ADVERTISEMENT

Colvin

Not overreacting and not “bitching.”

I think it’s fair to ask the question when the team is up by 20+ points fairly late in the 2nd half, and Morton checks in for the second time while Colvin stayed on the bench at that time.

Was nice to see Colvin get some run shortly after that.
Wasn’t directed at you at all, some others got all defensive, he’ll get his time, perhaps sooner rather than later.

We’re oversigned by 1. So all the seniors are gone,(edey, Gillis, Lance, Morton) plus an underclassman has to transfer, unless one of the signees agrees to go to prep school.
If Mason wants to play it would come down to him or Furst for 1 year likely, my guess is Painter wouldn’t want to do that to Caleb, however, who would be a better fit for 1 year? With NIL I wouldn’t blame Gillis a bit if he wants to play his Covid season somewhere. I know this, he’d be in high demand, neighbors down south likely would love to have him.

In a blowout like last night we definitely need guys like Heide and Colvin to play. However, Colvin is still clueless on D. He is lazy. Always has been but he was able to make up for his laziness with athleticism in highschool... I think that's why he sat. He is probably supposed to b working more on his defense in games like this but he absolutely is not focused on that side of the ball... IMO CMP is making him understand that if he's simply not going to play D he is going to sit... I also think its not so much about his lack of defensive understanding but his effort... He just doesn't seem to give much effort on that side... IMO that's why CMP isn't playing him as much... Believe me I was talking about how CMP doesn't have a track record of playing guys in games like these like I've thought he should. However, it's quite obvious what's going on here... Colvin really needs to start putting in effort defensively or he simply will be too much of a liability regardless of how athletic and good of a shooter he can be... Karl Anthony Towns scored 62 points the other day in a loss and was benched most of the 4th for this exact reason...

When Colvin did not get in during the first half I thought, what Is going on, why can’t Colvin get in?? It has to be what Painter sees or does not see from Colvin in practice. I get that despite the nice three point shooting in garbage time last night Colvin has a long way to go on defense and the rest of his game. Last night there were no blow bys on Colvin but he seemed to be running around looking for someone to guard. Maybe he is not locked in on team defensive principles, switching etc?? I get that Colvin has not shown much more than a shooting touch . His defense is lacking and the rest of his game I hear about from high school really has not shown itself. It is not likely that his athleticism is going to save or upgrade Purdue for the tournament. But, his shooting could provide a boost here and there. It would be nice to see him get in with Edey on the court when the attention on Edey provides open looks. Also, take solace that Purdue got that athletic boost from Jones well beyond what anyone could have hoped for. Heide will get more time because of his defense and size. His year with the team last year gives him an advantage over Colvin.
There was absolutely a blow by that lead to a dunk on Colvin last night... Just to clarify... Colvin didn't seem interested in hustling at all once he noticed he was beat either... Just stopped and stood and watched...

If everyone on this board agreed 100% with your opinion on Colvin, it would not gain him a single minute of playing time and it would not have any impact on the outcome of Purdue's season.
There is sooooooo much to say, but as you said nobody here that agree or disagree with ANYTHING Matt does... matters. It just pits someone against another since someone believes his opinion is the right one. Matt said after the game that Myles is going to be a fabulous player for Purdue and so contrary to some opinions Matt believes Myles could be very good...or fabulous for Purdue. Now that it was disclosed for some that thought Matt treated Myles unfairly it should be clear that Matt is aware of the good things Myles can do. That leaves us with a couple of thoughts. 1)Matt doesn't want to improve the team by using Myles since he thinks he will be fabulous for Purdue in the future. 2) Matt doesn't understand how quickly Myles could pick up things if just given more minutes in a game. 3) Matt is not aware of what is needed for the NCAA tourney 4)Matt just doesn't understand what he is missing 5) Matt knows what needs to happen, but he is too stubborn to now admit that he should have played Myles more and just doesn't do what he believes is needed due to being stubborn

Anyone can add more reasons "why" Myles is not getting the minutes some think he needs. I don't share any of those reasons, but do think Myles has a bright future

There is sooooooo much to say, but as you said nobody here that agree or disagree with ANYTHING Matt does... matters. It just pits someone against another since someone believes his opinion is the right one. Matt said after the game that Myles is going to be a fabulous player for Purdue and so contrary to some opinions Matt believes Myles could be very good...or fabulous for Purdue. Now that it was disclosed for some that thought Matt treated Myles unfairly it should be clear that Matt is aware of the good things Myles can do. That leaves us with a couple of thoughts. 1)Matt doesn't want to improve the team by using Myles since he thinks he will be fabulous for Purdue in the future. 2) Matt doesn't understand how quickly Myles could pick up things if just given more minutes in a game. 3) Matt is not aware of what is needed for the NCAA tourney 4)Matt just doesn't understand what he is missing 5) Matt knows what needs to happen, but he is too stubborn to now admit that he should have played Myles more and just doesn't do what he believes is needed due to being stubborn

Anyone can add more reasons "why" Myles is not getting the minutes some think he needs. I don't share any of those reasons, but do think Myles has a bright future
We don’t see practice, I think the reason could be found there. It’s tough for kids who get by on defense in high school due to superior athletic talent ( against mostly non D-1 players) to adjust, especially coming to a coach who demands hustle , defense and team play…and the team is very talented. Myles could be fabulous, but he needs to buy in to what Matt is selling.

Two facts: Loyer and Smith started as freshmen. So Painter is not afraid to start freshmen. Painter signed 6 freshmen placing Purdue one over the scholarship limit. That means Edey and Gillis and one other player must leave. There has been a lot of speculation who that player will be.

As for Myles starting, there are many who believe Catchings will start. It’s possible Catchings will start at the 3 rather than the 4.

As for Myles starting, there are many who believe Heide should start. And many others who believe Harris should start.

Last given fact. Painter has a long history of giving minutes to players who excel at playing defense over more talented offensive minded players. The key to whoever starts next year will be the player who proves he can play defense. Maybe Furst will regain a starting spot and Catchings will slide to the 3. Maybe Heide will force his way to start at the 3 or 4. Maybe Burgess will sneak in at the 4/5. Maybe Harris will take over and start much like Loyer did.

Who knows!! Myles is deserving of increased minutes this year and starting next year. But the same could be said of at least 5 other players for next year and 3 others this year.

I recall many posters praising Wadell when he first signed and before the season started.

The only real given going forward, Purdue is 1 over its scholarship limit for next year. So something has to happen. Someone must leave. And that is in addition to both Edey and Gillis leaving . I’d love for Gillis to stay. Maybe he could stay as a walkon or maybe he can find a home elsewhere as a grad transfer.

If Mason wants to play it would come down to him or Furst for 1 year likely, my guess is Painter wouldn’t want to do that to Caleb, however, who would be a better fit for 1 year? With NIL I wouldn’t blame Gillis a bit if he wants to play his Covid season somewhere. I know this, he’d be in high demand, neighbors down south likely would love to have him.
If Gillis wants to stay, we would need TWO underclassmen to transfer. Unless someone is walking on and using NIL to pay their way.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Let’s just ride with what Painter has put out there. Heide and Morton off the bench, Smith Jones and Loyer getting major minutes and hope it doesn’t come back and bite us. I believe Jones will be the difference and hope we won’t face quick athletic guards that can disrupt our offense. Boiler Up and let’s enjoy the ride

We are 10,000 miles from this being a Newman situation. He's a starter next year 100%

Agree 100% with first part. Not so sure about the second part. Right now it seems CMP prefers Heide over Colvin for the one open spot. And that does not include the highly talented new guards, that maybe will understand D quickly, maybe not?

Anyway, for sure he will be in line for plenty of minutes next year if he gets the D down.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
If Gillis wants to stay, we would need TWO underclassmen to transfer. Unless someone is walking on and using NIL to pay their way.
I'm curious how the walk on NIL money thing works.
Speculation:
Edey is drafted but not guarantee a contract.
He has a year of eligibility left and could make more through NIL than a professional contract. Would the NCAA allow him to return (walk on) not on scholarship and play?
Same with Gillis and whomever else wants to do this that has eligibility left.
So technically a team could fill 13 scholarships but have 20 guys on the roster.

Reactions: FiveWeight
Two facts: Loyer and Smith started as freshmen. So Painter is not afraid to start freshmen. Painter signed 6 freshmen placing Purdue one over the scholarship limit. That means Edey and Gillis and one other player must leave. There has been a lot of speculation who that player will be.

As for Myles starting, there are many who believe Catchings will start. It’s possible Catchings will start at the 3 rather than the 4.

As for Myles starting, there are many who believe Heide should start. And many others who believe Harris should start.

Last given fact. Painter has a long history of giving minutes to players who excel at playing defense over more talented offensive minded players. The key to whoever starts next year will be the player who proves he can play defense. Maybe Furst will regain a starting spot and Catchings will slide to the 3. Maybe Heide will force his way to start at the 3 or 4. Maybe Burgess will sneak in at the 4/5. Maybe Harris will take over and start much like Loyer did.

Who knows!! Myles is deserving of increased minutes this year and starting next year. But the same could be said of at least 5 other players for next year and 3 others this year.

I recall many posters praising Wadell when he first signed and before the season started.

The only real given going forward, Purdue is 1 over its scholarship limit for next year. So something has to happen. Someone must leave. And that is in addition to both Edey and Gillis leaving . I’d love for Gillis to stay. Maybe he could stay as a walkon or maybe he can find a home elsewhere as a grad transfer.

If Gillis stays, and I dont think he does, he could play on a Grad Scholarship and use NIL money for the rest.

I think Gillis uses his covid year to go somewhere where he will get more minutes and be the focus of the team on offense so he can get a good year in for his Euro league career tryout basically.

But Gillis is one of my favorite players, would love to find a way to stay, I just dont see it.

Reactions: ChoiceBeef
My buddies daughter sort of runs in the same circles with Gilles, supposedly he would love to play his Covid year, interesting scenario, so do you tell him he’s done here if he wants to play?
Interesting you bring that up, I’ve been wondering if Gillis was going to use his Covid year. I would if I was him.He’ll have his pick of pretty much any school in the nation should he use it.

We don’t see practice, I think the reason could be found there. It’s tough for kids who get by on defense in high school due to superior athletic talent ( against mostly non D-1 players) to adjust, especially coming to a coach who demands hustle , defense and team play…and the team is very talented. Myles could be fabulous, but he needs to buy in to what Matt is selling.
You are not disagreeing with me. ;) Myles wasn't good on D in high school. I made comments months ago that he was the worst I've seen since Woody Austin as a freshman on D. Many...many...many high school players that don't get a sniff of college BBall were better defenders. That said, I'm very high on his potential and think he will get his moments. I love his stroke and that is how Matt uses him at this time

Last edited:
I think we can all agree you maybe the least knowledgeable poster on here if you don't think getting Colvin playing better won't help us in March. You must being living under a rock the last few years.
LOL. And you must have the worst reading comprehension on this board if that is what you read in my post. High school should help you with that.

There was absolutely a blow by that lead to a dunk on Colvin last night... Just to clarify... Colvin didn't seem interested in hustling at all once he noticed he was beat either... Just stopped and stood and watched...
I'm reminded of James Blackmon, Jr at IU. Really, really good offensive player (#1 shooting guard in his recruiting class), but had no interest at all in playing defense. When he was in the game, opponents seemed to always outscored the hoosiers.

Painter may have also learned a lesson from the 2021-22 team. Defense was clearly not a priority for that team. They seemed to think they could win by simply being better offensively.

When Myles decides to use his athleticism and play defense, he'll be a star.

I'm reminded of James Blackmon, Jr at IU. Really, really good offensive player (#1 shooting guard in his recruiting class), but had no interest at all in playing defense. When he was in the game, opponents seemed to always outscored the hoosiers.

Painter may have also learned a lesson from the 2021-22 team. Defense was clearly not a priority for that team. They seemed to think they could win by simply being better offensively.

I think he is moving that way. I see a LOT more effort in defending the ball than ever before. People need to also see that the ball sticks a bit more in his hands and rarely results in creating a situation for another. I think he is going to be great and really like his stroke...but the panic as though he is crucial for tourney success and could only take place by playing more minutes is unfounded IMO. That said, I do wish and hope he is able to get more minutes as the season goes on when the minutes are available.

I think he is moving that way. I see a LOT more effort in defending the ball than ever before. People need to also see that the ball sticks a bit more in his hands and rarely results in creating a situation for another. I think he is going to be great and really like his stroke...but the panic as though he is crucial for tourney success and could only take place by playing more minutes is unfounded IMO. That said, I do wish and hope he is able to get more minutes as the season goes on when the minutes are available.
He’s also making an effort to pass the ball now. Early in the season if the ball went to him, he was shooting it every time.

Look there is a total of 0 of us that have access to practice and coaches discussions. I am sure there is a combination of things that go into determining his playing time. It seems like it isn’t offense and probably defense
I think it is D mostly, but there are some issues on O...just not him shooting when open

I’m very surprised so many smart people on this board are more concerned about Colvin next year than this year. Have you forgotten we are trying to win a Natty THIS year? Have you also forgotten how desperately we need athletic, quick guards in the tourney? It’s been our Achilles heal. Right now our only guard getting consistent minutes off the bench is Morton. Our ONLY guard. We don’t need to kill teams by 30 in January (as much as I love it). What we need is to get Colvin as much experience as we can so he helps us get over the hump and kill teams this March. I really truly hope I’m wrong, but if Morton is the only guard Painter trusts off the bench when he shortens the rotation we are in for another world of hurt. You all know it too.
Isn't Lance Jones a guard who comes off the bench? Doesn't he get "considerable" minutes? And would you not play him so Colvin gets Freshman minutes?

• Haha
Reactions: Heads up BOILER

And if he doesn’t improve his defense, he’ll have a similar pro career to JBJ.

Reactions: BoilerAndy
You are not disagreeing with me. ;) Myles wasn't good on D in high school. I made comments months ago that he was the worst I've seen since Woody Austin as a freshman on D. Many...many...many high school players that don't get a sniff of college BBall were better defenders. That said, I'm very high on his potential and think he will get his moments. I love his stroke and that is how Matt uses him at this time
Right on, I wasn’t disagreeing. I believe you and I are on the same train that does not think Myles will become a great all around offensive star this year, like he was in HS. However, shooting might be his contribution in a big moment.

Yea, holy overreactions Batman lol. Kids a true Frosh playing for a top 5 team, heaven forbid he has to buy his time. Colvin likely is a starter next year, can’t believe people are bitching about this in a 32 point blowout, only 5 guys can play.
I'm not bitching, I'm just sayin throw a player a bone once in awhile

We need Mason to either be a walk on or since we are already over 1 on scholarships, would need 2 ppl to transfer for Mason to be back. Who would those two be?

And not sure about Catchings starting either…I think the talent is there but not sure painter will start him, at least not right away
Well we already need one person to go. Could be Furst. Could be someone else. I'm just saying how next year's roster looks isn't definitive. And with NIL, options for people to play without a scholarship is now a thing that's possible.

What if Gillis gets NIL worth say 100k (and assuming he can't get more somewhere else)?

We’re oversigned by 1. So all the seniors are gone,(edey, Gillis, Lance, Morton) plus an underclassman has to transfer, unless one of the signees agrees to go to prep school.
Odds are we lose at least one person anyways whether because of playing time concerns or NIL opportunities. Rosters are a lot more fluid than they used to be.

Reactions: Poprudy
Strength is the number one issue for Loyer in my opinion. Needs to find the weight room , pretty obvious he hasn’t found it. Everyone should have his role , Loyer is a great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin is the better athlete, Loyer better ballhandler
Loyer makes a fair amount of bad or lazy passes

Well we already need one person to go. Could be Furst. Could be someone else. I'm just saying how next year's roster looks isn't definitive. And with NIL, options for people to play without a scholarship is now a thing that's possible.

What if Gillis gets NIL worth say 100k (and assuming he can't get more somewhere else)?
Sure, that can happen. Not sure about Furst, he is pre med and maybe he’d finish up this summer and his brother is a walk on. I really have no clue who is going to transfer or how we will pull it off.

Let’s say Mason is back. Then we have a (good) problem of figuring out minutes between TKR, Furst, Gillis, Berg, Catchings, Burgess and Jacobsen. Granted, one or two of those guys may leave and I’m guessing Jacobsen will redshirt.

Something to worry about after the season!

Strength is the number one issue for Loyer in my opinion. Needs to find the weight room , pretty obvious he hasn’t found it. Everyone should have his role , Loyer is a great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin great offensive player - defense not good. Colvin is the better athlete, Loyer better ballhandler
I’m sure he’s well aware of strength and worked on it this offseason and will continue to do so. It can also be tough for guys to put weight on. Kevin Durant was that way (BY NO MEANS AM I SAYING LOYER IS LIKE DURANT IN SKILL—just an example of a guy who didn’t have a ton of “strength” in the eyes of others)

Whether you like it or not, our team revolves around that big guy from Canada. We have to also ask ourselves who plays best off of Zach and plays best with him on defense. Does Myles play better with Zach than Loyer? Can’t answer that cuz I’m not in practice every day and we haven’t seen Colvin in game situations with Zach that much. Things to think about:

Can Colvin get the correct passing angles to Zach (Loyer struggled with this earlier this year…NW comes to mind)? Does he have good spacing with Zach and take his man away from Zach to not allow for an easy double? Does he communicate the double is coming? Does he dive to the rim when Zach gets doubled? Does he dribble into trouble? Can he handle the press when trapped? Does he know all the sets? Does he know where to be in each set? Does he go 100% every play? Can he hit FTs better than 50%? Can he hit FTs in a pressure situation?

On defense, does he put Zach in a position to have to help more than Loyer would? Does he make Zach have to think about fouling Colvins man if he blows by Colvin or does he let that guy have an open path for a shot or leave him man open to help? Can Colvin rebound well? Does he put a hand in his man’s chest to box out? And I’m sure there’s many more to wonder about.

Since we don’t see him a ton in games, I’m guessing the coaches are looking at those types of things in practice and take that into account for game situations. Painter knows how talented Myles is and probably wants to make sure he’s in a position to succeed and may think that’s not possible just yet and think Loyer gives the team a better chance to win…at this point.

I hope it all starts to get put together for Myles and we get to see more of him from here on out!

Reactions: tjreese
If Gillis stays, and I dont think he does, he could play on a Grad Scholarship and use NIL money for the rest.

I think Gillis uses his covid year to go somewhere where he will get more minutes and be the focus of the team on offense so he can get a good year in for his Euro league career tryout basically.

But Gillis is one of my favorite players, would love to find a way to stay, I just dont see it.
yeah, he's one of my faves too, maybe going to a place like Butler or Creighton

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT