ADVERTISEMENT

Carsen E.

ddmills333

True Freshman
Nov 10, 2009
I have watched every video on him available to the public. Seems to have a great shot, good court vision, and penetrates well. He reminds me of a young Yogi. Thoughts??????

Although I am one of the biggest anti-loosier fans out there, I am excited to have a player that resembles yogi's game. I think he's a huge get for CMP and will have a great career here. Can't wait to see him in black and gold!

Boiler up!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Viguy
To me he looks like the best all around point guard prospect that MP has signed. Hope that turns out to be the case.

Reactions: nagemj02
I have watched every video on him available to the public. Seems to have a great shot, good court vision, and penetrates well. He reminds me of a young Yogi. Thoughts??????

Although I am one of the biggest anti-loosier fans out there, I am excited to have a player that resembles yogi's game. I think he's a huge get for CMP and will have a great career here. Can't wait to see him in black and gold!

Boiler up!!!!!!!!!
I thought I read he was at least acquainted with the concept of playing defense.

Reactions: punaj

Boiler up!!!!!!!!!
This is the most recent video. It's a highlight video so take it for what it's worth as they don't call them lowlights for a reason. He seems to have good form on his jumpshot and has good body control as he drives to the bucket. His passing seems to be good too. The one thing that you can't tell from all of these videos is his defense.

Reactions: Summy1
From the scouting reports I've read and comments coming from the Purdue coaches, defense is one of his strengths. I'm sure there will be an adjustment period due to the level of competition and Purdue's scheme but he has the physical traits and the will to become a very good defensive player.

Reactions: Heller
I have enjoyed the videos of Carson, and I have high hopes that he will play a lot for Purdue and certainly continue to push PJ to get better. (Notr that I think PJ has made huge strides since his freshman year and even since the start of this one.). Carson will certainly not have the space to either drive or get his shot off like he does now. PJ will teach him a lot about decision making, running the motion and defending. What I like most is that Painter seems to finally be finding the pieces to insure stable transition from one season to the next. The future is bright and Edwards is hopefully a very bright bulb in that future.

Reactions: pufan4
Am I the only one that never considered Kramer a point guard? I know he handled the ball, but to me, he was always an off guard....
He pretty much was the off guard because LJ was really the true pg, but I considered him a pg. If you look back, there were many times that CMP has played 2 pg together. Purdue also uses many different players to bring the ball up.

This is the most recent video. It's a highlight video so take it for what it's worth as they don't call them lowlights for a reason. He seems to have good form on his jumpshot and has good body control as he drives to the bucket. His passing seems to be good too. The one thing that you can't tell from all of these videos is his defense.

Uh...he good. Knows what to do with the ball and definitely has some swagger. This guy could be a crowd favorite from the get go.

until someone comes in and proves they can hit outside shots, i will reserve judgement on his shooting. supposedly we have 3 great shooters but i have yet to see ks,cline or mathias hit consistently. as a point guard, if he can distribute and play defense and score occasionally , i will be happy

Reminds me of Des Bane.

I was watching that highlight video closely for any drives to the basket, since that seems to be our biggest weakness now. He made tons of threes, and had a couple layups where it was a fast break or he made a cut and was passed to, but I was interested in seeing him driving from the perimeter and finishing.

One thing that concerned me a little is that 3 out of 4 of his drives ended in an underhand scoop style layup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he'll be able to do that in college ball because there is too much height and experienced shot blockers. I'm worried that he'll get swatted every time he tries that. Might be a bad habit to break.

I was watching that highlight video closely for any drives to the basket, since that seems to be our biggest weakness now. He made tons of threes, and had a couple layups where it was a fast break or he made a cut and was passed to, but I was interested in seeing him driving from the perimeter and finishing.

One thing that concerned me a little is that 3 out of 4 of his drives ended in an underhand scoop style layup. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think he'll be able to do that in college ball because there is too much height and experienced shot blockers. I'm worried that he'll get swatted every time he tries that. Might be a bad habit to break.

Pick nits much?

I've watched several of his games in full and have a few comments:
  • Carsen Edwards can absolutely beat people off the dribble and finish in traffic, as well as you'd expect a 5'11 player to do
  • The scoop layup is what heady players who are undersized used to avoid getting their shot blocked. You see it at all levels and it can absolutely be a weapon at the D1 level. The value is that it goes up more quickly and you aren't presenting the ball to the shot blocker.

• Carsen Edwards can absolutely beat people off the dribble and finish in traffic, as well as you'd expect a 5'11 player to do
  • The scoop layup is what heady players who are undersized used to avoid getting their shot blocked. You see it at all levels and it can absolutely be a weapon at the D1 level. The value is that it goes up more quickly and you aren't presenting the ball to the shot blocker.

Melo's play is more fluid (not saying "better") than Yogi's. Yogi changes speed a lot - does some crazy quick bursts - not sure I've seen quite the same from Carsen. I think Carsen reminds me more of Melo, though I hope he ends up being able to shoot like Yogi.

That makes sense. I guess I was thinking the scoop shot would be easier to block because it starts lower and therefore takes longer to reach the basket. But I see what you're saying.

Melo's play is more fluid (not saying "better") than Yogi's. Yogi changes speed a lot - does some crazy quick bursts - not sure I've seen quite the same from Carsen. I think Carsen reminds me more of Melo, though I hope he ends up being able to shoot like Yogi.
Melo is bigger than Carsen. Melo reminds me so much of Etwaun on the court. If they played the same position I think they could be almost identical players.

Last edited:
Is he coming in to play point guard or is he going to be a 5'11" shooting gaurd?.....Unless he is built like a tank....gonna be hard being a short guy in a major conference....

Is he coming in to play point guard or is he going to be a 5'11" shooting gaurd?.....Unless he is built like a tank....gonna be hard being a short guy in a major conference....

He has an extremely athletic build along with a frame that will easily add muscle. I'm not worried about his lack of height.

He's 6'1" with decent length for his height & hops better than most of the team. I think he'll be just fine even if he plays some 2.

Atascocita won the game tonight 63-37. WOW. I can't see the box score without making an account, but I bet Carsen had a lot to do with that.

Edwards scored 16 as four starters scored in double figures they got out to a big lead and cruised .

can you say Yogi with better defense and higher scoring potential? yea, that's what we are getting!!!!!

can you say Yogi with better defense and higher scoring potential? yea, that's what we are getting!!!!!
Wouldn't go that far. Higher scoring potential??? Yogi may be the best scorer not named Valentine in the conference. I don't doubt Carsen cant do it, he will have to be an absolute gym rat to become that player.

Reactions: nagemj02
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT