ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

Loyer and Jones have played better since Nebraska and bench has shortened it seems to 9, he should get some minutes don't disagree there especially need offense boost.

Reactions: Schnelk
That dog won’t hunt ! Loyer is terrible on defense and Smith is only ok. If it’s about defense Morton should be playing over Loyer. And we all know Morton can’t start because of no offense. So come up with another reason Colvin doesn’t play
Preach brother!

This is it I think also, he is still getting lost on that side of the ball. Offense isn't the problem
He’s not gonna get any better not getting any meaningful game minutes. This is the time to let him play and acclimate and learn in a game situation.

He’s too talented to not give minutes. Can’t have another Newman situation.

We are 10,000 miles from this being a Newman situation. He's a starter next year 100%
Yea, holy overreactions Batman lol. Kids a true Frosh playing for a top 5 team, heaven forbid he has to buy his time. Colvin likely is a starter next year, can’t believe people are bitching about this in a 32 point blowout, only 5 guys can play.

That dog won’t hunt ! Loyer is terrible on defense and Smith is only ok. If it’s about defense Morton should be playing over Loyer. And we all know Morton can’t start because of no offense. So come up with another reason Colvin doesn’t play
I don't know that Loyer is terrible on defense in that he's generally where he is supposed to be. His issue is he doesn't have the quickness or size to stay in front of a good guard so he can be abused pretty badly in the wrong matchups. Morton doesn't have the quickness but he does have the size and great hands on defense.

Colvin is often not even in the right place on defense. That's a problem that can compound pretty quickly.

I'd have loved him play a little bit in the first half just to keep him in the game but he came in engaged so either he's fine or he was usefully angry which is also fine.

IF he gets angry enough to leave well it happens. Someone was always going to get the short stick on minutes.

He gone . Why stick around when you can’t see the floor in a first half blowout. Some team is going to get a really good player and we will keep losing in the tournament cause em we lack athleticism
He’s likely next years Lance Jones, if he can’t handle buying his time as a Frosh than he should leave, my guess is that’s not the case.

I don't know that Loyer is terrible on defense in that he's generally where he is supposed to be. His issue is he doesn't have the quickness or size to stay in front of a good guard so he can be abused pretty badly in the wrong matchups. Morton doesn't have the quickness but he does have the size and great hands on defense.

Colvin is often not even in the right place on defense. That's a problem that can compound pretty quickly.

I'd have loved him play a little bit in the first half just to keep him in the game but he came in engaged so either he's fine or he was usefully angry which is also fine.

IF he gets angry enough to leave well it happens. Someone was always going to get the short stick on minutes.
He’s likely a starter next year, only 5 guys can play at a time, I can’t believe there’s some complaining about this. Not everyone can play, I’m sure Waddell would like a few minutes on occasion, Berg as well, can’t play everyone.

Heide not going to start next year? Catchings not going to start? Just not sure you can say Colvin is 100% a starter. You know Smith and Loyer are starting.
My guess is first game Furst/TKR/Colvin/Loyer/Smith…only 5 can start, I doubt true Frosh day 1 are starting. Look, it’s possible more than just 1 guy leave, it’s possible 2 or maybe 3 split, that happens everywhere.

I get what you're saying, so I'll just say Painter wants to see defensive maturity and commitment to his schemes and overall defensive positioning he harps on to these guys. Colvin still gets lost and out of place more times than he should. Painter's not going to penalize you for physical limitations- i.e. Loyer getting burned by a quicker guard because of speed or not getting a defensive rebound because of his height.

It prob stinks for Colvin because he sees Heide has done a better job with this and Painter is rewarding him. But Colvin just needs to keep grinding, he's still learning and is going to be an awesome starter for Purdue next year assuming he shows some maturity on the defensive side.

He’s likely a starter next year, only 5 guys can play at a time, I can’t believe there’s some complaining about this. Not everyone can play, I’m sure Waddell would like a few minutes on occasion, Berg as well, can’t play everyone.
I don't know that he's likely a starter. I could easily see a lineup of Smith, Loyer, Heide, Gillis and TKR being the most likely starting five.

But certainly he will improve as most players do, and as he gets better on defense, he will get more time. Pretty clear there's a direct correlation there.

I don't know that he's likely a starter. I could easily see a lineup of Smith, Loyer, Heide, Gillis and TKR being the most likely starting five.

But certainly he will improve as most players do, and as he gets better on defense, he will get more time. Pretty clear there's a direct correlation there.
Gillis won’t be here next year.

My guess is first game Furst/TKR/Colvin/Loyer/Smith…only 5 can start, I doubt true Frosh day 1 are starting. Look, it’s possible more than just 1 guy leave, it’s possible 2 or maybe 3 split, that happens everywhere.
He said 100% Colvin is starting next year. My counter is if that's the case then neither Catchings or heide are starting. No way you can say 100% he is starting.

Gillis isn't coming back... (but I agree he might not start). Catchings will probably be where you have Gillis..

Reactions: Schnelk
Strength is the number one issue for Loyer in my opinion. Needs to find the weight room , pretty obvious he hasn’t found it. Everyone should have his role , Loyer is a great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin is the better athlete, Loyer better ballhandler

The only way to learn and get better is to play. It is not rocket science. It's a 30-point blow out. He should have gotten 15+ minutes this game and should be getting more of Morton's minutes.
We know what Morton will give in his 15 minutes. May a couple of points and a rebound max per game. Colvin is ceiling is much much higher and getting him minutes could help us finally beat a double seated team for once...

Next year’s starters are Smith Loyer Heide Catchings and Renn ? Pretty small lineup just don’t see it. Furst ,Renn , Catchings , Heide and Smith would be more like it

Gillis isn't coming back... (but I agree he might not start). Catchings will probably be where you have Gillis..
My buddies daughter sort of runs in the same circles with Gilles, supposedly he would love to play his Covid year, interesting scenario, so do you tell him he’s done here if he wants to play?

Next year’s starters are Smith Loyer Heide Catchings and Renn ? Pretty small lineup just don’t see it. Furst ,Renn , Catchings , Heide and Smith would be more like it
Unless Furst gets better hands there is no way he's starting over anyone... Berg might start over him... but I think Catchings is bigger than you think and a 4 not a 3..

Agree 100%. Cannot understand with this lead not resting some guys and more importantly, giving Colvin and Heide minutes. I would be very frustrated if I were Colvin. Is he getting the Brandon Newman treatment?
Newman treatment? Are you implying that Painter misused Newman? I've checked out his Western Kentucky play. He's playing a lot more against much lower competition, but isn't exactly tearing it up. 25 minutes a game, 10.5 ppg and shooting 30% from the 3. Pretty much Newman's Freshman year stats at PU.

Probably... unless more Xfer out than expected... they're already oversigned by 1 for next year..
If Mason were to return that would mean Furst would likely be gone, move TKR to center and play Mason at the 4. I mean it could come down to that if what my buddy told me is accurate, it might not be, who knows. I do know this, if Gilles hit the portal a ton of schools would love to have him.

If Mason were to return that would mean Furst would likely be gone, move TKR to center and play Mason at the 4. I mean it could come down to that if what my buddy told me is accurate, it might not be, who knows. I do know this, if Gilles hit the portal a ton of schools would love to have him.
Yeah, if Furst leaves (and someone else), then its a no-brainer to keep Gillis if he wants to stay..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT