ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

Eh….Loyer going 0 fer …AND getting torched on D….
Has that happened often tho? And if Lance and Braden are doing well, we are most likely in a good spot. Loyer is still a threat from deep so, while so is Colvin, at this point, Loyer knows spacing and how the offense operates better. Loyer is also a much better free throw shooter, so I’d assume he’d be in during late game scenarios for that.

Let me also say, I want to see more Colvin too. I have some gut feeling we are going to need him for a stretch in the tourney…could be 2 min, could be 8 for one or multiple games….but if we hope to make a deep run, I feel he is somehow going to play a part in it…could be a small one. But I feel we will need him and I hope he will be ready.

Not often, but it has happened.
The dude is shooting 55% from three in conference play and in pretty good volume. He's a much better defender than Colvin. Don't get me wrong I like Myles a lot a lot, but Loyer should no way shape or form be in this conversation. The dude has hit big shot after big shot, stretches the D, and has more experience. He is a big game guy and he's locked in as a 4 year starter. Teams would lie, cheat, and steal for an off guard like Fletch.

Looking, Painter has 0 respect for my forum credentials. I am an All American here. I have a 2:1 post to like ratio and over 110 trophy points. I think I know a thing or two.
One of my recent posts about Purdue basketball received over 450 likes and hearts in a Purdue facebook group. Yet posters here question if I have ever said anything positive about Painter snd Purdue basketball. On this board, it’s not what you say that counts but rather what your posting name is that matters.

Reactions: Boilerball3
And that's where I said I think Painter has a plan. I highly doubt it's what you suggest because he's not that type of person. Didn't Painter say something like having "1 more" before signing Harris? I don't think he can't count to 13.
I would agree with this. Painter knows how to count and would never over recruit. I have to believe he already knows and an agreement was already made before he signed Harris.

2 scenarios I could see. I could see Furst leaving if he got a package deal for his brother to get a scholarship. I could also see Furst becoming a walkon and being paid for all his Purdue basketball promos he does! Maybe Furst is getting some money for his awesome acting ability! The Furst is on the shelf! I could see a sequel in the making.

As for Gillis coming back, it would be nice but we have several new 4’s arriving next year and it would generate the same discussion as to we need to give his minutes to Catching or Burgess or somebody.

The scenario for Colvin is a tourney game where we are struggling to hit shots from outside and we need someone to get hot on offense and where defense is less of a concern.

Right now Colvin is an advanced offensive player and a beginner defensive player. So his utility would seem to be in games where the former outweighs the latter significantly.

Let’s start with the seniors, no one is coming back , would really screw up the recruiting with the players coming in. Let’s get the Loyer is better defensively than anyone - he is terrible on defense but has Edey backing him up when he gets bullied on the post- I agree Colvin is not helping this year but disagree about his free throw shooting- 8 free throws for a year isn’t something to reputation. And not sure who would be leaving for a chance to play major minutes elsewhere- most of our bench would be starting or playing a lot on most teams.

They’re brothers, not Siamese twins. They are different individuals who may want to do their own thing, or, they might want a year to play together. We will see.

That said, for as highly touted/recruited Furst was, he might feel his college career/performance has been underwhelming and may seek a larger role somewhere else, like Haarms.
Then again, he can change his status if so desired. Caleb needs to improve his skill...particularly shooting which can be turned around. It would also help if he could improve his dribble in explosiveness and yet only needed for two or three dribbles. Next year he could see more minutes?

Caleb is a good athlete that runs the court very well ...good on the boards and defense in general. Can running the court be a bigger thing next year? Yes, but there are times this year it could be exploited...some. I expect Catchings to play and can see next years team more up and down. In theory it should help a guy that runs the court well. Still, if he just works on his shooting...he will gather many more minutes next year. What we also do not know is how important is it to Caleb?

Cool so who's scholarship will he pull then? And no one said he will pull anyone's scholarship. He can simply have the talk to someone or he could ASK if they are willing.
About that, I am ignorant. Just like you. He will likely not "pull" anyone's scholarship.

About that, I am ignorant. Just like you. He will likely not "pull" anyone's scholarship.
This isn't a big deal. He oversigned, that comes with consequences but those are easily mitigated in one of several ways none of them require anywhere near the level of needless hyper moralizing going on here.

Oh no, a rich kid's dad might help out. OMG we might use NIL to compensate for a scholarship. The horror.

It happens all over the country

Scholarships are year by year

If you’ve played college sports you’d understand. You’re not guaranteed a scholarship your sophomore year just because you got recruited and got one as a fresh.
I did play college sports. And it doesn't matter what other schools are doing. Yes, notably, Crean did what some of you are suggesting. Painter doesn't do it. It's not part of the culture he has established.

One of my recent posts about Purdue basketball received over 450 likes and hearts in a Purdue facebook group. Yet posters here question if I have ever said anything positive about Painter snd Purdue basketball. On this board, it’s not what you say that counts but rather what your posting name is that matters.
Please repost for us to see!

The scenario for Colvin is a tourney game where we are struggling to hit shots from outside and we need someone to get hot on offense and where defense is less of a concern.

Right now Colvin is an advanced offensive player and a beginner defensive player. So his utility would seem to be in games where the former outweighs the latter significantly.
Yes, agree. I have posted similar to this. I think we will need him in a spot in order to be successful in the tourney. Hope CMP utilizes him then if needed

Omg, this scholarship conversation seriously hurts my brain.

Waddell is almost certainly gone, and/or Furst. Waddell continues to get no minutes except when the bench is being cleared, and that's not getting any better moving into next year with the talent coming in and Colvin already getting more minutes than he is.

First has started before and will likely start a long TKR next year because Painter values experience more than almost anything else.

Stop spinning plans about guys staying on roster but dropping their scholly. There's zero chance that happens

This isn't a big deal. He oversigned, that comes with consequences but those are easily mitigated in one of several ways none of them require anywhere near the level of needless hyper moralizing going on here.

Oh no, a rich kid's dad might help out. OMG we might use NIL to compensate for a scholarship. The horror.
Simply, Painter won't do it.

I did play college sports. And it doesn't matter what other schools are doing. Yes, notably, Crean did what some of you are suggesting. Painter doesn't do it. It's not part of the culture he has established.
First of all, that's a totally different time. There was no portal, there was no NIL, and none of the players he "Creaned" had rich parents. So you're operating under a mindset that it's still 2005.

First of all, that's a totally different time. There was no portal, there was no NIL, and none of the players he "Creaned" had rich parents. So you're operating under a mindset that it's still 2005.
And you are being overly dramatic about something which you are totally ignorant.

Wait and see.

And you are being overly dramatic about something which you are totally ignorant.

Wait and see.
lol project much? So which is it? You're totally ignorant about what's going on like you posted just awhile ago or you have some inside info like you are trying to project here?

The only people being melodramatic are the folks clutching their pearls at the very idea that Painter might operate in the present instead of the past. And if he's NOT willing to use NIL in that fashion then he's hamstringing himself for no reason. It's not even to the advantage of the student to say a scholarship is worth more than NIL that would be worth MORE than that scholarship because of...morals.

lol project much? So which is it? You're totally ignorant about what's going on like you posted just awhile ago or you have some inside info like you are trying to project here?

The only people being melodramatic are the folks clutching their pearls at the very idea that Painter might operate in the present instead of the past. And if he's NOT willing to use NIL in that fashion then he's hamstringing himself for no reason. It's not even to the advantage of the student to say a scholarship is worth more than NIL that would be worth MORE than that scholarship because of...morals.
sigh...
Just wait and see.

Let’s start with the seniors, no one is coming back , would really screw up the recruiting with the players coming in. Let’s get the Loyer is better defensively than anyone - he is terrible on defense but has Edey backing him up when he gets bullied on the post- I agree Colvin is not helping this year but disagree about his free throw shooting- 8 free throws for a year isn’t something to reputation. And not sure who would be leaving for a chance to play major minutes elsewhere- most of our bench would be starting or playing a lot on most teams.
Loyer is better than Colvin defensively right now. If you can’t see that, you aren’t watching.

Then again, he can change his status if so desired. Caleb needs to improve his skill...particularly shooting which can be turned around. It would also help if he could improve his dribble in explosiveness and yet only needed for two or three dribbles. Next year he could see more minutes?

Caleb is a good athlete that runs the court very well ...good on the boards and defense in general. Can running the court be a bigger thing next year? Yes, but there are times this year it could be exploited...some. I expect Catchings to play and can see next years team more up and down. In theory it should help a guy that runs the court well. Still, if he just works on his shooting...he will gather many more minutes next year. What we also do not know is how important is it to Caleb?
Hard to drastically improve shooting in one season. Realistically, it would take a fairly significant overhaul of his form, as his current shot is fairly flat. I’d expect that to take a few years. Also, some people are naturally better shooters than others. They just have natural touch and depth perception.

sigh...
Just wait and see.
Love folks on the internet who are coy about knowing more than anyone else. And it doesn't matter what ends up happening in this particular case. The point is there is nothing wrong with some of the options laid out except to people who are being hypermoralists and living 20 years ago.

I'm in the Colvin should get more of Morton mins camp mainly due to Colvin showing he is very capable of coming in and providing an offensive spark. Obviously when we're cooking, it doesn't really matter. I just want him to be comfortable so when March rolls around and we can't hit the broad side of a barn, then we can get Colvin out there and let him do his thang. I have PTSD from the last 2 tournament offensive debacles.

All that being said, and trying to stay levelheaded, Morton appears to be one of our better ballhandlers, and I think that's probably a good reason he gets more mins than Colvin.

Hard to drastically improve shooting in one season. Realistically, it would take a fairly significant overhaul of his form, as his current shot is fairly flat. I’d expect that to take a few years. Also, some people are naturally better shooters than others. They just have natural touch and depth perception.
I don't share that thought. It definitely can be done over a summer. I was there when Ernie Hobbie drastically improved Mike Robinson's shot in an hour, but MIke didn't practice it enough for muscle memory. Zo improved his shot in the summer before his junior year. It can be done.

Now, none of this suggests he will shoot like Fletcher, Myles, Braden whoever...because first of all he is very tall that leads to imperfections being magnified with his arms and legs mostly and the weight of the head and center of gravity being much higher that leads to less stability. However, he can be a threat to 15 feet to make a lot and could extend it past that. He could improve enough for shooting to not be as big of a handicap. I've seen players that I didn't know went to a shooting camp that I saw right after the camp and walked up to them and asked if they went to Dick Baumgartner's camp because I could tell in the mechanics. It can be done, but a person has to want to practice the right things and that player will "improve" enough that we can see a difference. Look at how horrible Nojels shot was and how a manager just worked with him at the line where it was not an automatic miss, but think it jumped to around 2 out of 3 and that was a student manager.

No, shooting is one of the things that can be improved. Look at players from miles away and notice that athletes many times are not as good a shooter as non athletes. We have seen this even in Purdue shooters. I believe that happens because athletes are so athletic that there wasn't the work put into shooting to be effective and score. Non athletes on the other hand need more skill since they don't have the athletic ability to score absent the skill. Both suggest that shooting can be improved. Now, I've stated "why" I believe shooting can be improved and gave examples of that with Nojel and with Zo as well as a summary of generalities of athletes and skilled players in general.

Why do you believe it can't be improved? What is it that makes it difficult to believe?

I was under the impression that as part of the creation of the power 5 that schools were required to offer basketball and football players 4 year scholarships and they could not rescind them except for cause! I posted a few links several years ago on the subject/rules. This was a criteria for a conference to be labeled as a power 5 conference. Students would no longer be offered 1 year scholarships and their scholarships could not be rescinded. That was part of the reason coaches like Painter never offered more scholarships than he was allowed.

Under the power 5 conference rule, the only way a player could lose his scholarship is if he voluntarily decided to give it up. This is what started the conversation and implementation of coaches having “the talk” with players to voluntarily give up their scholarship and leave.

As for players transferring via the portal, it’s not usually the last guy on the bench that leaves. If you had a scholarship to Purdue and were last on the bench, would you give it up to go to Indiana Wesleyan? Doubtful. If

That’s why I said earlier that Painter, unlike other coaches doesn’t over recruit. In signing Harris, Painter already knew someone is leaving. And that player already agreed prior to Harris signing. If you recall before signing Harris, Painter alluded to knowing what our scholarship limit was and hinted he knew a way around it or knew something we didn’t and the limit wouldn’t be a problem.

The Boilers are #1 in the country in adjusted offense efficiency, 11th in adjusted defense efficiency.

All of you Colvin needs to play more because his offense and who cares if he can't guard a wet paper bag........Please explain how we need more offense and less defense???

I think CMP is coaching his best season EVER

We know that Painter is a straight shooter with recruits and doesn’t offer unreasonable expectations. He’s said he tells them they will have the opportunity to EARN playing time based on performance and picking up team based offensive and defensive schemes. If you prove you are one of the top 3 (4) players they will (might) run some things for you. Otherwise you have to capitalize on what presents itself in the offense.
I’m sure it’s hard to adapt to D1 from high school and from being the best on the team/court to being a piece in the overall plan. Myles is very talented and athletic and the only true freshman trying to adapt this year. This appears to be progressing slower than the fan base anticipated or wants. Either that or he’s not fully bought into biding his time while learning in a role players role. In either case , he seems to be the tenth man on a team that has found a 9 man rotation but that has twelve players capable of/deserving of minutes on the court.
My take from the game yesterday in what he mouthed is he’s having a difficult time adjusting/accepting this and he might be frustrated and a little angry. Hopefully all settles down and he gets where he needs to be and he carves out a role for future years.
Want to see Myles succeed as a BOILERMAKER!
Boiler Up! 🖤💛🏀
You can't be a big dog without expecting to be the man. Confidence is always part of it. For good AND bad.

I don't think that many would argue with that.
Sure we would. Morton mostly only plays when they need to slow someone down that is hurting us.
Colvin isn't doing that.

I was under the impression that as part of the creation of the power 5 that schools were required to offer basketball and football players 4 year scholarships and they could not rescind them except for cause! I posted a few links several years ago on the subject/rules. This was a criteria for a conference to be labeled as a power 5 conference. Students would no longer be offered 1 year scholarships and their scholarships could not be rescinded. That was part of the reason coaches like Painter never offered more scholarships than he was allowed.

Under the power 5 conference rule, the only way a player could lose his scholarship is if he voluntarily decided to give it up. This is what started the conversation and implementation of coaches having “the talk” with players to voluntarily give up their scholarship and leave.

As for players transferring via the portal, it’s not usually the last guy on the bench that leaves. If you had a scholarship to Purdue and were last on the bench, would you give it up to go to Indiana Wesleyan? Doubtful. If

That’s why I said earlier that Painter, unlike other coaches doesn’t over recruit. In signing Harris, Painter already knew someone is leaving. And that player already agreed prior to Harris signing. If you recall before signing Harris, Painter alluded to knowing what our scholarship limit was and hinted he knew a way around it or knew something we didn’t and the limit wouldn’t be a problem.
Again, no one is saying Painter is going to rescind anything. There are all sorts of alternatives a coach can use that would result in a scholarship being voluntarily given up. NIL. Rich parents. Or "the talk" where it's made clear a player is not going to get playing time the next season and thus "encouraging" them to leave. (Which is just a euphemism because almost any player will go if told they aren't going to play next season so that's morally and effectively causing a scholarship to be rescinded even if it isn't technically that.)

And yes, it's still overrecruiting. What if said player's plans fall through and he changes his mind mid season? I have no idea why people don't merely need Painter to be a decent dude, which he is, but some absolute paragon of all that is good and holy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT