rebounds and 8.3 assists per game, shooting 56 percent from the field and 81 percent from the free throw line.
• Finished career with 2,198 points and was a two-time first-team All-State selection. Also had 912 rebounds, 682 assists and 138 blocked shots.
• Named Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Male Athlete of the Year and was named to the Post-Gazette’s Fabulous 5 three times.
• Was named the No. 8 player of the last 40 years in Pittsburgh in a vote by former coaches and media members.
• Boasted a 4.0 GPA at Butler.
• Chose Purdue over a slew offers, including Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Virginia, Oregon and others.
I loved the way he played in the Phil Knight Invitational last year in Portland when he helped Purdue shock the country with 19 assists to 1 turnover over the three games.

This is a most terrible post. You don't understand life, let a lone basketball. Any response your will possibly make doesn't deserve a reply from me.
His post asks a good question. How does a guy who was player of the year in his state, 8th best player in the last 40 years from the Pittsburgh area, and ranked in the top 100 nationally, end his senior year so deep on the depth chart that he's getting 4 minutes a game? Beyond that, how does his offense regress so far that he has scored 7 baskets his entire senior year and is shooting 21% from the field.

He didn't get his ranking or become player of the year because he was a team guy and played good defense. I think a lot of us had concerns when we heard stories about his outside shooting, but my understanding was that he was a big point guard, who was a great passer and could score in other ways (23.4 points per game as a SR).

We'll probably never know why Morton lost his MOJO on the offensive end, but something happened. His current offensive game just doesn't add up to the promise and accolades he received in high school. I don't know how it's even debatable.

Reactions: SKYDOG
His post asks a good question. How does a guy who was player of the year in his state, 8th best player in the last 40 years from the Pittsburgh area, and ranked in the top 100 nationally, end his senior year so deep on the depth chart that he's getting 4 minutes a game? Beyond that, how does his offense regress so far that he has scored 7 baskets his entire senior year and is shooting 21% from the field.

He didn't get his ranking or become player of the year because he was a team guy and played good defense. I think a lot of us had concerns when we heard stories about his outside shooting, but my understanding was that he was a big point guard, who was a great passer and could score in other ways (23.4 points per game as a SR).

We'll probably never know why Morton lost his MOJO on the offensive end, but something happened. His current offensive game just doesn't add up to the promise and accolades he received in high school. I don't know how it's even debatable.
He was just bigger, stronger and probably more talented than a lot of the competition he faced in HS. That all changed when he got to AAU and started playing against better athletes.

Dude had mono his freshman year and missed a year of getting acclimated to the game. Never really developed much after that. So yeah, aren't a lot of memories. However, he did start alot last year and came back this year for limited minutes. He does what Painter has asked him to do and accepts his role. He doesn't control his PT. He cares about the program and thats not enough to let him keep starting, but he gets entirely too much hate. Some prospects pan out and some don't. But you can't really ask more from a player than what Morton is willing to do.

Morton goes down as an all-time Boilermaker due to being a Winner. Does what the coaches ask of him and makes winning plays! Scoring is not everything.
Players that don’t score much in high school aren’t looked at by big time college programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT