ADVERTISEMENT

If we're making changes let's talk about the redshirting

SCBoiler1

Sophomore
Feb 10, 2014
The narrative by some on this board is that Purdue is a team that gets old and stays old. While a lot of our guys are older because they entered college older than your typical college freshmen, we really never seem to have to many seniors. Why is that?

I went back and looked at our recruiting classes and found that from 2009 through 2018 (10 years before the class of Gillis, Newman and IT) only 37.5% of our recruits used up their eligibility at Purdue. That includes 4 out of 5 guys from the 2014 class. Take that group out and its less than 1 in 3.

I don't see things changing with the transfer portal, so unless a guy is begging for a redshirt, what's the point? If a guy can play, let him play. If he can't have him available on an as needed basis. If he's not good enough to get any minutes and he's not satisfied let him transfer.

Reactions: DannyGranger
The narrative by some on this board is that Purdue is a team that gets old and stays old. While a lot of our guys are older because they entered college older than your typical college freshmen, we really never seem to have to many seniors. Why is that?

I went back and looked at our recruiting classes and found that from 2009 through 2018 (10 years before the class of Gillis, Newman and IT) only 37.5% of our recruits used up their eligibility at Purdue. That includes 4 out of 5 guys from the 2014 class. Take that group out and its less than 1 in 3.

I don't see things changing with the transfer portal, so unless a guy is begging for a redshirt, what's the point? If a guy can play, let him play. If he can't have him available on an as needed basis. If he's not good enough to get any minutes and he's not satisfied let him transfer.

Of all the problems @ WL, this might be the smallest one. Although with the transfer portal the way it is, RS makes no sense like you say.

I’d rather go acquire an impact 23 year old out of the portal than use a scholarship on a redshirt. Especially with the odds so long that the redshirt actually stays 5 years.

I'm pretty sure I remember at the beginning of the year the talk was that Painter leaves it up to the incoming freshman if they wanna redshirt....I'm sure they may be told there isn't much playtime

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT