ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Painter on who will make the biggest leap this year...

😂

Yeah, but for Wole sayin Heide is a guard in his eyes doesn’t change the fact he is a forward/listed as one and has been his whole life 😂
Saying 'his whole life' is probably hyperbole (maybe purposefully so?). He played varsity as an eighth grader and was a top 40 type recruit as a high school underclassman as a guard. He had a pretty significant foot injury as a sophomore or junior and seemed to morph into more of a guard/forward combo after that.

I also said if a player doesn’t start, he’s a role player rather than actually having a position. I don’t consider Heide as a starter, so it doesn’t really matter what position he plays! He’ll get some minutes. But only if someone fails or gets in foul trouble.

I provided a scenario. I said if Jacobson starts, TKR will continue playing the 4. And Heide will back up TKR or play the 3. But most people here all agree that the 3 starter will be Mules! Gosh darn! Myles is a guard, isn’t he?

And what did I say about Painter wanting to start a guard at the three position? Wow, how many times do I have to say it? Painter will start a guard at the three rather than a forward!

As for Heide. What is his natural position? I’m saying he’s a guard. You can disagree if you want. He can play the 4. But we have better options to play the 4 than Heide. Unless you really want to play small ball with ; guards and TKR or Jacobson.

I believe some of the confusion occurs when I talk about a player’s natural position verses what position he plays at Purdue. When I discuss a player’s natural position, I’m referring to what position the player will play in the pros. In the pros, I said Catchings would be a 3. That’s probably why he didn’t want to play for Purdue if Painter informed him that he was going to play him at the 4. I see Heide as a guard. I can’t see Heide playing the 3 in the pros.

So if Heidi plays the 3 at Purdue, he’d basically playing a guard position.

Posters constantly say a player can play multiple positions. But do they really play more than one position? I can see they may play out of position when coming off the bench, but I don’t really consider that as being classified as being able to play that position!

I consider Magic Johnson a point guard. He could play center, but nobody called him a center. The same with Jordan, LeBron, Durant and many others! While players can play multiple positions, I will refer to them by the position that is their natural position! Furst is a center. Braden is a point guard. Loyer is a shooting guard. Got is a power forward. Heidi is a big guard! Myles and Harris are guards! Jacobson is a center. Berg is a tall back up
There are so many things you are saying here that we have already told you that you are just flat out wrong. You continue to ignore reality. Then you come onto a post talking about a podcast by painter who contrasts completely with everything you’ve been saying and continue to make your stupid arguments. Did you even listen to the podcast? He is disputing just about everything you say here and everything we’ve been telling you.

He said this roster has lots of flexibility. Heide will get lots of minutes and will play the 3 or 4 depending on the matchup. TKR will play the 4 or 5 depending on the matchup. They are not role players lol. He said Furst will play 4 or 5. Last year we had 3 point guards but Lance played the 3 almost and came and played 1 when Braden sat.

And for the record again paint will play a forward at 3 - Vincent edwards and Robbie Hummel ring a bell?

Your tie to nba position is nonsensical and you are wrong on catchings again, paint already said he told catchings he wasn’t welcome here anymore when catchings still wanted to come.

He hasn’t named his starters yet but he said TKR, Loyer, Heide, and Miles will make the biggest jumps due to minutes and usage.

Reactions: DwaynePurvis00
There are so many things you are saying here that we have already told you that you are just flat out wrong. You continue to ignore reality. Then you come onto a post talking about a podcast by painter who contrasts completely with everything you’ve been saying and continue to make your stupid arguments. Did you even listen to the podcast? He is disputing just about everything you say here and everything we’ve been telling you.

He said this roster has lots of flexibility. Heide will get lots of minutes and will play the 3 or 4 depending on the matchup. TKR will play the 4 or 5 depending on the matchup. They are not role players lol. He said Furst will play 4 or 5. Last year we had 3 point guards but Lance played the 3 almost and came and played 1 when Braden sat.

And for the record again paint will play a forward at 3 - Vincent edwards and Robbie Hummel ring a bell?

Your tie to nba position is nonsensical and you are wrong on catchings again, paint already said he told catchings he wasn’t welcome here anymore when catchings still wanted to come.

He hasn’t named his starters yet but he said TKR, Loyer, Heide, and Miles will make the biggest jumps due to minutes and usage.
I feel weird sticking up for Wole here, but Robbie played the 4 and Vince only played the 3 briefly when MP was trying to play Vince, Biggie and Haas together. They went back to Vince at the 4 and Biggie at the 5 with IH coming off the bench, which worked much better.

I feel weird sticking up for Wole here, but Robbie played the 4 and Vince only played the 3 briefly when MP was trying to play Vince, Biggie and Haas together. They went back to Vince at the 4 and Biggie at the 5 with IH coming off the bench, which worked much better.
You should feel weird!
Hummel played a lot of 3 especially his senior year and even brought the ball up sometimes. Him and Vincent prove my point that paint will play them at the 3 if it is the best lineup. He’s not a position purist.

You should feel weird!
Hummel played a lot of 3 especially his senior year and even brought the ball up sometimes. Him and Vincent prove my point that paint will play them at the 3 if it is the best lineup. He’s not a position purist.
I completely agree that MP is not a position purist. I posted a link to the starting lineup by game for Robbie's senior season (I love that Sports Reference has this). I don't believe he played the three at all (LewJack, Ryne Smith, and either Barlow or Terone Johnson started every game), but to your point, Robbie actually played the 5 at times toward the end of the year and was bringing the ball up at times regardless of position.

Link - 2012 Purdue starters

For next year, ncaa has extended to 15 now.

“Beginning in 2025-2026, the NCAA will remove D1 scholarship restrictions, allowing all sports to divide scholarships among athletes, significantly impacting college basketball recruiting. More details here.

Theses changes will impact men’s basketball recruits in the following ways:

• D1 men’s basketball programs will be allowed to offer 15 scholarships, increased from the current limit of 13.
  • D1 men’s basketball will have a maximum roster limit of 15 players.
  • D1 men’s basketball, once a headcount sport, will now be classified as an equivalency sport. This means programs can now offer a mix of partial and full-ride scholarships.”
So, it looks like we could sign 3 total
Regarding bullet point #2. I read this as walk-ons may only be invited to join the team if all 15 scholarships are not used. This also appears to close the door on teams with rich NIL coffers adding players in excess to the number limited by scholarships.

Regarding bullet point #2. I read this as walk-ons may only be invited to join the team if all 15 scholarships are not used. This also appears to close the door on teams with rich NIL coffers adding players in excess to the number limited by scholarships.
Probably a dumb question but I wonder if walk-ons can practice with the team if they're not on the official roster?

Reactions: BoilerAndy
This is correct. It’s no longer scholarship limits but roster limits. Right now we have 4 Fr/So walk-ons. It’s unclear if there will be “inactive” walkons who don’t play in the games who don’t Count but I wouldn’t count on having traditional extra scholarships.

I completely agree that MP is not a position purist. I posted a link to the starting lineup by game for Robbie's senior season (I love that Sports Reference has this). I don't believe he played the three at all (LewJack, Ryne Smith, and either Barlow or Terone Johnson started every game), but to your point, Robbie actually played the 5 at times toward the end of the year and was bringing the ball up at times regardless of position.

Link - 2012 Purdue starters
Interesting! I could have sworn Robbie played some 3 but maybe it wasn’t as starter and he definitely brought the ball up at times.

I think ray davis played every position (even center but not as starter) except point guard. I liked him best as a 4.

I also think Grady eifert played some 3 as well.

Interesting! I could have sworn Robbie played some 3 but maybe it wasn’t as starter and he definitely brought the ball up at times.

I think ray davis played every position (even center but not as starter) except point guard. I liked him best as a 4.

I think the point is that outside of the PG and a traditional center, it doesn't matter. Robbie always played alongside at least three guards but that doesn't mean he wasn't playing the same role on offense that you'd expect to see from a three. Probably even more true on defense where Purdue typically switches at the 1 through 4.

I think his freshman year he played a lot of 3. Scott Martin played the 4, but he wanted to play the 3, which is one reason he transfered.

Saying 'his whole life' is probably hyperbole (maybe purposefully so?). He played varsity as an eighth grader and was a top 40 type recruit as a high school underclassman as a guard. He had a pretty significant foot injury as a sophomore or junior and seemed to morph into more of a guard/forward combo after that.

Haha got too caught up 😂

• Haha
Reactions: northside100
Speaking of catchings. Wonder how the new signing of the 22 year old 6’10 euro will impact his playing time/feature on offense since the euro is supposed to be pretty good.

Speaking of catchings. Wonder how the new signing of the 22 year old 6’10 euro will impact his playing time/feature on offense since the euro is supposed to be pretty good.
Isn't funny how these things always seem to happen? Player X goes to a different school.. only to have the same scenario happen at their new school... meanwhile we excel (usually) without them leaving them to wonder what could have been.

He could have made a truckload with NIL here if he was willing to follow Painter's process.. now.. he likely is stuck in a worse one. I have a hunch he transfers after this coming season.

He has too much sauce :)

Robbie only played 4 because those teams were small. He was a good rebounding 3 in his play.

Isn't funny how these things always seem to happen? Player X goes to a different school.. only to have the same scenario happen at their new school... meanwhile we excel (usually) without them leaving them to wonder what could have been.

He could have made a truckload with NIL here if he was willing to follow Painter's process.. now.. he likely is stuck in a worse one. I have a hunch he transfers after this coming season.

he was young and dumb.

Reactions: BoilerAndy and BBG

Grass isn’t always greener..but maybe it would have been had he not waited so long. I still Hope he is able to accomplish what he set out to do. Just wish (selfishly haha) he had been willing to do it at Purdue.

I also hope he wasn’t promised things only to find out they won’t actually happen….im thinking that may be the case, but hopefully not.

Reactions: BBG
Grass isn’t always greener..but maybe it would have been had he not waited so long. I still Hope he is able to accomplish what he set out to do. Just wish (selfishly haha) he had been willing to do it at Purdue.

I also hope he wasn’t promised things only to find out they won’t actually happen….im thinking that may be the case, but hopefully not.
Yeah I have zero ill-will towards him, but I think you are right... he was made promises and those won't come to pass. Things can be sleezy now in terms of college ball.

Reactions: RDUBoiler
Yeah I have zero ill-will towards him, but I think you are right... he was made promises and those won't come to pass. Things can be sleezy now in terms of college ball.
Especially with a former nba coach who is trying to make a splash in his first year. Maybe it would have been different had he de-committed way earlier in the process but I’m thinking he may be disappointed with how his time there is going to go (all speculation and hope I’m wrong but it’s not looking great).

Robbie only played 4 because those teams were small. He was a good rebounding 3 in his play.
He was definitely a stretch 4 (which could be considered a big 3) versus a more traditional 4. Agree that he didn't look a lot like the guys on the list of best college or NBA power forwards. IMO that was part of Robbie's effectiveness, i.e. using his guard skills against bigger players.

If Heide strictly plays the four it's conceivable that Benter backs up Myles at the three. You didn't ask me and I don't see any way that happens but I had the same question as you and that's the only scenario I can think of where Jack plays this season.
My guess is Colvin doesn't start but Berg does. Colvin may get 10 mpg if he can play any defense at all.

• Haha
Reactions: boilerzz

Once again, you’re a more mature and better person than me, which in fairness is a fairly low bar. I don’t wish the kid ill, but I’m certainly not rooting for him. Complete bullshit to literally show up on campus days before practice starts and then transfer out because you didn’t get assurances that you’ve been told all along you wouldn’t get. Add in reports that he actually had the conversation with Painter via phone rather than demonstrating any balls and showing up in person, and I have a hard time having any respect for him. I know he’s just a kid. The reports are he’s actually getting good guidance from home and going out and making stupid decisions anyway.

My guess is Colvin doesn't start but Berg does. Colvin may get 10 mpg if he can play any defense at all.
The first sentence here isn’t as hot as a take as some here will think. If Berg or DJ start, which seems unlikely but is certainly possible, Myles is going to be hard pressed to beat out Cam at the three. The second statement is just a ridiculous troll attempt.

Once again, you’re a more mature and better person than me, which in fairness is a fairly low bar. I don’t wish the kid ill, but I’m certainly not rooting for him. Complete bullshit to literally show up on campus days before practice starts and then transfer out because you didn’t get assurances that you’ve been told all along you wouldn’t get. Add in reports that he actually had the conversation with Painter via phone rather than demonstrating any balls and showing up in person, and I have a hard time having any respect for him. I know he’s just a kid. The reports are he’s actually getting good guidance from home and going out and making stupid decisions anyway.
I won’t lie, it’s going to be tough rooting for him. However, I always try and root for Indiana kids.

Definitely disappointed in his decisions, but as we have said, apparently it had happened multiple times and Paint was just over it.

KC could have fought for a spot and learned some life lessons along the way and probably have achieved his goals at Purdue. Now, it looks like he’s going to learn the hard way that there are ppl in the world who make false promises and it could impact his goals…hopefully I’m wrong and he plays a lot at byu and gets drafted. But I’m guessing it’s not going to go the way he was told.

Reactions: northside100
The first sentence here isn’t as hot as a take as some here will think. If Berg or DJ start, which seems unlikely but is certainly possible, Myles is going to be hard pressed to beat out Cam at the three. The second statement is just a ridiculous troll attempt.
That second statement is what I was laughing at. Matt Painter severely disagrees with that statement.

I won’t lie, it’s going to be tough rooting for him. However, I always try and root for Indiana kids.

Definitely disappointed in his decisions, but as we have said, apparently it had happened multiple times and Paint was just over it.

KC could have fought for a spot and learned some life lessons along the way and probably have achieved his goals at Purdue. Now, it looks like he’s going to learn the hard way that there are ppl in the world who make false promises and it could impact his goals…hopefully I’m wrong and he plays a lot at byu and gets drafted. But I’m guessing it’s not going to go the way he was told.
Honestly this kid is still projecting as a first-round draft pick. He is an extremely talented player and would have played he had no reason for guaranteed playing time. I seen it happening when he announced going to play for 500k rather than win a state championship for Brownsburg. IMO he went from a committed player right then to a child star. And then all the childish crap just kept happening such as refusing to play. I wish him well but anyone thinking he won't play are probably misinformed. IMO him going elsewhere was the best move for all.

Honestly this kid is still projecting as a first-round draft pick. He is an extremely talented player and would have played he had no reason for guaranteed playing time. I seen it happening when he announced going to play for 500k rather than win a state championship for Brownsburg. IMO he went from a committed player right then to a child star. And then all the childish crap just kept happening such as refusing to play. I wish him well but anyone thinking he won't play are probably misinformed. IMO him going elsewhere was the best move for all.
Oh he will play but not sure he’s going to play the mins he thinks he is going to—he would have played the same at Purdue or more . I have seen him late first round to early second. Hope he can showcase his skills at byu to get there.

Reactions: oldboiler52
My overreaction to interview is.....some things never change.

At end CMP said most important thing is still outrebounding opponents and limiting TOs.

I think Furst is proven rebounder who will get a shot alongside TKR first (furst, haha).

I also think we'll see Gicarri eventually in Lance Jones role as 3rd guard. Who knows if he starts, but he'll play alot as 3rd ball handler to take some pressure of Braden and theoretically keep TOs down some, especially to close out games.

The key to how much Myles and Cam play could also be as simple as TOs and rebounding too. Both are OK as is at the 3, but if Colvin wants to be a 2, his ability to dribble against pressure will be key to more minutes. The same could be said for Cams ability to keep B1G 4s off the glass if he slides to the 4.

Last edited:
zzzzzzzzz Time will tell about Colvin, and honestly, I hope he comes out of the chute as an absolute killer on the court. I just haven't seen that promise yet.

Reactions: Schnelk
zzzzzzzzz Time will tell about Colvin, and honestly, I hope he comes out of the chute as an absolute killer on the court. I just haven't seen that promise yet.
Guess you missed those glimpses in the limited mins he played last year….and painter heavily disagrees with your personal assessment on Colvin.

Reactions: oldboiler52
You said the same things last year. How'd that work out?
He performed very well In the role that he had. You continue to not understand his role was not to drive to the basket and create his own shot. He got the ball to Zach and played good defense down the stretch from March and on…I also told you he was going to be pretty good THIS year.

He performed very well In the role that he had. You continue to not understand his role was not to drive to the basket and create his own shot. He got the ball to Zach and played good defense down the stretch from March and on…I also told you he was going to be pretty good THIS year.
As I've told you....I hope he's a pure terror to opponents. His defense "improved" some last year, but not nearly enough to merit starter minutes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT