ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

Heide is getting more minutes as the season progresses. He averages 12.3, Morton 13.1. Early in the year Morton was getting 15-20, so his have gone down while Heide is playing more. If Heide gets better and better on defense and can feed the post ( not easy when the bees are swarming around Edey) he will take more minutes. Colvin is not playing good defense, does not really participate in the offense other than to look for his shot ( may be ok because that’s his role) and does not look to feed the post when he is playing when Zach Is in. I don’t know if Colvin ever plays at the same time as Zach on offense in practice to drill on feeding the post.
Early, Morton never was consistently playing 15-20 minutes. First eight games which included Iowa, he only had three games of 15 or more minutes. His minutes per game have increased slightly since Iowa. Since the Iowa game, Heide’s minutes have decreased slightly. And he only played more minutes than Morton one game. Heide played more minutes early in season.

But you're not the first to question it or state it and it's a bunch of crap. Would anyone say that if we didn't all know who his dad is? And does anyone really know what their family's financial situation is? I doubt it.
Someone has to go off scholarship and he's the person who plays the least AND appears to have the ability to afford college without a scholarship. so why is it crap to assume he might be a likely subject?

Painter likes his M. Not changing, so this is all hypothetical BS lol.....

But since we are just discussing alternatives, I think Colvin on his good days, can keep up scoring wise or even do better with most guys, during his minutes.....IF given a chance. He has not really been given a nice 10-15 run yet.

Even if M has a good game (rare), he will likely never outscore guys he defends.
Based on what
Early, Morton never was consistently playing 15-20 minutes. First eight games which included Iowa, he only had three games of 15 or more minutes. His minutes per game have increased slightly since Iowa. Since the Iowa game, Heide’s minutes have decreased slightly. And he only played more minutes than Morton one game. Heide played more minutes early in season.
ok I stand corrected.

Did anyone notice Colvin appeared to say "give me the f****** ball" after he hit his first three?? My daughter brought it to my attention.
I heard that too. Freshman wanting more opportunities.

Someone has to go off scholarship and he's the person who plays the least AND appears to have the ability to afford college without a scholarship. so why is it crap to assume he might be a likely subject?
You really think Matt Painter is going to go to a kid he recruited, the son of a guy that he PLAYED with, and suggest to him that because his daddy makes a lot of money, he should drop down to a walk-on because he's not good enough?

That idea is ridiculous.

Reactions: Boiler Buck
We know that Painter is a straight shooter with recruits and doesn’t offer unreasonable expectations. He’s said he tells them they will have the opportunity to EARN playing time based on performance and picking up team based offensive and defensive schemes. If you prove you are one of the top 3 (4) players they will (might) run some things for you. Otherwise you have to capitalize on what presents itself in the offense.
I’m sure it’s hard to adapt to D1 from high school and from being the best on the team/court to being a piece in the overall plan. Myles is very talented and athletic and the only true freshman trying to adapt this year. This appears to be progressing slower than the fan base anticipated or wants. Either that or he’s not fully bought into biding his time while learning in a role players role. In either case , he seems to be the tenth man on a team that has found a 9 man rotation but that has twelve players capable of/deserving of minutes on the court.
My take from the game yesterday in what he mouthed is he’s having a difficult time adjusting/accepting this and he might be frustrated and a little angry. Hopefully all settles down and he gets where he needs to be and he carves out a role for future years.
Want to see Myles succeed as a BOILERMAKER!
Boiler Up! 🖤💛🏀

We know that Painter is a straight shooter with recruits and doesn’t offer unreasonable expectations. He’s said he tells them they will have the opportunity to EARN playing time based on performance and picking up team based offensive and defensive schemes. If you prove you are one of the top 3 (4) players they will (might) run some things for you. Otherwise you have to capitalize on what presents itself in the offense.
I’m sure it’s hard to adapt to D1 from high school and from being the best on the team/court to being a piece in the overall plan. Myles is very talented and athletic and the only true freshman trying to adapt this year. This appears to be progressing slower than the fan base anticipated or wants. Either that or he’s not fully bought into biding his time while learning in a role players role. In either case , he seems to be the tenth man on a team that has found a 9 man rotation but that has twelve players capable of/deserving of minutes on the court.
My take from the game yesterday in what he mouthed is he’s having a difficult time adjusting/accepting this and he might be frustrated and a little angry. Hopefully all settles down and he gets where he needs to be and he carves out a role for future years.
Want to see Myles succeed as a BOILERMAKER!
Boiler Up! 🖤💛🏀
I wish I knew who had the ball when he thought it should have been passed to him? He has a lot to absorb for the only true freshman on the team…especially a team as good as Purdue. I posted months ago he would be a better player at Purdue than Jaden due to his stroke. Nothing has changed my perspective. His contributions have just been slower than I expected. I do see progress and there is about a third of the season to go

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
I wish I knew who had the ball when he thought it should have been passed to him? He has a lot to absorb for the only true freshman on the team…especially a team as good as Purdue. I posted months ago he would be a better player at Purdue than Jaden due to his stroke. Nothing has changed my perspective. His contributions have just been slower than I expected. I do see progress and there is about a third of the season to go

You really think Matt Painter is going to go to a kid he recruited, the son of a guy that he PLAYED with, and suggest to him that because his daddy makes a lot of money, he should drop down to a walk-on because he's not good enough?

That idea is ridiculous.
Not as ridiculous as Painter telling said recruit he has to leave because we're out of scholarships. Someone has to give it up. Maybe big dog pays for Harris?

That's even more ridiculous because they don't have a relationship. I think Painter knows something we don't know. And I'm fine with that.
I know, but Big dog does have a relationship with Purdue. Probably be some type of violation, but couldn't he pay because he wants to help Purdue and at the same time start a relationship with his son?

This isn't college basketball of the 90's

It is 100% business now. With the state of our program, if Painter doesn't see him as a player that can contribute towards a national championship, I could see Painter having that convo.
BS. You don't recruit a kid as a scholarship player and then tell him you are pulling his scholarship because you didn't manage your recruiting. And because some entitled fans feel they deserve a Final Four. Even in the 21st Century.

Reactions: tjreese
Because it's unethical. And Painter doesn't do unethical things.

In a blowout like last night we definitely need guys like Heide and Colvin to play. However, Colvin is still clueless on D. He is lazy. Always has been but he was able to make up for his laziness with athleticism in highschool... I think that's why he sat. He is probably supposed to b working more on his defense in games like this but he absolutely is not focused on that side of the ball... IMO CMP is making him understand that if he's simply not going to play D he is going to sit... I also think its not so much about his lack of defensive understanding but his effort... He just doesn't seem to give much effort on that side... IMO that's why CMP isn't playing him as much... Believe me I was talking about how CMP doesn't have a track record of playing guys in games like these like I've thought he should. However, it's quite obvious what's going on here... Colvin really needs to start putting in effort defensively or he simply will be too much of a liability regardless of how athletic and good of a shooter he can be... Karl Anthony Towns scored 62 points the other day in a loss and was benched most of the 4th for this exact reason...
Also,
Interesting you bring that up, I’ve been wondering if Gillis was going to use his Covid year. I would if I was him.He’ll have his pick of pretty much any school in the nation should he use it.
Yes, I brought it up because I heard he would like to play, free school, NIL money, why not? My guess it won’t be at Purdue if this is true, he’ll have a big selection of schools to pick from if Purdue can’t fit him in, no way he plays as a Walk On, someone would have to leave, guessing it would be Furst.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Also,
Yes, I brought it up because I heard he would like to play, free school, NIL money, why not? My guess it won’t be at Purdue if this is true, he’ll have a big selection of schools to pick from if Purdue can’t fit him in, no way he plays as a Walk On, someone would have to leave, guessing it would be Furst.
Another would have to leave as well to accommodate Mason if he were to be in scholarship next year. We are already over 1 without Mason, Zach or mort coming back.

Because it's unethical. And Painter doesn't do unethical things.
Again, someone has to go off scholarship. No one said Painter will force him, but SOMEONE on scholarship now won't be next year. So if that mere fact is unethical, then guess what...

Thanks. I have no idea if it was then or not. I watched the game earlier and didn’t really notice the lob there. I think I’ll try to find that time and look at it again
BS. You don't recruit a kid as a scholarship player and then tell him you are pulling his scholarship because you didn't manage your recruiting. And because some entitled fans feel they deserve a Final Four. Even in the 21st Century.
Matt is not going to pull a scholarship as you said. Obviously there are things known that we don’t relative to scholarships. There are two spots beyond scholarships that can be ready to play. Could those other spots get NIL ? We will know in just a few months what Matt knows today I suspect

Reactions: BoilerAndy

That idea is ridiculous.
He's going to have to tell SOMEONE they aren't good enough. If EVERYONE says I want to return, guess what, someone can't, and in that scenario, he's going to HAVE to take a scholarship from someone. That reality became real when he oversigned.

Now maybe someone voluntarily decides to take that bullet. You know, like someone who isn't playing much and can afford to go without a scholarship? Then again, you tell us what happens if no one wants to.

Reactions: Boilerball3
That's even more ridiculous because they don't have a relationship. I think Painter knows something we don't know. And I'm fine with that.
And what if he just assumed someone wouldn't be around? There's no reason to believe he knew when we oversigned that someone wanted to leave that would be on scholarship. He can anticipate that is possible, or he could know that someone is ok with losing their scholarship, like the guy who's family clearly can afford it. Or he could be forced to do something else. That's what happens when you oversign. The guy isn't a paragon of virtue who never ever does anything someone could think is wrong, good grief.

He's going to have to tell SOMEONE they aren't good enough. If EVERYONE says I want to return, guess what, someone can't, and in that scenario, he's going to HAVE to take a scholarship from someone. That reality became real when he oversigned.

Now maybe someone voluntarily decides to take that bullet. You know, like someone who isn't playing much and can afford to go without a scholarship? Then again, you tell us what happens if no one wants to.
And that's where I said I think Painter has a plan. I highly doubt it's what you suggest because he's not that type of person. Didn't Painter say something like having "1 more" before signing Harris? I don't think he can't count to 13.

Again, someone has to go off scholarship. No one said Painter will force him, but SOMEONE on scholarship now won't be next year. So if that mere fact is unethical, then guess what...
Guess what. Painter won't pull Brian Waddell's scholarship and expect his dad to pick up the tab.

Guess what. Painter won't pull Brian Waddell's scholarship and expect his dad to pick up the tab.
Cool so who's scholarship will he pull then? And no one said he will pull anyone's scholarship. He can simply have the talk to someone or he could ASK if they are willing.

Reactions: Boilerball3
And that's where I said I think Painter has a plan. I highly doubt it's what you suggest because he's not that type of person. Didn't Painter say something like having "1 more" before signing Harris? I don't think he can't count to 13.
And who's to say that doesn't involve someone already willing to give up their slot? This melodrama that somehow such an arrangement is akin to murdering someone is ridiculous.

I haven't given up on him carving minutes next year. Definitely there are things for him to work on, but you start out 6'8" who handles the ball better than a normal 6'8", very cerebral in his understanding of the game as well as angles he has attacked in the past who has invested a lot of time and effort into playing at Purdue, but who needs to improve his shot mostly and D and so I see possibilities, but he has to continue to work. Kids can make a lot of improvement when the season is not going on? I take a wait and see on him, but just not sure any newcomer gets a lot of minutes not named Catchings.
Harris - kid has a college ready body almost and we are going to need a secondary ball handler. We can’t have Smith playing 39 minutes a night.

Also,
As long as Gillis goes out of conference, I’m cool. For someone like him, I look at as an great opportunity to get a graduate degree for free.

We don’t know. But I have contended and will continue to contend that Rosie did Myles a significant disservice by keeping him at a small school and having him play with and against weak competition.
Agree entirely with this comment, never did understand it.

Think he was mad at Jones for not passing him the ball.

Why would Furst leave when his brother just joined the team?
I wasn't saying he would be leaving, I was responding to PurdueDavie saying "If Mason were to return that would mean Furst would likely be gone" and agreeing that would be a scenario where it would help Gillis return.. I don't think Furst leaves (but he may since if his play doesn't improve I'm not sure he's going to get all that much playing time for an upperclassman - I'm not sure his brother being there will be that much of a factor. His brother could stay or go as he so chooses also).

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
He actually didn’t play as much as most and didn’t play on the bigger circuits all the time there either If I’m remembering right.
He was on USA bball team and played a lot in some other USA bball competitions. But yeah it was interesting that Myles stayed at heritage Christian and didn’t go to any of the surrounding north side schools. I do believe he would have played at them. Hope he gets some more mins tho !

We don’t know. But I have contended and will continue to contend that Rosie did Myles a significant disservice by keeping him at a small school and having him play with and against weak competition.
Those flaws are apparent inside a team. The other side of that blade is that it allowed Myles individual offensive development which is what many see. It was certainly a different route than most players on a Purdue team have taken

Agreed and all depends if he buys in and keeps working at it. The tools are all there and he already has the sweet shooting stroke …let’s hope he is able to put it all together! Very excited to see how he will be next year …but also hope he can help contribute this year too.

I think it’s odd that he was playing in big games in Maui and vs bama (so better competition), but then doesn’t see much in B1G play.

Harris - kid has a college ready body almost and we are going to need a secondary ball handler. We can’t have Smith playing 39 minutes a night.
That is the general consensus from reading what we have. Very possible, but some of that will be a function of any growth Fletcher has as well. If Fletcher improves his ball handling a bit, and he does pretty well now, then most likely as viewed today Cam is at the 3 and Fletcher is at the two. However, not really knowing much other than what we read Harris would seem to be the guy as you state. Then you have Cox getting offered quickly like Braden did and you wonder if his particulars are needed more?
So someone is getting minutes to help rest Braden as you say. I should have said "start" rather than major minutes and even then "start" doesn't always end in major minutes. Bottom line, Braden and Fletcher both need some rest, but Braden resting is the bigger question. I do think if Fletcher improves a bit handling the ball (still may not have the quickness) he might handle the ball more as a 2, but he isn't going to sub for Braden.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Think he was mad at Jones for not passing him the ball.
That was what a tweet said. I intend to catch that segment and see if I agree 1) that is when it happened 2) Myles was available for a lob. I do seem to recall that time and think Myles put his arm up to signal a lob. If true, it is quite possible that Lance for a variety of reasons never saw that, didn't feel comfortable doing it rather than NOT wanting Myles to get it. You shouldn't get mad if you are missed, by accident if that happened. Perhaps Lance thinks he is also open a lot in practice when Lance has the ball and that was just a continuation leading to his overt frustration?

Last edited:
Reactions: Zaphod_B
I’m sure he’s well aware of strength and worked on it this offseason and will continue to do so. It can also be tough for guys to put weight on. Kevin Durant was that way (BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING LOYER IS LIKE DURANT IN SKILL—just an example of a guy who didn’t have a ton of “strength” in the eyes of others)

Whether you like it or not, our team revolves around that big guy from Canada. We have to also ask ourselves who plays best off of Zach and plays best with him on defense. Does Myles play better with Zach than Loyer? Can’t answer that cuz I’m not in practice every day and we haven’t seen Colvin in game situations with Zach that much. Things to think about:

Can Colvin get the correct passing angles to Zach (Loyer struggled with this earlier this year…NW comes to mind)? Does he have good spacing with Zach and take his man away from Zach to not allow for an easy double? Does he communicate the double is coming? Does he dive to the rim when Zach gets doubled? Does he dribble into trouble? Can he handle the press when trapped? Does he know all the sets? Does he know where to be in each set? Does he go 100% every play? Can he hit FTs better than 50%? Can he hit FTs in a pressure situation?

On defense, does he put Zach in a position to have to help more than Loyer would? Does he make Zach have to think about fouling Colvins man if he blows by Colvin or does he let that guy have an open path for a shot or leave him man open to help? Can Colvin rebound well? Does he put a hand in his man’s chest to box out? And I’m sure there’s many more to wonder about.

Since we don’t see him a ton in games, I’m guessing the coaches are looking at those types of things in practice and take that into account for game situations. Painter knows how talented Myles is and probably wants to make sure he’s in a position to succeed and may think that’s not possible just yet and think Loyer gives the team a better chance to win…at this point.

I hope it all starts to get put together for Myles and we get to see more of him from here on out!
There are a lot of particulars that coaches could point out and no doubt have pointed out. However, I think it is as simple as Myles has not had to play inside a team setting before...particularly not one as precise and good as Purdue's. Myles has been the team before. That helped Myles in some areas and hurt him in others. Myles D on the ball has improved a lot. However, not that others haven't, but if you watch Myles with 9+ minutes left his first time in the game he is under the basket perhaps watching the ball too long and loses his man out on the baseline. It didn't cost Purdue and he then went to show progress with his on ball defense.

Inside a team's offense there still appears work to be done. The quickness of play and facilitation of the ball is quite different between Fletch and Myles. All that said, I'm bullish on Myles due to his stroke combined with his athletic ability. I think he will be very good, but that isn't today. Still, Matt can still use him for his stroke, which he has...and like many I hope Purdue is in a position that he can get minutes down the road...but winning NOW is what is needed as would be agreed by the players and coaches, and there is no evidence other than hypotheticals which may or may not be correct, that Myles getting more minutes is key to a NCAA run for Purdue

That is the general consensus from reading what we have. Very possible, but some of that will be a function of any growth Fletcher has as well. If Fletcher improves his ball handling a bit, and he does pretty well now, then most likely as viewed today Cam is at the 3 and Fletcher is at the two. However, not really knowing much other than what we read Harris would seem to be the guy as you state. Then you have Cox getting offered quickly like Braden did and you wonder if his particulars are needed more?
So someone is getting minutes to help rest Braden as you say. I should have said "start" rather than major minutes and even then "start" doesn't always end in major minutes. Bottom line, Braden and Fletcher both need some rest, but Braden resting is the bigger question. I do think if Fletcher improves a bit handling the ball (still may not have the quickness) he might handle the ball more as a 2, but he isn't going to sub for Braden.
Agree in general but Loyer and Cam aren’t running the point when Smith needs a breather. As it stands now, those minutes will be split between Cox and Harris. Guess that will work itself out during the off-season with whoever leaves and how they fit into the system. Both Harris and Cox are known for their defensive abilities so think it will be a dog fight.

See tweet below from Nick Baumgart, who covers Indiana high school basketball, talked about what Purdue might look like next year. Going to be more run and gun. Lot of uptempo and opportunities for shooters. Wonder if we run sets where we have Smith work off ball as well to get him upon looks as well as pin downs from midrange. Similar to what Northwestern runs for Boo.

Thanks. I have no idea if it was then or not. I watched the game earlier and didn’t really notice the lob there. I think I’ll try to find that time and look at it again

Matt is not going to pull a scholarship as you said. Obviously there are things known that we don’t relative to scholarships. There are two spots beyond scholarships that can be ready to play. Could those other spots get NIL ? We will know in just a few months what Matt knows today I suspect
If players can leave any time they want, why should coaches be obligated to keep players on scholarship for 4 years?

Agree in general but Loyer and Cam aren’t running the point when Smith needs a breather. As it stands now, those minutes will be split between Cox and Harris. Guess that will work itself out during the off-season with whoever leaves and how they fit into the system. Both Harris and Cox are known for their defensive abilities so think it will be a dog fight.

See tweet below from Nick Baumgart, who covers Indiana high school basketball, talked about what Purdue might look like next year. Going to be more run and gun. Lot of uptempo and opportunities for shooters. Wonder if we run sets where we have Smith work off ball as well to get him upon looks as well as pin downs from midrange. Similar to what Northwestern runs for Boo.

That is all true, but we are talking about 5 minutes a game when Braden is out I'm guessing

Purdue will be more uptempo and Braden will be better. His stats may or may not improve, but the tempo will be more to his liking. I knew this last year that when Zach leaves what would happen. I also pointed out that as a freshman Braden had to absorb the defensive pressure while Zach was on the blocks and how that made it harder for Braden to find his stroke...as well as not having an outlet against the pressure. Zach losing weight and moving better has allowed Braden to do more of what he does, as having Lance and just another year for Braden and Fletcher was huge. I actually talked about tempo and such a year ago with Dustin and how I knew it was putting reins on Braden, but Purdue need him to do what he did.

That five or so minute break may be split between halves as well leaving not as many possessions per half when he is out...and quite possibly Purdue uses more clock when he is out...cutting down the possessions. Those five minutes (if that is the number) may find nobody really replaces Braden, but rather Purdue goes back to more of a traditional combo guard role where nobody is as ball dominant as Braden is today. I doubt there is a risk of a 4man on D causing problems for Catchings on the perimeter. He too can handle the ball much better than Purdue's typical 4 in the past...much better I believe. Anyway, I see a lot of pieces of potential fits, but not sure how things go other than this is even more so Braden's team next year. Now, I'll read the article in what I suspect will find agreement.

edit below
no article...just those few words. This is why I said Braden's stats "may" go down, but he will be better. We don't know the true effect of Zach on Braden, or the cast next year as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
If players can leave any time they want, why should coaches be obligated to keep players on scholarship for 4 years?
Although the scholly is for a given year, coaches in the past have stated 4 years. If we believe that Purdue is a development program which is a different approach than portal, NIL and so forth then that is impossible to do if Matt is viewed as not keeping his word and it will be used against him in recruiting. Matt appears to be trying to move more to the traditional desire of two years between player positions and such for continuity.

A program that is based upon portal and NIL a lot wouldn't have the same concerns for a 4 year scholly I don't believe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT