ADVERTISEMENT

Catchings and Release

Born Boiler

Junior
Dec 6, 2006
I wanted to start a new thread just to use that title. Actually, I come to bury him, not to praise him.

The last time I watched him on court, Brownsburg was playing a tournament nail-biter, hanging on to a five-point lead in the final two minutes of regulation, and the purple people passed to Catchings. Instead of moving the ball and running off time with no shot-clock to force the offense, he stood until he drew a double-team from 25 feet out and then jacked a three-point brick that clanged so far away it started an easy fastbreak the other way that cut the lead to three.

Brownsburg managed to survive, winning in spite of him rather than because of him, at least until the bitter end.

The following was taken from the Fan Nation / Sports Illustrated report on the 2023 IHSAA Class 4A Semi-State final when Ben Davis defeated Brownsburg 66-38 …

“Brownsburg, which edged No. 9 Jennings County 51-47 in the semis, was able to put up more of a fight against the (Ben Davis) Giants, albeit for a half. Forward Elhadj Diallo, the only senior regular, led the Bulldogs with 15 points. Junior Kanon Catchings had 12 but was benched after mouthing off to a referee and receiving a technical foul with 5:24 remaining. That was in the middle of a 10-0 Giants run.”

“Catchings made just three of 12 shots, including one of seven 3-pointers.”

“The nephew of Hall of Famer Tamika Catchings could be heard trash-talking throughout the game. That fired up the Giants.”

Next he moved on to a basketball factory. Gotta wonder about that report card.

No need to bash the kid. He is doing what he thinks is best for him. Really wished he was going to play for Purdue but good luck to him wherever he goes.
That was pretty mild. Kid commits to a program knowing how they work, decides first that he's probably too good for said program and decommits without telling his parents, recommits, then calls the coach the day before practice starts looking for guarantees. IMO he's open to some level of criticism. I agree that the kid should do whatever he thinks is best for him but let's not pretend that this wasn't handled poorly.

No need to bash the kid. He is doing what he thinks is best for him. Really wished he was going to play for Purdue but good luck to him wherever he goes.
I am missing the bashing. Sharing facts isn't bashing. Now the whole system needs multiple bashings, college basketball is pretty much ruined.

Reactions: Knucklehead1952
Obviously the kid is ultra-talented but I love that our coach/program is in a place where we can see the issue ahead of time and prevent it from becoming a bigger problem than it is right now. An unhappy player can drag down the entire team during the season.

I won't pretend to know exactly what it is we are walking away from right now. It could be that he goes and flourishes elsewhere. And if that happens, that's ok. The list of players that we didn't get is long and distinguished. The funny thing is, there are still other good players out there. And we've seen instances where losing or not getting a player landed us an even better one, even if less heralded. I think we got Edey because Dickinson and Kalkbrenner passed on us and he got a head start because Haarms transferred. And I think it was a decommitment (CJ Walker?) that allowed us to get Carsen Edwards.

So in a way, I'm almost proud of how this went down. It means the coach and program are in a good place. I'm guessing 75% of programs don't have enough talent to have top 50 players worried about getting guarantees for starting and/or playing time. Most of the remaining 25% would guarantee whatever the player wanted, whether they follow through or not.

The program is successful and bigger than any single recruit or player. It's a great place to be.

Wonder if CMP knew this was coming he reads the reports , uncoachable in his system , best for everyone, he'd been a better man going through the CMP program when got out , especially in the value of TEAM .

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Wonder if CMP knew this was coming he reads the reports , uncoachable in his system , best for everyone, he'd been a better man going through the CMP program when got out , especially in the value of TEAM .
Agree with the overall sentiment here that it's better this blow up now versus later but I'd say that 1) although he ultimately made the choice to hold to his values and not make and promises, MP DID very much want Catchings at Purdue 2) I feel great about where this program stands but it seems overly optimistic to me to not recognize that this is in fact a loss.

Agree with the overall sentiment here that it's better this blow up now versus later but I'd say that 1) although he ultimately made the choice to hold to his values and not make and promises, MP DID very much want Catchings at Purdue 2) I feel great about where this program stands but it seems overly optimistic to me to not recognize that this is in fact a loss.
Agree that it's.a loss and that Painter clearly worked hard to keep him. That being said, I don't think the team was counting on him necessarily to be a key contributor. Braden, Fletch, TKR, Heide, and some of the other guys will step up and carry next year's team a long way.

A kid with considerable potential (apparently). Personally I question how effective he'll be come regular season and some muscle goes against him. Awfully skinny.
Without him, it's not the like the cupboard is bare or thin behind him.
Heide and Colvin are arguably the most explosive athletes we have and both shoot it very well.
Even if Catchings were better, it would be painful for me to see those guys not get a real opportunity next year. They are too good to sit (more than a freshmen year)
Either could be every bit as important to us as Catchings might have been.
They'll be on 2 years in the system (and weight room) and have a grasp of what defense means.
And we might keep them longer than a year too.

I don't know how this went down. It could well be about guaranteed playing time as many of you suggested. However, I think it may well have been about NIL. Perhaps Catchings wanted some (or more) upfront which is not in keeping with the way Purdue has handled it up till now. Instead, it appears players get it (or more) after they have proven themselves in the program. Though I hate to lose a talent like Kanon, that is the way I prefer to see it handled.

I don't know how this went down. It could well be about guaranteed playing time as many of you suggested. However, I think it may well have been about NIL. Perhaps Catchings wanted some (or more) upfront which is not in keeping with the way Purdue has handled it up till now. Instead, it appears players get it (or more) after they have proven themselves in the program. Though I hate to lose a talent like Kanon, that is the way I prefer to see it handled.
the first. Won't be the last.

Reactions: pboiler18
Confirmed on the other site directly with the coaching staff that it was about playing guarantees.

Being the most talented player on the roster…Catchings would have had considerable playing time and should have started. If it’s too good to be true about the talent coming to Purdue…it probably isn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Russ Ford
A kid with considerable potential (apparently). Personally I question how effective he'll be come regular season and some muscle goes against him. Awfully skinny.
Heide and Colvin are arguably the most explosive athletes we have and both shoot it very well.
Even if Catchings were better, it would be painful for me to see those guys not get a real opportunity next year. They are too good to sit (more than a freshmen year)
They'll be on 2 years in the system (and weight room) and have a grasp of what defense means.
Potentially a valid point, i.e. Catchings is highly ranked because he's long, explosive and skilled, i.e. an NBA prototype.

We'll never know, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be a better college player than Cam and others, particularly if he's only in college for a year or two.

Kanon apparently has poor listening skills. If I've heard it once I've heard it a hundred times. CMP does not guarantee playing time .

Reactions: Schnelk
Being the most talented player on the roster…Catchings would have had considerable playing time and should have started. If it’s too good to be true about the talent coming to Purdue…it probably isn’t.
What's your basis for saying that he 'should' have started?

He has NBA talent…there are NO Purdue players on the roster that you can say that about.

If Glenn Robinson wanted guaranteed playing time….would Painter and Purdue be so stupid not to grant him such. Instead…show him the door. What a bunch of morons!

Now…I understand why there are no National Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Mackey.

Catchings was the gem in the incoming recruiting class. Don’t mess it up!

Last edited:
You never want a kid who doesn't want to be here.....It is odd this late in the game...What schools have openings for him? I think he is going back to his semi pro league

Reactions: pboiler18
The Catchings situation is just a more contemporary example of the Emoni Bates situation. Strikingly similar players, too.

He has NBA talent…there are NO Purdue players on the roster that you can say that about.

If Glenn Robinson wanted guaranteed playing time….would Painter and Purdue be so stupid not to grant him such. Instead…show him the door. What a bunch of morons!

Now…I understand why there are no National Championship banners hanging from the rafters at Mackey.

You think Catchings will be the overall number one pick in the draft? Lol

Catchings will play in the NBA…no current player on Purdue’s roster will play in the NBA. Catchings had the highest ceiling talent wise on our roster. You do not mess that up…and run him off! Dolts! Back to the normal Purdue…let’s see 44 years…that would be in 2068.

Last edited:

U must be a FSU fan, enjoy that program.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
And proud to be a Seminoles fan and graduate…2 National Championships in football. I’m still waiting here…

Last edited:
Catchings will play in the NBA…no current player on Purdue’s roster will play in the NBA. Catchings had the highest ceiling talent wise on our roster. You do not mess that up…and run him off! Dolts! Back to the normal Purdue…let’s see 44 years…that would be in 2068.
Colvin. Jacobsen. Possibly Harris and Heide. Small possibility of Smith.

Are you seriously comparing Catchings to Glenn Robinson? 😂

MP made promises to Biggie, so it's not like he won't do it for elite players, he clearly didn't think that Catchings was at that level and the facts back him up. I'm with you in believing that anyone saying that this is either for the best or not a big deal is mistaken, but Cathings is an elite prospect because his skill level for his height, length and athleticism is very high. Don't confuse an elite prospect for an elite player. He's nowhere close to the latter as demonstrated by his productivity (or relative lack thereof).

Catchings has a chance to be an outstanding player in the NBA…no one on our roster or coming in next year has the ceiling at the pro level that Catchings has! In fact…there are no legitimate NBA players on our roster next year. Catchings will have a nice career in the NBA…

When a player has such a high ceiling…you do NOT run him off!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: boilerzz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT