ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

We have been kings of the regular season three years in a row now. Painter is doing a great job with that no doubt.

Those who are advocating for more Colvin playing time are looking ahead to March where we have struggled regardless of our top kenpom rankings. It’s not unreasonable to believe a more experienced Colvin could help us on offense when the shots aren’t falling and Edey is being doubled.
Thank you. This is what I’ve been trying to say.

He plays the 1 at times and the 2/3 at times. His role is to be either the primary or secondary ballhandler. Colvin, is a straight wing who, unless it’s a blowout, plays with two other ballhandlers.
My question for you or anyone else: When is Morton the primary ballhandler?

Typical sub pattern: Around the 1st TV timeout Gillis comes in for TKR and Morton comes in for Jones. Same thing in the 2nd half. This is when Morton is getting the vast majority of his minutes. If during those minutes, Smith goes out (which is rare) then Jones comes in for him.

So during the majority of Morton's minutes he is on the floor with Smith/Loyer or Loyer/Jones. The only time he has been asked to be the primary ball handler is during some garbage minutes when Smith was done for the day and he played the PG with scrub time.

Since I asked the question, it's only fair I give my .02. I see Morton as primarily (during meaningful playing time) as a #3. That is also where I see Colvin right now. The difference is they play the position completely different. Colvin is a shooting #3 and Morton is a passing #3.

So I don't think it is crazy to say they play the same position, they just play that position so differently, that it doesn't seem to be the same.

Typical sub pattern: Around the 1st TV timeout Gillis comes in for TKR and Morton comes in for Jones. Same thing in the 2nd half. This is when Morton is getting the vast majority of his minutes. If during those minutes, Smith goes out (which is rare) then Jones comes in for him.

So during the majority of Morton's minutes he is on the floor with Smith/Loyer or Loyer/Jones. The only time he has been asked to be the primary ball handler is during some garbage minutes when Smith was done for the day and he played the PG with scrub time.

Since I asked the question, it's only fair I give my .02. I see Morton as primarily (during meaningful playing time) as a #3. That is also where I see Colvin right now. The difference is they play the position completely different. Colvin is a shooting #3 and Morton is a passing #3.

So I don't think it is crazy to say they play the same position, they just play that position so differently, that it doesn't seem to be the same.
I guess I'll disagree. I believe the goal is to have Loyer, Colvin and Heide never be the secondary ballhandler in the minutes that matter. In order to do so, you need two of Smith, Jones and Morton on the floor. Loyer is best equipped of the three to be a secondary ballhandler but I think Coach Painter trusts Morton more.

Reactions: Schmedly_Whiplash

Morton is the primary ball handler when smith comes out, which is not often, but when smith is out and we are not blowing out the opponent, Morton has been the one running the point.

I’m aware Morton is a combo guard and also aware of the role he’s supposed to play. Saying that Morton “handles” the ball is fairly generous, in my opinion. He makes some nice entry passes and sets up the offense but that’s about it. You lose with guards like that in March.

And yet, with all that, I still don’t think Morton makes much of a difference. Purdue is not going to win a game because of Morton, but it certainly could lose a game down the road because teams focus on Edey and dare someone like Morton to beat them.

I’m aware that Colvin is a wing and does get lost on defense—and I still think it’s worth it to give him more minutes. Painter himself admitted that Painter has been stubborn in the past, and that stubbornness has hurt Purdue at times.

Sometimes, you have to get out of being so rigid and try something new, like trial and error with different lineups. Who knows? Maybe Myles is a better ball handler than we’ve seen? Also, not getting lost on defense is something that’s much more fixable than having zero offensive game like Morton.

Also, we’ve seen Morton get lost on defense plenty of times and in big moments. For example, Cam Spencer hit a game winner against Purdue because Morton got lost and over helped.
We played Colvin minimal minutes in a few games and he really struggled...Arizona, Maryland, Tennessee....we're playing better competition now do even a few minutes of him playing can really hurt momentum...Morton has been nothing but great in his role in the big ten so far....why do you want to change that for something that may or may not work?....Painter knows what he's doing....Colvin's time is next year....

.Morton has been nothing but great in his role in the big ten so far....why do you want to change that for something that may or may not work?....Painter knows what he's doing....Colvin's time is next year....

Morton has been good on occasion. Even I have written on his good play when it happens. Turns out the slower monotonous play of certain teams in the B10 suits his defensive capabilities.

But Great?? Lol. I guess we will have to agree to disagree.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerDeac
We have been kings of the regular season three years in a row now. Painter is doing a great job with that no doubt.

Those who are advocating for more Colvin playing time are looking ahead to March where we have struggled regardless of our top kenpom rankings. It’s not unreasonable to believe a more experienced Colvin could help us on offense when the shots aren’t falling and Edey is being doubled.
We weren’t shooting 40+% in the past, we didn’t have Lance, we weren’t #1 in the country in OAdj

We literally can’t get any better offensively right now.

Let Painter coach, if we don’t make a FF this year then go ahead but until then

• Love
Reactions: Boiler Buck
You are not disagreeing with me. ;) Myles wasn't good on D in high school. I made comments months ago that he was the worst I've seen since Woody Austin as a freshman on D. Many...many...many high school players that don't get a sniff of college BBall were better defenders. That said, I'm very high on his potential and think he will get his moments. I love his stroke and that is how Matt uses him at this time

I watched several of his high school games and what struck me was that he mostly seemed disinterested in the game. I would think someone with that athletic ability would dominate. He didn't!

We all know this, defense gets you on the court for Painter, and how one practices is a very big contributing factor!

When Colvin did not get in against Michigan in the first half and into half two I thought “ Something’s happening here”. Realized thats a line from an old song. Second line from that song is, “What it is aint exactly clear”. We can guess what it is, but we really don’t know. We do know that something is not clicking between Painter and Colvin. Despite all his shortfalls on defense, mostly hunting shots on offense, showing little of that great athleticism he showed in high school so far in D-1, Painter could have given Colvin an earlier look.

Maybe it’s the fact that the one thing he has shown he could do is chunk up shots and earlier in the season he made a nice percentage. But, college coaches do this thing , they scout. It turns out in the last ten games before Michigan, Mr. Colvin was 5 for 20 from three. Maybe coach Painter knew that and put him in at the extended garbage time where he might get off more uncontested shots . I know, it’s Michigan there was not a lot of contesting. Or maybe it is about practice, yeah practice. What it is ain’t exactly clear. Hopefully Colvin can figure it out with coaches help. Meanwhile it’s good for these boards.

We played Colvin minimal minutes in a few games and he really struggled...Arizona, Maryland, Tennessee....we're playing better competition now do even a few minutes of him playing can really hurt momentum...Morton has been nothing but great in his role in the big ten so far....why do you want to change that for something that may or may not work?....Painter knows what he's doing....Colvin's time is next year....
We aren't playing better competition than Arizona and Tennessee and we won't until the tournament.

Obviously you don't know basketball if you think Colvin is out performing Morton in the limited minutes they both play....against Iowa if we would've put in Colvin at some point, Iowa might've gone on a run and we lose that lead....then who know what happens....same with Illinois....Colvin slows down our offense and gets lost on defense.....our 5 starters and Gillis rightfully play most of the minutes....the back ups should go to who is the most productive in limited minutes....that's Morton....Colvin requires extra time to get settled in...his time is next year in close games, not this year....it's like I'm trying to have a conversation with a 5 year old here....
Aren't you the guy who projected a starting lineup of Smith , Loyer, Waddell, Heide, and Edey? And if I remember right you were pretty confident.

And you have the nerve to come on here and say someone doesn't know basketball?

I guess I'll disagree. I believe the goal is to have Loyer, Colvin and Heide never be the secondary ballhandler in the minutes that matter. In order to do so, you need two of Smith, Jones and Morton on the floor. Loyer is best equipped of the three to be a secondary ballhandler but I think Coach Painter trusts Morton more.
I've watched most of the games and it is rare that Morton is on the court without two of the starters on the court. Same with Heide. As someone mentioned unless it's garbage time Morton isn't the primary handler.

Is someone suggesting we have times when our backcourt consist of the Loyer, Heide and Morton? It may have happened in garbage time, but I can't remember it. Unless we're being pressed, Smith, Loyer and Colvin would be fine. I just think guys are making things up to justify why Colvin isn't getting minutes in games in which Purdue has things totally in control.
I think it's natural to wonder what the dynamics are between a player and coach when things don't turn out as expected for a top 50-75 recruit. However, in reality it's all conjecture at this point and we're just filling in knowledge gaps with hypothesis and theories.

Morton is the primary ball handler when smith comes out, which is not often, but when smith is out and we are not blowing out the opponent, Morton has been the one running the point.
I could be wrong here, but I don't recall Morton running the point unless it was garbage time. When Smith is out during non-garbage time, Jones is in the game and bringing the ball up and starting the offense.

Reactions: SCBoiler1
Could you list the teams that we have played in conference that are better than Arizona and Tennessee?

I could be wrong here, but I don't recall Morton running the point unless it was garbage time. When Smith is out during non-garbage time, Jones is in the game and bringing the ball up and starting the offense.
I’m not advocating for Morton by any means. But he has run point with Lance in the game…it hasn’t been much since Braden doesn’t sit much. But Lance is not his best when running point so Morton runs it…May not be the best but it allows Lance to play off picks and get his open 3s, and slash.

The offense somewhat does fine (I guess?)…it’s not as good as when Braden is in. I’ve just noticed Morton running it when Braden does go out.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
yeah, that jumped out at me too, he's not great.
For limited minutes, he's doing great....for your 10th man, you don't need him jacking up 5 shots in a minute and getting lost on defense....Colvin just doesn't fit what we're doing this year...his bball iq isn't good enough because he didn't play great competition in high school...if we're down big and we have trouble scoring then maybe put Colvin in to spark something...otherwise he's out of the lineup and I'm fine with that....

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
Could you list the teams that we have played in conference that are better than Arizona and Tennessee?
I should've said better competition consistently....we're not playing buy games anymore...these conference games matter more and the team wants to win a championship...throwing Colvin in to slow down the offense and weaken our defense for 5 minutes a half doesn't help winning on the road....he's just not ready....

I have seen several posters who believe Colvin's time will be next year. Don't see it, unless he improves. Hope that happens. We will see?

Spot minute player this year. Would have to up his game for that to change next year. But yes, I love his shot. Ohh so pretty. Thing of beauty. But currently, seems to stand around on O alot & ball sticks when he has it. So there has to be improvement on BOTH sides of the ball.

Aren't you the guy who projected a starting lineup of Smith , Loyer, Waddell, Heide, and Edey? And if I remember right you were pretty confident.

And you have the nerve to come on here and say someone doesn't know basketball?
Yep...I said we should've played that lineup but I was worried about jones backing up smith and having no other ball handler, but Morton has proven to be an adequate backup for smith....I was high on jones but worried about backup pg minutes which Morton has filled....heide is a 4....he's playing spot minutes at the 3 right now but next year he's a 4....Painter is dead set on playing tkr at the 4 which has been successful for the most part but Gillis has been so good that tkr doesn't really log a ton of minutes there....we'll see in the tourney when we play smaller teams that are quick tkr won't play much 4 at all....we always have heide there as an option if we need him....Waddell has been getting the shaft this year on pt....he's better than Colvin and probably heide but Painter wants a shooter at the 3 for those backup 5 to 10 minutes which heide gives....Waddell hasn't shown great shooting yet...he's got incredible ability that hopefully we will see next year but once again we're going to have a logjam at the 3 with heide, catchings, and Colvin....Painter is erring on the side of potential one day so Waddell is the odd man out...he's still a great player which the end of the Michigan game showed....

I have seen several posters who believe Colvin's time will be next year. Don't see it, unless he improves. Hope that happens. We will see?

Spot minute player this year. Would have to up his game for that to change next year. But yes, I love his shot. Ohh so pretty. Thing of beauty. But currently, seems to stand around on O alot & ball sticks when he has it. So there has to be improvement on BOTH sides of the ball.
It's hard to break 12 years of bad defensive habits in one offseason. But it can be done in two IMO. Look at the progress guys like Raphael Davis and Dakota Mathias, two guys who couldn't guard a chair when they got here, made with time in the program.

Multiple times. Mostly when Braden is dragging and Lance has been on the floor enough.

I would suggest that Colvin is a shooting 3 and Morton is a defensive 3. Ethan is a better defender than he is ball handler.

When Colvin did not get in against Michigan in the first half and into half two I thought “ Something’s happening here”. Realized thats a line from an old song. Second line from that song is, “What it is aint exactly clear”. We can guess what it is, but we really don’t know. We do know that something is not clicking between Painter and Colvin. Despite all his shortfalls on defense, mostly hunting shots on offense, showing little of that great athleticism he showed in high school so far in D-1, Painter could have given Colvin an earlier look.

Maybe it’s the fact that the one thing he has shown he could do is chunk up shots and earlier in the season he made a nice percentage. But, college coaches do this thing , they scout. It turns out in the last ten games before Michigan, Mr. Colvin was 5 for 20 from three. Maybe coach Painter knew that and put him in at the extended garbage time where he might get off more uncontested shots . I know, it’s Michigan there was not a lot of contesting. Or maybe it is about practice, yeah practice. What it is ain’t exactly clear. Hopefully Colvin can figure it out with coaches help. Meanwhile it’s good for these boards.
Showing your age

It's hard to break 12 years of bad defensive habits in one offseason. But it can be done in two IMO. Look at the progress guys like Raphael Davis and Dakota Mathias, two guys who couldn't guard a chair when they got here, made with time in the program.
I’m sure this will be unpopular but from what I’ve seen, Myles currently plays kinda nonchalant and thus doesn’t fit into the defensive and offensive schemes that well right now. He’s got a ton of athleticism and potential but I feel he’s struggling with team play. I’m sure he’s frustrated with his playing time but doesn’t appear to have turned that into motivation to increase effort to learn team concepts and improve hustle. He’s in a tough position of being the lone freshman (young) trying to adapt to D1 B1G play on a talented top experienced team with complex schemes on both sides of the ball. He’s got a SWEET stroke and can score without a doubt so if he can manage to improve his ability to fit the team performance the coaches will notice and should increase his opportunities.

Mental aspect has gotta be tough! Only he and his support system know how he will deal with this. He can stick around and redouble his efforts for potential opportunities this and next year if that’s how he’s wired or he may choose to take his talents elsewhere in his attempt/desire to increase opportunities and playing time.

As Boilermaker fans I know most of us are all hoping he sticks around next year and are looking forward to seeing him reach his potential as a basketball player and a well rounded successful young man!!! BTFU! 🖤💛🏀

Reactions: DrEss
I’m sure this will be unpopular but from what I’ve seen, Myles currently plays kinda nonchalant and thus doesn’t fit into the defensive and offensive schemes that well right now. He’s got a ton of athleticism and potential but I feel he’s struggling with team play. I’m sure he’s frustrated with his playing time but doesn’t appear to have turned that into motivation to increase effort to learn team concepts and improve hustle. He’s in a tough position of being the lone freshman (young) trying to adapt to D1 B1G play on a talented top experienced team with complex schemes on both sides of the ball. He’s got a SWEET stroke and can score without a doubt so if he can manage to improve his ability to fit the team performance the coaches will notice and should increase his opportunities.

Mental aspect has gotta be tough! Only he and his support system know how he will deal with this. He can stick around and redouble his efforts for potential opportunities this and next year if that’s how he’s wired or he may choose to take his talents elsewhere in his attempt/desire to increase opportunities and playing time.

As Boilermaker fans I know most of us are all hoping he sticks around next year and are looking forward to seeing him reach his potential as a basketball player and a well rounded successful young man!!! BTFU! 🖤💛🏀
Exactly. As the only true freshman on the roster, I'm sure he probably gets "coached" more than anyone else in practice and that can be a struggle for someone who, frankly, has always been able to rely on his athleticism and thus doesn't appear to have developed the requisite work ethic as yet. I think he will get there. He's very young even for his class if I remember right.

Agreed. I have to believe that the entire coaching staff and the veterans are telling him what he needs to do to get more playing time. For whatever reason, it isn't happening. But with the talent coming in, there is no guarantee that next year will be his year to shine if that light switch doesn't turn on.

Agreed. I have to believe that the entire coaching staff and the veterans are telling him what he needs to do to get more playing time. For whatever reason, it isn't happening. But with the talent coming in, there is no guarantee that next year will be his year to shine if that light switch doesn't turn on.
Most of us don't expect it, but if the guards coming in don't handle pressure as well as anticipated, then Brian's strengths are amplified. We can't just look at individual pieces as I know you understand, but what are the particular needs at the time whether inside a particular game or next year? Actually, that time would be now if he shot better...which in my opinion generally starts with better mechanics in the shot.

BTW, notice how many times a pass not put where it is needed affects the shot. A pass too low or too high (mostly behind the arc is my example, but true elsewhere) causing the shooter to lose time in gathering the shot, but also magnifies the importance of always bringing the ball no matter where it is thrown into the chest to start the alignment before the lift...and why it is good IMO that when players are paired up in shooting (if and when that happens) that some intentional passes are thrown low, to the side and up high to practice bringing it into the chest since the game like conditions result in the same scenario. Personally, I'm a bit surprised that Brian's mechanics aren't a little bit better,

Most of us don't expect it, but if the guards coming in don't handle pressure as well as anticipated, then Brian's strengths are amplified. We can't just look at individual pieces as I know you understand, but what are the particular needs at the time whether inside a particular game or next year? Actually, that time would be now if he shot better...which in my opinion generally starts with better mechanics in the shot.

BTW, notice how many times a pass not put where it is needed affects the shot. A pass too low or too high (mostly behind the arc is my example, but true elsewhere) causing the shooter to lose time in gathering the shot, but also magnifies the importance of always bringing the ball no matter where it is thrown into the chest to start the alignment before the lift...and why it is good IMO that when players are paired up in shooting (if and when that happens) that some intentional passes are thrown low, to the side and up high to practice bringing it into the chest since the game like conditions result in the same scenario. Personally, I'm a bit surprised that Brian's mechanics aren't a little bit better,
Appreciate the input on BW, but Andy was agreeing with and commenting on a post about Myles I believe.

That dog won’t hunt ! Loyer is terrible on defense and Smith is only ok. If it’s about defense Morton should be playing over Loyer. And we all know Morton can’t start because of no offense. So come up with another reason Colvin doesn’t play
I would like to see more minutes as well, but Loyer is okay on defense. Colvin just gets lost on defense. There is a difference. For some reason he likes Morton on defense in certain situations. Painter watches Colvin in practice every day, we don’t.

Colvin is not getting the minutes because it's Lance Jones is having a big impact on this team next year is myles year

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT