ADVERTISEMENT

OL

A lot has changed since the Fresno State game.

Some players went PRO, some transferred out, some transferred in. This is a different team.

Night and day from the team that faced Fresno State to the team that will face Indy State. Ie. See my previous post about Mockabee.
Which was night and day from the team Brohm coached.

Why do they need to be basketball on grass?
Our offense sputtered in the red zone. There were times they could not pick up a first down. They were forced to run because we couldn't pass. If we get back to an up tempo, pass happy offense, then our run game will explode, including a healthy Card that can run.

We'll see what materializes as this teams strength, but Purdue is known for their cradle of QBs. We need to have the confidence of scorability, move it around, quickly and effectively, this is what I mean by "basketball on grass".

Our schedule will not permit us the ability to play straight up run at them in a cloud of dust approach--at least not yet.

Our offense sputtered in the red zone. There were times they could not pick up a first down. They were forced to run because we couldn't pass. If we get back to an up tempo, pass happy offense, then our run game will explode, including a healthy Card that can run.

We'll see what materializes as this teams strength, but Purdue is known for their cradle of QBs. We need to have the confidence of scorability, move it around, quickly and effectively, this is what I mean by "basketball on grass".

Our schedule will not permit us the ability to play straight up run at them in a cloud of dust approach--at least not yet.
Purdue had one of the best run offenses in the big ten last year. They couldn’t punch it in in the GL because there was not enough beef in the line. Scheme will be fine as they add talent and dudes, get bigger and more physical on the OL. They look way bigger and more physical. Schedule affords the opportunity to prove they have.

Reactions: z_one
I’m not. The influx of talent has me hopeful.

The coaching staff has me feeling otherwise but I’d love to be wrong.

Can’t believe you could watch games like Fresno, Syracuse, Nebraska, etc. last year and go yeah…definitely everything is fine…

The kids get paid now. The coaches make mega $$$. They aren’t free from real and logical criticism.
I’m not sure how you watched PSU, Syracuse, and NE in 22 and said “Yeah, that’s a good defense”. I’ll add in FAU.

Our offense won our games. (And, of course, there was the LSU game)

I’m not sure how you watched PSU, Syracuse, and NE in 22 and said “Yeah, that’s a good defense”. I’ll add in FAU.

Our offense won our games. (And, of course, there was the LSU game)
FAU was with backup QB. D was on the field the entire game but also got the game winning stop.

FAU was with backup QB. D was on the field the entire game but also got the game winning stop.
I think Trey Palmer just scored again.

1 carry, 60 Yds
7 receptions, 237 yds, 2TDs

I’m not sure I want to post the Auburn and LSU bowl games.

Then there was the first half at OSU in 2021. 45 pts…oof

You don’t think our 21 and 22 defenses were good? They were VASTLy better than last years.

🤔. Did Walters give up 45 pts to OSU in the first half. 🤔

Me looking up the definition of vastly…🤪
🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
I think Trey Palmer just scored again.

1 carry, 60 Yds
7 receptions, 237 yds, 2TDs

I’m not sure I want to post the Auburn and LSU bowl games.

Then there was the first half at OSU in 2021. 45 pts…oof

🤔. Me looking up the definition of vastly…🤪
🤣🤣🤣
Now do last year. Was even worse

Except Brohm had a top 40 defense in 2022 and we had a bottom 20 defense in 2023. But sure, we were “better”

You’re twisting the facts to support a narrative that hasn’t been true for this coach at Purdue.
Damn it 18, we all know that CJB didn't recruit defensive players and when he did they came from the Purdue Intramural Flag Football Team......TIC
A #40 ranked defense, and multiple players making NFL rosters. I hate it when facts get in the way.......

• Haha
Reactions: z_one and pboiler18
Well guys, I'll tell you what. We're going to find out soon enough. Everywhere he's been, in year 2 the turnaround became apparent. Scheme is installed and the talent improved. Going to need the guys up front to step up, as that is the biggest question mark. It'll be cool not having OC Brothers out there ibn the middle not having a clue what to do though, lol
I, like many others, are hoping that Walters has the players to be successful in year two.

Reactions: FLAG HUNTER
I, like many others, are hoping that Walters has the players to be successful in year two.
We may be better from a roster standpoint in terms of size, speed, etc, but they still face a top 10 SOS, which doesn't help when you're rebuilding with a new coach.

My biggest disappointment last year, at least in the first half of the season, and more specifically, the Cuse game, was a lack of recognition and assignment discipline by the defense. How many times did the SU QB run the read option and barely get touched when he kept the ball?

Damn it 18, we all know that CJB didn't recruit defensive players and when he did they came from the Purdue Intramural Flag Football Team......TIC
A #40 ranked defense, and multiple players making NFL rosters. I hate it when facts get in the way.......
Then you’d know he made those stats up. I pulled the actual stats and cited sources. He isn’t close.

Which defensive players did Brohm put in the NFL?

We may be better from a roster standpoint in terms of size, speed, etc, but they still face a top 10 SOS, which doesn't help when you're rebuilding with a new coach.

My biggest disappointment last year, at least in the first half of the season, and more specifically, the Cuse game, was a lack of recognition and assignment discipline by the defense. How many times did the SU QB run the read option and barely get touched when he kept the ball?
I’d guess that’s a reason why Kane lost play calling duties. Team got better as the year went on and finished on a high note.

So pboiler18 makes up a stat, ie top 40 2022 defense. And you say #40 ranked defense. And call it fact even though this is completely false.

That is called Fake News.

Reactions: BoilerN
Healthy and in his 2nd year in the system. And with, IMO, better WRs. Good receiving TEs a year older. Look at the guys around the league, he could be a top 3 QB in the B1G.

This article details Card’s injury in the 2023 season.
Injury started at the Illinois game in September.

Card bulked up to withstand the hits for the 2024 season.

So pboiler18 makes up a stat, ie top 40 2022 defense. And you say #40 ranked defense. And call it fact even though this is completely false.

That is called Fake News.
Worst part is, when you present them with actual facts, they malfunction and can no longer talk about it and run away. @pboiler18 would even acknowledge me once he gets hit with facts. And when he does, it’s off topic of the stats he originally brought up. His mind isn’t very open I guess.

I think this is a misrepresentation. Only a few guys know the timing of this but our 2023 qb committed years prior. “His qb?” It was a shock he went there he tried to go several other places first and then came back here and then realized he wasn’t wanted here. His dad hated brohm. Also he had to wait for mock to get to spring season to get his scholly as there were “initial counter” issues and Walters said afterwards he screwed up and wasn’t supposed to do that and he had to wait until spring as I understand it. Brohm didn’t have to stay the first time and he did, he is gone now but he brought us respect. No need to trash his character or integrity here.
How is it a misrepresentation? Because you say it is? I say you don't know squat about the situation. Brohm had one foot out the door during the BT Championship. Plummer (not Allen) was on the fast track to Louisville as soon as Brohm got the call. Brohm was well paid. Purdue elevated him to a BT coach and paid him top dollar for barely a +.500 record. You want to deify the guy, that is your choice. He's gone and so is the BT West that made him look better than he really was.

I remember it being more QB scrambles that killed us. But either way it wasn’t good.

I remember it being more QB scrambles that killed us. But either way it wasn’t good.
That dude from Syracuse would just fake a handoff and then run outside and no one paid any attention to him. Over and over again. The freakin Wisconsin QB did it too. Brothers went down and Yanni solidified things a bit down the stretch. Now we'll have Jenkins and an older Yanni there.

That dude from Syracuse would just fake a handoff and then run outside and no one paid any attention to him. Over and over again. The freakin Wisconsin QB did it too. Brothers went down and Yanni solidified things a bit down the stretch. Now we'll have Jenkins and an older Yanni there.
It doesn’t work with @pboiler18 s narrative, but the defense got better as the year went on. Once Walter’s started calling it, it got better. Purdue finished the year strong.

It doesn’t work with @pboiler18 s narrative, but the defense got better as the year went on. Once Walter’s started calling it, it got better. Purdue finished the year strong.
It obviously improved as the season progressed. Almost like it was a brand new system installed with sub par talent. I've had this conversation with that guy though. His belief is that Walters should have invented a brand new scheme tailored perfectly to the guys he had, then maybe install his scheme in like year 3 when he had the players. lol

It obviously improved as the season progressed. Almost like it was a brand new system installed with sub par talent. I've had this conversation with that guy though. His belief is that Walters should have invented a brand new scheme tailored perfectly to the guys he had, then maybe install his scheme in like year 3 when he had the players. lol
But he can’t actually tell me what scheme works best for a defense starting a WR at CB.

He also makes up stats, then runs when asked to defend himself or stats are brought up. Ya. I’ll keep calling him out.

How is it a misrepresentation? Because you say it is? I say you don't know squat about the situation. Brohm had one foot out the door during the BT Championship. Plummer (not Allen) was on the fast track to Louisville as soon as Brohm got the call. Brohm was well paid. Purdue elevated him to a BT coach and paid him top dollar for barely a +.500 record. You want to deify the guy, that is your choice. He's gone and so is the BT West that made him look better than he really was.
Plummer didn’t even play for Purdue when brohm left LOL

• Haha
It obviously improved as the season progressed. Almost like it was a brand new system installed with sub par talent. I've had this conversation with that guy though. His belief is that Walters should have invented a brand new scheme tailored perfectly to the guys he had, then maybe install his scheme in like year 3 when he had the players.
That is exactly what he should have done if he wanted to win. Running an offense that you plainly don't have the personell for is simply poor coaching. Teaching that offense to players who won't be there if and when you do have the talent is also not productive.

• Haha
That is exactly what he should have done if he wanted to win. Running an offense that you plainly don't have the personell for is simply poor coaching. Teaching that offense to players who won't be there if and when you do have the talent is also not productive.

We get it. You got a copy of CFB24 and your are now a coaching genius. Congrats!

Last edited:
But he can’t actually tell me what scheme works best for a defense starting a WR at CB.

He also makes up stats, then runs when asked to defend himself or stats are brought up. Ya. I’ll keep calling him out.
The other poster was correct. You don’t play a defense where you give bad CBs no help.

I see Nyland Green is already hurt. Excuses coming in 3…2…

Nobody suggested a completely different scheme…bud adjusting the one you are running to better hide your shortcomings is a step

Reactions: mklinker
The other poster was correct. You don’t play a defense where you give bad CBs no help.

Nobody suggested a completely different scheme…bud adjusting the one you are running to better hide your shortcomings is a step

At least Mklinker is consistent with the Purdue hate. You keep going back and forth.

Excuses? It’s called depth. We have more depth in the DB room.

Hate to burst your hate bubble but Nyland Green is expected to play in the Norte Dame game.

Reactions: z_one and BoilerN
We get it. You got a copy of CFB25 and your are now a coaching genius. Congrats!
Your responses are always so childish. If you had a valid argument you would use data rather than childish insults. Finishing last in the Big Ten in defensive stats is all the data I need to know that we were NOT running a successful scheme for our personell.

• Haha
Your responses are always so childish. If you had a valid argument you would use data rather than childish insults. Finishing last in the Big Ten in defensive stats is all the data I need to know that we were NOT running a successful scheme for our personell.

Throwing a tantrum in this board is not childish? I just defend my team and call out and respond.

Yes our defense gave up way to many big plays. Well documented.
Question. Which defense had a player with most sacks in the B1G? How about 3rd most sacks.

Which defense had a freshmen all American at safety? PFF grade off the charts? Hmmm.

Did you know Nyland Green was ranked top 50 player in the country in his recruiting class? You might not care because this does not fit your narrative.

Throwing a tantrum in this board is not childish? I just defend my team and call out and respond.

Yes our defense gave up way to many big plays. Well documented.
Question. Which defense had a player with most sacks in the B1G? How about 3rd most sacks.

Which defense had a freshmen all American at safety? PFF grade off the charts? Hmmm.

Did you know Nyland Green was ranked top 50 player in the country in his recruiting class? You might not care because this does not fit your narrative.
I challenge you to show me a "tantram."

So we had one talented defensive play who is no longer with the team. One talented played who is still with the team. And one highly rated player WHO IS INJURED and may be back for ND who wasn't with the team. And this is your data to support running an offense that we don't have the talent to run? Scourton was great as was the FS.....and we still finished LAST in the big ten is overall defense rankings.

Reactions: pboiler18

So we had one talented defensive play who is no longer with the team. One talented played who is still with the team. And one highly rated player WHO IS INJURED and may be back for ND who wasn't with the team. And this is your data to support running an offense that we don't have the talent to run? Scourton was great as was the FS.....and we still finished LAST in the big ten is overall defense rankings.

I do not need to throw a tantrum like you. I simply respond.

You commented about the defense and I responded. And now you are throwing in the offense?

Back on the defense. Was Scourton the B1G sack leader under Brohm? No it was under CRW.
Our FS has a name, his name is Dillon Thienemen.
And KJ was the 3rd B1G sack leader last year.

And now on the offense. I have patiently explained to you about our offense but keeps falling on your deaf ears.
I will explain this to you one more time, so a third grader can understand.

1. Our QB got injured and in September, this was a big deal.
2. We did not have depth at WR room like we have now. We have bigger and faster WRs that fits the Harrell offense mold.
3. Our best TE had a season ending injury. Our best WR had a season ending injury.
4. We were small and thin at the OL. Now we have depth and size.

If you do not understand this, someone more patient will need to explain it to you so a preschooler can understand.

Or just sit and wait until the first game starts at Ross Ade.

Oh wait. You do not have season tickets. Someone else took it.

Last edited:

Green is hurt, but sounds like could be ready by week 1 if it wasn’t Indiana state.

Where have I made excuses? That’s you. Excuses and misinformation.

What do you think Walter’s did as the defense got better as the year finished?

Is thieneman or Jenkins your talented player returning? Or is it Brevard? Green will be back by ND. Sounds like he might be ready for Indiana state, but they want him to be 100%.

Green is hurt, but sounds like could be ready by week 1 if it wasn’t Indiana state.

Where have I made excuses? That’s you. Excuses and misinformation.

What do you think Walter’s did as the defense got better as the year finished?
He played teams with less talent the the remainder of the opponents.

• Haha
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT