ADVERTISEMENT

Smith

BoilerDaddy

All-American
Mar 26, 2009
I am going to go on a bit of a limb and say that last night’s performance by Smith was as good as any point guard performance that I have seen at Purdue under Painter. His stats were great, but his actual performance was probably even better than his stats indicate. You can’t go under screens with him. You can’t go over screens with him. He’s just a really good freshman.

I am going to go on a bit of a limb and say that last night’s performance by Smith was as good as any point guard performance that I have seen at Purdue under Painter. His stats were great, but his actual performance was probably even better than his stats indicate. You can’t go under screens with him. You can’t go over screens with him. He’s just a really good freshman.

He was fabulous. So fun to watch.
Then again the D was marginal. He has been way good for a frosh, and just dominant at times.

Hopefully, the team scoring kicks up a bit. No doubt the team has great D that has saved us often....but the ~30 pt halves leave you exposed to good offensive teams. Eventually, that will bite us. Obviously, not a factor vs. MN.

Reactions: Zaphod_B and TX4GB
It’s kind of making me wonder if he’s good enough at this point to dominate bad or even average teams in the NCAA, but still struggles against a good team.

The whole thing is interesting, Hunter who was a C point guard at best IMO....leaves, so many have a melt down ....what are we gonna do ? Braden comes in and has been amazing , go back to W.Virginia, Gonzaga, Duke....poise , played like a leader....this has been a joy to watch , Painter must have had some idea ...? Him and Fletch with Edey ....all unsung heros , low HS ratings , not worth it to the Big Boys of BB.....and here is Painter with them , taking it to the house, that's what makes this story so great....he gave them a chance when no one else thought they were Worth the investment.....so much for 5 star HS ratings....whatever happens it has been great ....unexpected, fun....and add next year's group with this , in particular Colvin....more fun ahead...Painter Coach of the Year , with Players of the Year.

Last edited:
The whole thing is interesting, Hunter who was a C point guard at best IMO....leaves, so many have a melt down ....what are we gonna do ? Braden comes in and has been amazing , go back to W.Virginia, Gonzaga, Duke....poise , played like a leader....this has been a joy to watch , Painter must have had some idea ...? Him and Fletch with Edey ....all unsung heros , low HS ratings , not worth it to the Big Boys of BB.....and here is Painter with them , taking it to the house, that's what makes this story so great....he gave them a chance when no one else thought they were Worth the investment.....so much for 5 star HS ratings....whatever happens it has been great ....unexpected, fun....and add next year's group with this , in particular Colvin....more fun ahead...Painter Coach of the Year , with Players of the Year.
I think it proves to an extent that the system matters more than the individual players. It makes me think of the year Tom Brady was hurt— they played Matt Cassel at QB that season and still won like 13 games. It’a because the system was good enough to compensate for a worse player.

Of course in college basketball that’s hard because there are fewer guys on the court at once. And I think the quality of person matters a lot— which speaks to the character of Smith and Loyer imho.

LewJack was really good and so was Kramer. The thing about Kramer is he was actually a very good scorer, he just didn’t need to score in most games because of his teammates. I remember games where he took over during dry spells. He always had it in him to score, he just didn’t need to most of the time.

did the announcer keep calling him greg smith? i know he thought foster loyer played for the boilers.

I'm not sure that is going out on the limb considering a few of his games. There have been a few times where he quickly passed to another "also open" that wasn't as good a shooter that I wish he would just be a little more selfish... BTW, Trey hasn't shot a 3 for a few games, Ethan has not taken as many open shots it seems that were "available" and Caleb maybe a bit more reluctant to shoot when the shots were available. Mason maybe a bit more likely to shoot...Braden more likely to shoot, and Brandon and Fletcher...just let them see the rim... ;)

Reactions: Schnelk
He had a few more turnovers than I like to see but several of those were good passes that teammates weren’t looking for or ready for.
When he drives and hooks the pass over head or behind his head to Trey it is not as high or near the rim like for zach. Therefore, it is in more traffic for Trey who has had trouble bringing it in. That is probably the more consistent pass where teh connection doesn't happen.

Lew Jack, pre injury, had the ability to be a one man press breaker and was quick to the hoop.
Smith sees the floor better, is quick enough and has a way better 3 pt shot.
better shooter overall....but LewJack shared a lot of his other qualities

I think it proves to an extent that the system matters more than the individual players. It makes me think of the year Tom Brady was hurt— they played Matt Cassel at QB that season and still won like 13 games. It’a because the system was good enough to compensate for a worse player.

Of course in college basketball that’s hard because there are fewer guys on the court at once. And I think the quality of person matters a lot— which speaks to the character of Smith and Loyer imho.
I think some players match some systems better than other systems or approaches. FWIW, I'm unaware of a system, that Braden couldn't be effective

Reactions: Schnelk
I'm not sure that is going out on the limb considering a few of his games. There have been a few times where he quickly passed to another "also open" that wasn't as good a shooter that I wish he would just be a little more selfish... BTW, Trey hasn't shot a 3 for a few games, Ethan has not taken as many open shots it seems that were "available" and Caleb maybe a bit more reluctant to shoot when the shots were available. Mason maybe a bit more likely to shoot...Braden more likely to shoot, and Brandon and Fletcher...just let them see the rim... ;)

Maybe not much of a limb, but Painter has coached almost 600 games at Purdue, so that’s a lot of games to compare to.

The one game that comes to mind as a good one was LewJack at MSU in 2011, but I think that Smith last night was a little better.

great post, best true point we ever had

Reactions: seminolesboilers
He was fabulous. So fun to watch.
Then again the D was marginal. He has been way good for a frosh, and just dominant at times.

Hopefully, the team scoring kicks up a bit. No doubt the team has great D that has saved us often....but the ~30 pt halves leave you exposed to good offensive teams. Eventually, that will bite us. Obviously, not a factor vs. MN.
in the 2nd half, he did that double dribble between his legs and broke down their PG and went to the basket for 2 was so fun to watch

Maybe not much of a limb, but Painter has coached almost 600 games at Purdue, so that’s a lot of games to compare to.

The one game that comes to mind as a good one was LewJack at MSU in 2011, but I think that Smith last night was a little better.
But the comprehensive list of things desired as a ball player playing the 1 or even the 2 eliminates a lot of players. Lewis Jackson would be teh only comparison for delivery of the ball while running the team filled with players that could really move...and Lewis while at Purdue was not considered a really good shooter. Ironically, it was Lewis in the last alumni game???? that hit the winning shot on the right elbow across from the visitors bench. I think we could list other players that did this or that better than this or that person, but his total package is pretty solid.

Still whatever comparison anyone makes, most would agree that Braden is really good and Braden himself wouldn't care for anything but winning...which most of Matt's players are also like. He will have a couple more big tests...one with Maryland and their quick guard and down at IU where the game many times gets physical and the moonshine permeates the air for those unused to the effects.

Im just glad to see him shooting 3's last night!!!! He has been passing up way to many open looks in several games!! Kids got a great stroke!
I think many want him to be just a bit more selfish at times, but he wants to engage the others first so much...and that makes all the others work just a bit more all over the court...

Braden Smith is a point guard who Purdue has sorely missed on past teams. His basketball IQ is ahead (maybe, even way ahead) of his true freshman status. He brings out the maximum potential in Edey and allows Purdue to fully exploit its big man advantage at center. It's amazing what a talented point guard can do to elevate a team's play...

Reactions: DrEss and TX4GB
Smith is better than Jackson was as a freshman. Jackson became a lockdown defender later in his career, Smith can be the same. Jackson was quicker, Smith pretty savvy at finding lanes to the hoop. Smith is a better shooter. I'd rate Jackson slightly higher given his body of work, but Smith will likely surpass him over the next few years.

Lewis Jackson would have to be second, though I think that Kelsey Barlow had the talent to be great had he been able to stay focused.

Barlow kind of reminds me of Newman. Looks great at times, NBA body and athleticism, just cant put it all together for some reason.

Interested in how he comes back against M$U? Had 4pts, 6A, 1R last time......An average game by his standards. Nice when we can call a 6A game average, huh? But for him yea, probably was.

Can he apply knowledge of last time and come back angry & be dominant next time? Or is the M$U point guard just to quick for him to get around? Looking forward to both our guards going off and burying M$U next time. Hate those guys.

Interested in how he comes back against M$U? Had 4pts, 6A, 1R last time......An average game by his standards. Nice when we can call a 6A game average, huh? But for him yea, probably was.

Can he apply knowledge of last time and come back angry & be dominant next time? Or is the M$U point guard just to quick for him to get around? Looking forward to both our guards going off and burying M$U next time. Hate those guys.
It looked like MSU's strategy was to get physical with him. And the refs called fouls on Smith. Yeah, I expect he'll accept the challenge and be ready next time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT