ADVERTISEMENT

Caleb Furst

I have seen Furst play several times at BH. If he is a OAD I will be very surprised. Doesn't have NBA athleticism at this time. Don't disagree that he is going to be a great player for us and I'm thrilled CMP landed him. Just isn't a OAD IMO.

Let's hope not.

He’s got another year of development, but at this point, I don’t think he is close to Zeller. Imo, he reminds me a lot of Drew Timme, and I think his first year stats will be similar to Timme’s. Again, he has another year to develop before college.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/drew-timme-1.html
Zeller came in college-ready. For years he played pick up games against his two older brothers. That alone would have made him a force even in his freshman year. Never underestimate how brutal brothers can be in a pickup game.

I don’t see a lot of conversation about this kid. I was watching some highlights and he looks terrific. I was sort of comparing him to Kaufman. They are both good players, but it’s hard to judge from highlight vids because only the good stuff is included. I would love to get both, but I suspect that ship has sailed. They would make a great combination on the court at the same time.

He should come in in Tre Williams last year, I think, and play a few years with Ivey and Morton. That is going to be a terrific team!
I saw Furst play in some AAU tournaments in Indy and Milwaukee, he was solid and in those tourny's but didnt really stick out too much. He did seem like a good teammate though which is nice to see. So often they know all the scouts are watching and they want to get theirs and he didnt seem selfish the couple games I watched him play. He should fit in, but I expect him to take a couple seasons to get ready for the physicality of the Big Ten.

Reactions: oldboiler52
He's a baller ..Period..
I've seen him multiple times ..Even meet him going to his mom's SUV at the Fourm Tip Off at Southport last winter..I personally wanted him at IU over Lander by a bunch..
He's not playing all four yrs..He's that good..
But one of the above post says he's stronger and jumps better than TJD...I'd say that's questionable.
But the Boilers got a very player...

I saw Furst play in some AAU tournaments in Indy and Milwaukee, he was solid and in those tourny's but didnt really stick out too much. He did seem like a good teammate though which is nice to see. So often they know all the scouts are watching and they want to get theirs and he didnt seem selfish the couple games I watched him play. He should fit in, but I expect him to take a couple seasons to get ready for the physicality of the Big Ten.

LOL! Holy sh*t!

A 4-star player...
6'8", 215# (likely old data) ....
#1 in the state (24/7) ...
#5 nationally at his position...
#29 nationally overall...
... and, yet, he'll be a Junior before he'll be "ready for the physicality of the Big Ten"

o_O

Man, I've seen some bad takes on the algore-invented internet, and this one is pretty d@mn high up there!

LOL! Holy sh*t!

A 4-star player...
6'8", 215# (likely old data) ....
#1 in the state (24/7) ...
#5 nationally at his position...
#29 nationally overall...
... and, yet, he'll be a Junior before he'll be "ready for the physicality of the Big Ten"

o_O

Man, I've seen some bad takes on the algore-invented internet, and this one is pretty d@mn high up there!

Like the thought of having another Caleb from Fort Wayne on the team.
Expect good things and we may be one or two players away from Painter's first Final Four. Best players from Indiana in back-to-back years along with the best from PA and perhaps the best from TX :)

Reactions: Purdue85
Let's hope not.

To be fair, there's 2 different types of players. Those who make sound decisions to be one and done, and delusional people who think they are. Furst is #33 nationally. That's not even a first round pick in his class, let alone when you add in international players. The NBA is a very small pond.

Reactions: Dryfly88
Like the thought of having another Caleb from Fort Wayne on the team.
Expect good things and we may be one or two players away from Painter's first Final Four. Best players from Indiana in back-to-back years along with the best from PA and perhaps the best from TX :)
“Best player from Indiana in back-to-back years” LOL :rolleyes:

He's a baller ..Period..
I've seen him multiple times ..Even meet him going to his mom's SUV at the Fourm Tip Off at Southport last winter..I personally wanted him at IU over Lander by a bunch..
He's not playing all four yrs..He's that good..
But one of the above post says he's stronger and jumps better than TJD...I'd say that's questionable.
But the Boilers got a very player...

I haven’t seen him play. TJD gets off the floor extremely well. He was a 5*. If Furst has his type of athleticism (even close) I think he’s a real find. Furst might be a bit bigger and hopefully will play the C for us. Both guys are terrific talents

To be fair, there's 2 different types of players. Those who make sound decisions to be one and done, and delusional people who think they are. Furst is #33 nationally. That's not even a first round pick in his class, let alone when you add in international players. The NBA is a very small pond.
That NBA pond may look a lot different if the players decide not to finish the season in protest.

Reactions: hoosierdog1
Ivey was by far the best senior in Indiana this year. Furst is by the best player in the state next year
Lol Lander is by far the best player from Indiana in the 2020 class. Furst will probably be the best player from 2021 from Indiana though. Although Kaufman did win Gatorade POY as a Junior which almost never happens.

Lol Lander is by far the best player from Indiana in the 2020 class. Furst will probably be the best player from 2021 from Indiana though. Although Kaufman did win Gatorade POY as a Junior which almost never happens.
I'm assuming we both like what we have coming in to both our programs. The key factor is coach and that's where we tip the scale.

Reactions: Do Dah Day
Lander didn’t even make first team all state. Ivey would have if he didn’t go to prep school. Did lander ever win a sectional? All of landers accolades are from aau. He is a good player, but frail and undersized like phinessee. Phinissee can’t stay healthy, and lander will have problems too. The big ten is brutal on frailties

Lander didn’t even make first team all state. Ivey would have if he didn’t go to prep school. Did lander ever win a sectional? All of landers accolades are from aau. He is a good player, but frail and undersized like phinessee. Phinissee can’t stay healthy, and lander will have problems too. The big ten is brutal on frailties

Common sense says a 170lb PG playing up a year will struggle physically in the Big Ten. He seems a little soft, but I am just a fan with an opinion and a keyboard.....if he is a true 5 star talent he might be an exception. Trae Young had similar build and that's history. I think Phinisee is better player next year for IU though.

Back on topic. Furst will be a stud and was THE in state recruit in '21 Purdue needed to fill out the roster perfectly.

I'm assuming we both like what we have coming in to both our programs. The key factor is coach and that's where we tip the scale.
So you think Purdue will be better than IU in this upcoming season? Shouldn’t be difficult considering you have the great Matt Painter leading the way, and we just have little Archie Miller.

Lander’s supporting cast in high school was terrible. You can’t prove Ivey would have been 1st team all state. Anthony Leal did win Mr. Basketball though leading his team to a 26-0 record.

AAU is more important than high school. You are playing against actual competition in AAU. It’s the reason you can have a player average damn near a triple double in high school and only average 3/3/3 in AAU.

Lander and Ivey will both be decent as freshman. They should both have really good careers at their respective schools. There is no doubt Lander is the better player of the two at this point though. One is a 5* top 25 player while the other is a 4* top 100 player.

So you think Purdue will be better than IU in this upcoming season? Shouldn’t be difficult considering you have the great Matt Painter leading the way, and we just have little Archie Miller.
Keep cheering for that 11th place B1G finish little fella.

Reactions: Purdue85
Lander’s supporting cast in high school was terrible. You can’t prove Ivey would have been 1st team all state. Anthony Leal did win Mr. Basketball though leading his team to a 26-0 record.

AAU is more important than high school. You are playing against actual competition in AAU. It’s the reason you can have a player average damn near a triple double in high school and only average 3/3/3 in AAU.

Lander and Ivey will both be decent as freshman. They should both have really good careers at their respective schools. There is no doubt Lander is the better player of the two at this point though. One is a 5* top 25 player while the other is a 4* top 100 player.

Just wondering:
Does IU need a frail PG?
Does Illinois need a SG?
Does MSU need a center?
DOes Michigan need a center?
Does Rutgers need a center?
Does Purdue need a scoring guard?

I haven’t seen him play. TJD gets off the floor extremely well. He was a 5*. If Furst has his type of athleticism (even close) I think he’s a real find. Furst might be a bit bigger and hopefully will play the C for us. Both guys are terrific talents

I don't see the comparisons to TJD with Furst honestly. Furst taller, TJD stronger/much more athletic. Both very good around the basket although I will say Furst may be a little more skilled (better with both hands, better shooting touch, better face up game). I will say that TJD excelled in the defensive department as a freshman. That's usually the toughest transition from high school ball to the college level. I think Furst brings immediate offensive contributions to Purdue as a freshman but question his defensive capabilities especially if Painter plans on playing Williams and Furst together.

Reactions: Zaphod_B
Furst can make a shot outside two feet. Furst is bigger and stronger. Furst can put the ball on the floor. Tjd is a better dunker

I like your comment about "better dunker." All that means is the aesthetic value of putting the ball in the basket. Doesn't matter what the scores of 1 to 10 are about the aesthetic value of a dunk, they are "all" only worth two points.

Furst can make a shot outside two feet. Furst is bigger and stronger. Furst can put the ball on the floor. Tjd is a better dunker
TJD is a better rebounder and shot blocker. TJD was very good as a freshman only being able to make a shot inside two feet and really only going to his left hand. How dominant will he be with added range and a right hand next year? Yikes.

TJD is a better rebounder and shot blocker. TJD was very good as a freshman only being able to make a shot inside two feet and really only going to his left hand. How dominant will he be with added range and a right hand next year? Yikes.
How dominant will Aaron Wheeler be with Kyrie Irving handles, James Harden stepbacks and Rudy Gobert defense next year? Yikes.

How dominant will Aaron Wheeler be with Kyrie Irving handles, James Harden stepbacks and Rudy Gobert defense next year? Yikes.
Nice exaggeration. TJD is a solid free throw shooter. We’ve been told he is working extremely hard on expanding his range. It probably won’t happen a ton, because there really is no point since he was already a very good scorer as a freshman. It’s not at all unrealistic to think he will be come at the very least capable from mid range and using his right hand.

Wheeler becoming Kyrie, James Harden, Rudy Gobert, or even good college player is far less likely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT