ADVERTISEMENT

CMP/Purdue Choke Program of The Decade...

Did he get in the tourney every year? Overachieve with a team

you mean the same thing that happens to 3-4 seeds every year? This tourney is always a bs crapshoot. The format sucks.
Yeah, it’s such a crapshoot when a 1 seed has to play arguably one of the worst 16 seeds ever and gets beat. Whether you like the format or not, Painter sucks in March.

Or this team is

are you talking about virginias divine intervention run? Which started with us. So much luck in this tourney it’s insane.
:) :)
Yeah, it’s such a crapshoot when a 1 seed has to play arguably one of the worst 16 seeds ever and gets beat. Whether you like the format or not, Painter sucks in March.

He seems rather hell-bent on defending Painter, not sure why.

Wow I really didn’t think such complete dim bulbs could be Purdue fans. Hopefully your degree is from IUPUI.

You really want to blame Painter for players clanking threes and not getting the ball to the national player of the year in the most important game of the year? Fine. Let’s fire him.

Who on earth are you going to bring into Purdue that is going to recruit better players and coach better big ten teams than Painter? You can’t win the tournament if you don’t even make it.

He's not the dim bulb. Apologists like you, who continue to make excuses for arguably the worst tourney coach in history, are...

Guess what…FDU doubled and tripled Edey because they wanted us to chuck 3’s because the scouting report said we don’t make them. Painter, who is the coach, should have a plan to combat that. He got out schemed by a coach in his first of D1. Stop making excuses, this is 3 years in a row.
Exactly. Drove me nuts to watch missed 3 after missed 3. There was no plan B. The worst part about it is this wasn't the first game we sucked balls at shooting 3s. How in the hell didn't Painter have a plan B?

Yeah. Let’s can the guy who gets us in the tourney every year. Can the guy who overachieved with a young backcourt. We honestly shouldn’t have gotten to this point this season. Any other coach and Purdue doesn’t do this well.

We definitely didn’t over-achieve this year. We had an easy big ten schedule, lost both games to our biggest rival, and embarrassed ourselves with the biggest upset in tournament history against the 300th best team in the country who shouldn’t even have been in the tournament. FAU had a better season than us. It’s not how you start, but how you finish. Good coaches improve their team. Not-so-good coaches do the opposite. I think our team was more talented than we gave them credit for.

I wholeheartedly disagree with the notion that Painter should not be fired. Three straight finishes like that, and it's time to move on. I am not even looking forward to next year. I honestly doubt I will watch if he's still at the helm. What's the point of expending that much energy to completely collapse at the end?
Good news, don't want you around or watching, you add nothing.

Reactions: mathboy
We definitely didn’t over-achieve this year. We had an easy big ten schedule, lost both games to our biggest rival, and embarrassed ourselves with the biggest upset in tournament history against the 300th best team in the country who shouldn’t even have been in the tournament. FAU had a better season than us. It’s not how you start, but how you finish. Good coaches improve their team. Not-so-good coaches do the opposite. I think our team was more talented than we gave them credit for.
I believe this year was Matt's best coaching year and yes, I firmly believe we overachieved. Great coaching job to win both Big 10 titles with this young group.

Reactions: GregJM24
I still do not understand why people still defend Painter. I think it really is time we move on and try to find someone else. It's not because of the fact he lost, but the fact that his teams (except for 2018-2019) have this commonality come crunch time / when it matters most:
1) Players get too apprehensive about taking shots, being creative or about screwing up in general.
2) He only knows how to play the game one way and refuses to at least TRY and adjust. (Why didn't we try zone at least once? why not push the tempo before their defense gets set? Even the broadcasters were getting frustrated and I believe it was Seth Davis that we heard yelling at Purdue to push the pace and hurry up)
3) We more often than not play into the other team's game plan vs the other way around.

I think someone should get a petition going just so people (including those on this board) can get a glimpse of how unhappy the fanbase is.

Just from recent memory:

2023: Lost to #16 seed
2022: Lost to #15 seed
2021: Lost to #13 seed
2019: Choked away a trip to the Final Four by substituting in 6'6" walk-on Grady Eifert to grab a rebound vs 6'9" Aaron Wheeler or 6'10" Trevion Williams
Hate to interrupt your trip to Fantasy Island, but Painter isn’t getting fired.

• Wow
Reactions: clankhan
Pat you continually prove on here, you are the dim bulb.
I'm not the one who thinks everything is OK because Purdue won a conference championship. You keep your wish of everything remaining the same and expecting different results...

Reactions: clankhan
I'm not the one who thinks everything is OK because Purdue won a conference championship. You keep your wish of everything remaining the same and expecting different results...
Just put him on ignore. Little Willy has been nothing but a stubborn sourpuss. He’s probably a blast at social events.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT