ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

Agreed and all depends if he buys in and keeps working at it. The tools are all there and he already has the sweet shooting stroke …let’s hope he is able to put it all together! Very excited to see how he will be next year …but also hope he can help contribute this year too.

I think it’s odd that he was playing in big games in Maui and vs bama (so better competition), but then doesn’t see much in B1G play.
He was huge in the Gonzaga game. Without him, I'm not entirely sure we would have won. Certainly would have changed the script without him in that one.

Edit: looks like he only scored 6pts against Gonzaga. Thought he had a third 3 in that game. Either way his 2 3s were much needed at the time.

I don't think Painter is worried about the scholly situation in the least. These things tend to play out naturally over time. Painter is going to do everything he can to develop each player and the team to be the best it can be. Some players may decide that "it's about them scoring points", those will figure it out or opt out. That is how the game is played. Their are many options, that we should not worry about now. Let's enjoy one of the more successful seasons in program history! There will be some freshmen coming in that will carry a redshirt as well. If Colvin is'nt happy on this team...then it is because he is about himself and he has to learn that it's about the team now. The game is about more than shooting jump shots. It's about passing, playing defense and being part of a team and that does take some sacrifice. One thing I know about Painter, if you don't understand sacrifice for the team, you will not be there long...let's just say RONNIE JOHNSON.

Although the scholly is for a given year, coaches in the past have stated 4 years. If we believe that Purdue is a development program which is a different approach than portal, NIL and so forth then that is impossible to do if Matt is viewed as not keeping his word and it will be used against him in recruiting. Matt appears to be trying to move more to the traditional desire of two years between player positions and such for continuity.

A program that is based upon portal and NIL a lot wouldn't have the same concerns for a 4 year scholly I don't believe.
Do you think it’s POSSIBLE that Matt and Matt had a talk before the scholarship offer was extended, that it wasn’t necessarily a guarantee for 4 years ? More of a hey, we’ll give him at least 2 years, see how it goes, and then take it year by year from there ?

We know that Painter is a straight shooter with recruits and doesn’t offer unreasonable expectations. He’s said he tells them they will have the opportunity to EARN playing time based on performance and picking up team based offensive and defensive schemes. If you prove you are one of the top 3 (4) players they will (might) run some things for you. Otherwise you have to capitalize on what presents itself in the offense.
I’m sure it’s hard to adapt to D1 from high school and from being the best on the team/court to being a piece in the overall plan. Myles is very talented and athletic and the only true freshman trying to adapt this year. This appears to be progressing slower than the fan base anticipated or wants. Either that or he’s not fully bought into biding his time while learning in a role players role. In either case , he seems to be the tenth man on a team that has found a 9 man rotation but that has twelve players capable of/deserving of minutes on the court.
My take from the game yesterday in what he mouthed is he’s having a difficult time adjusting/accepting this and he might be frustrated and a little angry. Hopefully all settles down and he gets where he needs to be and he carves out a role for future years.
Want to see Myles succeed as a BOILERMAKER!
Boiler Up! 🖤💛🏀
Colvin appears to be another head case who's stats are what's important. Just my opinion. I think he could become a disruptor if he doesn't understand and accept his role. Not a big fan of him, and becoming less.

Reactions: Inspector100
Myles getting more minutes is key to a NCAA run for Purdue
Yes. Agreed on this. Colvin getting more minutes and comfortable should be a high priority if Painter does not want to fall flat on his face again in the tournament. We need an extra player with confidence in his shot making abilities. Seems to remember that no one wanted to shoot or afraid to shoot in our previous loses to double seated teams...

Reactions: BoilerDeac
BS. You don't recruit a kid as a scholarship player and then tell him you are pulling his scholarship because you didn't manage your recruiting. And because some entitled fans feel they deserve a Final Four. Even in the 21st Century.
It happens all over the country

Scholarships are year by year

If you’ve played college sports you’d understand. You’re not guaranteed a scholarship your sophomore year just because you got recruited and got one as a fresh.

It happens all over the country

Scholarships are year by year

If you’ve played college sports you’d understand. You’re not guaranteed a scholarship your sophomore year just because you got recruited and got one as a fresh.
Again it doesn't require some evil nefarious act by Painter. I have no idea why so much emotion is generated by the idea that Painter might have made an arrangement with someone in this scenario particularly since the emergence of NIL can replace the value of a scholarship and then some.

Again it doesn't require some evil nefarious act by Painter. I have no idea why so much emotion is generated by the idea that Painter might have made an arrangement with someone in this scenario particularly since the emergence of NIL can replace the value of a scholarship and then some.
This.

Reactions: z_one
Yeah, if Furst leaves (and someone else), then its a no-brainer to keep Gillis if he wants to stay..
With some of the NIL money these guys are making, is there even a need for scholarships? If he wants to stay, he can walk on. He's probably making way more than his scholarship anyhow.

Do you think it’s POSSIBLE that Matt and Matt had a talk before the scholarship offer was extended, that it wasn’t necessarily a guarantee for 4 years ? More of a hey, we’ll give him at least 2 years, see how it goes, and then take it year by year from there ?
I have no idea, but suspect not. Brian redshirted as part of the scholly offer. I sent the video of Brian to Matt's brother-in-law last night and he texted back "Love the bench's reaction...lots of love. One of the reasons they have such a special team, they enjoy each others success" I then texted what Raleigh Burgess said when a guard off the 1974 NIT team asked him why he chose Purdue. Not verbatim, but very close---I knew that I would make friends for life with the players, and Purdue has a lot of great people. Very mature and yet very unusual reason to sway a player. There is a hell of a lot to be grateful for this team, as a grad...or even a fan. Not only is this team good. Not only do they sacrifice for others and are not on an ego trip, but they work so hard to play well and prepare well. I'm very happy for them and appreciate the stage they are on and how well they represent Purdue.

I have no idea, but suspect not. Brian redshirted as part of the scholly offer. I sent the video of Brian to Matt's brother-in-law last night and he texted back "Love the bench's reaction...lots of love. One of the reasons they have such a special team, they enjoy each others success" I then texted what Raleigh Burgess said when a guard off the 1974 NIT team asked him why he chose Purdue. Not verbatim, but very close---I knew that I would make friends for life with the players, and Purdue has a lot of great people. Very mature and yet very unusual reason to sway a player. There is a hell of a lot to be grateful for this team, as a grad...or even a fan. Not only is this team good. Not only do they sacrifice for others and are not on an ego trip, but they work so hard to play well and prepare well. I'm very happy for them and appreciate the stage they are on and how well they represent Purdue.
So if Matt says, I got you an NIL worth twice your scholarship but it would require you to walk on for a season, that's bad why?

So if Matt says, I got you an NIL worth twice your scholarship but it would require you to walk on for a season, that's bad why?
I never said it was bad. What will not happen is for Brian to pay for his schooling. Actually if you sort my posts you will see me mention 13 schollys and 15 can play and talking about NIL planting a seed to the possibility of NIL for two walk-on spots. Years ago walk-ons couldn't do things like scholly players according to the NCAA...training table etc. All that may be by the wayside at this time...I don't know. However, I would assume that NIL could open a door for walk-ons, but I certainly don't know

Again it doesn't require some evil nefarious act by Painter. I have no idea why so much emotion is generated by the idea that Painter might have made an arrangement with someone in this scenario particularly since the emergence of NIL can
Agree 100%

With the NIL, you essential have as many scholarships as you can afford. What we do know, is one player off this roster (if chooses to come back) will not have a scholarship next season. That's a fact

I never said it was bad. What will not happen is for Brian to pay for his schooling. Actually if you sort my posts you will see me mention 13 schollys and 15 can play and talking about NIL planting a seed to the possibility of NIL for two walk-on spots. Years ago walk-ons couldn't do things like scholly players according to the NCAA...training table etc. All that may be by the wayside at this time...I don't know. However, I would assume that NIL could open a door for walk-ons, but I certainly don't know
What if Brian's dad came to him and said, I'll pay for next year so you can get this top player in?

Again the negative spin to all of this perplexes me. If I had a crap ton of money and my kid was there but end of bench and on scholly I'd have no issue paying for a year if it meant he got to possibly be part of a championship team.

I'd volunteer it and wouldn't be offended if the idea was raised. But people are acting like Painter would be the Devil if that happened and it's pretty old school thinking

Reactions: New Pal Boiler
Just for fun on a boring winter day . Next year’s rotation Renn , Furst , Heide Loyer and Smith starting. Catchings , Berg , Harris , Cox with Colvin and Burgess fighting for any PT

What if Brian's dad came to him and said, I'll pay for next year so you can get this top player in?

Again the negative spin to all of this perplexes me. If I had a crap ton of money and my kid was there but end of bench and on scholly I'd have no issue paying for a year if it meant he got to possibly be part of a championship team.

I'd volunteer it and wouldn't be offended if the idea was raised. But people are acting like Painter would be the Devil if that happened and it's pretty old school thinking
A question I have that I asked minutes ago and think is rather important is whether walk-ons are limited in what they can do or share with the team. I do not know that answer, but think it rather important. Minutes ago I posted about sharing Brian's video and typed the comments back. Now I don't know just how close the day to day contacts are concerning Brian between Matt and Jay and if I knew something that shouldn't be shared I wouldn't...but if you read what I typed it did not feel like there was any angst, being upset or concerned in the text. Personally, I'm sure they believe that his day will come to get major minutes...and it won't surprise me either. It may be more minutes next year and maybe even more the next year

Reactions: Boilerball3
A question I have that I asked minutes ago and think is rather important is whether walk-ons are limited in what they can do or share with the team. I do not know that answer, but think it rather important. Minutes ago I posted about sharing Brian's video and typed the comments back. Now I don't know just how close the day to day contacts are concerning Brian between Matt and Jay and if I knew something that shouldn't be shared I wouldn't...but if you read what I typed it did not feel like there was any angst, being upset or concerned in the text. Personally, I'm sure they believe that his day will come to get major minutes...and it won't surprise me either. It may be more minutes next year and maybe even more the next year
I don't believe there's any difference in walk-ons and regular players. Exhibit A is our frosh running back two seasons ago. They do all the same things. My point is simply in the age of NIL, there's things that can benefit BOTH the team and the player other than a scholarship.

Reactions: tjreese
I don't believe there's any difference in walk-ons and regular players. Exhibit A is our frosh running back two seasons ago. They do all the same things. My point is simply in the age of NIL, there's things that can benefit BOTH the team and the player other than a scholarship.
All I know it never used to be that way, but I would expect it today many years later to be allowed the same things other than a scholly

With some of the NIL money these guys are making, is there even a need for scholarships? If he wants to stay, he can walk on. He's probably making way more than his scholarship anyhow.
I think Furst would do well in the Missouri Valley Conf

Creighton would be a good landing spot for him if he decides. They play a similar style ball
I could see him doing well at Gonzaga. Granted, if I’m a transfer 5th/COVID bonus guy, I’m going to Hawaii or somewhere on the beach. The Indiana winters are for suckers.

I could see him doing well at Gonzaga. Granted, if I’m a transfer 5th/COVID bonus guy, I’m going to Hawaii or somewhere on the beach. The Indiana winters are for suckers.
Totally with you on that one. Both of those guys...definitely for Gillis, go somewhere nice, warm weather and all and experience something different. Be good for him. He deserves it. Thankfully for everything he has done for this team and the community as well.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
Friends over at Sleepers Media did their body language segment on this. If you haven’t watched their stuff, they are funny.

Reactions: spoilerdave
I watch all their videos, IMO the one guy is right, Colvin should have Morton's 15 mins and Morton should have Colvin's 7 mins
As much offensive firepower he gives, he also is a liability in the defensive end. I get it is a give and take, Painter is taking defense instead.

There was another video I watched on the evolution of young guys. It made me think of Cam v Loyer v Colvin etc. It said that at first you stand around the perimeter waiting for the ball to take your shot. As you evolve, you are moving and seeing the opening before it opens. You make the defense respect your abilities so now you create more for yourself and your team. That is what Loyer brings, dude is constantly moving and finding that opening. Cam is getting better. Myles, work in progress.

Reactions: Heads up BOILER
Yes. Agreed on this. Colvin getting more minutes and comfortable should be a high priority if Painter does not want to fall flat on his face again in the tournament. We need an extra player with confidence in his shot making abilities. Seems to remember that no one wanted to shoot or afraid to shoot in our previous loses to double seated teams...
I never said that. I said this
“I hope Purdue is in a position that he can get minutes down the road...but winning NOW is what is needed as would be agreed by the players and coaches, and there is no evidence other than hypotheticals which may or may not be correct, that Myles getting more minutes is key to a NCAA run for Purdue”

Why would Furst leave when his brother just joined the team?
They’re brothers, not Siamese twins. They are different individuals who may want to do their own thing, or, they might want a year to play together. We will see.

That said, for as highly touted/recruited Furst was, he might feel his college career/performance has been underwhelming and may seek a larger role somewhere else, like Haarms.

Got to love it. We are ranked #2 in the country and 18 and 2. We win by 30 and all are talk is about who did'nt sub in earlier and play more? You gotta be kidding me. I will say this, if Colvin does'nt trust his coach anymore than previous posters do...about how to coach and start and sub players...then he will leave. Part of being a good player in a successful program like this is learning to trust the coaches and the system. If you don't, you want be a great player. I agree Colvin has great upside...would love to see it more. But this team is on a mission and the coaches and players need buy-in. Respectfully, it is'nt about Colvin...it's about winning a championship. I believe Painter will go with the players he feels will get him there. Do I understand all that goes into his decisions...No. But I do trust that he has his reasons. I will also say, when Colvin does get in, he looks to shoot first and D is lacking and sometimes makes a quick turnover...these are all things I am sure the coaches have been working on with him. Can we all just enjoy success and trust the process.
It’s a forum for fans, and in the blowout against Michigan, Colvin remaining on the bench was more than relevant and mentioned by many fans all over social media.

Come on, man. Let’s not police what people can/can’t post about on a forum designed for exactly this type of discussion.

Also, re: trusting the process, enjoying the success, and sharing an opinion that Colvin can help the team if he gets more minutes—these things can all be done simultaneously!

That said, while I’m trusting the process and Painter’s assessments, we’d be foolish to not consider past NCAA tournament letdowns, which, to some extent, were the result of Painter’s “process.”

Painter is great, but he also needs to continue to evolve, like any human. Giving Colvin more minutes (even if it means Purdue takes a hit in the short term) to raise the ceiling of this team would be an example of that evolution.

Last edited:
Reactions: BoilerInChiTown
It’s a forum for fans, and in the blowout against Michigan, Colvin remaining on the bench was more than relevant and mentioned by many fans all over social media.

Come on, man. Let’s not police what people can/can’t post about on a forum designed for exactly this type of discussion.

Also, re: trusting the process, enjoying the success, and sharing an opinion that Colvin can help the team if he gets more minutes—these things can all be done simultaneously!

That said, while I’m trusting the process and Painter’s assessments, we’d be foolish to not consider past NCAA tournament letdowns, which, to some extent, were the result of Painter’s “process.”

Painter is great, but he also needs to continue to evolve, like any human. Giving Colvin more minutes (even if it means Purdue takes a hit in the short term) to raise the ceiling of this team would be an example of that evolution.
Some would say Waddell and Berg need more minutes. Both played better D than Colvin did.

Reactions: Thadoc1

There is no scenario this year that involves Colvin playing and our ceiling behind raised...he's not ready....very raw still and really needs to work on his defense...

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT