ADVERTISEMENT

Does Sean Payton lack confidence in 10 yards or more throws?

MilwaukeeBoilerFan

All-American
May 29, 2001
That was painful to watch Drew only throwing 3-4 passes of 10 or more yards and they connected on most. Insert Taysom for cuteness in running and fumble = loss.

Last edited:
Umm, I live in.Colorado and watched Manning at a similar point. Don’t think it’s a play calling situation. He needs his #1 receiver back.

Yeah, offense looks completely different without Thomas.

Taysom has built up plenty of equity for me to shrug off a devastating fumble.

That was painful to watch Drew only throwing 3-4 passes of 10 or more yards and they connected on most. Insert Taysom for cuteness in running and fumble = loss.
I'm not sure I understand the Taysom Hill experiment. I've seen numerous instances where the Saints had momentum, then Payton puts in Hill and it derails the drive. When you have a future Hall of Fame QB, why mess with it?

I'm not sure I understand the Taysom Hill experiment. I've seen numerous instances where the Saints had momentum, then Payton puts in Hill and it derails the drive. When you have a future Hall of Fame QB, why mess with it?

Agreed.

When Drew and the offense are moving and hot, why change it up?

Seems like Payton is trying to prove he's an offensive genius. He's really outsmarting himself.

Agreed.

Seems like Payton is trying to prove he's an offensive genius. He's really outsmarting himself.

I get Taysom Hill is fast for a QB. But the Saints have one of the best running backs in the NFL in Alvin Kamara. But yeah, let's have Taysom Hill run the option...

Agreed.

Fact is the game was tied till that costly fumble. I get that Taysom is sizable, fast and can pass the ball. Bringing in the wildcat package is good when rarely used. Teams appear to be aware of him now so, why use him when the drive was not stalling?
I'm a bit concerned that 15-20 yard range passes are not in Drew's playbook unless they are down. That seems like it will cost New Orleans when they are playing conservative and to keep it close.

It also doesn't help that the Defense is giving up a most of their yards in penalties (83 yards) is a killer.

Reactions: purduepat1969
Fact is the game was tied till that costly fumble. I get that Taysom is sizable, fast and can pass the ball. Bringing in the wildcat package is good when rarely used. Teams appear to be aware of him now so, why use him when the drive was not stalling?
I'm a bit concerned that 15-20 yard range passes are not in Drew's playbook unless they are down. That seems like it will cost New Orleans when they are playing conservative and to keep it close.

It also doesn't help that the Defense is giving up a most of their yards in penalties (83 yards) is a killer.
They run short routes cuz brees arm strength has deteriorated, which is what OP was alluding too. It has been obvious since the middle of last season. Brady is dealing with the same issues, so it isnt just Brees.

At a certian point, these guys cant load up and throw deep anymore.

Reactions: Purdue85
They run short routes cuz brees arm strength has deteriorated, which is what OP was alluding too. It has been obvious since the middle of last season. Brady is dealing with the same issues, so it isnt just Brees.

At a certian point, these guys cant load up and throw deep anymore.
This is why I thought he should have explored FA. There are a several teams with good defenses where he could have dinked and dunked his way to another SB a la Manning. Look at the QB mess that is the 3-0 Bears.

This is why I thought he should have explored FA. There are a several teams with good defenses where he could have dinked and dunked his way to another SB a la Manning. Look at the QB mess that is the 3-0 Bears.
To be fair, Mitch does have the arm strength to get the ball down field, he is just horribly inaccurate.

Not trying to read into this too much about what Drew is saying, yet I wonder if there are internal issues? "Based on the last two losses, we need to take a hard look here. What we're doing, how we're doing it, we need to be doing it better, bottom line."

Averaging 29.3 ppg Offense should win you a fair amount of games.
Averaging 31.3 ppg Defense won't win you many games.

Either open up the offense for more strikes and points or reduce the costly mistakes on Defense or a bit of both.
We'll see what translates this week.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT