ADVERTISEMENT

Teams to Avoid in NCAAs

pubill

Redshirt Freshman
Jan 2, 2021
OK we should one way or the other, be sole Big 10 Champion, and I am in the camp with what I believe are most on here, I dont really care about the Big 10 tourney, so looking ahead to tourney:

I am in my 60's and watched our last 2 Final 4's, just want one more. Got me thinking, we have saw the type of teams we don't want to meet in NCAAs, I have a few, interested in who else you are thinking are in that vein.

I believe we dont want to face Kansas until Final 4, even though I despise that smug Self, he is a great coach and knows how to get job done in tourney. Though we can all remember that Purdue team in Hummel's 5th year who made Self's butt pucker. Kansas is plain TOUGH, plays hard, unafraid. They have some big time play makers, which I do not see a way we can control. Just think this would be an awful opponent for us, hopefullly could not happen till Final 4.

Baylor is the other, who we would probably have to meet in a Elite 8 game. They have 3 elite guards, who I do not see anyway we can figure out how to guard, see JHS. Drew has won one, so obviously has the experience and one of the best. Just would like to miss them please.

Those are 1st 2 that come to mind.

Completely agree with your 2.

I would add Alabama (I don't want to be the 2 seed in their bracket). Way too athletic and long for my liking.

Here are a few maybe less obvious ones:

TCU - Just a tough, mature (old) team. Been through the B12 and will be glad to play other teams.

Arizona - Have sputtered a little like us, but have the bigs to give Edey problems and enough athletes to cause our guards issues.

Xavier - Have really had a nice season and fly a little under the radar. Another tough team that won't be scared of Edey.

Marquette - I do not want a rematch with them. They are vastly improved since we played them. Play very hard and will be looking for a little revenge.

I watch a lot of hoops outside of the B1G. There are a lot of teams that worry me and I don't want to see in our bracket. Hopefully we regain some of our swagger and getting out of this conference for some games will be good for us.

I love this question and will take some time to answer later. At the same time, I wonder who is listing us as who they don't want to play.
I think there are some aspects of this year in particular that can really hurt some teams that are doing well. What other conferences have refs that allow every screen to be a moving screen for N'western? I don't know. But the B1G has struggled for the past several years. Can Rutgers and Maryland play as rough as they have in-conference? Who knows.

As most others have said:
Kansas --- Marquette --- Arizona --- Baylor

Lower down:
Creighton --- IU --- Utah St. --- Providence

Teams I don't think will be around for us:
Alabama --- Tenn --- Texas --- Gonzaga

Last edited:
OK we should one way or the other, be sole Big 10 Champion, and I am in the camp with what I believe are most on here, I dont really care about the Big 10 tourney, so looking ahead to tourney:

I am in my 60's and watched our last 2 Final 4's, just want one more. Got me thinking, we have saw the type of teams we don't want to meet in NCAAs, I have a few, interested in who else you are thinking are in that vein.

I believe we dont want to face Kansas until Final 4, even though I despise that smug Self, he is a great coach and knows how to get job done in tourney. Though we can all remember that Purdue team in Hummel's 5th year who made Self's butt pucker. Kansas is plain TOUGH, plays hard, unafraid. They have some big time play makers, which I do not see a way we can control. Just think this would be an awful opponent for us, hopefullly could not happen till Final 4.

Baylor is the other, who we would probably have to meet in a Elite 8 game. They have 3 elite guards, who I do not see anyway we can figure out how to guard, see JHS. Drew has won one, so obviously has the experience and one of the best. Just would like to miss them please.

Team to avoid? ....
That's the Boiler team scoring below 75 pts. When we roll offensively, our D is good enough imo.

15-0 when we score 75+

Kansas has been there so experience plus great talent is a plus. I’d like to win the BTT and go into tournament on a role. The last Big to win regular season and tourney ( easily) won it all.

Reactions: ImRonBurgandy?
We just need to worry about beating the next opponent. These “Teams we would like to avoid” often times never cross our paths, because they get beat. We need to take advantage of good fortune in our bracket for once. Be the GD hunters for a change!! Let’s go!!

Last edited:
Reactions: RossMackey
Agree on Alabama, even when they aren't shooting, they deliver.
Watched Alabama last night. They are very athletic. I don’t see them as a good match. We would have to turn the game into a half court match. No way we could run with them.

Not specific to Purdue or even Indiana.

Oral Roberts
Florida Atlantic
Kennesaw State
Charleston

Our team overachieved this season and painter should be praised for all of it. I don't think this team is built for a run. Not a great 3 point shooting team, we turn it over too much, and we are either too small or not athletic enough in the 1-3 position except newman. There's several schools that will give us fits starting with Kansas, Arizona, alabama, arkansas, iu....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT